Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 7: Pesto Chicken

Options
  • 15-02-2010 12:01pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, another pretty simple recipe this week. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing!

Pesto Chicken

Ingredients

4 chicken breasts
    8 cloves of garlic, crushed
    4 heaped teaspoons green pesto
    Splash Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    300 g pasta such as linguine, Capelli d’Angello or even spaghetti
    300 mls cream
    1 teaspoon corn flour
    Salt & Pepper

Optional:

200 g mushrooms
    Parmesan cheese to finish

Serves 4

Method

Note: For optimum flavour, prepare the chicken as far in advance as you can and leave it in the fridge.
    Also, the measurements I’ve provided are guesstimations. I do it by eye, and you’ll no doubt do it that way too

1. Chop chicken into bite sized pieces
    2. In a pyrex bowl, mix the chicken, garlic, pesto and olive oil well. As above, if you have time, cover it and leave it to marinate in the fridge for as long as you can – anywhere up to 24 hours.
    3. If using mushrooms, add them whole to the mixture, cover and cook in the oven for approx 30 mins at 190 degrees. Mix often so the chicken cooks evenly. Take it out once the chicken is done.
    4. While the chicken is in the oven, cook the pasta
    5. About 5 minutes before removing the chicken, gently heat the cream and stir in the corn flour.
    6. When the chicken is done, add it to the warm cream. There’s likely to be a lot of oil in the bowl, so drain it if you’re watching calories – but it adds flavour!
    7. Cook the chicken for a few more minutes in the cream and season. Add the cooked pasta.
    8. Serve in pasta bowls. Top with grated parmesan if desired.
    9. This is awesome served with garlic bread – just don’t go out that evening because you’ll probably kill people with the smell of garlic!

This isn’t a fancy recipe (although make the pesto yourself if you want more of a challenge!), but it’s extremely tasty and comforting. It’s not light on calories, or garlic, but hopefully you’ll enjoy it :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Oh yummy, will try this during the week!!! Simple is good, anyway if we want to complicate it we all know how to!!! Thanks!

I logged on and remembered it was Monday and thought "Oh yippee a new recipe" - sad or what!!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Because someone nearly always asks, when made with double cream, linguine and no mushrooms or cheese, there's roughly 700 cals per serving.

Faith wrote: »
    Because someone nearly always asks, when made with double cream, linguine and no mushrooms or cheese, there's roughly 700 cals per serving.

Is double cream higher in calories? What is the difference? Would normal do in this dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Does anyone know if pine nuts count as nuts? OH is allergic to nuts so I avoid pesto in dishes, but this sounds so yummy I want to try it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

LOL - well, des is out of this one - he hates pesto and pasta :D

but i shall give it ago, will make my own pesto though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

kylith wrote: »
    Does anyone know if pine nuts count as nuts? OH is allergic to nuts so I avoid pesto in dishes, but this sounds so yummy I want to try it.

They are actually seeds, not nuts! But I don't know anything about how they relate to nut allergies so better check with your OH.

kylith wrote: »

My sister is allergic to nuts and cant eat pesto anymore but ask your otherhalf as only he fully knows, each person is different as she can eat almonds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks folks. He seems to be able to eat almonds (at least by the amount of Korma he eats!), but has no idea if he can eat pine nuts because he tends to avoid anything with 'nut' in the name.

I guess I won't risk it. I'm sure if I make my own it won't suffer too much from the lack of pine nuts.

Pembily wrote: »
    Is double cream higher in calories? What is the difference? Would normal do in this dish?

Yeah, double cream is about twice the calories! And twice the fat. I doubt it would make a difference if you used single cream, it can just be a bit challenging to find here. Unless it's called "single cream" or maybe "pouring cream", it tends to be double. Normal will have about 360 cals per 100 mls, whereas single will have less than 200 cals per 100 mls.

Actually, I think most cream is somewhere in between double and single? I'm more used to the UK where it's labelled as which one it is. Most here is just called "Fresh cream". Best to check the calories on the carton.

