Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSX Lion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Anyone notice this bug?
    Start a full screen app (in my case it's chrome).
    Swipe three fingers to the right which will open dashboard.
    The dock at the bottom will appear and will not disappear when you go back to the full screen app.

I noticed that the dock wouldn't appear until I swipped over it a couple of times while in full screen Chrome. I imagine it'll be a fix in .1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Yeah it's weird. I'm not really too fond of full screen apps now. Everything seems to be slightly more effort to do when you're in the app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

How do I make a shortcut to my devices?
    I've four external hard drives and I'd like to make a shortcut I could put in the dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nodferatu wrote: »
    whats wrong with safari?

I switched to Safari once I got Lion and one thing I don't like is to do with bookmarks. In Chrome and Firefox if you hover over a folder in your bookmarks bar, all the websites within that folder can be seen and clicked whereas in Safari you have to actually click the fodder name for the websites to become visible. I know it's only 1 extra click but it is a small pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

If anyone uses carbonite as a back-up its not compatible yet either.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Yeah it's weird. I'm not really too fond of full screen apps now. Everything seems to be slightly more effort to do when you're in the app.

On the plus side, my 13" mbp just got bigger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Seems a bit slow and buggy all right, but I am so pleased that Mail finally shows your sent messages in threads (really, how has it taken them six years to catch up with Gmail?) that I'm willing to overlook the other deficiencies for the moment. Of course, I haven't had any real problems to speak of....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Bleh, two RBoD freezes in a row. Think it might be gfxCardStatus causing some of the problems. It's been updated for Lion but switching cards seems to trigger something.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seems a bit slow and buggy for me too. Could be issues due to doing upgrade rather than clean install. It did become more responsive after it had time to settle down following the upgrade. So far I've only upgraded my machine in work to Lion, I've left my personal machine alone running Snow Leopard.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

apoch632 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me and I killed the power as well

This is how I solved it.

Booted from the Snow Leopard disk (Put the disk in and hold C "i think" during startup)
    Ran all the diagnostics and it turned out there was some issue with my hard drive
    Erased the hard drive and restored the last Time Machine backup I had
    Started up in Snow Leopard then installed Lion and it worked fine

Thanks for the PM and the solution above.

Sadly for me this wont work as my HD is fried. Going to Mactivate on monday for repair and im going to upgrade to 1TB HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Lion won't install onto my Macbook. It's saying my startup HDD doesn't use the GUID partition. Going to try burning to a DVD. This is fairly convoluted for Apple. I recently installed an SDD drive and was able to restore my time machine backup onto it without issue. Can't understand why Lion is proving more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Nodferatu wrote: »
    whats wrong with safari?

Two gripes for me on Safari. When you open a new tab, it puts it at the end of tab list, so if you've lots of tabs open, it's a pain. Please correct me if there's a way to have Safari mirror Chrome's action in this regard.

Secondly, the address bar is not a search bar, minor gripe admittedly, but all the same.

I like the gestures in Safari, but prefer Chrome for the reason above.

DFD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

silvine wrote: »
    Lion won't install onto my Macbook. It's saying my startup HDD doesn't use the GUID partition. Going to try burning to a DVD. This is fairly convoluted for Apple. I recently installed an SDD drive and was able to restore my time machine backup onto it without issue. Can't understand why Lion is proving more difficult.
    And is it GUID? Because I'm not sure how you are currently booting from it if it isn't.

It won't install via the boot DVD either. Any ideas? I'm stuck with an OS I can't install.

How can I check it it's GUID? It says Apple partition Map on disk utility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In Disk Utility. At the bottom it will say what the partition scheme is.

It says MAc OS Extended journaled.

silvine wrote: »
    How can I check it it's GUID? It says Apple partition Map on disk utility.
    You'll need to reformat it as GUID. I thought Disk Utility did this automatically since SL, but if not go into the partitions tab and do it from there. Intel macs need GUID to boot so I don't know how you were booting using APM.

The Format menu is greyed out. My drive is an 60GB SDD which I installed last week.

Follow the instructions here to reformat the drive as GUID:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭finno

When i download lion will start to install itself straight away?

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

finno wrote: »
    When i download lion will start to install itself straight away?

No, it presents a screen and waits for you to initialise the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

milltown wrote: »
    Ditto. Dunno how many times already I've seen that widgets page trying to go back a page with a two finger swipe.

I got it working. If you switch the swipe between pages to 2 or 3 fingers it works again in Chrome, iTunes, Finder et al.

:D

I had to burn a disc image of Lion, format my HDD and do a clean install of Lion.

Optical media might not be dead after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

My USB headset does not work since the upgrade . It is not detected at all. Anybody with a similar issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Anyone get the 3 finger double tap thing to work? Does it only work in certain apps?

Can't get the 2 finger double tap smart zoom to work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Had a particularly unpleasant experience this morning with OSX Lion. Downloaded an MP3, clicked 'show in finder' then clicked play (within the folder) and listened to about half of the song - all grand. Then I dragged and dropped it into iTunes. Stopped playing the file in the folder and went to play it in iTunes, it played for a few seconds, the iMac then hung, and an ear piercingly loud sound that I can only describe as similar to an alarm was blasting out of the speakers. derrrrrr.....derrrrrr.....derrrrrr... had to emergency shut down.

This happened with snow leopard as well when I visited a particularly flash heavy site though it was strange it happened with iTunes.

Another thing, searching for files in finder always seems to hang my system for about 10 seconds. Also 3 finger double tap hasn't worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

it's going to take a while to get used to scrolling in the other direction when using Chrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

dubmick wrote: »
    it's going to take a while to get used to scrolling in the other direction when using Chrome

you don't have to. I was going to give it a go but as I use a windows machine in work it would just be a pain in the arse to switch daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

so how so you change it back?

Advertisement