Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

I listened to part of today's show earlier, and have to say I found it unlistenable to.

For me, I find the style of the presenter irritating, the content superficial, and seeming to lack any intelligence or insight into the topics under discussion.

Unlike some in these threads who seem to get some sort of pleasure about listening to various radio shows, then rushing here to express their horror about how dreadful it is before rushing back to listen some more, apparently almost on a daily basis, it will be a long time before I listen to this program again.

It may well be the presenter sharpens up and the show becomes enjoyable, and I hope so. I miss Gerry Ryan who brought an element of humour, joy and the constant possibility of danger and that he was going to shock, to the slot, and the current presenter seems to be just another bland "like me I'm trying ever so hard to be lovely and jolly to everyone" presenter, with which Irish radio, unfortunately, abounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Fair play to Tubridy for reading out the headlines.. alas, he did not really give a decent response... Below is the audio.

He said they he has a load of ideas for the show when he returns from yet another two week holiday.. You really would wonder why RTE dont just keep Fanning there.. ?? Sort of a no-brainer from an economic point of view..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Fair play to Tubridy for reading out the headlines.. alas, he did not really give a decent response... Below is the audio.

"Give us a chance, Lots of new ideas", then straight into a West Wing segway. :mad:

This new Producer could improve the show hugely by banning any mention of West Wing, Womens Shoes. JFK, Twitter, Mad Men etc

That would be a good start.

PS I liked the sound effects, JA, rather good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

idiots stay in radio jobs..

when good people do nothing.

let us rise up p pp pp pppp pp pp p peOple.

and ....COMPLAIN TO JOE DUFFY.

come on..we can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

I can't stand this idiotic, overpaid, un-entertaining twerp! He truly is appalling. Seriously, how is he still on the payroll :confused:. So glad to hear Dave is back. I'm also worried about that other snooze fest Evelyn O'Rourke. I hope she ain't coming back anytime soon. I've just learned she is married John McMahon, Head of 2fm. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'm also worried about that other snooze fest Evelyn O'Rourke. I hope she ain't coming back anytime soon. I've just learned she is married John McMahon, Head of 2fm. :cool:

What a brilliant career move! ;)

macroboy wrote: »
    idiots stay in radio jobs..

when good people do nothing.

let us rise up p pp pp pppp pp pp p peOple.

and ....COMPLAIN TO JOE DUFFY.

come on..we can do it.

It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. Duffy could get 1000 calls about it in the morning and he still wouldn't talk about it on his show. Just like he never talked about Gerry Ryan after the inquest into his death showed that he died from cocaine abuse.

Here's a great example: Today, some clown with a bee in his bonnet over weeds in the Botanic Gardens was given about 10 minutes airtime when nobody else could give a flying fig about it. The biggest domestic news story of the day was Gay Byrne's comments last night about the EU (which I agree with, by the way). Surely at least one person must have phoned or emailed the Liveline office this morning to discuss this, yet there was no mention of it on the programme today?

And then Joe Duffy has the gall to turn around and say that the Liveline schedule is determined by the listeners themselves :rolleyes:

He said they he has a load of ideas for the show when he returns from yet another two week holiday.. You really would wonder why RTE dont just keep Fanning there.. ?? Sort of a no-brainer from an economic point of view..

As an apparently loyal member of Tubridy's audience, would you not miss him not being there, so you can continue to tell us how dreadful he is, and selflessy keep listening to him wherever he is broadcasting around the world? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'd certainly miss jon's output of what some of the wasters in montrose are fobbing us off with this time around...he is truly a martyr to the cause. I can't stand to listen to Tubs for longer than it takes to flick the channel, but I do enjoy reading about how bad he is, a conclussion I came to many moons ago during his breakfast show output, which I was an unwilling audience to...

Jon does seem to get particular pleasure out of listening to tubridy, and then rushing here to tell everyone how dreadful turbidy is. Its a dichotmy alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

easychair wrote: »
    As an apparently loyal member of Tubridy's audience, would you not miss him not being there, so you can continue to tell us how dreadful he is, and selflessy keep listening to him wherever he is broadcasting around the world? :-)
    If he was off the air, i would probably stalk him and post here how he fails at other more domestic stuff...post videos of him mowing his lawn etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I wouldnt be a fan of Tubridy bit I think his tweet about the riots was harmless and shouldnt have warranted that reaction (if that is the case).

Very surprised that he has completely stopped tweeting as he seemed to push it more than any other Irish broadcaster.

dixiefly wrote: »
    I wouldnt be a fan of Tubridy bit I think his tweet about the riots was harmless and shouldnt have warranted that reaction (if that is the case).

Very surprised that he has completely stopped tweeting as he seemed to push it more than any other Irish broadcaster.

Mark Little was on Moncrieff yesterday and came up with the same misquotation (The revolution is being televised). If people are going to try to be clever, then they should make sure they have the right quote to begin with.

