Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

Caranica wrote: »
    You don't pay extra for passport express, it is the standard passport submission method now. And the ten day turnaround is long gone. Current passport express turnaround time is 23 working days! Online is 10 working days

You pay An Post a processing fee over and above the passport fee for what is supposed to be an express service. If like us, and the OP, you are applying for or renewing a passport for a minor you don't have the option of using the online service for which you don't pay extra.

They advise a 15 working day turnaround but do not guarantee it and can change it at will. Advice is to allow up to 6 weeks.

Doesn't bother us particularly as we've allowed plenty of time. Just annoying for people who are expecting a reasonable turnaround time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There is no such thing as a standard fee any more. Passport "Express" is the standard. I agree they need to rebrand it as Passport Post or something like that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just an update regarding current dates & times etc for a passport application via Passport Express (for an under 18 so couldn't renew online).

Sent the application off via An Post on January 31st
    They received it on February 1st (as per their online tracker), and gave an estimated issue date of February 22nd.
    Passport was issued & dispatched on March 6th & arrived on March 7th (to Dublin).

5 weeks total from sending the application to receiving the passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

and why did you go and get paper forms, paper photos, go to garda station and get all signed, then go to post office - when you could have done it in 10 minutes online ?

havent a clue what the options are, but the advice is definitely that you should have done it online and have it in as little as 2 or 3 days.

The website really isn't great, has conflicting information.

On the Turnaround Times page, under the Passport Renewals heading:
    "If the travel date is more than three weeks (15 working days) away, then the Passport Express service operated by An Post is the most convenient and secure method of applying."

There's no advice on this page suggesting the online service should be used, on the contrary it clearly advises using Passport Express if your trip is more that 15 working days away. Despite the fact that the current turnaround time displayed is 24 working days.

Other pages recommend using the online method alright. But I could see how people would start by wanting to know how long it's going to take, and then just follow the incorrect advice on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

fdevine wrote: »
    We submitted a renewal via Passport "Express" with a due date given as 22nd February. Been at "processing" for ages now. Cannot be relied upon IMHO. Promised 10 day turnaround is not accurate but they won't tell you that so you pay the extra regardless.

Who "promised" you 10 day though? If it was an post then you need to go back an complain to them, their staff shouldn't such false information. More people do it, their staff my actually start providing accurate information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Hi , anyone received a passport in the last week or less ? I'm just wondering if the estimated date on the passport tracker is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi , anyone received a passport in the last week or less ? I'm just wondering if the estimated date on the passport tracker is accurate.

Received 2 last week - 1 adult renewal & 1 minor renewal

21 working days for them to mark it as 'received' to 'dispatched' date - Dates taken from their own passport online tracking system.

Hope this helps & best of luck I hope you're ok.

I just wanted to post my own query separately in case it was lost in the above reply - Hope that's ok!

I'm waiting on another 3 passports that are together in one passport express application that was made around 5 weeks ago and we are due to fly on Sat next for a family holiday with the kids :(

All of the passports are now past their stated due-date and we do have proof of flights that I can bring with me to the public counter. (Which I’m hoping will make them inclined to facilitate us.)

For some reason the Passport Office has stopped answering calls on their public customer service line. They've also closed the webchat and don't seem to be answering emails?

The reason they give is that it is too busy - Problem is that I'm a 3 hour drive away from their Dublin office in Mount street so how can I now make a simple enquiry or even get a basic update???

It’s a horrible feeling and can’t understand how they can just decide to operate this way.

Could somebody out there please tell me if I can just call to the office in person and state my case/show my proof of travel and then wait to collect these in person and all will be saved?

Am unsure if I travel up some morning this week will they do something for me? Send me away? Tell me to come back the following day?

- Its also driving me nuts that other people seem to be able to apply for a passport in person and get it in 3-4 days – We’ve paid a lot of money for this 5 weeks ago and gotten nothing but worry, stress and recorded messages on a phone line.

At this point I would be so grateful if somebody could give me a plan of action that I can just follow to get this done – am a bit lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I just wanted to post my own query separately in case it was lost in the above reply - Hope that's ok!

