Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSX Lion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

dubmick wrote: »
    so how so you change it back?

Sys Prefs-> Mouse/ Trackpad -> Scroll direction -> deselect 'Natural'.

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭finno

Anyone get the 3 finger double tap thing to work? Does it only work in certain apps?

Can't get the 2 finger double tap smart zoom to work either.

Same here i can't get it to work either

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Updated from snow leopard to Lion last night. Disaster. A lot of my software isn't running properly. Pro Tools won't start, Team Fortress 2 won't start, iWeb has forgotten all my preferences/ftp logins, mail has lost all accounts, Compressor crashed, and Toast crashes as well. The laptop is pretty new, only one user, and I repaired disk permissions yesterday. I'm now in the proccess of installing snow leopard again. Thank god for time machine is all I can say. I think I'll wait for 10.7.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

funkyflea wrote: »
    Had a particularly unpleasant experience this morning with OSX Lion. Downloaded an MP3, clicked 'show in finder' then clicked play (within the folder) and listened to about half of the song - all grand. Then I dragged and dropped it into iTunes. Stopped playing the file in the folder and went to play it in iTunes, it played for a few seconds, the iMac then hung, and an ear piercingly loud sound that I can only describe as similar to an alarm was blasting out of the speakers. derrrrrr.....derrrrrr.....derrrrrr... had to emergency shut down.

This happened with snow leopard as well when I visited a particularly flash heavy site though it was strange it happened with iTunes.

Another thing, searching for files in finder always seems to hang my system for about 10 seconds. Also 3 finger double tap hasn't worked for me.

Sounds like bad hardware to me. Try using a memory checking program such as memtest to check the ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

funkyflea wrote: »
    Another thing, searching for files in finder always seems to hang my system for about 10 seconds.

Are you searching using spotlight? I had this problem with an older machine. You might need to reset the cache and re-index. This website has the instructions. Also a tip that I was given is to uncheck certain file types from Spotlight in the Spotlight preference pane. For example - I use itunes for music so I don't need spotlight to index 60GB of music.

• Advertisement

You'll need to reformat it as GUID. I thought Disk Utility did this automatically since SL, but if not go into the partitions tab and do it from there. Intel macs need GUID to boot so I don't know how you were booting using APM.

I thought only PowerPC Macs could boot with Apple Partition Map. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Karsini wrote: »
    You'll need to reformat it as GUID. I thought Disk Utility did this automatically since SL, but if not go into the partitions tab and do it from there. Intel macs need GUID to boot so I don't know how you were booting using APM.

I thought only PowerPC Macs could boot with Apple Partition Map. :confused:
    I thought so too, but in fact it seems that OS X can boot from APM on an Intel Mac, it just won't install on APM. Silvine must have restored from a TM backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

My friend said Apple have upgraded everything on his Mac so now nothing works on his current OS.

Basically forcing him to upgrade to Lion, any truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

flyswatter wrote: »
    any truth in this?

No.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I thought so too, but in fact it seems that OS X can boot from APM on an Intel Mac, it just won't install on APM. Silvine must have restored from a TM backup.

That's what I did alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Updated my MBP this evening with no problems to report, nice and easy update and I'm enjoying Lion so far. Going to use it for a few days before updating the iMac in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭talla

Another annoying bug. I had the IR receiver disabled on my iMac prior to upgrading to lion, but upgrade has re-enabled it. I'm trying to watch a movie on my apple tv tonight and its driving me crazy that my iMac keeps picking up the commands from the remote launching iTunes etc.

If I go to Security & Privacy settings on the iMac theres no option to disable the IR receiver however when I check the same settings on my macbook pro / air, the option is still present to disable the IR receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

grizzly wrote: »
    I noticed that the dock wouldn't appear until I swipped over it a couple of times while in full screen Chrome. I imagine it'll be a fix in .1.

Figured this out – in full screen you have to pull the mouse pointer down an extra "imaginary" couple of inches to get the dock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Updated my MBP this evening with no problems to report, nice and easy update and I'm enjoying Lion so far. Going to use it for a few days before updating the iMac in the office.

Before updating a work machine I'd go into the application info panel (under system info) and see what Power PC apps it'll break. Filemaker which we use for invoicing it'll 10.7 compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Anyone using multiple desktops and Xcode4 having issues?

I'm developing an app which require compiling in Xcode 4 and then running on the iPhone simulator. At one point I was unable to copy classes into my classes Group for an unknown error. The application didn't even know what it was.

Then sometimes when I compile and run I get the loading rainbow and Xcode will just hang for 30 seconds or so and then continue with compiling the program...

Anybody else? Any fixes?
    I'm wondering is it because I've got 3 different desktops with programs on and then a few full screen applications too...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Is anyone else having problems with iTunes in full screen mode? It doesn't fill the whole screen for me, leaving a gap along the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Yeah, I get that sometimes after I've woken my computer from sleep. I just toggle in and out of fullscreen. Files a bug report with Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

So by the looks of this thread, I will at least wait until the first update to Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

So by the looks of this thread, I will at least wait until the first update to Lion.

Yeah, while there's much that is nice about the update, the occasional instability is extremely annoying after the rock solidness of Snow Leopard.

There are always teething problems, and the people who have them tend to be more vocal about it.

I've been caning Lion on two machines all weekend and haven't had any show stopping issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Does anyone know of a way to change those fugly windows xp style buttons? what the hell were apple thinking about. I loved the aqua style buttons and scroll bars. Now Its a lovely grey scroll bar inspired by windows 98. Just nasty.

Other than that Lion is okay. I see no real improvement as a whole, a few bloaty additions it's just snow leopard with some lipstick. I will never get why you would need launchpad when you have the dock, application folder, finder, spotlight etc.. but each to their own..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Its the few issues that put me over the edge, I was never really impressed with Lion anyway. For me I would spend too much time making it like snow leopard with no advantage for me atm.

Overall it seems stable enough.

Other than that Lion is okay. I see no real improvement as a whole, a few bloaty additions it's just snow leopard with some lipstick. I will never get why you would need launchpad when you have the dock, application folder, finder, spotlight etc.. but each to their own..

Launchpad is pretty useless but I quite like Mission Control.

My main reason for upgrading was more for the new APIs that Apple have added, including OpenGL 3.2 support (finally!), than anything else.

I found that once I'd disabled the Dashboard as a space and put the scrolling back to normal it's more or less the same to use. We're talking 5 minutes in System Preferences here.

Fullscreen Mail, Preview and iTunes all work quite well, although fullscreen Safari on a high res screen is a pain. It works great on a 13" Macbook though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Anyone know if Lion has TRIM support for SSD's ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Anyone know if Lion has TRIM support for SSD's ???

Yep. Apparently it was also quietly added to the 10.6.8 update

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/27/mac-os-x-10-6-8-brings-trim-support-for-apple-ssds-graphics-improvements/

stimpson wrote: »

Ok thats for Apple shipped SSD's only. I have a non Apple fitted SSD and my updated 10.6.8 hasn't enabled TRIM.
    Does Lion support non-apple TRIM ??

I'm starting to get annoyed. Why are apple disabling TRIM on thrird party drives. Is that anti-competitive/illegal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ok thats for Apple shipped SSD's only. I have a non Apple fitted SSD and my updated 10.6.8 hasn't enabled TRIM.
    Does Lion support non-apple TRIM ??

I'm starting to get annoyed. Why are apple disabling TRIM on thrird party drives. Is that anti-competitive/illegal ?

TRIM enabler should get you up and running:

http://www.groths.org/?p=308

stimpson wrote: »
    TRIM enabler should get you up and running:

http://www.groths.org/?p=308

I read bad things about that - don't want to risk it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Using it with my Intel x-25 M. No problems whatsoever

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Using it with my Intel x-25 M. No problems whatsoever

Amongst things I've read is that it doesn't actually enable to TRIM it just makes it looks like its enabled.
    Does your machine perform any different with it on vs off ?

Advertisement