Little and Tubbers are two peas in a pod - both wannabe Americans obessesed with JFK, the Democrats etc. although Little is even more annoying because he speaks with an American twang :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The fact that that tweet and him quiting twitter is connected is only guesswork on the part of The Daily Mail. Tuburidy made the announcement, so an intrepid Mail reporter searched back through Tub's tweets looking for an angle and thats what they came up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I didn't follow tubs (or anyone for that matter) on twitter and only heard about this after the fact.
    Have to say I felt somewhat sorry for him, since that was exactly the quote that ran through my head on monday night whilst watching the riot coverage (ie the opposite of "the revolution will not be televised, the revolution will be live")...was it really his reason for quitting the tweeting, or merely the straw that broke the camels back?

Caught a few minutes of Dave Fanning this morning. Infinitely better presenter. I enjoyed his segment on movie quotes...I could only imagine the farce if DLB was handling it instead!

Why is fanning better?

because he doesn't "try" he just "does".

I think the producers of the show need to stop spouting sh*te everytime they lose listeners and MAKE THAT CHANGE NOW!

Same again this morning. Far superior show.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

Same again this morning. Far superior show.

Thanks to Dave, I'm enjoying my morning walks again. His interview with Nicky Byrne yesterday was excellent!

Thanks to Dave, I'm enjoying my morning walks again. His interview with Nicky Byrne yesterday was excellent!
    Seriously!! I have actually tuned into dave now as my number 1 show! How RTE can't see the difference in calibre is beyond me! I think i know what it is too.....LIFE EXPERIENCE!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Seriously!! I have actually tuned into dave now as my number 1 show! How RTE can't see the difference in calibre is beyond me! I think i know what it is too.....LIFE EXPERIENCE!
    This is one of those occasions where the fill in is far superior than the main host.
    Tubridy should be nervous. I'm still baffled how he even lasted a year on this show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

miketv wrote: »
    This is one of those occasions where the fill in is far superior than the main host.
    Tubridy should be nervous. I'm still baffled how he even lasted a year on this show.

Haha

Tubridy is not nervous - sure he is the golden boy, he knows it, what has he to worry about really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Dave chatting about LA today was great and simply flowed with the guests.
    I didn't raise my eyes to heaven once.

mikom wrote: »
    Dave chatting about LA today was great and simply flowed with the guests.
    I didn't raise my eyes to heaven once.

Dave Fanning has proved to be the solution to the problem that RTE is hiding from. Failure to act now, and provide Tubridy with work more suitable to his er...talents and move Dave in fulltime is nothing short of irresponsible. IT'S OBVIOUS RTE, ACT NOW AND SAVE YOURSELVES!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dave Fanning has proved to be the solution to the problem that RTE is hiding from.

To be fair to Tubridy, he did say the show was "going to be brilliant".. :)

Dave Fanning has proved to be the solution to the problem that RTE is hiding from.

Is he though? Fanning's own show, afaik, has only around 20,000 listeners. His move to RTE Radio 1 didn't work out because enough people didn't tune in. He's certainly better suited than Tubridy is to this type of show, but I don't think he is the solution to 2fm's problems.

I think people would get tired of Fanning fairly quickly. Take away the opportunity to talk about movies and music and there's not much else to him. I used to listen to Fanning's show on 2FM and then when it was switched to Radio 1 and I lost count of the number of times he'd have a segment about "best ever song intros", "best ever gangster films" etc. In the end I stopped listening because he was rehashing the same topics time and time again. He's okay for a couple of weeks to fill in, but he's a bit of a one trick pony.

Did anybody hear Tubbers on his BBC show yesterday morning talking about the dog his family had when he was growing up? Most people call their dogs something simple like Shep or Spot or Rex. The Tubridys called their dog Ruskin. Talk about pretentiousness! :rolleyes: :D

I think people would get tired of Fanning fairly quickly. Take away the opportunity to talk about movies and music and there's not much else to him. I used to listen to Fanning's show on 2FM and then when it was switched to Radio 1 and I lost count of the number of times he'd have a segment about "best ever song intros", "best ever gangster films" etc. In the end I stopped listening because he was rehashing the same topics time and time again. He's okay for a couple of weeks to fill in, but he's a bit of a one trick pony.

Did anybody hear Tubbers on his BBC show yesterday morning talking about the dog his family had when he was growing up? Most people call their dogs something simple like Shep or Spot or Rex. The Tubridys called their dog Ruskin. Talk about pretentiousness! :rolleyes: :D
    i'll take movies and music over tubs ****e any day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I read in one of the weekend red tops that he will try to get the listeners back or he will quit

In any other job he would be fired

I read in one of the weekend red tops that he will try to get the listeners back or he will quit

In any other job he would be fired

Front page headline of today's Irish Daily Mail...

"Tubridy: I'll quit if ratings dip again."

It's not exactly what he said though. The actual quote...

"Of course, there's a point where I would have to seriously consider giving up the 2fm show. If the figures continued to drop, I would seriously consider everything. But I don't think it's going to be an issue that I'll have to go into the bosses and say I've dragged the show down too much. My philosophy is that we are going to come out and make it better."

He went to say things like .."grab it by the scruff of the neck"..."shake it up"

I have a feeling that Tubridy Show is about to get a whole lot more desperate/crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Curious that he said this today bearing in mind the ratings came out 7-10 days back. He and his limited bag of tricks is the problem so its hard to see how the slot can be turned around, but that applies to the whole station.

Advertisement