Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pa Dee wrote: »
    Give it up man
    Boh licks to that. Hang in there TBH. You're like our Michael Douglas in Falling Down. Admittedly, a more refined, patient, polite version, but all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Give it up man
    Go away, Slagface.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

You're getting the runaround - cant see anything coming of it bar a waste of your time
    As above....
    Give it up man

Listen man, you've said it three times and it should be obvious by now I'm not listening - if your only contribution is going to be to tell me to give it up, then consider your opinion noted, and save yourself any further effort, cheers. You don't drive a crv by any chance? You wouldn't bother - fair play. Not the choice I'll be making tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tbh wrote: »
    No call back, called at seven was told shed be in at nine, called again just now, was told she's still out.. Back in at five pm tomorrow, if I don't get her tomorrow I'm calling to the station on sat.

It's now time to ring her boss and make an appointment through him to see her. It might be a trivial matter to her and not top of her list but its a big problem for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No call back, called at seven was told shed be in at nine, called again just now, was told she's still out.. Back in at five pm tomorrow, if I don't get her tomorrow I'm calling to the station on sat.

Is she out sick or working at 9pm? if she is working at 9pm she is on nights and not fin until 7am.
    If she is in at 5pm tomorrow she is on until 3am. She is probably out of the station, her super probably does not like them hanging around.
    I know I'm defending her but it might not be her fault tbh. Going to her super is a waste of time imo.
    Go in and talk to the person at the desk, they can tell her you are there and she can come in and talk to you but it's not usual for someone else to take over their work in progress.
    It's now time to ring her boss and make an appointment through him to see her. It might be a trivial matter to her and not top of her list but its a big problem for you.

Tayto it's just not how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

tbh - just wondering. How bad is the damage? Don't think you ever posted pics - or did I miss them? Just curious since this is dragging out so long for you, if the paint has been damaged is it beginning to rust at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Its a shame that you're getting the runaround, unfortunately thats the way things seem to be going with understaffing and reduced budgets.

Personally I'd go in to the station and try to get it sorted face to face. If that doesn't work, then I think it's time to arrange a meeting with your local superintendent. I honestly don't think the guard is deliberately trying to frustrate you or being lazy, but sometimes a chat with the super may help to move you up on the priority list.

Best of luck man, hope you get it sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

hondasam wrote: »
    Going to her super is a waste of time imo.

I dont what the OP has to lose at this stage tbh. Its fairly obvious that this Garda is not going to get back to them any time soon so why not try and give the process a little kick start?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

What annoys me is that the guards know that there is most likely a person driving round unisured and dont seem to really care. If they have done it once they are most likely still doing it.

What if there were involved in a serious accident and the guards have been aware of this person for a number of weeks at this stage and havent done anything?

Would they be held responsible or accountable? In Ireland unlikely......

djimi wrote: »
    I dont what the OP has to lose at this stage tbh. Its fairly obvious that this Garda is not going to get back to them any time soon so why not try and give the process a little kick start?

Going into the garda station is the best thing, asking to speak to the sergeant in charge would be the best option but not the superintendent.
    You would probably need to make an appointment to speak to the Inspector or Superintendent which would take some time I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Its a shame that you're getting the runaround, unfortunately thats the way things seem to be going with understaffing and reduced budgets.

Personally I'd go in to the station and try to get it sorted face to face. If that doesn't work, then I think it's time to arrange a meeting with your local superintendent. I honestly don't think the guard is deliberately trying to frustrate you or being lazy, but sometimes a chat with the super may help to move you up on the priority list.

I agree with this. Go into the station. It's been a month. No one is going to think that you are being unreasonable or pushy if you do so. OP, are you keeping a log of the amount of times that you have tried to contact the guard in question? I would. Show it to whomever you speak to coz I think she (the guard) is just taking the piss at this stage.

Maybe she is over worked, or lazy or just forgetful, I don't know. But what she IS is directly involved in this matter with the OP. She is making no attempt to keep in touch with the OP and give her a fairly basic and easy to acquire piece of important information. That's just not on at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Go to the station and say "Do you know who I am? I'm a mod on boards. I demand a guard to sort this out". They'll take you seriously then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Going into the garda station is the best thing, asking to speak to the sergeant in charge would be the best option but not the superintendent.
    You would probably need to make an appointment to speak to the Inspector or Superintendent which would take some time I would say.

Ah sorry I may have my ranks mixed up! Basically go into the station and ask to speak to whoever is above the Garda in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

djimi wrote: »

Ah sorry I may have my ranks mixed up! Basically go into the station and ask to speak to whoever is above the Garda in question.
    Just don't ask to see the super nintendo...

so :)

just got to speak to the guard, who was very apologetic about not getting back to me. Other driver failed to produce their documents, and a summons has been issued for driving without insurance or license. As far as I know, that's the end of the process, I'll be talking to the insurance company on Monday and hopefully they have everything they need to process the claim...will update!

just got to speak to the guard, who was very apologetic about not getting back to me. Other driver failed to produce their documents, and a summons has been issued for driving without insurance or license. As far as I know, that's the end of the process, I'll be talking to the insurance company on Monday and hopefully they have everything they need to process the claim...will update!

