Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

Mellor wrote: »
    The most a fighter made for a single fight was allegedly 5million.

And unless you're Conor accountant you've no idea what sort of tax he's paid. It's not PAYE. And he'd be able to deduct certain expenses too.

Who alleges the 5 million?

http://mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fighter-salary-database/salary-main/ufc-career-fighter-earnings.html

This table hasn't been updated since UFC 178 - but it goes against what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

pedro1234 wrote: »
    Who alleges the 5 million?

http://mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fighter-salary-database/salary-main/ufc-career-fighter-earnings.html

This table hasn't been updated since UFC 178 - but it goes against what you're saying.

In fairness I wouldn't put much faith in an article like that. Fair enough those are disclosed earning but it's widely suspected that the behind the scenes bonuses paid out to the top tier UFC fighters are astronomical.

Edit: In fact you should probably re-read the intro to that article, where they clearly state that PPV money and undisclosed bonuses aren't included in the amounts quoted. Not to mention endorsements which most fighters keep very much private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

John_D80 wrote: »
    In fairness I wouldn't put much faith in an article like that. Fair enough those are disclosed earning but it's widely suspected that the behind the scenes bonuses paid out to the top tier UFC fighters are astronomical.

One of the biggest complaints about the UFC is that fighters aren't payed enough.

One of the biggest complaints about the UFC is that fighters aren't payed enough.

Yes and I would agree the fighters are not paid enough. Except for a select few who are bringing in PPV sales and putting arses on seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And plenty of fighters have detailed they were paid much more. Sean McCorkle confirmed he was paid something like 175% of what he was actually owed. The lawsuit with Couture showed he was paid over a million purely for signing it plus guaranteed a PPV percentage. Theres much more going on then then the disclosed purses.

• Advertisement

Also I'd imagine that a lot of undisclosed bonuses could be hidden from the taxman so I'm sure the fighters don't mind if people think they are earning a lot less than they are.

McGregor for instance made 200K in disclosed earnings from 178 but you can be guaranteed he got a very hefty bonus for all the PPV sales he brought in. He was the main draw on that card and the UFC know it and they will reward him for it. And you can be certain we will never know how hefty that reward was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Usually by fans or dropped fighters with a grudge but not many. If the ufc didn't come along there might have been no money for anyone! Also i dont think there are many people in the world that think they get paid enough for their job.

I would say a lot of fighters are seeing conor and kicking themselves that they haven't done half the job promoting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mewaldo

adamski8 wrote: »
    Usually by fans or dropped fighters with a grudge but not many. If the ufc didn't come along there might have been no money for anyone! Also i dont think there are many people in the world that think they get paid enough for their job.

I would say a lot of fighters are seeing conor and kicking themselves that they haven't done half the job promoting themselves.

i agree, hes doing a great job keeping his name in the media, he's a great fighter but a better business man.

Im sure he will retire from it a wealthy man

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gumbi wrote: »
    The sad thing is they were ALL legal strikes. Back of the head strikes are NOT explicitly illegal. only when the back of the head is targeted deliberately is it deemed illegal.

And if someone is falling down and not down and not defending themselves then they are legal.

It's not even a grey area.

Ya and the worse thing is there were plenty of pro's saying it. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

John_D80 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. There's been a few vids like this previously but none I have seen, were as well presented as this.

I think more than anything it highlights the fact that he is putting guys like Poirier away as easily as he managed the likes of Buchinger, who is the genuine article in his own right but not really at UFC level. At the time he fought them, Buchinger and Hill were the greatest challenges he had faced up to then.

This to me is the real indicator of how much he has grown as a fighter.

No problem, Robin does a great job at breaking down the fighters.

Conors development is undeniable but that video really highlights his improvement. I expected him to beat Poirier but a first round KO was very impressive. For the haters, I would have preferred a cleaner KO. When Couture took a similar shot from Lesnar (as a Couture fan) I was coming out with the Poirier excuses. However, when the dust settles, it's a legit KO, plain and simple.

I hope Dustin came come back from this, he's seems a good guy to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

Dustin got lucky it ended so quick because it saved him a decent few minutes of getting counter punched and kicked before getting knocked out,McGregor was toying with him as he said he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    Dustin got lucky it ended so quick because it saved him a decent few minutes of getting counter punched and kicked before getting knocked out,McGregor was toying with him as he said he would.

McGregors performance was outstanding but this "toying with him/Dustin got lucky it ended so fast" is pure rubbish. They traded some decent shots on each other early on and then McGregor cracked him and put him away ruthlessly. Why the need to come out with the above quote i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

What annoys me is when you click most papers online and click sport they have a boxing part but no MMA UFC page.But I have noticed Conor seems to be getting into the papers and we are seeing more of the sport so coverage has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What annoys me is when you click most papers online and click sport they have a boxing part but no MMA UFC page.But I have noticed Conor seems to be getting into the papers and we are seeing more of the sport so coverage has improved.

I really wouldn't bother with reading an article about MMA in a mainstream paper, they know nothing and 99 times out of 100 that article will be misimformed and just plain wrong.

For all MMA news go to sites like www.mmajunkie.com , written by people who actually know what they're talking about, and who care about the sport

Davei141 wrote: »
    McGregors performance was outstanding but this "toying with him/Dustin got lucky it ended so fast" is pure rubbish. They traded some decent shots on each other early on and then McGregor cracked him and put him away ruthlessly. Why the need to come out with the above quote i don't know.

Pure rubbish? explain to me how my opinion of him playing with him is pure rubbish? so you thought dustin was putting up a fight do you? he was getting backed up from spinning back kicks and big left hands in the space of 2 minutes I'd safely say he was in for a pasting if it went on any longer.

Had a good conversation with a workmate today and got us both thinking bout something. So here's a hypothetical situation for you. And before anyone gets all technical an says it wont happen, spare me, this is just for fun.

Conor, for whatever reason, decides he wants a lightweight match up for his next contest. Your are the matchmaker. Who do you choose for him to face from the current UFC lightweight roster and why? Try not to pick anyone from the top 3. Remember this is his first fight in the division. Here's my picks:

1: Nate Diaz - Slick yet awkward stand-up combined with a very technical ground game would make for a great fight and I think Conor has the jujitsu skills to make this a very interesting contest if it goes to ground. Nate would have the edge on the ground for sure but I'd like to see how Conor managed him and avoided getting taken down.

2: Eddie Alvarez - You just know Alvarez would fancy his chances on the feet against Conor so i reckon we'd see a really technical stand up battle if these two met. For about two minutes anyway.

3: Donald Cerrone: No one takes a punch like Cowboy. Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Regards taxes, McGregor will not pay normal band of taxes on his best 10 years as a sportsman (may be 8 years). It's a tax exemption designed to keep the best athletes in the country- without it all the rugby players would in France now. It's across all sports-golf etc. I think it's also applicable to artist's.

edit. key sportsmen who end their playing careers in Ireland can claim back 40 per cent of the tax they paid over a 10-year period.

With a good accountant he could hide a huge chunk of the remaining income as expenses--flights, suits, training expenses, sparring partners, marketing, coaching team.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pure rubbish? explain to me how my opinion of him playing with him is pure rubbish? so you thought dustin was putting up a fight do you? he was getting backed up from spinning back kicks and big left hands in the space of 2 minutes I'd safely say he was in for a pasting if it went on any longer.
    Because Conor went for the KO. His intent was to finish as soon as he could. He put him down and pounced. These are the actions of somebody looking to finish, not somebody playing with their opponent.

Because Conor went for the KO. His intent was to finish as soon as he could. He put him down and pounced. These are the actions of somebody looking to finish, not somebody playing with their opponent.

yeah but he said...

It was hardly a haymaker ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

surely Dana's claim that he is bigger, in terms of hype and $$$, than Lesnar and GSP is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It was hardly a haymaker ffs.

If it had landed 4 inches closer to the front of Dustins head he would have been out cold, of that i have no doubt, It did the job though, are you really arguing now about if a punch was a haymaker or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

D.Q wrote: »
    surely Dana's claim that he is bigger, in terms of hype and $$$, than Lesnar and GSP is outrageous.

I thought he only claimed it as im conor had a whole nation behind him.
    But any dont take everything dana says to heart.

I would imagine so and you could add a few more names to the above list, however, the fact that he is mentioned in those terms is extraordinary.

scudzilla wrote: »
    If it had landed 4 inches closer to the front of Dustins head he would have been out cold, of that i have no doubt, It did the job though, are you really arguing now about if a punch was a haymaker or not?

Im not even debating it anymore,its my opinion you have yours but in mine he was toying with him even talking to him to wind him up,that is fact.

Im not even debating it anymore,its my opinion you have yours but in mine he was toying with him even talking to him to wind him up,that is fact.
    We all seen he was talking to him. Nobody disputed that. He does it a lot.

But I've no idea how you can say he wasn't trying to finish. That's bizarre. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but without a reason to back it up, it's not worth much.

Outragous. But maybe it's not as outrageous as it sounds. HW title fights do the best PPV numbers even before you add the Brock Factor. You can't compare them.
    UFC 178 will do good numbers, but not Brock numbers. On the other hand, this was a MM card, and will blow his previous best selling PPV numbers away.

Had Jones/Cormier stayed on the card, it would have been close to Brock numbers" imo.

Comparing to brock isnt really fair though how many pro wrestling fans was it buying the ppv's to see him only and most probably dont watch anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Skip ahead to the after party, seems like he makes a ton of time for the people who support him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Talking to people mid fight is a tactic, it has nothing to do with toying with people (in 90% of cases anyway), it is to throw them off their game and make them make a mistake/be hesitant. The haymaker comment is just flat out bizarre i don't even know what that is supposed to mean? Good luck with your opinions on future McGregor fights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement