Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

If an exchange is a Node Reach Site, does that mean anything to end users in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not dreaming at all, see

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/eircom-fibre-network

But Moyvore is not due an upgrade save perhaps to ADSL2

Hi SB thanks for the reply but what exactly is ADSL2 ? what speeds could I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

pm. wrote: »
    Hi SB thanks for the reply but what exactly is ADSL2 ? what speeds could I expect
    12.0 Mbit/s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Thanks Red is there a distance limit the speeds can be guaranteed to reach im about 5 kms away from the exchange and can only get 3mbs atm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ADSL2 and ADSL2+ (what eircom use) would both probably give you about 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Thanks Red is there a distance limit the speeds can be guaranteed to reach im about 5 kms away from the exchange and can only get 3mbs atm

I'm 5km away from mine and can only get 1MB:(

Some lines around the 5km or so mark are put onto a max speed of 1 mbit based on the prequalification measurement of line distance etc. Even if the line can do more and even if the DSLAM itself says that the attainable speed is higher, eircom will refuse to increase speed beyond 1024/128 kbps. There are threads about this disgrace on the Talk to: eircom forum. But ADSL2+ won't really change that beyond letting a line with a max speed of 3 mbps to connect at near 4 mbps instead. Eircom do not change this prequal limit even on exchanges which are ADSL2+ enabled.

I think you are limited by distance from and exchange and the cabinet. But if you end up getting FTTC to a cabinet near you, then it would be the distance from the cabinet to your house.

There is a cabinet about 600 - 800m away from my house (top of the housing estate) and we would get 25Mb from that service when FTTC arrives...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gaynna

red_bairn wrote: »
    I think you are limited by distance from and exchange and the cabinet. But if you end up getting FTTC to a cabinet near you, then it would be the distance from the cabinet to your house.

There is a cabinet about 600 - 800m away from my house (top of the housing estate) and we would get 25Mb from that service when FTTC arrives...

That's the best speed you can get from fiber because you're 600 - 800 meters from the cabinet?

I get 12 MB on my "up to 24MB" package. On Google maps, I'm about 700 - 750 from the exchange, according to the distance measurement tool, but there's a river in the path.

Do you know what speed I can get from FTTC?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Gaynna wrote: »
    That's the best speed you can get from fiber because you're 600 - 800 meters from the cabinet?

I get 12 MB on my "up to 24MB" package. On Google maps, I'm about 700 - 750 from the exchange, according to the distance measurement tool, but there's a river in the path.

Do you know what speed I can get from FTTC?

As the crow flys or via roadways. Sometimes the cabling wont exactly go the route you predicted. FTTC depends on how far from the cabinet you are. Not the exchange.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    As the crow flys or via roadways. Sometimes the cabling wont exactly go the route you predicted. FTTC depends on how far from the cabinet you are. Not the exchange.

Crows. If you go on to Google maps, there's a Distance Measurement Tool in MapLabs that would be only useful if you flew a helicopter because it measures distance in a perfectly straight line.

Walking, it would take 13 mins, according to Google Maps.

I have no idea where the cabinet is then because I thought the cabinets were in the exchange. Do you know how I can find mine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

big green metal box with double doors

big green metal box with double doors

When were these cabinets built? Are they specially built for the fiber rollout or have they been around since the Telecom Eireann days?

Is this one?

2iizfrk.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

bog standard cab ... there'll be a smaller one put in beside it when the FTTC is in place

arctan wrote: »
    bog standard cab ... there'll be a smaller one put in beside it when the FTTC is in place

I'm only 5 mins walk/ 350 meters from that. What speeds can I expect?

100mbits by 2014

100mbits by 2014

Sweet, I might even be only 300 meters from the cabinet because Google Maps measures in 50s. e.g. 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, etc...

What upload speeds can I expect from that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I've noticed eircom/ KN doing some work in my area. I have two shiney green boxes within 500 metres of my house. There may be others I'm not aware of.

I wonder why UPC haven't bothered to try and do more upgrades/ lay cables, with all this going on.

Liamario wrote: »
    I've noticed eircom/ KN doing some work in my area. I have two shiney green boxes within 500 metres of my house. There may be others I'm not aware of.

I wonder why UPC haven't bothered to try and do more upgrades/ lay cables, with all this going on.

I think UPC use the lines that Eircom setup. The fibre that is connected to the cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Lads, who do McCann Cabling Solutions work for? They're shoving something into ducts on the Vale and Coolgreany roads in Arklow today, wondering if it's for eircom or ESB

• Advertisement

Lads, who do McCann Cabling Solutions work for? They're shoving something into ducts on the Vale and Coolgreany roads in Arklow today, wondering if it's for eircom or ESB

Here's their website:

http://www.mccanncablingsolutions.com/

eircom adds 'unscheduled' exchanges. These are mainly rural and they will not be doing the rural parts but might throw a few in the Village itself sometime after January 2015 or January 2016.

Full List and Phasing Here

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access
    Clones Monaghan Phase 5 TBA
    Rathangan Kildare Phase 5 TBA
    Sixmilebridge Clare Phase 5 TBA
    Abbeyleix Laois Phase 5 TBA
    Annacotty Ind Est Limerick Phase 5 TBA
    Askeaton Limerick Phase 5 TBA
    Athboy Meath Phase 5 TBA
    Athenry Galway Phase 5 TBA
    Bailieboro Cavan Phase 5 TBA
    Ballinrobe Mayo Phase 5 TBA
    Ballyjamesduff Cavan Phase 5 TBA
    Ballymahon Longford Phase 5 TBA
    Ballymote Sligo Phase 5 TBA
    Ballyspillane Kerry Phase 5 TBA
    Baltinglass Wicklow Phase 5 TBA
    Banagher Offaly Phase 5 TBA
    Bantry Cork Phase 5 TBA
    Barna Galway Phase 5 TBA
    Barntown Wexford Phase 5 TBA
    Boyle Roscommon Phase 5 TBA
    Bunclody Wexford Phase 5 TBA
    Bundoran Donegal Phase 5 TBA
    Cahir Tipperary Phase 5 TBA
    Cahirciveen Kerry Phase 5 TBA
    Callan Kilkenny Phase 5 TBA
    Carndonagh Donegal Phase 5 TBA
    Carrickonsuir Tipperary Phase 5 TBA
    Cashel Tipperary Phase 5 TBA
    Castlebellingham Louth Phase 5 TBA
    Castleblayney Monaghan Phase 5 TBA
    Castleisland Kerry Phase 5 TBA
    Castlelyons Cork Phase 5 TBA
    Claregalway Galway Phase 5 TBA
    Claremorris Mayo Phase 5 TBA
    Clonakilty Cork Phase 5 TBA
    Collooney Sligo Phase 5 TBA
    Courtown Harbour Wexford Phase 5 TBA
    Crosshaven Cork Phase 5 TBA
    Curragh Camp Kildare Phase 5 TBA
    Dingle Kerry Phase 5 TBA
    Dublin Airport Dublin Phase 5 TBA
    Duleek Meath Phase 5 TBA
    Dunleer Louth Phase 5 TBA
    Enfield Meath Phase 5 TBA
    Enniskerry Wicklow Phase 5 TBA
    Gracefield Offaly Phase 5 TBA
    Greenoge Dublin Phase 5 TBA
    Inch St Lawrence Limerick Phase 5 TBA
    Kanturk Cork Phase 5 TBA
    Kilcolgan Galway Phase 5 TBA
    Kilcullen Kildare Phase 5 TBA
    Kill Kildare Phase 5 TBA
    Killaloe Clare Phase 5 TBA
    Killorglin Kerry Phase 5 TBA
    Kilmacanogue Wicklow Phase 5 TBA
    Kilrush Clare Phase 5 TBA
    Kingscourt Cavan Phase 5 TBA
    Macroom Cork Phase 5 TBA
    Moate Westmeath Phase 5 TBA
    Monasterevan Kildare Phase 5 TBA
    Mountmellick Laois Phase 5 TBA
    Moycullen Galway Phase 5 TBA
    Mucross Kerry Phase 5 TBA
    Muine Bheag Carlow Phase 5 TBA
    Newport Tipperary Phase 5 TBA
    Oughterard Galway Phase 5 TBA
    Prosperous Kildare Phase 5 TBA
    Rathluirc Cork Phase 5 TBA
    Robertstown Kildare Phase 5 TBA
    Rooskey Roscommon Phase 5 TBA
    Skibbereen Cork Phase 5 TBA
    Templemore Tipperary Phase 5 TBA
    Termonfeckin Louth Phase 5 TBA
    Thomastown Kilkenny Phase 5 TBA
    Tubbercurry Sligo Phase 5 TBA
    Tullow Carlow Phase 5 TBA
    Tyrrelstown Dublin Phase 5 TBA
    Virginia Cavan Phase 5 TBA