Well done. Hope you get sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah here now. I can't handle this thread and our Euro 2012 dreams coming to an end within 24 hours of each other. That's just not on.

Well done OP !

Is Scumbag Slugface only getting dinged for driving without tax and insurance? What about dangerous driving/leaving the scene of an accident etc etc ?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah here now. I can't handle this thread and our Euro 2012 dreams coming to an end within 24 hours of each other. That's just not on.

Well done OP !

Is Scumbag Slugface only getting dinged for driving without tax and insurance? What about dangerous driving/leaving the scene of an accident etc etc ?

I don't think this counts as dangerous driving and leaving the scene, she could claim she did not know she hit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you tbh, what a frustrating situation this has been for you to be in. I've had to deal with the gardai on issues over the last two years at least (long story). It can be so frustrating when you just want something done and over with. It doesn't really work that way, unfortunately. They often work odd and very unsociable hours, and the unsociable hours probably cuts into the time where they could get information 9-5. But when they have what they need they're on your doorstep with it, that's my experience anyway.

Although it's been a stressful road for you, it has been admittedly entertaining thread, everyone is rooting for you and hoping this woman will get her dues :)

I don't think this counts as dangerous driving and leaving the scene, she could claim she did not know she hit it.

About this, could the witness not say whether she appeared to acknowledge the hit?

Abi wrote: »

About this, could the witness not say whether she appeared to acknowledge the hit?

Yes she could, there is cctv of the incident as well but the lady could say she was in shock and was going to report it, any amount of excuses tbh.
    If both cars were moving at the time and there was an accident and one driver left the scene it might be a different story.
    I'm glad she is getting done for no Insurance and D/lic, hopefully the guard will get to mention to the judge about the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Way to go tbh :) Now I know what that noise was - all the champagne corks popping in celebration at your news. Glad to see that it's nearly sorted for ya.

Gonna have a pint for ya later :pac:

hopefully the guard will get to mention to the judge about the incident.
    I reckon we should all find out when she is in court and each get one of these t-shirts! :D

front.jpg?f0974cb528a6dbbdd6693c409c7fda9d44225ad3

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks good! I'd change the caption to:

Justice, tbh.

End of the road in sight. Congrats tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hey TBH, looks like some progress at last.

So she will get a summons for
    Driving with No Insurance
    Driving with No License
    Failing to Produce documents
    and possibly
    Leaving the scene of an accident.
    Resulting in a day in court,
    Possible loss of earnings for the day,
    Maybe some solicitor fees,
    Most likely a fine,
    And some penalty points thrown in for good measure,
    Resulting in insurance price hike...

KARMA gets you in the end !!

Maybe others will be more careful how they park their cars in future and and have more respect for other peoples property instead of tearing lumps out of peoples paintwork and f**k**g off thinking nobody saw what happend.

Thanks eveyone for the good wishes - just want to say two things. It was a frustrating experience dealing with the guards but I don't take it personally or blame the guard herself. I know where my issue was on the list of priorities and that's the way it should be. Secondly and I don't think I've said this before but it really was fantastic, the support I got from this thread. It was quite enjoyable updating ye all with the news and I got a great laugh from a lot of the comments. I know the prang wasn't serious but when something like that happens you can start to dislike society - but knowing you were rooting for me was genuinely a lovely feeling.

I'll update again on Monday when I talk to the insurance crowd and after that if I hear anything else. Thanks again!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Can I have a cameo in the movie?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Delighted you've made some progress, fair play for sticking with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Been following this thread since the beginning. Glad it looks like things will get sorted in your favour TBH. Thanks for keeping it going.

• Advertisement

im glad you got sorted OP but really all the waiting and hassle with the gardai was a waste of time.
    you informed your insurance company, they would write to the local superintendent and the information sent back to them.
    whether the offender was or was not insured wasnt really important to getting your car fixed, if you understand where im coming from.

if she wasnt insured then your own insurance company claim from the MIBI and your ncb is not affected.

while its nice to know that the gardai are going to summons her for no insurance, its not really relevant to getting your car fixed.

and they have 6 months to issue summonses, which in turn could be for a date maybe a year later.

oh, and just so people understand, the hours have been changed for gardai, they now work 10 hour shifts, majority in evening/night time, they then have 4 or 5 days off together. add on a couple of days annual leave either side, they could be gone for couple of weeks easy. thats the problem with the new rosters!:rolleyes:

Advertisement