Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

tbh wrote: »
    ok small update today - I rang the insurance company to let them know I couldn't get to the guard, and they told me that the assessor who checked my car, and her car, has written a report stating that, in his opinion, she's responsible for the damage to my car. So all we need from the guard is the information about whether she's insured or not - her liability isn't in question at this point.

I was worried that enough time would pass to make it impossible to say for sure if it was her or not, but that doesn't seem to be an issue now.

Score 1 for the good guys :) That's made my Tuesday.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Surley it would be very easy for the insurance company to find out if she is insured or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Surley it would be very easy for the insurance company to find out if she is insured or not?

as far as I can gather, it's easy to find out if she *is* insured, if she's *not* insured, it's not as easy. I know that sounds daft, but I've been so deep in this, it's starting to make sense :)

Basically, if she's insured, she's insured. If she doesn't *appear* to be insured, she may still be insured, but may need time to prove this, and she has to be given the benefit of the doubt. That's why she's given the 10 days to produce. She's already committed an offense by not displaying the insurance disk, but if she's actually insured, it's not as much of a big deal. The ten days gives her a chance to get out of the much more serious offense of not having any insurance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

as far as I can gather, it's easy to find out if she *is* insured, if she's *not* insured, it's not as easy. I know that sounds daft, but I've been so deep in this, it's starting to make sense :)

Basically, if she's insured, she's insured. If she doesn't *appear* to be insured, she may still be insured, but may need time to prove this, and she has to be given the benefit of the doubt. That's why she's given the 10 days to produce. She's already committed an offense by not displaying the insurance disk, but if she's actually insured, it's not as much of a big deal. The ten days gives her a chance to get out of the much more serious offense of not having any insurance.

When is the 10 days up?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well that's going to be a proper story for your grandchildren when it's all over!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Well that's going to be a proper story for your grandchildren when it's all over!

It will be turned into a Hollywood blockbuster

godtabh wrote: »
    When is the 10 days up?

last Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I dont think she will be able to get out of not being insured (if she isn't) as dont think an insurance company will back date a policy or her being a named driver on the policy.

Lets call a spade a spade- she is nearly 100% most likely not insured, hence driving away from the accident (another crime!), not claiming responsibility even though a witness saw it and not having her insurance details when going to the police.

She is wasting a lot of peoples times so hopefully this will be taken into account when punishment is being handed out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Great stuff tbh, thanks for keeping us informed on this. It's great to see a chancer/crook get their comeuppance...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Good to hear OP, hopefully this will be resolved for you soon. Between this, the chinese dog story and a bit of sunshine, I'm in great form now :)

• Advertisement

It is my understanding at all insurance companies have access to a shared database of all insurance policies.

The insurance company should be able to say at any one time if X/Y/Z are insured or not.

In terms of breaking the law due process has to be followed. Who knows there might have been a clerical error along the way and hence why some one might need 10 days to resolve the matter.

I would be a bet on it she isnt insured and has been caught out. I probably wouldnt get good odds from PP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

according to the witness, the reason the driver hit our car was because she was speeding to get into the space before the witness could...sounds like she's got a reason to be happy yer one got caught!

/follows thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

last Friday!

Looks like she is brickwalling and dragging the arse out of this for as long as she anyhow can, either because she is a thick ****, knows she is guilty as hell or both.
    Expect her to get a solicitor and probably try to blame you for hitting her. Any which way, expect to hear some outlandish excuses and accusations, make sure to write them all down.
    You will finally get her and she will go to her last day blaming you for it.

It is my understanding at all insurance companies have access to a shared database of all insurance policies.

The insurance company should be able to say at any one time if X/Y/Z are insured or not.
    I thought that as well, Im still not sure if that's the case or not. Funnily enough, the guy handling my claim had the same thing happen to him and when he reported it to the guards, they gave him the insurers of the person who'd hit him there and then,

Expect her to get a solicitor and probably try to blame you for hitting her.

it would be an interesting move on her part if she did, given we weren't even in the car at the time :)

I agree with you tho, it sounds like she's just hoping that if she ignores it, eventually it'll go away, and the guard isn't exactly doing anything to dissuade her of that. The claims handler is going to ring her again this week just to remind her that we haven't gone away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

it would be an interesting move on her part if she did, given we weren't even in the car at the time :)

She would also then be admitting she was at the scene. But its looking like that`s beyond much doubt now anyway.

Its an interesting thread anyway. Too many get away with this type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

The claims handler is going to ring her again this week just to remind her that we haven't gone away.

