Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Damn it, I just love XSeed. Now hurry up with Trails in the Sky 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

79fed71b0e1ff2cdf0a48d6c92a659bd.jpg

Yosuke Matsuda said today that Dragon Quest is going to have a bright future and they are looking into making it a successful franchise in the west.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sure... How about showing us how much you mean it by releasing DQVII and the DQ Monster remakes on the 3DS and feck off with your crappy Musou game.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I will buy it and I will play it and I will love it because it's a Dragon Quest game. But I also want Dragon Quest VII.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Downloaded Sukeiden 2 Retr0 - I shall begin tomorrow.

Only decision is HDTV or PSP!

EDIT: Is that DQ: Heroes game now good? Haven't played a DQ since 8.

• Advertisement

I hope you enjoy it after all my gushing and I haven't hyped it too much!

DQ: Heroes is a Musuo game, basically Dynasty Warriors with Dragon Quest characters so not a real DQ game. If a new DQ were to be made it would almost certainly be on 3DS unless the PS4 starts selling in Japan, so far it's a flop over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Smt 4 is very grindy at the start

Smt 4 is very grindy at the start

As long as you are fusing demons and not hanging on to crappy ones it's not really. It's a bit like Etrian Odyssey at the start where you push as far as you can into Naraku and get your ass out of there but the game becomes very easy quite quickly (probably too easy) and completely changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hey folks, there's a weekly humble bundle with a load of Japanese games on it, it piqued my interest because it has Influent which is for language learning. Aanyway I thought I might ask here, anyone know if the games are worth it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Never heard of any of them or played any of them.

• Advertisement

There's some good stuff on there. Cherry High Comedy Club is pretty much Persona with none of the RPG stuff. It's vey funny and very well written. Reactor:360 or however it's called is a great twist on the shmup formula. The Alltynex trilogy are 3 shmups, all of which are superb. They play like old school shmups before Cave bullet hell shooters arrived and Half Minute Hero 2 is good but the first game is way better. I've heard good things about Fairy Bloom Freesia, Edelweiss make good doujin games, and Battle Festa.

Looking forward to picking up Toukiden Kiwami next month, its more action rpg than Monster Hunter clone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Looking forward to picking up Toukiden Kiwami next month, its more action rpg than Monster Hunter clone.

I got the original last year and I'm stuck on the last mission on chapter 2 :mad:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's some good stuff on there. Cherry High Comedy Club is pretty much Persona with none of the RPG stuff. It's vey funny and very well written. Reactor:360 or however it's called is a great twist on the shmup formula. The Alltynex trilogy are 3 shmups, all of which are superb. They play like old school shmups before Cave bullet hell shooters arrived and Half Minute Hero 2 is good but the first game is way better. I've heard good things about Fairy Bloom Freesia, Edelweiss make good doujin games, and Battle Festa.

I should probably leave it, I want one thing there, and the rest will probably just add to the increasing list of things I'll never get around to playing :o

Well I'll just leave it after saying that if you like old school shmups then the Alltynex trilogy are incredible.

Well I'll just leave it after saying that if you like old school shmups then the Alltynex trilogy are incredible.

Nah, not really into that style of game. I think one of the only other things there that interests me is Rime Berta, 'cos that looks like fun and I do kinda want some games that I can try play with a Japanese interface and all. But other than that, I might just pay under the average to cut down on useless bundle crap that I'll most likely not play. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

As long as you are fusing demons and not hanging on to crappy ones it's not really. It's a bit like Etrian Odyssey at the start where you push as far as you can into Naraku and get your ass out of there but the game becomes very easy quite quickly (probably too easy) and completely changes.

At the start it feels like it but once you get a few levels, put all points in magic and have a few demons you cab start to break the game.

Yeah I'd have preferred a bit more challenge like Nocturne offered but still loved the game. I think I just know smt so well and realise just how powerful buffs and debuffs are in the game.

I am playing rebirth2 ATM and was enjoying it right up until I had a boss fight and beat them and then was thrown back into another boss fight with the same two enemies and they one hit everyone ,game over :mad:

I hope you enjoy it after all my gushing and I haven't hyped it too much!

I am back in Muse City (just after infiltrating the Highland camp and losing Jowa).

Not convinced yet. Story could be interesting but everything is so skin deep in terms of context, explanation and development.

Battles are a bit meh so far. Only the one boss so far (Mist Monster) but random encounters are a pain (at least the loading times are good). I seem to have 4 characters defend and two Unite to do a DMG Vs ALL attack - others feels redundant.

When defending the merc fort with that meh little mini game, I lost the spear guy (the guy who fixed the fire spears) and he seems to be dead forever?

Not a huge fan of RPGs with this many characters as they start to feel like throwaways with no backstory or defining talents in battle. Starting playing on TV with 4:3 mode on - PSP was giving me a creak in the neck.

• Advertisement

Where you are at is just before the story starts to get interesting and the gameplay will get more interesting once you get your castle which is a bit away now. It's going to start getting a lot more political and Game of Thrones-esque (dare I say far better than GoT) very shortly. The battle system isn't going to get much better though, it's fast paced but there's not a lot to it but there's a lot of other RPGs like that.

You can lose characters permanently in mass battles so be careful. Most of the characters are throwaway (there is 108 afterall) but the main players are very well fleshed out. The rest... well they're pretty much Pokemon but some open up some nice extras in your castle.

Where you are at is just before the story starts to get interesting and the gameplay will get more interesting once you get your castle which is a bit away now. It's going to start getting a lot more political and Game of Thrones-esque (dare I say far better than GoT) very shortly. The battle system isn't going to get much better though, it's fast paced but there's not a lot to it but there's a lot of other RPGs like that.

You can lose characters permanently in mass battles so be careful. Most of the characters are throwaway (there is 108 afterall) but the main players are very well fleshed out. The rest... well they're pretty much Pokemon but some open up some nice extras in your castle.

Grand. I'll stick with it.

I won't try and compare it to FF7 yet to try and avoid an argument!:pac:

Anyone know anything about Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters ? its out next week for vita.

Anyone know anything about Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters ? its out next week for vita.

It is a visual novel with RPG elements done by Hidetaka Suehiro ( Deadly Premonition and D4), the music is being done by Nobuo Uematsu ( most FF games) I have it pre ordered, it is meant to be quite a dark game.

You had me at Deadly Premonition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Nope, it does look interesting though.

Oreshika is out today, I'll think I'll wait for reviews though since reactions seemed fairly mixed when it was originally released.

megaten wrote: »
    Nope, it does look interesting though.

Oreshika is out today, I'll think I'll wait for reviews though since reactions seemed fairly mixed when it was originally released.

Still not up on the store,they better not delay it like they did with Hotaru no Nikki last week.

Still not up on the store,they better not delay it like they did with Hotaru no Nikki last week.

Picked it up on the US store last night, loving it so far, it has some of the best graphics of any Vita game I have played, glad to see as well it is getting the same high praise as its predecessor.

Xenji wrote: »
    Picked it up on the US store last night, loving it so far, it has some of the best graphics of any Vita game I have played, glad to see as well it is getting the same high praise as its predecessor.

Nevermind I found it, Is it a tough game?

• Advertisement

Nevermind I found it, Is it a tough game?

The difficulty settings are a bit confusing to begin with, but it comes with a 50 page digital manual to help you out, otherwise so far on Fanatical it has been challenging but in a fun way.

Advertisement