Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Just an update on what fights are coming up in the division. Conor will have to take a step down and fight someone like lentz or wait a while for his next fight.

(C)Aldo vs (1)Mendes October 25
    (3)Frankie Edgar vs (2)Cub Swanson November 22
    (4) Lamas vs (7)Bermudes November 15
    (6) Chan Sung Jung shoulder injury announced late august
    (8) Nik Lentz calling Conor out hasn't fought since may
    (10) Jeremy Stephens unbooked last fight 28 june

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

The Lentz fight could happen and we'd learn a lot more about Conor's wresting from it. If he has to fight again before a title shot I'd prefer he'd fight someone higher ranked though, maybe the Bermudez/Lamas winner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

there is zero possibility of Mcgregor lads cop on nobody will buy that ppv joke of a fight,they wont match with him bermudez either because why eliminate one of 2 win streaks and potential contenders,he will be fighting one of the the top 4 next no doubt about it.

there is zero possibility of Mcgregor lentz lads cop on nobody will buy that ppv joke of a fight,they wont match with him bermudez either because why eliminate one of 2 win streaks and potential contenders,he will be fighting one of the the top 4 next no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I posted this in the UFC 178 fight thread but said i stick it in here too:

I have a pre-fight video I want people to check out. It's called

"Pre-Fight Interview with Conor McGregor ahead of UFC 178"

by Severeart

I looked the sequence a few times over. The section I'm talking about starts at 3:27. The guy asks a questions and I'm talking about the answer given by Conor immediately after.

Analyze the body language and his answer to the question. I'm pretty sure i have watched every single pre fight interview he had at least 2 times each in the lead up to UFC 178 but this was the most interesting moment....a very revealing moment. At least i thought anyway. I'm not going to say what meaning I interpreted from it but would like to hear what others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I posted this in the UFC 178 fight thread but said i stick it in here too:

I have a pre-fight video I want people to check out. It's called

"Pre-Fight Interview with Conor McGregor ahead of UFC 178"

by Severeart

I looked the sequence a few times over. The section I'm talking about starts at 3:27. The guy asks a questions and I'm talking about the answer given by Conor immediately after.

Analyze the body language and his answer to the question. I'm pretty sure i have watched every single pre fight interview he had at least 2 times each in the lead up to UFC 178 but this was the most interesting moment....a very revealing moment. At least i thought anyway. I'm not going to say what meaning I interpreted from it but would like to hear what others think.

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What are you on about?

I think they implying that McGregor is fighting the Winner of Aldo v Edgar.
    I'm not convinced.

I think the winner of Frankie v Cub gets the next title shot. The loser of that fights Conor, and the winner if their match up gets the 3rd shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    there is zero possibility of Mcgregor lentz lads cop on nobody will buy that ppv joke of a fight,they wont match with him bermudez either because why eliminate one of 2 win streaks and potential contenders,he will be fighting one of the the top 4 next no doubt about it.

It's all well and good saying he will get a top 4 opponent next but they are all matched up elsewhere right now.

I would think that Bermudez is one of the MOST likely opponents for McGregors next time out. In the whole scrum surrounding Aldo/Cub/Frankie/Mendes/McGregor everyone seems to be forgetting that Bermudez (#7) is fighting Lamas (#4) in a few weeks!!!!

If Bermudez gets past Lamas in November then him and Conor would probably find themselves side by side in the rankings, with Bermudez most likely taking the #4 spot ahead of Conor in #5. I could easily see McGregor & Bermudez happening around February.

So many variables to consider so I would not dismiss anyone as a potential opponent. Including Lentz.

John_D80 wrote: »
    It's all well and good saying he will get a top 4 opponent next but they are all matched up elsewhere right now.

I would think that Bermudez is one of the MOST likely opponents for McGregors next time out. In the whole scrum surrounding Aldo/Cub/Frankie/Mendes/McGregor everyone seems to be forgetting that Bermudez (#7) is fighting Lamas (#4) in a few weeks!!!!

If Bermudez gets past Lamas in November then him and Conor would probably find themselves side by side in the rankings, with Bermudez most likely taking the #4 spot ahead of Conor in #5. I could easily see McGregor & Bermudez happening around February.

So many variables to consider so I would not dismiss anyone as a potential opponent. Including Lentz.

Bermudez is a potential title contender why pair two contenders and eliminate one of them when theres loads of matches for that top 8 that are interesting,lamas will beat bermudez aswell I reckon so wont be an issue conor will fight one of the top 4 next hes gotten to be too big a draw not to.

• Advertisement

Bermudez is a potential title contender why pair two contenders and eliminate one of them when theres loads of matches for that top 8 that are interesting,lamas will beat bermudez aswell I reckon so wont be an issue conor will fight one of the top 4 next hes gotten to be too big a draw not to.

Dude you're totally contradicting yourself here. You say they should not pair two contenders and eliminate one, but you want him to fight a top 4 opponent?? Everyone in the top 5 plus Bermudez is in the mix at the moment so you can't make any match ups there without eliminating contenders. Choosing a top contender is all about eliminating other contenders. Look at Cub/Frankie. Hellooooo???

And IF Bermudez beats Lamas, he will be top 4. It's all well and good wanting Conor to fight higher ranked guys but when you get into contention, you have to consider guys below you in the rankings as well as above. Poirier did it last night, Lamas is doing it in a few weeks. Admittedly Lamas probably won't see another shot for a while and almost certainly not until there is a new champ but you know what I mean.

Edit: Just re-reading this post. Don't want it sound like I was saying lamas won't get another shot at Aldo. What I was getting at was there will probably be a new champ by the time he gets another shot.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Dude you're totally contradicting yourself here. You say they should not pair two contenders and eliminate one, but you want him to fight a top 4 opponent?? Everyone in the top 5 plus Bermudez is in the mix at the moment so you can't make any match ups there without eliminating contenders. Choosing a top contender is all about eliminating other contenders. Look at Cub/Frankie. Hellooooo???

And IF Bermudez beats Lamas, he will be top 4. It's all well and good wanting Conor to fight higher ranked guys but when you get into contention, you have to consider guys below you in the rankings as well as above. Poirier did it last night, Lamas is doing it in a few weeks. Admittedly Lamas probably won't see another shot for a while and almost certainly not until there is a new champ but you know what I mean.

Edit: Just re-reading this post. Don't want it sound like I was saying lamas won't get another shot at Aldo. What I was getting at was there will probably be a new champ by the time he gets another shot.

You have two similar up and comers in the division why match them together and when you could pair them with the top guys in the division to see if they're up to scratch? I'd fancy mcgregor to knock bermudez out and that would be him ruined,its all pie in the sky at the minute with the injurys lately in the main events the next few months could be fascinating dont think its all blank and white but me personally would not like to see mcgregor fight bermudez or lentz he would beat them both with ease denis was impressive last time against a journeyman before that look at who he fought a nobody in jimmy hettes.

You have two similar up and comers in the division why match them together and when you could pair them with the top guys in the division to see if they're up to scratch?.

Realistically though, who do you pair them with, if not each other?? Cub takes on Frankie for the number one contender spot and Bermudez takes on Lamas in November. Who could you see Conor fighting?? You've already said he should get someone in the top 4. Who then??

It would actually be in Conor's favour if Lamas beats Bermudez as it would mean Conor would have no competition for no. 1 contender spot in my eyes after the winner of Aldo/Mendes fights the winner of Frankie/Cub. I would love to see Conor get a title shot in his next fight but I don't think it will happen as it would mean he will be inactive for far too long before he fights again and nobody wants that, least of all Conor himself.

If Bermudez wins though then you could have a very tasty title eliminator between him and conor to fight whoever holds the belt then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I'll conor is waiting for someone to get injured he wont wait till Feb for his next week. He needs one November December

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i don't think any decision will be made by the ufc regarding conor untill after their 1 fights 2 and their 3 fights 4 . if mendes beats aldo normallly going on other title fights , the champion gets a rematch and they will wait to to see if swanson blows edgar away or vice versa or of course injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

Looking at the Featherweight Division solely from a business point of view (Dana, Lorenzo and Franky's perspective)......

The best thing to do would be to give Conor a title fight on March 13th 2015.

That is St. Patrick's weekend and I feel a title fight on that date would rival the PPV sales of a Cinco de Mayo boxing event.

Do it in Vegas or if you really want to sell the Irish theme, then do it in Boston on Patrick's weekend. That March date would also allow for a 4 month build to the fight and hence lead to more excitement and a lot more PPV sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'm still not a fan. I don't have to be. But I will admit he's certainly better than I have previously given him credit for.

evil_seed wrote: »
    I'm still not a fan. I don't have to be. But I will admit he's certainly better than I have previously given him credit for.
    Of course you do to have to be.
    But out of curiosity, is it that you still do to think he as that good yet? Or you just don't like him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

couple opinions on who should be next

Bleacher Report saying

'He Should Get the Next Title Shot'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2213189-conor-mcgregor-the-real-deal-and-he-should-get-the-next-title-shot

mmafighting.com saying Edgar Swanson winner

'McGregor challenging for the championship would unquestionably be the biggest-drawing featherweight fight the UFC can make. But drawing it out, teasing it, making a big deal out of a fight against the likes of Edgar or Swanson, and then going into a title fight from there if he wins, makes an eventual title fight magnitudes larger.'

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/28/6857879/ufc-178-aftermath-conor-mcgregor-backs-up-the-smack-talk

Sherdog Matches to make after UFC 178

'Conor McGregor vs. Dennis Bermudez-Ricardo Lamas winner: The critics’ groans grow quieter and quieter with each outing. McGregor passed his most important test to date, as he waylaid the highly regarded Dustin Poirier in a first-round technical knockout. The 26-year-old Irishman felled Poirier with a straight left and put him away with a volley of follow-up punches. Brimming with talent, charisma and confidence, McGregor has won all four of his fights since touching down in the UFC in April 2013, finishing three of them. Bermudez and Lamas will lock horns at UFC 180 on Nov. 15 in Mexico.'

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Matches-to-Make-After-UFC-178-74739

Can we do a poll to see how many people here think Conor will actually face Aldo next year and whether he will win?

I reckon he will and he'll win.

Apart from his skill Conor is more powerful, he's 2 inches taller and has 3 inches of reach on Aldo and he's 2 years younger but more importantly Conor has only been in 23 MMA rounds in his career whereas Aldo has been in 60 rounds. Conor's fight age is so much younger.... Aldo is fighting pro rules since 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Apart from his skill Conor is more powerful, he's 2 inches taller and has 3 inches of reach on Aldo and he's 2 years younger but more importantly Conor has only been in 23 MMA rounds in his career whereas Aldo has been in 60 rounds. Conor's fight age is so much younger.... Aldo is fighting pro rules since 2004.

I was thinking the exact same thing today. We're beginning to see how much this counts in MMA. As Conor or someone said at 178, chins don't really heal. Look at the mess that is Minotauro now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

yeah and its down to your style as well.... Conor is a finisher he has no intention on being in there for long and his stand up style is not a war-ing style like Diego etc or a walk forward MT style like Cowboy where you get hit a lot, he fences and angles like a mongoose v a cobra always looking for that one single strike which leads to the TKO whereas Aldo has been in 25 rounds in his 6 UFC fights over the last 3.5 years. Aldo will never be able to strategise and control Conor for round after round it wont happen Conor will hunt that opening and be too dynamic for Aldo to master him. I genuinely think Conor has his number as much as I have endless respect for what Aldo has done... over so many years from such a young age he is top 5 p4p ever but is Conor not something just different than the lot of them? too fast, too big, too dynamic too sharp. Aldo would be fav now sure but if Conor finishes Cub or Frankie in the first round opinions will change verrrry fast ...

He can KO the lot of them it's not far fetched and he is good enough to face Aldo now, feck the queue.

I was thinking the exact same thing today. We're beginning to see how much this counts in MMA. As Conor or someone said at 178, chins don't really heal. Look at the mess that is Minotauro now.

Or the 'Reem. That lad couldn't take a slap off my granny at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

This is true. I will say this though, Aldo probably has the most well rounded striking in the entire division... for 3 rounds anyways :P He is very flat footed though, and fights similar to a traditional Nak Muay stance. Conor could run rings around this as Aldo inevitably slows.

I really want to see him against a wrestler though to shut the others up.

yeah and its down to your style as well.... Conor is a finisher he has no intention on being in there for long and his stand up style is not a war-ing style like Diego etc or a walk forward MT style like Cowboy where you get hit a lot, he fences and angles like a mongoose v a cobra always looking for that one single strike which leads to the TKO whereas Aldo has been in 25 rounds in his 6 UFC fights over the last 3.5 years. Aldo will never be able to strategise and control Conor for round after round it wont happen Conor will hunt that opening and be too dynamic for Aldo to master him. I genuinely think Conor has his number as much as I have endless respect for what Aldo has done... over so many years from such a young age he is top 5 p4p ever but is Conor not something just different than the lot of them? too fast, too big, too dynamic too sharp. Aldo would be fav now sure but if Conor finishes Cub or Frankie in the first round opinions will change verrrry fast ...

He can KO the lot of them it's not far fetched and he is good enough to face Aldo now, feck the queue.

I agree with you to an extent, he has the ability to knock anyone at FW out, and most people at LW as well. (As an aside, Conor has a bigger reach than Cerrone, who is 6' 1"!!)

I'd like to know what people think he'd do about those leg kicks though. One way might be to pressure Aldo with punches so he can't stay on the outside and launch those bombs, but that's not Conor's style. Maybe he could use his own kicks to do it, as he has longer legs than Aldo, so may be able to stay outside his range. I have no background in MMA so I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Well done Conor McGregor. All the doubters kept in their box for a while longer now:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

If Cub beats Edgar he is up next without having to fight Conor he was already told he was #1 contender until the Aldo/Mendes 2 bout first fell apart so to be denied twice wouldn't be right.

If Edgar wins however he'll need at least another win to be considered so that could mean Conor alright.

For all candidates a clear victory for Aldo is prob the best outcome in Brazil but his persistent injuries still add the doubt. There has been no other FW champ yet since its inception so imagine the insta-rematch button would be hit should Mendes pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

I agree with you to an extent, he has the ability to knock anyone at FW out, and most people at LW as well. (As an aside, Conor has a bigger reach than Cerrone, who is 6' 1"!!)

I'd like to know what people think he'd do about those leg kicks though. One way might be to pressure Aldo with punches so he can't stay on the outside and launch those bombs, but that's not Conor's style. Maybe he could use his own kicks to do it, as he has longer legs than Aldo, so may be able to stay outside his range. I have no background in MMA so I don't know.

Aldo fought Florian who's taller and has a longer reach than Conor.

Or the 'Reem. That lad couldn't take a slap off my granny at this stage.

Not to take this off topic but I dont think its a huge chin issue with overeem,as you seen with roy nelson if any heavy weight lands a bomb on you its good night irene.

Conor is now the 145 lineal champ. :eek:
    http://www.linealmma.com/featherweight

• Advertisement

Ive a feeling one of his kicks is going to land on the sweet spot very seen as he says himself that hook kick will take someones head of and I well believe it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement