Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Was just reading on XDA how people who'd manually updated to 4.4 were getting a patch OTA.
    Odd that they're pushing a patch OTA but not the actual 4.4 upgrade.
    Hopefully this patch will mean Google are now happy with the actual upgrade itself and start pushing 4.4 OTA out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Likewise. Just got the latest. Had installed KRT16O a few days ago. Now updated OTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Is there a simple enough program that I can use on the tablet to stream movies from a directory on my pc over the LAN (or even the web!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Is there a simple enough program that I can use on the tablet to stream movies from a directory on my pc over the LAN (or even the web!)?

Plex is what I use. I have it on a media server I set up (although it can be run on any PC) and it streams to any device that has a plex app or can play through a web browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

No OTA 4.4 update for me as yet. Tried to check for update from setting quite a few times but still nothing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Android Kitkat 4.4 just downloading now OTA

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

cgc5483 wrote: »

Thanks. Didn't initially work for me. Had to go into manage apps > google services framework > clear data.

Then I went back to system update and it started downloading. Good to finally see it!

Word of warning. The update has come up with an error when it was installing and I'm presently stuck with the android man with an error message below. Mine was rooted so might be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

redscan wrote: »
    Thanks. Didn't initially work for me. Had to go into manage apps > google services framework > clear data.

Then I went back to system update and it started downloading. Good to finally see it!
    That didn't work for me :/

Word of warning. The update has come up with an error when it was installing and I'm presently stuck with the android man with an error message below. Mine was rooted so might be the problem

All very strange. Tablet rebooted itself. When I checked now it's still running Jellybean and saying my system is up to date. some thing weird going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

This has seemed to work for me, dl'ing now. Cheers.

Mine is also rooted. It seemed to go through with no problems. Have you got a custom recovery. I have TWRP and it seemed to be grand.

Mine is also rooted. It seemed to go through with no problems. Have you got a custom recovery. I have TWRP and it seemed to be grand.

yeah pretty sure i have twrp. Where do i find mange apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

There doesn't seem to be much of a UI update. It appears the Google Experience Launcher has been excluded from the N4/7/10 and is only available on the N5 (for the moment at least). Most of the functionality is there in the OS and you can download the launcher APK ripped from the N5 but there are issues with it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/13/how-to-try-the-google-experience-launcher-with-translucent-bars-and-google-now-once-you-get-your-kitkat-update-apk-download/

yeah pretty sure i have twrp. Where do i find mange apps?

Settings > Apps (swipe over to All) > Google services framework (clear data & force stop)

There doesn't seem to be much of a UI update. It appears the Google Experience Launcher has been excluded from the N4/7/10 and is only available on the N5 (for the moment at least). Most of the functionality is there in the OS and you can download the launcher APK ripped from the N5 but there are issues with it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/13/how-to-try-the-google-experience-launcher-with-translucent-bars-and-google-now-once-you-get-your-kitkat-update-apk-download/

Nova Beta Launcher lets you get the transparent notification bar going. It's pretty nice! https://plus.google.com/communities/103449253667195874971

Settings > Apps (swipe over to All) > Google services framework (clear data & force stop)

thanks. did that and still saying system up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its rolled out in stages -id say by serial number or mac address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

If you try it a few times it should come through.
    Worked for me on my Nexus 4 earlier this evening.

Try clear data & force stopping it then check for the update again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Looks like some kind of random selection in place, message is be patient. Mine got updated this evening and was a push - I had given up checking on the basis that a watched pot never boils!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

coylemj wrote: »
    Looks like some kind of random selection in place, message is be patient. Mine got updated this evening and was a push - I had given up checking on the basis that a watched pot never boils!

Consider the alternative, "update available" appears for everyone in the world. Everyone in the world pushes the button, servers explode and noone gets anything.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Consider the alternative, "update available" appears for everyone in the world. Everyone in the world pushes the button, servers explode and noone gets anything.

Google have said they roll out in phases not to save their servers but rather to help mobile internet providers (especially in USA manage traffic load) and also to ensure if there are bugs it doesn't hit all the install base at once.

Hmmmm cheers for that, at least I'll know what's happening if some things aren't working properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

I just noticed that the play magazines app was on my nexus 7, but when I clicked it I just got the usual "sorry this service is not available in your country".I,m still on jellybean,anyone else notice this?

Hmmmm cheers for that, at least I'll know what's happening if some things aren't working properly!

Loads of us were wondering whether jellybean had shagged our gmail notifications after we forced the OTA last time. The article sheds some light on how/why now.
    For once I'll wait for the OTA to hit my devices naturally this time round.

Loads of us were wondering whether jellybean had shagged our gmail notifications after we forced the OTA last time. The article sheds some light on how/why now.
    For once I'll wait for the OTA to hit my devices naturally this time round.
    Just checked all the Google apps (g+, Gmail, auto backup etc) and everything working fine it seems. Maybe I got lucky.

Good to know though and nice to get a bit of insight into the roll out process.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    If you try it a few times it should come through.
    Worked for me on my Nexus 4 earlier this evening.

Try clear data & force stopping it then check for the update again.

Got the update at 2nd go but the error popped up again. Will wait til weekend to mess around and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Got the update today without messing around. Updated without any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Nice tip, Android 4.4 System Update downloaded and installing ;)

Thanks

Advertisement