Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Hi folks
    HTC OneX, mobile provider 3.
    I followed DamoElDiablos post on the previous version to upgrade my HBoot to 1.39. I installed Team Venom's Jelly Bean Rom but on rebooting the phone, I now have no phone reception and cannot turn on wifi either. In settings menu it is saying Turning off Airplane mode. I have tried rebooting the phone a number of times but it is still the same. Any advice please?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hi folks
    HTC OneX, mobile provider 3.
    I followed DamoElDiablos post on the previous version to upgrade my HBoot to 1.39. I installed Team Venom's Jelly Bean Rom but on rebooting the phone, I now have no phone reception and cannot turn on wifi either. In settings menu it is saying Turning off Airplane mode. I have tried rebooting the phone a number of times but it is still the same. Any advice please?

Reboot back into recovery. Wipe & reflash

Thanks a million chinpool.
    The worked perfect, the only thing is I forgot to backup my messages before installing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

nedd wrote: »

I'm on the same, very stake and fast, not much customisation on it though, 3 dot button can't be removed and no quick settings in pull down.

3 dot menu is removed by going to Settings - > Display, gestures & buttons-> recent home buttons, it's been an option in sense for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

beno619 wrote: »
    3 dot menu is removed by going to Settings - > Display, gestures & buttons-> recent home buttons, it's been an option in sense for months now.

this changes what the "Recent Apps" button does, you can change it to open Menu if you want. But this still leaves the 3-dot button in apps, such as the Play store.

In the old ARHD there was an option to hide the 3-dot button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

In guessing you mean menu overflow as opposed to the button HTC added on the bottom?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyone know if it's possible to remap the long press action on the home button? I hate Google Now but I wouldn't mind having it pop up Google in the browser instead. Rooted 4.1.1 with stock Sense 4+. Not interested in launcher alternatives.

dahamsta wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to remap the long press action on the home button? I hate Google Now but I wouldn't mind having it pop up Google in the browser instead. Rooted 4.1.1 with stock Sense 4+. Not interested in launcher alternatives.

Pretty sure the Team Venom rom has this option in their tweaks.
    Great roms too

nedd wrote: »

this changes what the "Recent Apps" button does, you can change it to open Menu if you want. But this still leaves the 3-dot button in apps, such as the Play store.

In the old ARHD there was an option to hide the 3-dot button.

Well remapping the recent apps buttons to long press menu is more aline with what Google intended for the os and it's new design principles, doesn't really look out of place in the play store as long as 3rd party apps like Facebook can take up the full screen.

Hi folks
    I just discovered this morning after upgrading to Team Venom's Jelly Bean Rom that I cannot receive phone calls. A friend tried ringing me yesterday, but my phone did not ring and I got no missed call notification either. I can ring him and ring any number but cannot received calls.
    I have rebooted and also turned off phone for a few minutes but it is still the same.

Any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That happened me on a previous rom too, and I had no idea that I was missing calls!

I was only able to sort it by reinstalling the ROM with a full wipe.

Hope that works for you!

Thanks Damo
    As you can see from a previous post I had trouble when I first installed the Rom. I did a full wipe and installed and it worked. I then got 2 OTA updates from Team Venom that I had to install manually. Maybe this process done something to stop incoming calls.

Will try it when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

If anyone has been waiting on the Three IRL JB update, it should be coming through to you now

I think my One X is on the way out :(
    Seems like the power button gets kinda halfway stuck and sends it into a reboot cycle even though it hasn't been pressed at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Chinpool wrote: »
    I think my One X is on the way out :(
    Seems like the power button gets kinda halfway stuck and sends it into a reboot cycle even though it hasn't been pressed at all

My power button was half way down, ie it hadn't much travel and was kind of sticky so I took it open and dusted it and popped it back up. Good as new!

Dubhaltach wrote: »

My power button was half way down, ie it hadn't much travel and was kind of sticky so I took it open and dusted it and popped it back up. Good as new!
    That's my plan for later. Travel seems fine on it but it's worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Surprised there's no thread on this (or I haven't looked hard enough! :D)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/htc-one-unveiled/

Looks absolutely class.

I'm glad they've kept it to a 4.7" screen too.

Blinkfeed looks like a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I bought the One X over the SGS3 on the strength of the screen. The new SLCD3 looks like it will be a fantastic experience, but I question whether it's needed. The battery seems small for a huge amount of pixels and a year later I'm still marveling at the one X's display. Sense 4 was the first version of sense that I didn't think was an abomination but this seems to be going towards heavy skinning again. Really dislike what they've done with the capacitive buttons. On the plus side the ir blaster would be useful and the speakers seem like they'rea huge improvement on the one X's.

Overall I can't see myself upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

They tackle the myth of the megapixel by calling it an ultrapixel ? That makes no sense except to the kind of people who fall for the megapixel myth in the first place.

They should tackle the myth of all the other specs too while they're at it. The whole release is just choc full of buzzwords.

The aluminium body is nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

it looks pretty sweet, the casing reminds me of my old SE w890. Still too big though. My desire S lives on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Any idea when its coming here to o2 esp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

HTC's really bad track record in supporting old devices (old being more than 12 months) is the reason why I stopped buying them. They've dropped the ball and lost market share which is a pity as they make nice hardware.

I made the move to Nexus mainly thanks to learning the hard way how bad HTC are in supporting releases for their phones and tablets. I believe HTC are now focusing in the main on cheap devices for emerging markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

theteal wrote: »
    it looks pretty sweet, the casing reminds me of my old SE w890. Still too big though. My desire S lives on!

I loved my W890! Had a savage video camera for the time.

Really liking the look of the new One, Looking to get a new phone as it happens. Any idea of a release date?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

The lack of expandable storage and battery life are my only issues with the One-X. Neither seems to be addressed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

I'd be concerned with the battery myself, given the power of the screen.

Expandalble storage isn't a big thing for me. Anyway, this comes in 32GB/64GB models, but will obviously be pricier than buying extra storage.

Hermano makes a good point about HTC's bad track record in not supporting their devices.

At 350e SIM free, it's still hard to look beyond the Nexus 4.

Guys the problem the battery life is not the screen, it's the processor and the Tegra 3 in the One X was a dog, the S600 snapdragon is a 28nm part and will be the most battery friendly yet.
    Blinkfeed can be disabled as it just a widget.
    All the first impressions I've read on the UltraPixel Camera have been very positive.
    The thing is a beaut just like the One X was and I know most people won't agree but 10x better than paying for cheap plastic Samsung Sx.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

beno619 wrote: »
    The thing is a beaut just like the One X was and I know most people won't agree but 10x better than paying for cheap plastic Samsung Sx.

The emergence of Samsung out of the two is an interesting one alright. I mean if you look at it, the only year of poor phones from HTC was 2011. I mean, back in 2010, HTC were probably on top, they had the nexus one, desire, desire HD and the wildfire, all decent phones that did well. Samsung only really had the Galaxy S that stood out that year. 2011 was a different story though, Samsung had the S2 and the Note, as well as the Ace. The HTC Sensation, while looking nice, had battery issues and they sold it exclusively with vodafone only for a few months which didnt help. The Desire S didnt really move the game on either. That was the year Samsung really raced ahead. Last year, I thought the HTC ONE range were all very decent phones in their own right, and expected a bounce back but it didn't happen for some reason. If you look at the S3 and One X, there really isn't much in it between them. The One S is a gorgeous phone and was competing with the 2011 S2. As well the OneV was up against stuff like the Ace 2,

This new one again (pardon the pun) looks decent but to me, it doesn't look like the showstopper that HTC needed to put it up to Samsung. In fairness, they're not continuing the pointless trend of increasing screen size for effectively no reason. 4.7" is more than enough. Again though, the lack of external storage is a mistake IMO and I would hope the battery is enough to power the thing. Lets be honest, HTC's have all been tarred with the same reputation of poor battery life.

And another thing, the Xperia Z is a better looking phone but thats just me, the screen in this likely much better than the Sony's

• Registered Users Posts: 45,169 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Certainly do like the look of the new HTC One and if Meteor would let me upgrade early I would probably be putting my name down for one as soon as possible, but my contract is until May so that will force my hand. On the plus sid eof that, good chance I will get to see what the Samsung S4 has to offer, along with the possibility of a new Nexus for the new Android release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ill wait to pass real judgement once I get some hands on, but this just seems like another one of HTC handsets. Im struggling to see what would make me move back to HTC.

I imagine the small battery will make the battery life poor. Fair enough it has a 1080p display, but so will everyone else in a months time. Its not like it hasn't been done anyway.

Software "features" look ****, not even going to go near Zoe. HTC also previously said their cameras were excellent and they weren't.

Ive yet to see anything remotely as good as the HD2 from HTC.

Advertisement