The difference is the amount of fat in it. Single cream is not suitable for whipping due to there not being enough fat in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

This sounds great. I wish panner Tuesday was Wednesday so I could make this tmrw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This sounds great. I wish panner Tuesday was Wednesday so I could make this tmrw.

Just have Pancake Wednesday! You never know, it might catch on :D What a ridiculous idea to confine pancakes to only one day a year. :p

Hmm, savoury pancakes with pesto chicken topping...might just try that later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Aw no, pancakes are a regular fixture in my place. We have them about once a month. It just feels like you *have to* have them today :)

Actually, in the 80's my ma used to make them about once a month too. She called it 'Skinny Tuesday' ... my da was on a 3 day week and got paid the last Wednesday of every month - how else can ya feed 6 childers with about 2 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Do you dice the garlic cloves first?

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Do you dice the garlic cloves first?

I crush them, but dicing is grand. I should edit my post actually, thanks.

Faith wrote: »
    I crush them, but dicing is grand. I should edit my post actually, thanks.
    Thanks for the clarification!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Mmm looking forward to this! Thanks for the recipe, think it will be a Saturday night treat :D

well, i made this tonight

just a suggestion, dont invite another boardies up and have a few beers because you will smash the pyrex bowl taking it out of the oven and you will end up with crunch pesto pasta which needs to go in the bin

irishbird wrote: »
    well, i made this tonight

just a suggestion, dont invite another boardies up and have a few beers because you will smash the pyrex bowl taking it out of the oven and you will end up with crunch pesto pasta which needs to go in the bin

:eek: oh no!!! You must have been gutted!!!

Cork_girl wrote: »
    :eek: oh no!!! You must have been gutted!!!

yeah, especially since i made my own pesto and raped my basil plant:mad: but i did taste some of it and it was lovely

Made this tonight, good stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Was hoping to make this this weekend, but I've eaten a lot of chicken this week! Might be next week now.

Irishbird - how did you make your pesto? I've seen different recipes but I'd like to try a tested one!

Was hoping to make this this weekend, but I've eaten a lot of chicken this week! Might be next week now.

Irishbird - how did you make your pesto? I've seen different recipes but I'd like to try a tested one!

100g of Parmesan cheese

125g of pine nuts

125ml of extra virgin oil

2 cloves of garlic

good pinch of salt (i would leave to taste)

50 basil leaves - i usually use a whole plant

stick it all in a blender

the secret is good parmesan, it make such a difference

DSCN2643.jpg

here is my attempt, couldnt eat it, as it was full of glass but smelled lovely:)

DSCN2643.jpg

here is my attempt, couldnt eat it, as it was full of glass but smelled lovely:)

With the offender skulking in the background I see! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Made this tonight. Mrs Magnolia made the pesto earlier today and marinated the chicken so there was already plenty of garlic in there, I added another 3 cloves to the mix for 3 chicken breasts.

One teaspoon of corn flour wasn't enough so I mixed another with some sauce and mixed it through. This would have been sufficient had I left it for a moment but lack of patience meant I added another (too much). The sauce still coated the pasta beautifully and I really enjoyed it even though I don't normally go for creamy pasta dishes. I'm told I'll certainly be making it again so another success for the Cooking Club. Thanks Faith!

DSC_1825.jpg

Oh, the garlic bread was great for breaking up the rich creamy texture so I'd agree with Faith in recommending it as an accompaniment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I made this last night, it was yummy - thanks faith :)

p.s I reek of garlic :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This is marinating in the fridge and will be in the oven tomorrow. The garlic! I'm sure it will be tasty, though.

100g of Parmesan cheese

125g of pine nuts

125ml of extra virgin oil

2 cloves of garlic

good pinch of salt (i would leave to taste)

50 basil leaves - i usually use a whole plant

stick it all in a blender

the secret is good parmesan, it make such a difference

Made the pesto and all in the oven now! Thanks.

I have to say, I am really enjoying trying out new dishes!
    Thanks to everyone

Will the leftovers from this be ok to reheat tomorrow lunchtime?

• Advertisement

Here's my attempt.

Didn't marinate, cos wasn't time but was still delish! Really tasty.

Advertisement