I'm waiting on another 3 passports that are together in one passport express application that was made around 5 weeks ago and we are due to fly on Sat next for a family holiday with the kids :(

All of the passports are now past their stated due-date and we do have proof of flights that I can bring with me to the public counter. (Which I’m hoping will make them inclined to facilitate us.)

For some reason the Passport Office has stopped answering calls on their public customer service line. They've also closed the webchat and don't seem to be answering emails?

The reason they give is that it is too busy - Problem is that I'm a 3 hour drive away from their Dublin office in Mount street so how can I now make a simple enquiry or even get a basic update???

It’s a horrible feeling and can’t understand how they can just decide to operate this way.

Could somebody out there please tell me if I can just call to the office in person and state my case/show my proof of travel and then wait to collect these in person and all will be saved?

Am unsure if I travel up some morning this week will they do something for me? Send me away? Tell me to come back the following day?

- Its also driving me nuts that other people seem to be able to apply for a passport in person and get it in 3-4 days – We’ve paid a lot of money for this 5 weeks ago and gotten nothing but worry, stress and recorded messages on a phone line.

At this point I would be so grateful if somebody could give me a plan of action that I can just follow to get this done – am a bit lost.

That is outrageous, Mango.

All I can say is if it was me, I would be onto the relevant Govt. Dept. first thing in the morning and raise hell. Don't relent until you've got the official paper/s in your hand to get you and yours on that flight.

Your'e paying, twice or three times, for this bloody shambles.

Best of luck, and let us know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I needed to go to the office in 2016. People with appointments were seen first and then people without. They seemed to be getting through the people rapidly. They were really good to deal with and seem to make it a priority that people don't miss flights. I went in for a new passport on the Wednesday I think it was and it was ready to collect on the Friday. I'd be confident they'll sort you out if you make the trip and say how far you have travelled. Just get there early as possible and hopefully they can sort it all in the day to save you going back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Nubble33

What stage does it say on your tracking information?

If your passports are already in the system they may be being printed in Balbriggan so Mount Street might not be the right location. Get in touch with your local TD, they will get the info for you

Thanks for the replies folks.

At the moment on the online tracker they each say "processing". Issue is it can be like that for days..... I just have no way of telling.

Going to look into taking a day off work and driving up - Wouldn't be too bad if I was guaranteed success? Have no idea if it'll work.

Also my wife can't nominate me to officially collect as they've turned themselves into a fully uncontactable office.

Strangely if you have an ongoing application then you're not supposed to make an appointment. Seems a bit unfair that you are then set up by the system to have to then wait behind the appointment folks then who are essentially just starting their application process?

Strangely if you have an ongoing application then you're not supposed to make an appointment. Seems a bit unfair that you are then set up by the system to have to then wait behind the appointment folks then who are essentially just starting their application process?

Yep that is a joke of a system, apply 6 weeks before departure date and sweat it out for 6 weeks . Apply via passport office two weeks before departure date and get it in 5 days. A bit annoying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

It is as if they reward tardiness and stupidity.

Yep, and the passport office is uncontactable for anyone that's applied via An post , I've tried all their suggested means of contact :
    Phone , no answer.
    Twitter DM , no reply
    Email, no reply.
    Help webchat , unavailable.
    Office appointment , no go as application sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why would you apply in the minimum recommended time? It should go without saying, apply well before you intend to travel. In this instance, while their lack of communication is an issue, the blaim ultimately lies with the OP.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why would you apply in the minimum recommended time? It should go without saying, apply well before you intend to travel. In this instance, while their lack of communication is an issue, the blaim ultimately lies with the OP.

I'd have to agree here.

In my case (about 1 page back), We are travelling in June, child's passport expires in April, so I kicked off the replacement process in January giving us ample time to get it. When the online tracker completion date came & went, I wasn't bothered in the slightest with the delay, and eventually received in 2 weeks after the promised date.

For the OP, you said you can't get proof of flights to bring with you! Can you bring anything that might help your cause, copy of work holiday request or something?

Holiday was a gift, applied for passport on 16th Feb for Mar 27 departure via Passport Express . According to online info and tracker no issue. Our projected issue for passport date is still Mar 20th and you would expect it to be accurate as they haven't just started in the business of passports in the last 6 no the.

Mar 27 departure . Our projected issue for passport date is still Mar 20th

I'd be taking a spin up to the office if I were you.

I got mine 2 weeks after projected date, and that was only last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Wouldn't life be great if everyone had your efficiency. You must check your passport expiry date every month......just to be sure like.

Yep, and the passport office is uncontactable for anyone that's applied via An post , I've tried all their suggested means of contact :
    Phone , no answer.
    Twitter DM , no reply
    Email, no reply.
    Help webchat , unavailable.
    Office appointment , no go as application sent.

Yes - This is a bit much.

I rang at 8.59am and their recorded message says they are closed.
    I rang at 9am and their recorded message says they cannot answer due the high volume of calls.

To those who are blaming me - We called 2-3 times in advance and were told by their customer advisers the current turnover time was 15 working days (at that point in time) and to add another 2 just in case - which was still well before our flight time.

As of now we're at 27 working days which is a more than 40% allowance on their guideline time.

The timing of this trip was also brought forward due to substantial and valid personal reasons unfortunately.

& Yes it is a bit off that there people in there every day of the week collecting passports facilitated by the [no doubt excellent staff] who are being re-routed away from standard applications.....

When you decide to randomly stop answering the public phone line in a public service office it has a much greater effect on the taxpayer living outside Dublin.

@ Andy no - I actually said we do have proof of flights..... Not sure where you got that impression!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mable123

I'm in the exact same boat. Travelling 24th march. Applied 20th Feb for first time passport for child. Still processing which means it hasn't even been looked at. I sent a reg. letter with proof of flights, rang and called to office. No one can help until it's assigned for checking. It's sitting there with the file getting fatter but no one is yet assigned to work the case. Will contacting T.D help? BTW it's no good assigning blame and telling people what they should or shouldnt have done. Passport express is upposed to take 10 to 15 working days. If peole have something helpful to say then great otherwise take your high horse to another discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

Turnaround time will vary based on demand and demand is currently very high.

An Post really need to be pulled up on the marketing of Passport Express as basically people are paying the guts of €10 for return registered post and not much else.

Our <18 renewal took 5 weeks. Received by Passport Office on 5th February. Estimated issue date was 22nd February. Arrived 13th March.

Just as there is no point in apportioning blame to stressed out individuals with iminent travel plans for not allowing adequate time for an application, there is also no point in blaming An Post or the Passport Office or anyone else because it's taking longer than tentatively advised or longer than expected or because someone you know or read about got it quicker.

If you need a passport, or passports, in less than six weeks don't take a chance and make an appointment or where possible apply online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 law1996

Lost my passport so went to the passport office today! The office says my passport will be ready for collection on the 29th of march but I'm flying on the 30th! Is this room for concern or are they fairly reliable at having passports ready for collection on the date given?

Thanks for all of the replies folks - Yes I wish we had applied earlier of course... our circumstances didn't allow for this so we followed the advice of the Passport office themselves and made an application on a reasonably tight deadline with their approval.

We've not yelling, blaming or finger-pointing - We simply want to do what we can within reason to save the situation.

Can anyone advise around the practicalities of turning up in the Offices on Mount Street? How long might you expect to wait and if its an option to try this?

Thanks again - Appreciate your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 law1996

Lost my passport so went to the passport office today! The office says my passport will be ready for collection on the 29th of march but I'm flying on the 30th! Is this room for concern or are they fairly reliable at having passports ready for collection on the date given?

• Advertisement

Mable123 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat. Travelling 24th march. Applied 20th Feb for first time passport for child. Still processing which means it hasn't even been looked at. I sent a reg. letter with proof of flights, rang and called to office. No one can help until it's assigned for checking. It's sitting there with the file getting fatter but no one is yet assigned to work the case. Will contacting T.D help? BTW it's no good assigning blame and telling people what they should or shouldnt have done. Passport express is upposed to take 10 to 15 working days. If peole have something helpful to say then great otherwise take your high horse to another discussion

Current passport express turnaround time is 20 working days down from 23 earlier in the week. However first time passports take longer. Advice on the dfa website is to apply at least 6 weeks before travel.

Definitely contact your TD, it can make a difference (much as it shouldn't)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement