Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Davei141 wrote: »
    Talking to people mid fight is a tactic, it has nothing to do with toying with people (in 90% of cases anyway), it is to throw them off their game and make them make a mistake/be hesitant. The haymaker comment is just flat out bizarre i don't even know what that is supposed to mean? Good luck with your opinions on future McGregor fights.

I'd agree with the talking thing being a tactic (especially if he's saying some pretty crazy stuff), as unless the opponent can completely block out any talking, he will be using at least some amount of brain processing power to hear what is being said (whether he wants to hear it or not), all valuable processing power which could be better served preparing for the next incoming move/hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

How do people think he'd do if he stepped up a weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Delighted he kept Foggy Dew as his entrance song, top class cage walk song. Can imagine Sinead and The Chieftains on a live stage singing him into the cage at the Aviva, that would be a sight to behold!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭Invincible

Saw the fights Monday night ans of them all McGregors was the moat harmless, how the ref stopped it so soon was hard to figure, considering the abuse the previous fighters took. Call me sceptical but if someone told me it was a set up to hype him up for upcoming fights, I'd believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Invincible wrote: »
    Saw the fights Monday night ans of them all McGregors was the moat harmless, how the ref stopped it so soon was hard to figure, considering the abuse the previous fighters took. Call me sceptical but if someone told me it was a set up to hype him up for upcoming fights, I'd believe them.

Just because the ref didn't let Poirier take unnecessary punishment doesn't mean it was a soft stoppage. It was a correct stoppage.
    Some people just aren't happy unless the fighters leave the cage as a bloody mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dustin is out for a month as a precaution, i'm sure he would have protested that if he was ok.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Just because the ref didn't let Poirier take unnecessary punishment doesn't mean it was a soft stoppage. It was a correct stoppage.
    Some people just aren't happy unless the fighters leave the cage as a bloody mess.

No expert, but the refs seem to have different criteria for stopping fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I thought it was stopped a little quick especially when compared with Cruzs fight which wasn't stopped quick enough.
    Take nothing away from Conor it was a great performance against a good fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    How do people think he'd do if he stepped up a weight?

Champion : Anthony Pettis

1 Gilbert Melendez
    2 Khabib Nurmagomedov
    3 Rafael dos Anjos
    4 Donald Cerrone

5 Benson Henderson

6 Josh Thomson
    7 Bobby Green
    8 Myles Jury
    9 Jim Miller
    10 Eddie Alvarez

11 Michael Johnson

12 Edson Barboza

13 Jorge Masvidal

14 Rustam Khabilov

15 Nate Diaz

Interesting thing is the size difference between some LWs is amazing... Conor's a big strong dude at 145 and not small at 155 either especially when he can fill out and retain more weight through a camp and cut less, less taxing on the body and mind etc etc

Take Cerrone
    Cowboy is mahusive at LW and looked feckin humongusoidal vs Alvarez so that's an interesting one although with his step forward MT stance he'd be tagged a lotttt by Conor and I'm gona say Conor beats him using footwork and accurasy but he'd want to stay sharp and at range between exchanges coz Cowboy is a big tough dude with filthy kicks... again he's tough and can take smacks, but not a clean McGregor hook none of them can, IMO Conor would find that punch (prob not a kick with height diff and Cowboys guard style) and he'd finish him clinically. That's my opinion. He's a class above Cowboy as a striker, more dynamic moves better is faster has more pop etc

Basically a McGregor carrying more weight in his strikes and with less weight cutting strain comes into a LW fight with the ability to finish any of these guys, possibly, but we have simply not seen him deal with a Bendo takedown or bigger fighter like Cowboy at this level yet so there is a lot of unknowns.

Pettis v Conor is a dream match up for me in a couple years. Showtime's got an inch in height but shorter reach, similar number of fights and probably very similar power from what I can tell. Pettis is very likely a better submission artist but as good as he is on the feet Conor would be better IMO. It would be a very fair match up I really think that.

There's some guys though in that list with major power and wrestling power in particular so if he went up for a few fights he would need to maximise his own raw power in training and put on few more lbs of muscle I reckon to give himself the best chance. In other words I wouldn't like to see him go up in his current shape and size and simply do less weight cutting... he'd be better actually stepping up his size a tad given some of the beasts at LW.

I think Conor could beat Melendez tomorrow if they fought... just another opinion. some of them I'm pretty confident about and he's one... others I'm wary of their wrestling and power but he could actually just shock everyone and run rings around most of the top 15 bar maybe 5 guys on that list.

LW dreaming is great fun but we have a job at hand now! If they hold him back now from fast track (but still rational) title shot he could ask for a LW fight totally possible... and winning a LW fight against any top 10 LW in the UFC would just push him up yet another level in popularity and respect if he got the job done. It's mouth watering to say the least but part of my brain says whoa slow your roll stay focused at 145 don't go bleeding mental, and the other part says where's the popcorn fkin do it who cares you're awesome choo choooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Dustin went limp and took at least one shot while face down and his arms flopped to the ground. Thats enough for any ref. Just because he regained his senses soon straight after makes the stoppage no less legit

• Advertisement

Dustin is out for a month as a precaution, i'm sure he would have protested that if he was ok.

Did he not protest after that it was just a blow to the back of his head?
    I can understand with the Irish following he has in America why they might give him fights to build him up to an American audience but compared to the other fights in 178, it looked staged.

ShimmeringColossalCarpenterant.gif

I can understand with the Irish following he has in America why they might give him fights to build him up to an American audience but compared to the other fights in 178, it looked staged.
    a protest whilst barely able to stand up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Mellor wrote: »
    Of course you do to have to be.
    But out of curiosity, is it that you still do to think he as that good yet? Or you just don't like him?

Sorry for the late reply. I just don't like him, his attitude in the build up to fights etc. I've been letting that get in the way of judging him as a fighter. He's a very good fighter. I rate Poirier very high.

http://gfycat.com/MammothVagueFluke

Poiriers arms fall down limp as the strike hits him it's so obvious it's not a dive it's ridiculous anyone even thinks it after watching it closely now

can somebody embed the gif and leave it running to stop the conspiracy train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Ah would ya stop..

Poiriers arms fall down limp as the strike hits him it's so obvious it's not a dive it's ridiculous anyone even thinks it after watching it closely now

dustin caught some square punches throughout, he looked hurt before the final flurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

No expert, but the refs seem to have different criteria for stopping fights.

All refs have the same criteria for stopping fights but, as with anything, no two people will see things exactly the same. Some refs will let things go a bit further but they're usually experienced enough to know when it's time to call it.
    In my opinion (and most other people's) this fight was stopped at the right time. There was no sense in letting McGregor give Dustin brain damage just so the fans can get their fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I wonder will Conor keep doing his mad kick at the start of the first round?

It was a spinning back kick against Brandao, and a hook kick against Poirier. I think he might have done a capoera kick against Holloway but I'm not sure. Anyway, he may want to change that up in his next fight as that's the type of thing Aldo in particular would be able to exploit. His finish against Cub springs to mind.

Also, it's mad the lengths some will go to looking for excuses to bash Conor. It's been the same with Jon Jones. I've no doubt Conor will get the FW belt now, and although Aldo is a great Champ, I don't know if he's the same athlete he was a year or two ago. All those cuts take it out of you over time, and as people have mentioned, he's been through many more rounds than Conor.

it's not even that glancing a punch it clearly bumps off Dustins head anyway
    (this is the great thing about MMA there's always so much to talk about and always controversy of some sort from one side or the other I love it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

He took a big left hook shortly before the knock down. The initial shot caught him in the sweet spot and then caught him another 3 times on the ground. He didn't KO him but let's be honest here, the ref sees you taking shots on the ground w/o protecting yourself then he's going to stop the fight. And rightly so. The gif above shows his limp arm as well, and Herb would have had a perfect view of that.

I suppose his hand injury held him back a bit during bout, looking forward to his next fight when he's 100%, wish him all the best and looking forward to his world title in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Before this Gif starts, Conor hit Dustin with a Left that slightly rocked him followed by a head kick that Dustin blocked but was still a bit dazed. That's why he went down easy with the grazed left hook at the start of the gif. Arms limp, Dustin falling face down. Conor throws hammerfists, 1st hits side of the head, 2nd top of the head as Dustin turns his head towards Conor. Conor then switches to straight punches to the face. Conor lands 2 as Dustins arms are still down not defending. Good call by Herb. It looks bad because as soon as it's stopped, Dustin snaps out of it and rolls to his back as Herb calls it.

Same diving shyte comments about Brandao, 'oh he went down too easy' after Conor hitting him with a body shot that really hurt him and was finished just waiting for Conor to put him away.

Maybe Conor's right, the other feddaweights don't hit like he does. Hopefully next fight he capoeira kicks someones head CLEAN OFF and there will be no dispute but of course someone will find something to play it down 'aaaahhh his head came off a bit too easy'

MammothVagueFluke.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

He caught a blow behind the ear and he went down while he was taking clean shots to the head and face. Game over really. The referee was right to stop it; MMA and boxing etc are sports and the athletes sometimes need to be protected from themselves.

As for those saying the fight looked stage, it's clear they've little or no experience actually sparring or fighting. As someone who has received a few of those sort of cracks over the years I can say that they have a big effect, never mind when you're getting one from an elite striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I think id like Conor alot more if he [removed fighter bashing]. Just reminds me of every scumbag bully i saw in my school years. Hes undeniably talented but i dont find his whole schtick very enjoyable. He always sounds like hes reading from a prepared script and repeats the same stupid lines ad nauseam.
    I also find it a bit funny hes constantly dissing his own division saying theyre has-beens and journeymen. If thats the case then your career is apparently built on beating up tomato-can bums.
    Fair play for building up the profile of the sport tho. Heard a coupel of lads talkin about 'de foightin on de weekend' while waiting for their jumbo breakfast rolls in a shop yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I think id like Conor alot more if he[removed fighter bashing]. Just reminds me of every scumbag bully i saw in my school years. Hes undeniably talented but i dont find his whole schtick very enjoyable. He always sounds like hes reading from a prepared script and repeats the same stupid lines ad nauseam.
    I also find it a bit funny hes constantly dissing his own division saying theyre has-beens and journeymen. If thats the case then your career is apparently built on beating up tomato-can bums.
    Fair play for building up the profile of the sport tho. Heard a coupel of lads talkin about 'de foightin on de weekend' while waiting for their jumbo breakfast rolls in a shop yesterday.

I'll never understand why people take this so seriously lol. It's the entertainment business too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

You can see the left that hurt him in this gif

IgnorantHealthyEidolonhelvum.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I think id like Conor alot more if he [removed fighter bashing]. Just reminds me of every scumbag bully i saw in my school years. Hes undeniably talented but i dont find his whole schtick very enjoyable. He always sounds like hes reading from a prepared script and repeats the same stupid lines ad nauseam.

Bitter much?

The reason conor started boxing was because he was being targeted by the scumbags. Not bullied per say but growing up where he did you needed to be able to defend yourself.

His whole spiel is an act. Its designed to get people talking about him. Looks like it works.

I wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

nc19 wrote: »
    Bitter much?

The reason conor started boxing was because he was being targeted by the scumbags. Not bullied per say but growing up where he did you needed to be able to defend yourself.

His whole spiel is an act. Its designed to get people talking about him. Looks like it works.

I wish him all the best.

Why would i be bitter? Its not like he stole my place in the UFC..
    Like i said i can appreciate his skillset even tho i do think the UFC are protecting him somewhat in handpicking his opponents. Hes a good fighter and i look forward to seeing him properly tested. But i would like him more if his schtick didnt seem so forced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

"Properly tested" said everyone about each opponent before they were promptly dispatched.

Look, I'll grant you this, they are avoiding wrestlers for now to make exciting fights (like I said it's the entertainment business). But Holloway is no joke. Neither is Brandao, despite his brawly nature. And for sure Poirier is no joke. He lost twice - once to someone who fought for the title, and decisioned against Cub who is on a 6 fight win streak and on the cusp of fighting for the title.

People will look for any excuse to begrudge. Brandao took a fall, Poirier took a fall. Hand picked opponents. Illegal blows (which were LEGAL by the way, not even a grey area, look up the rules).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement