Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 5: Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 01-02-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Chocolate Chip Cookies!

These are relatively low fat, if you keep the serving size down. What's also really important is that cookie dough SPREADS so don't throw a huge pile on a baking tray like I did the first time I made cookies because it'll turn into one giant cookie! A teaspoon of dough per cookie is all you need.

Ingredients

240g granulated sugar
    240g brown sugar
    120g butter or margarine, melted
    1 egg white
    480g flour
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    240g chocolate chips

Method

Mix all ingredients until well combined and drop by teaspoonful on a cookie sheet, counting out 26 cookies. Add just a splash of water if needed to make dough stick together - you may need more than this but you want the dough nice and sticky.

Bake at 180 for around 10 minutes.

Enjoy! These are fairly low fat because they're quite small - and they are SUPER delicious when they are just out of the oven. MMMMMMMmm nom nom.

Edit: Just saw the PM's now guys - thanks for the reminders! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Kimia wrote: »
    it'll turn into one giant cookie!
    And what's wrong with that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hee hee well I suppose if you want to live dangerously! :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Kimia wrote: »

Edit: Just saw the PM's now guys - thanks for the reminders! :)

Wait, who else is sending them? I thought that was my job!

Anywho, these sound delicious, but I'm not sure if I'll make them. I've cut out junk food as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight at the moment, and if I make these, I'll eat them all!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'll make these early this week though I'll probably be the only one in my house to eat them.

Faith wrote: »
    Wait, who else is sending them? I thought that was my job!
    I sent a PM this morning when I noticed it wasn't up, didn't know you were sending them, fair play!

If you can restrict yourself to just one or two they are only about 100 calories each so go oooooooooon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Hi
    how big are the finished cookies?
    can you use a chocolate bar for the chips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Hi
    how big are the finished cookies?
    can you use a chocolate bar for the chips ?

Sure, the nicest cookies I ever made was with a big bar of hazlenut milka

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Gave this a go last night. Changed the original recipe a little bit - reduced the sugar by about 80g, went with unsalted butter, raisins and some porridge oat flakes because we had no chocolate chips. They were pretty tasty, maybe a little spongey, but it's a mixture that's very easy to do. Baking time was closer to 17 mins.

cookies5.jpg

Thanks for the recipe. :)

Fair play to you for posting a pic! Yes they are yummy and if you eat them just out of the oven they are so spongy and warm and glorious and the heat from them melts the chocolate chips

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Made a very similar recipe before:
    http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2007/11/chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe_24.html

Was very nice and simple! Main difference was the addition of vanilla essence, which I put too much in last time I think and it's definitely not needed.

Thinking I might have another go at chocolate chip cookies this weekend, but try to imitate the Subway cookies. *drools*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Plan on giving this a go this evening.

Wish me luck... hopefully will be more appetising than my bread.

I'm with Sparks; giant cookies FTW!

DSC_1805.jpg

Have the batch there and the rest ready to go. Love the texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Here are mine:

w8eb.jpg

Had no chocolate chips, but there is lots of chopped hazelnuts in there.

These guys really do spread out though... there was some merging going on.

The texture of the cookies when they came out of the oven was nice & chewy. As they cooled they got hard and they're a little too sugary for me personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Is there anything you can add to the mix to make a chewy cookie, i tried a recipe that was on the afternoon show they came out cakey(dont like cakey) and still have some mix left. Can i add veg oil to it ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Veg oil? In a cookie? It's gotta be good oul irish creamery butter!

Don't want to take away from the recipe posted here but this is the best cookie recipe I've come across. Amazing cookies, crunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Big-Fat-Chewy-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie/Detail.aspx

Read the extra comments for some tips on getting them perfect. I use less sugar. Make sure the eggs are at room temp, pop the batter in the fridge for a while before cooking etc

There was a massive thread on here dedicated to just that recipe but I can't find it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Veg oil? In a cookie? It's gotta be good oul irish creamery butter!
    Veg oil was the secret behind a very successful (commercially) cupcake recipe in the US...
    In a cookie though, it'll cause the cookie to spread out really thin during cooking and become more of a snap than a cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

made em earlier today for my little cousins as im not a big cookie fan, they loved em, threw in some marshmallows aswell for the craic worked out ok.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Sparks wrote: »
    Veg oil was the secret behind a very successful (commercially) cupcake recipe in the US...
    In a cookie though, it'll cause the cookie to spread out really thin during cooking and become more of a snap than a cookie.
    I made cookies before that had veg oil as an igredient as well as butter and they came out chewy. I just love chewy cookies want to make em and stil have some batter left. I should've used the OPs but saw cookies with less ingredients(as in quantities... i know i should've just halved it:eek:) on the rte website so tried that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Have a batch in the oven at the moment.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I only got round to these this week, but it was worth the wait.

I added a couple of teaspoons of drinking chocolate powder to the mix also.

DSCN2662.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Made Kimia's cookies...

They only had cooking chocolate chips in my Tesco, but I don't trust them. I know Cadbury's make them: does anyone know where they can be bought?

I did put a chocolate bar (zapped in the blender) in, but it seems to have melted into the actual mix. The next time I will try making them with Cadbury's Buttons. I think they would turn out well.

Anyway, taste lovely and are nice and chewy!

Thank you for the recipe!

106827.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

High time to try this one out again!

They had chocolate chips in ALDI a few weeks ago and I bought a few bags of them. I put the chips in with the mix, but you couldn't really tell that there were any inside so I randomly "sprinkled" a few more over the top... :D

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7217

This time around I used half of the quantities of sugar and found that it was sweet enough, by the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Someone should spell boards.ie on the cookies with the chocolate drops. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Made these this evening. Kinda had them for dinner!

It was my first time making cookies. I didn't think to sift the flour. I substituted flaked almonds for half the chocolate chips and toasted half of those almonds in a dry pan before using. I halved the amount of sugar too, and found them quite sweet still. Or else the Dr Oetker Choc. chips are too vanilla-heavy, can't decide.

For me they came out a little bit like the sweet scones you get in Starbucks... only nice. They were biscuity towards the edges. Probably should have used a only half as much dough per cookie and pressed them down in the middle. My dough might have been a little too wet too. Very happy for first try all the same.

Reckon I'll make them again but a more petite next time. Thanks Kimia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Could you use a (broken up) easter egg in this as a substitute for choccie chips?:o:D

We have no choc chips, but mam has a decent sized easter egg she doesn't want, and said I could have it :D

This is the one she has; http://www.butlerschocolates.com/irish-chocolate-gift/Butlers-Medium-Wrapped-Egg-325g/539.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Could you use a (broken up) easter egg in this as a substitute for choccie chips?:o:D

We have no choc chips, but mam has a decent sized easter egg she doesn't want, and said I could have it :D

This is the one she has; http://www.butlerschocolates.com/irish-chocolate-gift/Butlers-Medium-Wrapped-Egg-325g/539.htm

That'll work perfect. Not big chocolate eaters in this house so Easter eggs were always made into cookies!
    Made Kimia's cookies...

They only had cooking chocolate chips in my Tesco, but I don't trust them. I know Cadbury's make them: does anyone know where they can be bought?

Just get a big bar of chocolate and go at it with a big knife or rolling pin! That way you can choose the chocolate as well. The premade choc-chips aren't as nice as real chocolate, they tend to be very sweet. I just use Lidl/Aldi choc, or for special cookies, Lindt.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Gonna try these with Smarties and see how they turn out-yum, yum! I will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

Four years on I stumbled across this in work and tried it when I got home yesterday. They turned out to be delicious. Never thought a cookie recipe would be so easy. I'm now wondering why I never tried them before!! Thanks for the recipe!

• Advertisement
Advertisement