Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Paisley is in hospital...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I have read many books on the subject and known people badly affected by the troubles. There was certainly worse than him in the north.
    ...Which is apropos of nothing.

Criticism of any other incendiary figure or instigator of aggression does not detract from Paisley's own wrongdoing; mitigating such criticism in this way is a non sequitur.

That's the logical equivalent of defending yourself for beating your wife on the grounds that other people are shooting theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Yeah, just like blowing people to pieces and shooting people. A people of the time.

Good luck to him. Him and Thatcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Hopefully his autobiography can be released soon. He was a good Ulsterman.

Hopefully it will be released soon, one wonders what his last words will be.

Just curious as to what constitutes "a good Ulsterman", do you have a top ten of what makes him such?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

just wondering what anyone thought of his work in Africa ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Ian Paisley has been diagnosed with alzheimers he was last seen marching up the Shankhill Road shouting, 'No Remember.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be released soon, one wonders what his last words will be.

Just curious as to what constitutes "a good Ulsterman", do you have a top ten of what makes him such?

The guy's a class-A troll who only ever gets involved in anti-Republic, pro-Unionist, pro-Rangers talk. You're just feeding a fire really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I actually looked for the newspaper article which had him cursing out African villagers and generally laughing at the poverty, but sadly everything in print has not yet made it to the web. At the time it was widely held to be a fairly disgraceful parade of ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I'm pretty ignorant of this topic, any good link? Is it this or something older?
    http://www.ballymoneytimes.co.uk/news/local/paisley_travels_to_africa_for_peace_and_reconciliation_efffort_1_3447070

markesmith wrote: »
    The guy's a class-A troll who only ever gets involved in anti-Republic, pro-Unionist, pro-Rangers talk. You're just feeding a fire really.

I'm familiar with Keith's postings on a lot of these topics in AH, thanks... just a genuine question towards him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

markesmith wrote: »
    Please keep your accusations to yourself. I think everyone is entitled to a view on Ian Paisley. Some people like to look at the positives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Please keep your accusations to yourself. I think everyone is entitled to a view on Ian Paisley. Some people like to look at the positives.

While there is no harm to look for positives to overlook the flaws is dangerous. I'm sure you could find positives in every despot who has lived.

I'm sure the man did many good things for the benefit of his people but at the detriment of others. The same can be said for leaders on the other side too although they were never really in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    While there is no harm to look for positives to overlook the flaws is dangerous. I'm sure you could find positives in every despot who has lived.

I'm sure the man did many good things for the benefit of his people but at the detriment of others. The same can be said for leaders on the other side too although they were never really in power.

I heard Hitler had a great sense of humour too.

He might be a despot to you. You are entitled to that view. To others, he wasn't. History will judge him. The conflict is over.

Irish Wolf wrote: »

^^ Genuine question, @KeithAFC

PM me if you'd rather... prolly won't be online too much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I didn't say he was a despot. He is a bigot however and spread hate. That is not opinion it's fact. Thankfully the newer generation of Unionsts are more mature in their outlook.

And as you say he will be viewed differently depending on what side of the fence you were on living in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It gives hope to the right wing baxtards on AH, even KeithAFC may see the light, as Paisley did.

Fighting the good fight is pretty pointless. We all end up compromising in the end, giving out about compromising.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

That was touched upon in Jon Ronson's documentary from a few years back for Ch4.

It was a wholly unflattering portrait of Paisley and the wee-weasely lapdog pastor accompanying him, whose name escapes me.

Seemed to involve a transparently self-satisfied jaunt round the colonies to hector the perfidious savage on the need to abide by old testament scripture - all the while ignoring the plight of the people they encountered along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm appealing to people not to let this thread descend into the mind-numbingly repetitive 'KeithAFC show'.

There's a PM function for voyeurs people if they are genuinely curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Why? He probably felt the same about anyone that called themselves Irish...
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Not so
    Quote: "I was born in the island of Ireland. I have Irish traits in me - we don't all have the traits of what came from Scotland, there is the celtic factor... and I am an Irishman because you cannot be an Ulsterman without being an Irishman"

Doesn't think he's Irish in that clip.

I didn't say he was a despot. He is a bigot however and spread hate. That is not opinion it's fact. Thankfully the newer generation of Unionsts are more mature in their outlook.

And as you say he will be viewed differently depending on what side of the fence you were on living in the North.
    Perhaps he changed as he got older. I don't think his politics did. He was a man of his time. People only think the conflict started in the the 60's. It didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That was touched upon in Jon Ronson's documentary from a few years back for Ch4.

It was a wholly unflattering portrait of Paisley and the wee-weasely lapdog pastor accompanying him, whose name escapes me.

Seemed to involve a transparently self-satisfied jaunt round the colonies to hector the perfidious savage on the need to abide by old testament scripture - all the while ignoring the plight of the people they encountered along the way.

I remember that documentary. He had an orange lodge in the arse end of africa if I recall correctly. Didn't he also refer to the reporter in booming terms along the lines of 'Ahh HERE COMES MY ISRAELITE FRIEND !!!' (reporter was jewish). He really didn't come across too hot in that documentary. I think it also outlined his days in the bible bashing belt of america where he learned the tricks of his trade.

I always remember seeing a documentary a few years back interviewing Loyalist paramilitaries who were particularly bitter towards Paisley.

They took full personal responsibility for their own actions but were firmly of the belief that Paisley had stirred them up through fear and hate-mongering to commit some of the sectarian hate crimes they had committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Morlar wrote: »
    I always remember seeing a documentary a few years back interviewing Loyalist paramilitaries who were particularly bitter towards Paisley.
    Paisley consistently condemned the loyalist paramilitaries and told them to give up violence. Thats why they did not like Paisley. Paisley got votes from the catholics on Rathlin island ; he did not get votes from terrorists.

Unlike Sinn Fein in the eighties for example who openly advocated violence ...the klasknikov in one hand and the ballot box in the other etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

gigino wrote: »
    Paisley consistently condemned the loyalist paramilitaries and told them to give up violence. Thats why they did not like Paisley. Paisley got votes from the catholics on Rathlin island ; he did not get votes from terrorists.

Unlike Sinn Fein in the eighties for example who openly advocated violence ...the klasknikov in one hand and the ballot box in the other etc.

That is horsesh1t. I have seen him interviewed barely able to conceal his glee at the assasination attempts by loyalist terrorists on Gerry Adams for example. He was a raving anti-Catholic bigot.

This is from Ruth Dudley Edwards -a Southern Unionist and vehement anti-republican

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-527351/Shed-tears-roaring-bigot-He-did-did-Ian-Paisley---peace.html
    Although Paisley has never endorsed killing, and therefore was not as bad as the IRA, he spread paranoia and hatred - and then washed his hands when some of his audience became over-excited.

Many loyalist paramilitaries have said they would never have become involved in violence had they not been inspired by the inflammatory rhetoric of Ian Paisley to counter the twin enemies of Rome and the Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

gigino wrote: »
    Paisley consistently condemned the loyalist paramilitaries and told them to give up violence............

Except when he was having his "third force " parade past by torchlight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

O, and the Ulster Protestant Volunteers in the 1960's and the Ulster Resistance in the 80's...lovely lads, went on a shopping trip to South Africa for weapons and the like.
    http://www.pacemakerpressintl.com/photo?id=34417

Nodin wrote: »
    O, and the Ulster Protestant Volunteers in the 1960's and the Ulster Resistance in the 80's...lovely lads, went on a shopping trip to South Africa for weapons and the like.
    So did all Volunteer organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Morlar wrote: »
    That is horsesh1t. I have seen him interviewed barely able to conceal his glee at the assasination attempts by loyalist terrorists on Gerry Adams for example. He was a raving anti-Catholic bigot.
    But sure what, gigino, Lord Sot, Keith, bwatson and the rest of the crew show up in every one of these threads mumbling their usual sectarian drivel. The kind of people that helped make Norn iron the most racist place on earth, literally.

I've news for ye laddies, you'll be treated fair, but when you join the Republic you'll have to wrap that shite up fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

This is a thread about someone whos views I disagree with who is ill. I hope he gets better. That is all.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    But sure what, gigino, Lord Sot, Keith, bwatson and the rest of the crew show up in every one of these threads mumbling their usual sectarian drivel. The kind of people that helped make Norn iron the most racist place on earth, literally.

I've news for ye laddies, you'll be treated fair, but when you join the Republic you'll have to wrap that shite up fairly sharpish.

Doc, your concept of racism is as accurate as your concept of irony.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Doc, your concept of racism is as accurate as your concept of irony.
    Worst thing about it was the reference about joining the Republic. I don't think too many people are in any rush to join what is described all the time on here as a dump or a banana Republic.

Advertisement