Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I know theyre not reflective of real world usage (and I dont pay massive attention to them) but its sh!tting over nearly everything in benchmarks
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_hands_on-review-889p4.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Ill wait to pass real judgement once I get some hands on, but this just seems like another one of HTC handsets. Im struggling to see what would make me move back to HTC.

I imagine the small battery will make the battery life poor. Fair enough it has a 1080p display, but so will everyone else in a months time. Its not like it hasn't been done anyway.

Software "features" look ****, not even going to go near Zoe. HTC also previously said their cameras were excellent and they weren't.

Ive yet to see anything remotely as good as the HD2 from HTC.

The battery isnt exactly small when you consider the size of the device ?

Most reviewer said the One X produced better images that the s3 and comparable to the iPhone 5, One X also has a fantastic camera interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

beno619 wrote: »
    The battery isnt exactly small when you consider the size of the device ?

Most reviewer said the One X produced better images that the s3 and comparable to the iPhone 5, One X also has a fantastic camera interface.

Meh! Ill stick with my note 2. As its the only device ever to provide me with true all day battery life without having to get an extended battery

Regarding the camera. It was always a mixed bag. We will see how it stacks up against the Lumia 900

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Looks a pretty sweet phone. We'll see the launch of the SGS4 before we can buy this in the shops anyways. I like the design, I really hope Samsung do something design wise, I have an SGS3 and a Galaxy Note 2 and while both are superb phones the styling is fairly bland. I am not a fan of touchwiz or sense, but nova or apex can take care of that. I do think this phone puts it up to anything coming, if the battery life is good then it could be a winner. Best thing about my Note 2 is the feck off huge battery which means it really lasts long enough that you never run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Looks a gorgeous phone. Will wait until reviews are out before seriously considering, the camera looks an interesting concept, getting away from Megapixels.

One cause for concern for me will be the body though. A lot of issues around the iPhone 5's aluminium body getting chipped and scratched and this could have the same problems. Not a fan of cases!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Even though Jellybean 4.2 has been out 3 or 4 months, it is being launch with 4.1.2.

With HTC's track record expect the upgrade sometime around Christmas.

Yeh the Note II is a great device but it really is in a category of its own, you cant really compare the two anyway it will be interesting to see what Samsung cant bring with the GS4.

Yeh the Note II is a great device but it really is in a category of its own, you cant really compare the two anyway it will be interesting to see what Samsung can bring with the GS4.
    polaris68 wrote: »
    Even though Jellybean 4.2 has been out 3 or 4 months, it is being launch with 4.1.2.

4.2 is more of a tablet update as stated by google themselves and also introduced lag to the nexus 7, I wont defend record for updates tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i've seen a few mentions of this, the remedy is simple, root the phone. I'm on 4.1.2 on a 2 year old desire S. Any new android phone I'd be getting would be rooted immediately, I can't be dealing with sense or touchwiz. Still, I'm not giving in, I'm not getting a phone that big :cool:

Edit: oh yeah, and I don't want a stupid bebo logo on the back of my phone, sort that out HTC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

SGS3, Galaxy Note 2, Xperia Z not sure if there's a flagship phone launched or launching thats on anything higher. all those there are on or launching on 4.1.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Form the pics I've seen online I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the phone in white I think the speaker grilles stand out too much and the screen surround looks too thick. But I'll reserve final judgement until I see it in the flesh and in black.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

HTC's really bad track record in supporting old devices (old being more than 12 months) is the reason why I stopped buying them. They've dropped the ball and lost market share which is a pity as they make nice hardware.

I made the move to Nexus mainly thanks to learning the hard way how bad HTC are in supporting releases for their phones and tablets. I believe HTC are now focusing in the main on cheap devices for emerging markets.

I agree completely. I was a HTC fanboy,starting with the Nexus One,then the Sensation,One X and the One X+. I finally gave up on them late last year due to the ridiculous wait times for updates(even on non carrier branded handsets). I bought a Nexus 4,updates arrive quickly once released by Google and not an eternity when waiting on HTC.

They make great Hardware and as unfashionable as it may be to say it,i liked Sense. It had some bloat but was a great UI. I hope HTC do well in the future,the One looks well and should sell well but the damage has been done to the brand imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I think the HTC one looks pretty good, won't be for me though. I have a Galaxy Nexus at the moment, and will more than likely upgrade to whatever the next Nexus is, though the Motorolla X Phone might give me something to think about. I think the best things Samsung could do would be to get rid of the plastic and also get rid of Kies. I've herd so many horror stories about that Kies that I'd be put off having to use it for any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tedmorrow82

The HTC One looks awesome. Currently, I own a HTC One X that is also a nice phone. I am even trying to develop an app for Andorid (sg. like the followings: http://www.voip-sip-sdk.com/p_456-voip-android-integration-voip.html). I was looking for a replacement for the HTC One X. The HTC One seems to be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Seems fairly 'meh'. I thought it'd be totally beefed up but it's not much better spec wise than an S3 or a Note 2. Presumably Samsung will bring out the S4 with a 32 core processor, 25 megapixel camera and the new Smart-Jiggle© feature that rubs your balls through your pocket and that'll be the competition over for another year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Seems fairly 'meh'. I thought it'd be totally beefed up but it's not much better spec wise than an S3 or a Note 2. Presumably Samsung will bring out the S4 with a 32 core processor, 25 megapixel camera and the new Smart-Jiggle© feature that rubs your balls through your pocket and that'll be the competition over for another year.
    No, unfortunately apple are releasing their iphone 5s with the smart jiggle feature & Samsung are sueing them on "cupping" copywrite infringement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

F*cking WANT.

Unfortunately I wouldn't touch any of those Irish carriers with a very, very large barge pole, so the HOX'll be kept for a while more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Horrible font on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

griffdaddy wrote: »

I think the hardware spec war might be over, and we move more towards software features and general device design.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I like it, I like it a lot, but do I like it more than my black iPhone 5?

Pre ordered a black one from Amazon anyway. Never used Android before so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Id be one of the htc fan boys (desire hd - one x) but went with the note 2,screen size and battery pushed it for me.But one thing is for sure the design on the note is dire.

Id be one of the htc fan boys (desire hd - one x) but went with the note 2,screen size and battery pushed it for me.But one thing is for sure the design on the note is dire.

Design of all Samsung phones is dire. That's the best thing about HTC they always design a good looking phone. Yet Samsung makes uglier phones but the hardware features are what pushes me towards them.

Why is it so hard for HTC to make a phone with a huge battery?

You answered your own question: because it would be bigger, and thus less desirable.

dahamsta wrote: »
    You answered your own question: because it would be bigger, and thus less desirable.

Not necessarily, there's a sea of smartphone users (including me) that want proper battery life. Go onto the Note 2 thread, huge amount of user that get it, explain that they got it because it gives them awesome battery life.

The only reason I switched from S3 to Note 2 was battery life. I made the compromise of having an over-sized phone in order to get decent battery life.

You don't have to turn down the screen brightness or worry about power toggles. I don't have to limit my smartphone usage to get me through the day on one charge.

HTC is quite a capable company, we seen that in the past, im sure they could sacrifice a couple of mm and make it a bit thicker.

Think of it? Killer screen + Android + Great design. Now if your battery life is going to be crap no one is really going to want it, add amazing battery life to that and I would be in, in a heart beat.

Right now I'm not even interested, just because of the small battery. Ive had a couple of HTC phones over the years, the only one that I could justify that had good battery life was HTC Titan.

HD2 was just about OK, Desire was just about OK. Sensation was terrible, it improved a lot with Android 4.0 update. HTC HD7, dont get me started, thing wouldn't last me till 6PM.

If the HTC One had as beefy battery as the Note I would have actually considered switching.

I don't understand this obsession with battery life. As long as it last 24hrs it should be more than enough.

You're at home you can plug it in.

You're in your car you can plug it in.

You're in the office you can plug it in.

You're asleep you can plug it in.

Unless you live on a dessert island you are never far away from a power socket.

I'd much rather a slimmer phone that fits better in the hand and pocket than a behemoth that last for two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I think the hardware spec war might be over, and we move more towards software features and general device design.

Agree, there's really not much changing year to year recently from a hardware perspective. The biggest change recently was going to multi-core processors. Adding things like NFC, 4G is not major changes IMO, these are just incremental small additions and not "killer" features.

I think I'll be fine on my One X for another year and see what 2014 brings.

Btw, speaking of software updates and the like.. I still have no idea what Google Now is supposed to be doing for me except constantly telling me how long it'll take me to go home, and the odd football scores for days on end showing up.

Here's a brief comparison of the htc one cameras vs the iphone 5 camera:

http://asia.cnet.com/htc-one-vs-iphone-5-camera-shootout-62220556.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Saadyst wrote: »
    Btw, speaking of software updates and the like.. I still have no idea what Google Now is supposed to be doing for me except constantly telling me how long it'll take me to go home, and the odd football scores for days on end showing up.

Have you used Google Now in a different country/timezone?
    Last trip overseas I had info on flights, travel time from airport to hotel, travel time from hotel to office. Weather at home plus local weather. Info on time difference and currency exchange rates. Local tourist attractions and distance to them.

It's crap in Ireland though. Completely pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I think we need to live more exciting lives to see Google Now at its best!

Advertisement