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Have just come across KN doing work in Longford. They seemed to be laying blue cable. Anyone know if this is fibre?

I'm hoping it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭red bellied

I am in Sligo and Eircom have put in a smaller green box beside the original bigger cabinet and its about 25 yards away from my house. Currently with Digiweb metro, I am happy enough with them except for their cap. Would it be worth switching to Eircom when their new set up launches?

I am in Sligo and Eircom have put in a smaller green box beside the original bigger cabinet and its about 25 yards away from my house. Currently with Digiweb metro, I am happy enough with them except for their cap. Would it be worth switching to Eircom when their new set up launches?

How much is your cap? I was with Digiweb in 2006 and I had a cap of 10GB on a 1mb connection. Bastards throttled my speed which would be used up in a week. Upgrade to 2mb and a cap of 20GB, still used it up way too early. I've since changed to Eircom and they don't throttle anyone's speed or charge extra even though they have a "fair usage" cap.

I'd go with Eircom, or any company, just for the unlimited download.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭red bellied

Gaynna wrote: »
    How much is your cap? I was with Digiweb in 2006 and I had a cap of 10GB on a 1mb connection. Bastards throttled my speed which would be used up in a week. Upgrade to 2mb and a cap of 20GB, still used it up way too early. I've since changed to Eircom and they don't throttle anyone's speed or charge extra even though they have a "fair usage" cap.

I'd go with Eircom, or any company, just for the unlimited download.

Its 100GB now but I am constantly bordering on it due to it been a rolling cap. Wouldnt be too bad if it started a fresh after every month.

Its 100GB now but I am constantly bordering on it due to it been a rolling cap. Wouldnt be too bad if it started a fresh after every month.
    Can you get UPC in your part of Sligo?

On a topical note: are there many cabinets in urban areas involved in the rollout which don't have new cabinets nearby but do have "extensions" fitted to the top of existing cabinets (the green ones they've typically used for 15 years now)?? I've seen a few of those in the Drogheda exchange area and also one in the Crown Alley exchange area (central dub).

eircom adds 'unscheduled' exchanges. These are mainly rural and they will not be doing the rural parts but might throw a few in the Village itself sometime after January 2015 or January 2016.

Full List and Phasing here

Dublin airport...

This country is so messed up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Can you get UPC in your part of Sligo?

On a topical note: are there many cabinets in urban areas involved in the rollout which don't have new cabinets nearby but do have "extensions" fitted to the top of existing cabinets (the green ones they've typically used for 15 years now)?? I've seen a few of those in the Drogheda exchange area and also one in the Crown Alley exchange area (central dub).

Parts of Sligo Town have UPC

• Advertisement

Parts of Sligo Town have UPC
    I know... but is the poster living in a part of Sligo which is covered by UPC?

Advertisement