Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking club

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yep, I'd be up for trying that. Good suggestion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

yeah sounds good, would love to expand my recipe collection a bit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd also be up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

me too! Lovely idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Great idea Khannie!

I'd like to participate as a lurker on this as I'm not getting to do much cooking these days (facilities in my apartment are poor to say the least). I only getting to cook properly when home at weekends & then I'm usually kept to cooking "family favourites" to treat my wife & kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Sounds like a great idea :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sweet. Definitely enough interest so. Let's say you get to choose a recipe based on when you signed up in thread (i.e. I go first, then the black oil, then psycho-hope, etc. etc.).

I'd say one a week is about right. I'd suggest you post the recipe on a Monday, then you have the week to gather the ingredients, then you cook it over the weekend then we have a chinwag about what went well...disaster stories...etc.. Next person posts their recipe and so on. What do ye think?

Also, how would you rate your cooking prowess? Mine would be fairly low. I'm a total learner driver. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, that sounds alright. Anything in particular to start off - dinners, desserts, etc, or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Khannie wrote: »
    Also, how would you rate your cooking prowess?

Pretty good actually. Always happy to try new things too. But I'm not a "fancy" cook by any means. I prefer good ol' rustic fare. Whether that be Irish-, Indian-, Thai-, French-, Swiss- or [insert nationality]-traditional food.

I also am a big lover of meat, especially offal (trotters, ox tails, liver, kidneys, you name it) & game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Sounds good to me too. How would it work?

I'm decent enough in the kitchen, the Mrs is an expert so if I get in trouble I'll generally just give a shout for help.

I'm experimenting with Indian once a week or more at the minute and intend to move on to Thai in a couple of months.

Haven't cooked with offal much so I'd be interested in that as well as anything else really. Would prefer if we stuck with main courses but whatever suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Sounds like fun, I'll join in :)

joolsveer wrote: »
    Sounds good to me too. How would it work?

I'd say you missed this post. :)
    Yeah, that sounds alright. Anything in particular to start off - dinners, desserts, etc, or does it matter?

Totally up to yourself I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Khannie wrote: »

Also, how would you rate your cooking prowess? Mine would be fairly low. I'm a total learner driver. :D

I'm pretty good as a cook I'd say. I can make a meal out of whatever's in the cupboards and fridge most evenings and have people over for dinner quite a lot. I have a stock dozen recipes or so in my head that I can cook without consulting a book, and I like trying new recipes but if anything is really "chef-fy" I wouldn't be the most skillfull :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I am also a huge meat lover but can't stomach offal (:p) so I'll sit out any that are very unappealing to me and mine.

Thanks Khannie for a great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Excellent idea, and something I'd be well up for joining in with.

Erm. Would it be possible to keep the recipes to stuff that's available cheap enough, especially in the "current climate". I'm on the dole. :(

I'm good enough in the kitchen, and will try anything. Usually stick to the letter to recipes the first time I cook them, but them tweak for my tatses. I garnered most of my skills from this forum, and my OH.

I also make my own jams and bread.

Made a ton of blackberry jam this autumn, from blackberries picked locally (yes, locally in Finglas, there is wasteland behind my house, with a load of blackberry bushes), Strawberry jam from my own crop and Gooseberry jam from gooseberries given to me by a neighbour, which he grew himself.

Des wrote: »
    Erm. Would it be possible to keep the recipes to stuff that's available cheap enough, especially in the "current climate". I'm on the dole. :(

Yep. Definitely up for that. We could discuss the cheapest place to get the ingredients too.
    I also make my own jams and bread.

Me too. :) Made a shed load of blackberry and strawberry jam much like yourself. Was very impressed with myself and the kids had great craic. Starting to get into making my own breads now.

What's the gooseberry like? I'm probably gonna get either raspberry or gooseberry bushes in the spring.

Sounds good to me. One of the things that bugs me about some cookbooks is that there's always one or two obscure ingredients in there and your local supermarket may not have it. Sticking to some sort of reasonable budget would be good.

I'm not too bad in the kitchen. Can throw together some things pretty easily, casseroles, stir frys, etc etc. I try to keep things varied otherwise it's a bit boring. I find baking is a little more tricky because you've to be a lot more precise, but I'm learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

so when are we gonna start. In the new year ??

• Advertisement

foodaholic wrote: »

I think that's a good bet, given that next week's "Meal of the Week" would probably be Xmas Dinner :D

New year is probably the best time alright. Great idea/thread btw Khannie.

Also, nothing vegetarian please.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

sounds great to me - we have become very boring with our food lately.

oh btw, i am a vegetarian so my recipe is going to be meat free :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Also, nothing vegetarian please.

oi you:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Des wrote:

Damn, that's my lobster, caviar, foi gras and truffle stew out :pac:

I was looking into maybe doing a cooking course but wasn't anything really going locally plus they're expensive. This is ideal.

Great idea, WP Khannie.

foodaholic wrote: »

Yeah, let's leave it 'til the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Can I join too?! Sounds like fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Miap

Great idea definitely signing up!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Me too! Sounds like a plan!

Advertisement