Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert Higher Irish 2014 - Before and after discussion

Options
  • 16-05-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Anybody have any idea of whats likely to come up for honours irish lc paper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JD244

Our teachers saying Dís and Colscaradh, I think. I clearly need more Gaeilge prep. She's new to the job and hoping their going to cycle through the syllabus. Essay's focused mainly on the culú and a good few topics linked in to it so emigration, politics, lives of young people today, education, even sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Curious x

Thanks... best of luck with the study :)

Anybody any ideas on possible an triail question/ aiste titles??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

For the aiste study social and youth problems, that covers drugs alchohol crime ,education system etc and then youre sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

JD244 wrote: »
    Our teachers saying Dís and Colscaradh

Do you really think they'd put Dís and Colscaradh on the same paper? It's just that the themes are quite similar :cool: Most people are saying An Spailpín for the filíocht but how can any of us be sure really :P

However the author of Dís, Siobhán Ní Shuilleabháin, died in June 2013 according to this: http://www.dinglepost.com/post/54154587951/john-b-keane-said-dingle-peninsula-woman-was-best
    so maybe Dís will be on the paper, as a tribute to her?

• Advertisement

Thanks.... Stresssss!! 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mundy07

Thanks for all your help.
    Do you know what is coming up on An Triail? Is a technical setup question a realistic choice? I'd imagine it would be a real bummer if it come up.

Mundy07 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help.
    Do you know what is coming up on An Triail? Is a technical setup question a realistic choice? I'd imagine it would be a real bummer if it come up.

Apparently so, I've heard a lot of people talking about it, and last year lots of people thought that either Dramatic Techniques or Role of Men in the Play would be up, and it was "An páirt a ghlacann Pádraig" ! So perhaps it'll be the techniques this year!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056962646&page=2

An Triail questions were being discussed on this thread around this time last year... and someone posted a sample answer on dramatic techniques! :D

Also, one of the ecdo sample questions is:
    "Déan trácht ar an tragóid a léirítear sa dráma seo agus ar an gcaoi a gcuirtear an tragóid sin os ár gcomhair".
    That could include dramatic techniques, so it might not be a direct question, but one in which the techniques can be included in the answer! :o

Go n-éirí leat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mundy07

Thanks a million. I realty appreciate it.

"gach duine" or "chuile duine" ?

I'm doing an Irish question, and I've literally been sitting here debating it for the last 5 minutes :pac:

Any opinions? Which do you prefer? :P

• Advertisement

Chuile duine would be a higher standard of irish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

One is Connaught Irish, the other Munster. Both are standard according to the Caighdéan Oifigiúil.

How long should the pros/filìocht questions be?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

Finding it really difficult to study for the Poems/Stories, and I'm someone who has to have things learned off, can't just make it up in the exam! What topics should on focus on like themes,imagery etc.

Ye im just focusing on the heading in the books/ sample questions... im writing out a question now on Dìs. about the woman being unhappy in her marriage. Feels like theres just so much to do :-/

Curious x wrote: »
    Ye im just focusing on the heading in the books/ sample questions... im writing out a question now on Dìs. about the woman being unhappy in her marriage. Feels like theres just so much to do :-/

Like Dís for example, I'm learning the theme, emotions, man, woman, humour and relationship between them, do u think that's enough?

Maybe learn abit on the author too... she died in june last year as somebody posted in this thread so they might ask about her as a tribute but other than that im just learning the same as you mentioned. Have u many essays learned?

Curious x wrote: »
    Maybe learn abit on the author too... she died in june last year as somebody posted in this thread so they might ask about her as a tribute but other than that im just learning the same as you mentioned. Have u many essays learned?

Have Recession, Problems in Ireland(emigration,politics,poverty etc.), Problems of Young People today, The Media and Poverty all kinda prepared but I still need to learn them, and I'm thinking of doing a scéal just in case nothing comes up in the Aiste, what topics are u doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

For Spailpin Fanach, what would you say for the importance of logainmneacha in the poem? :eek:

Dont get TOO stressed out about irish poetry. Its only worth 5% and youll probably get atleast 2.5% if you even know the main gist of the poem. But yes learn logainmneacha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Everyone on here seems to do An Triall for the options, anyone else do Toraiocht? :(

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Dont get TOO stressed out about irish poetry. Its only worth 5% and youll probably get atleast 2.5% if you even know the main gist of the poem. But yes learn logainmneacha.

I want/need a B1/A2 though!
    Oral went really good so..

Everyone on here seems to do An Triall for the options, anyone else do Toraiocht? :(

Doin extra poetry Q's

cferry3 wrote: »
    I want/need a B1/A2 though!
    Oral went really good so..

I'm in the same boat, was never planning on counting Irish but my Irish oral went swimmingly so I'm thinking it may be better to focus on Irish instead of English :o

I have no notes on logainmneacha, what should I say for it?

Like Dís for example, I'm learning the theme, emotions, man, woman, humour and relationship between them, do u think that's enough?

Definitely. Not much else you could study for it!
    aleatorio wrote: »

Well just off the top of my head, caiseal comes from the old irish word for castle. Talk about that and how the language changed. Emm Cluain meala, means Honey field. There was a field with honey flowers and thats how it got its name. Carrack -Siure means rock on the river Suir. Thats all i can think of i havnt gone over the notes yet!! Sory i probably wasnt much help:pac:

Seriously struggling with 'An Triail' haven't a notion what to study!

Seriously struggling with 'An Triail' haven't a notion what to study!

Did your teacher do extra poetry with you or just an triall?

Did your teacher do extra poetry with you or just an triall?

Just 'An Triail'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

aleatorio wrote: »

This will be like 6 marks so only a few sentences. Literally all you needs to say is that all the logainmneacha in the poem show how he was required to travel all over the country just to do work. Since there's loads of place names it shows how much travelling he did and shows how tough his work was.

Advertisement