Feck that tbh,get him to ring today!not waiting a poxy week for an update!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I agree with you tho, it sounds like she's just hoping that if she ignores it, eventually it'll go away, and the guard isn't exactly doing anything to dissuade her of that. The claims handler is going to ring her again this week just to remind her that we haven't gone away.

I think this is fairly common. I had a guy run into me a few years ago. He first tried to drive off but I caught up with him. It then went through the insurance companies and your man just didn't engage with them at all. Took until the last day to not admit liability, then didn't answer phone calls or reply to his own insurance company about anything. In the meantime, I'd done up a detailed description of the incident, along with drawings, and dealt with every request in a timely fashion. His insurance company eventually admitted liability on his behalf as he was obviously spoofing. Head in the sand crap.

Hope it all gets sorted out sooner rather than later tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Verres

Great thread. Glad it's wending its way nicely to a conclusion.

Softly softly catchey monkey.

Keep the updates coming!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its really not that easy.

I'm insured to drive any vehicle my company owns. Certs don't have registration numbers on them, just the company name.

The insurer does not have my licence number, home address, etc, All they have is a name and a vague age. Seeing as I went to school with someone else with the same name and age... its not that uncommon a combo.

How would it be in any way practical to find out easily if I was insured if I crashed a company vehicle? Only way is for me to produce the insurance document and the VLC to show who owned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

yeah - we're very grateful. If we can claim off the other drivers insurance, it'll save us about a grand between excess and loss of NCB I'd say.

If she came to you now and said "Listen I am sorry, I made a mistake and panicked. I know I should not have left and I feel like a total cnut. I will pay your damages and give you two hundred cash for your troubles, can we just put this behind us?" Would you let her off?

• Advertisement

yeah - we're very grateful. If we can claim off the other drivers insurance, it'll save us about a grand between excess and loss of NCB I'd say.

If she came to you now and said "Listen I am sorry, I made a mistake and panicked. I know I should not have left and I feel like a total cnut. I will pay your damages and give you two hundred cash for your troubles, can we just put this behind us?" Would you let her off?

Absolutely. Wouldn't even take the extra cash. Listen, we all make mistakes. just before Christmas I did the exact same thing to my neighbours car and caused him a grands worth of damage. You know what the hardest bit was? Knocking on his door to tell him. He was totally sound about it and so I would pay that forward if someone apologised. But she didn't, and it's been a real headache getting this sorted out ever since. At the end of the day, she's stolen whatever it costs to fix the car from my family.

Just to develop the theme. If she isn't insured, then denying she hit me isn't going to help her. She'll get done by the cops, MIBI and me for my excess. If she'd waited by the car, apologised and offered to pay, then I wouldn't have gone to the cops, wouldnt have even asked about insurance , and she would have saved herself a load of trouble. Even if she came to me now and offered to pay, it's too late to avoid being prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Insurers cannot access this kind of information.

Gardai can though.

In the UK (The land ruled by Data Protection) they have a system where a claims handler can instantly identify the insurance details for a vehicle. Not here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Absolutely. Wouldn't even take the extra cash. Listen, we all make mistakes. just before Christmas I did the exact same thing to my neighbours car and caused him a grands worth of damage. You know what the hardest bit was? Knocking on his door to tell him. He was totally sound about it and so I would pay that forward if someone apologised. But she didn't, and it's been a real headache getting this sorted out ever since. At the end of the day, she's stolen whatever it costs to fix the car from my family.

Had to do the same myself, I hit a car belonging to a guy who was working in my neighbours house. Disgusted with myself but the difference is he got settled fast and took it easier on me, it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, but this woman has put you through unnecessary stress. I would want new panels and paint and costs for hire car. Fcuk her she has not covered herself in glory to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Any update??

no, not this week, guard is back on duty tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have more then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

You're getting the runaround - cant see anything coming of it bar a waste of your time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Pa Dee wrote: »
    You're getting the runaround - cant see anything coming of it bar a waste of your time

It's unfortunate that The Garda has been so slow in dealing with this and taking their rest days but I don't see how the OP is being given the runaround. At the start of this thread the OP was advised that this will be a slow painful process. All the OP can do is keep plugging the Gardai.

all I'm waiting for is confirmation that she's got insurance or not. Liability isn't in question anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

I wouldnt think so. These things always take time. The Guard, and everyone in the insurance companies probably have more than just one job to do, the OPs incident is one of many for each of them. Letters take time, people take holidays, there are statutory waiting periods.

OP is doing right and sitting it out patiently, yet keeping in regular touch to remind everyone he has not forgot about it. And he is updating us too, a further drain on his time, thanks tbh.

Advertisement