Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

rasher_m wrote: »
    Thanks career_move, no yesterdays figures are right. i ran a 5 km race parkrun and then ran 11 miles in the afternoon in the park. i noticed the numbers being wrong during the week but they could be ok now.
    Oh cool sorry. How did the parkrun go for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Oh cool sorry. How did the parkrun go for you?

Ah the race itself was great, well organised and nice venue. my time hasnt improved since june though and i was feeling sick towards the end. i wont be eating a bacon mc muffin before a run again.:-D
    I went down there with lizzy c and fifi and we went for coffee afterwards. lizzy was going for a long run in the phoenix park so we joined her. it was grand getting that done since i was going out last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

rasher_m wrote: »
    i was feeling sick towards the end.

Sure that's what a 5k is supposed to feel like! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    Sure that's what a 5k is supposed to feel like! ;)

haha, great! Well that reassures me :D

To be honest I never ran a 5km before but judging from my 10km I ran a poor 5km. Sure I can only improve ;)

I'd say it would be a great way to get in a speed session if you could get up early every Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

What a perfect day for a run! Body warmer and my 'proud finisher' top on! Went for 4 miles fearing my shin would complain but it went great so I did 6. Changed my technique think that helped. Best run since dcm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Pleased to have completed 8 or so miles on this manky evening as I was sorely tempted to hit the couch for the night.

When I saw two anonymous guys out running in the rain while I was driving back from the shops they shamed me into getting my gear on and hitting the streets. :)

Glad i did it now, Time for some wine and love/hate

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

All sorts going on this week with you all, between pyramid sessions, parkruns and running with your doggies. :) I managed three runs this week which is the most since DCM. ITB still bad so really only ticking over.:( Raring to get back at it properly. I help coach the beginner runners in our club and I had them on Tuesday which was 800 repeats. The clubs next goal race is the Raheny 5 mile so everyone is trying to get some speed in the legs, beginners included. Thursday was a 5 mile easy run with the club. Today I brought beginners out for their LSR they did 4.5 miles which is great for them. Trying to get them up to the 10k distance so a few more weeks and we'll get there. I really need to get this ITB sorted so that I can try to get up to the 5 days a week running. I've been cycling to work it's 6 miles each way so I hope that's contributing to keeping the fitness ticking over. I really want to get started on some strength stuff. I'm not too shabby at the plank. Maybe we should have a plank challenge, I can't compete with any of you with speed so maybe this is somewhere I can hold my own.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

HI folks, sorry for the tardiness with the plan, I have been away for most of the last 2 days so haven't had a chance to catch up. I am sure you have all been holding your breath:D

So the plan for this week is as follows:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|4 mile easy|Session*|2m easy/recovery|4m easy with strides|rest/cross|8-11 miles LSR

Ok, so another step up this week, with the HM'ers doing 27 miles in total!!

Since the strides were so popular last week you can do 1 rep of the Pyramid strides on either of the 4m runs :D

This weeks session will be a big step up as you should now be more or less recovered from DCM and it should be specific to the Goal race you are doing in December.

For those doing the HM the session is 2 x 2miles at HMP. This should be done at your goal pace for the race and the idea is to get you used to the feel of the pace. The session should go: 1 mile easy; 2 miles @ HMP; 1 mile easy; 2 Miles @ HMP, 1 Mile easy (7 miles total).

If you are aiming for a 10k in December then do: 1 mile easy then 5 x 1k @ 10k pace (jog 3 minutes between each 1k interval), 1 mile easy (cool down). (this session will be about 6 miles in total).

If your goal is a 5k race then the session should be: 1 miles easy followed by 5 x 800m (or 1/2 mile) @ 5k pace with 3 minutes jog between intervals, then 1 mile cool down. That session should be about 5.5 miles in total.

I'll catch up with the weekend posts tomorrow. but in the meantime, any questions about next week's plan; fire away!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    ... but in the meantime, any questions about next week's plan; fire away!!
    Where are the pictures???

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    I'm not too shabby at the plank. Maybe we should have a plank challenge :D
    Come on over to my log......that's where all the planks hang out :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Come on over to my log......that's where all the planks hang out :D:D

I checked that out I see what you mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I didn’t do the pyramid strides last week and probably won’t do them this week either as my knee is still quite sore and running fast aggravates it a bit, a question about them though, how do you keep an eye on your pace when it is dark? Do you just run flat out and check your pace later? Half my problem is that I don’t know how to use my watch properly, so not sure exactly how to do splits/laps.

ncmc wrote: »
    I didn’t do the pyramid strides last week and probably won’t do them this week either as my knee is still quite sore and running fast aggravates it a bit, a question about them though, how do you keep an eye on your pace when it is dark? Do you just run flat out and check your pace later? Half my problem is that I don’t know how to use my watch properly, so not sure exactly how to do splits/laps.

Doing strides is not a tough session and you should not be running them flat out. A lot of runners put a few strides into a lot of their easy runs to freshen up the legs a bit. You often see top runners before a race doing jogs with short bursts at a faster pace: that's what a stride is.
    It's not really important to look at the pace too much, over such a short period of time (20-60 seconds), the pace can be hit and miss anyway. Just pick up the pace a bit so it feels like a 5k effort. Do Not sprint them flat out.

The real tough session of the week is the wednesday session, which should be done at race pace. I would always try to do a session like that in a well lit area or in the daytime. Failing that a head torch can be invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Think there is something up with the training log spreadsheet.....

snowman224 wrote: »
    Think there is something up with the training log spreadsheet.....

As an IT head, this is something I get quite alot and one is none the wiser without details?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

As an IT head, this is something I get quite alot and one is none the wiser without details?! :)

IT head here too. :)

Sheet 3 is the same as sheet 2 - and is blank of all data.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Doing strides is not a tough session and you should not be running them flat out. A lot of runners put a few strides into a lot of their easy runs to freshen up the legs a bit. You often see top runners before a race doing jogs with short bursts at a faster pace: that's what a stride is.
    It's not really important to look at the pace too much, over such a short period of time (20-60 seconds), the pace can be hit and miss anyway. Just pick up the pace a bit so it feels like a 5k effort. Do Not sprint them flat out.

The real tough session of the week is the wednesday session, which should be done at race pace. I would always try to do a session like that in a well lit area or in the daytime. Failing that a head torch can be invaluable.

Ok, that makes more sense, I got to the 'feel like i'm gonna throw up' stage attempting the strides on Saturday, so possibly was pushing it a wee bit! Will try and throw in a couple of short bursts into one of my 4 mile runs this week.

ncmc wrote: »
    Ok, that makes more sense, I got to the 'feel like i'm gonna throw up' stage attempting the strides on Saturday, so possibly was pushing it a wee bit! Will try and throw in a couple of short bursts into one of my 4 mile runs this week.

Strides should be fun :)

If you were doing the 5k pace repetitions on wednesday, it is normal to feel like puking after that session ;).

Also, just getting back to a few posts from the weekend: I see that a few people have mentioned doing club sessions during the week. I am quite happy for you guys to skip my wednesday session and do your club session instead (even if it is slightly different). There is real benefit out of doing these types of session in a group as you tend to push yourself a bit harder than you could do on your own. Just make sure you join a group doing the intervals at the appropriate pace for you. The idea is that your last interval should be the same pace as your first one.

Shoot, can't access the doc here. If it's still like that later on I'll take a look.

IT head +2...sheet 2 has all info in it now and sheet 3 has previous weeks data recorded but no new entries from today which could possibly be correct since its early yet.

• Advertisement

Oooh touchy!!! Did one have too many beverages at the weekend???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sheet 3 titled DCM12+3 is blank because it's the new weeks log.

Last weeks is in tab DCM12+2

The week before is in DCM12+1

The week before that as you've probably guessed by now was DCM itself and our little group here was yet to be born. :)

It may have saved some confusion if the gobsh!te who updated the sheet remembered to change the dates at the top. ;)

Oooh touchy!!! Did one have too many beverages at the weekend???

I was going to blame it on being a Monday, but alas, I'm just cranky every day of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Ya, work in IT myself as well.

@Snowman - did you try turn it off and turn it on again? :D

miguelk wrote: »

Ya, work in IT myself as well.

@Snowman - did you try turn it off and turn it on again? :D

The answer to everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    ...... I really want to get started on some strength stuff. I'm not too shabby at the plank. Maybe we should have a plank challenge, I can't compete with any of you with speed so maybe this is somewhere I can hold my own.:D

Reading through and thinking the same about something actually be good at seen as did Pilates for a yr up to the summer.. Then tried to do it again and lasted all of 28 seconds....:eek:
    Used to be able to alternate between plank & side plank for 5 mins no probs, god darn it, have lost all core strength in just 3 months...............:( So guess I know what my homework is now...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

The Irish Times is well worth it's cover price today ;-)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2012/1120/1224326834410.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'll just read the link so :p

Great interview Killian. It strikes a great balance between showing how far you've come without making it look unatainable by those still on the couch. Fair play.

Thanks for the link. That's a great article....you make it sound so much fun :D

• Advertisement

Well done Killian! Really shows how far you've come. I like your top tip, “The mind always gives up before the body." Very true... Is that the polite way of saying HTFU :p

Advertisement