Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

jimmyshoe wrote: »
    hey horse1, I have not heard anything yet. i got a letter from my GP and the result of the X-Ray from the hospital, so sent this in to the doctor in HQ, i will give them a ring in a few days, but i will probably be in the same boat as you for the PCT. fingers crossed we are not waiting too long.

hey, ya hopefully we dont have to wait too long. but ya never know with them. all we can do is keep on to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Folks,

Succesfull has been banned for at least 10 days from this forum for attempting to sell copyrighted material despite a warning from Chief and I have given a warning to one poster who breached the forum charter by mentioning this product and where it came from. Any further breaches of the charter will be dealt with fairly but please keep in mind the charter is there to protect users and boards.ie.

If you feel a poster is trolling, spamming (in this case) or breaching the charter in any way please use the Report button. It can be found on each post on the bottom left, third one in. Myself and the Mods can then review it and take action if needed.

thanks

TheNog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

Medical this week and after reading over many posts think this one in particular was helpful to anyone else waiting for a medical:

originally posted by MGX:

1) arrive and complete a medical questionare at depot (have your doctors phone number handy)
    2) hearing test carried out
    3) urine test taken
    4) blood pressure taken
    5) what i can describe as a lung capacity test is taken - you blow hard into a medical instrument which gives an idea of how fit you are (so i was told)
    6) brought upstairs to a waiting room to meet the doc then and wait around in very flattering bathrobes with paper gowns on underneath.
    7) meet the doc and she/he checks your breathing and gets you to stand up straight on your toes.
    8) checks your height and weight - did not mention BMI but the scales gives a digital readout of your total percentage body fat.
    9) men have to cough (twice) then!!!
    10) look into a box and read lines for your eyesight and also read numbers hidden in designs from a book (colourblind test).
    11) my teeth were never checked.
    12) they also check your ears and throat to make sure all is okay.

if you were to do the medical straight through you would complete it in about 20 mins but with all the waiting around it took about 2 hours - it flies tough as you meet other guys waiting and you can have a chat and a laugh. hope all goes well for ya.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lancerwall

hi all just looking through some of the comments and noticed, about people being deferred because they had gone for X-rays. just wondering if i should bring a copy of a X-ray i got a few years back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

lancerwall wrote: »
    hi all just looking through some of the comments and noticed, about people being deferred because they had gone for X-rays. just wondering if i should bring a copy of a X-ray i got a few years back

Can do no harm at the moment been honest saves time on been deferred and stuff!! Maybe even a doctors letter explaining what the x-ray was for!

• Advertisement

goouch wrote: »
    Medical this week and after reading over many posts think this one in particular was helpful to anyone else waiting for a medical:

Hey goouch did you get a date??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

:
    Hey goouch did you get a date??[/QUOT
    Ya cant wait to get it over with you hopeful for Nov orrr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Hi Guys and Gals! Im new to posting but have been following this thread for a while now and find it very helpful :)

Just wondering does anyone know when the next campagne is opening I cant seem to get a proper answer from any number I ring:(
    Failed the medical last time round so have to go thru the whole process again, Also can somebody please clarify about the eyesight I raid unaided on the gards website but on this forum some people are saying it has changed to "aided"
    Also has anyone got a third chance at the Physical? I know someone who did...

Mun23 wrote: »
    Hi Guys and Gals! Im new to posting but have been following this thread for a while now and find it very helpful :)

Just wondering does anyone know when the next campagne is opening I cant seem to get a proper answer from any number I ring:(
    Failed the medical last time round so have to go thru the whole process again, Also can somebody please clarify about the eyesight I raid unaided on the gards website but on this forum some people are saying it has changed to "aided"

I have heard unconfirmed reports there will be a recruitment drive in November. I don't know about the eyesight test tbh but someone here should be able to help you there.

By the way what part of the medical did you fail on? If its not too personal that is

Hi " The Nog" thanks for that ya I heard Nov too so fingers crossed! Its such a long process.
    Failed on BMI so workin hard now to get it down so dissapointing :mad: but Ill be ready for it next time. What part of the procees u at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

Funny that. On the Garda website it says:

Defective Vision (the vision standard required of a Garda trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision).

but then it says:

The vision standard requirement of a Garda trainee is Binocular Vision of not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal color vision

What part of the procees u at?

I am a Probationer Garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Part Timer

What was your BMI. Do you know what BMI you have to be under to pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Part Timer

Hi " The Nog" thanks for that ya I heard Nov too so fingers crossed! Its such a long process.
    Failed on BMI so workin hard now to get it down so dissapointing :mad: but Ill be ready for it next time. What part of the procees u at?

What is the highest BMI you can have to pass the medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

I think 20 to 30 is the BMI scale to be within. 25 or under is optimal but dont think you will fail once under 30.

I was 27 but was fine as I am 'tall and athletic' - the doctors words not mine!!! Get it down as low as possible whatever happens as you know it is something that you are measured on for defo.

As a by the way it seems to vary with some doctors regarding previous operations and x rays etc. I had a back operation a year ago and was asked how was it and I said fine and he said great.

Yeah I think 20 to 30 is about right. Bear in mind though that BMI is not the bee all and end all. There was a fella in my class who scored higher than 30 even though he was very fit. The reason was because he was short in stature but very well built. BMI should only be taken into consideration with overall health, obsveration of the body and some common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

google08 wrote: »
    2010 is that when they are advertising again for the next recruitment drive ? Does that mean that between now and 2010 that they will be getting in the 2000 waiting to get in ?
    Do you know what batch are due in nov ?
    wispa wrote: »
    just my own opinion i dont think we will have to wait untill 2010 for the next recruitment.there was a new poster released looking for more muslim and foreign people to join AGS a few weeks ago.i doubt they would release a poster like that looking for foreign recruits and then make them wait 2 years until they could join, that would put people off applying.what do people think????

can we move these posts over to the "applying to join" forum ... I'm failing to see what they have to do with the medical ... and it should also keep Chief--- happy :) with reducing off-topic chatting ;)

done and dusted. 4 posts moved to applying to join.

Well spotted Kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

hi guys im from the may 08 competition batch 1 passed interview in august,still no word on medical anyone else the same?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tigerman2k

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Tackling Crime – An Absolute Priority

Speaking on the publication of the 2009 Estimates, the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, Mr. Dermot Ahern T.D., said the major focus and challenge for 2009 will be to maintain frontline services in the Justice area.
    The Minister said: "Tackling crime will be my top priority for 2009 and the Estimates package for my Department and particularly An Garda Síochána reflect the seriousness of our intent – notwithstanding the changed economic circumstances."
    "As a Government we are signalling very clearly that policing, crime prevention and tackling crime are priority items in the Justice area in 2009. Funding follows the priorities; that means of course that some Justice agencies will have significantly reduced budgets in 2009. However they will retain funding for their core activities."

Headline Points

Garda Recruitment to continue in 2009
    • The attested strength of An Garda Síochána to increase to almost 14,900 by the end of 2009 from its current attested strength of 14,267. In addition to the almost 1,100 recruits currently in training, four hundred new recruits will be taken on during 2009.

"In circumstances where numbers are being significantly reduced throughout the public sector, maintaining Garda strength is a key indicator of the government resolve to make our country a safer place", the Minister stated. The Minister went on to say that the easy option would have been to maintain overtime spending at a very high level and to cease recruiting. The Minister said that the Gardaí will have a substantial overtime budget of €80m which is down from this year’s budget of €108m. However, the increase in the number of Gardaí, together with the flexibility that overtime gives to the Force, will ensure delivery of a sustainable and real increase in visible policing for all our communities. The increase in Garda numbers in 2009 will more than offset the planned reduction in overtime.

Paolo, your posts are both well informed and insightful.

Can I ask what stage you are at?

• Advertisement

andrew1985 wrote: »
    hi guys im from the may 08 competition batch 1 passed interview in august,still no word on medical anyone else the same?:)

Hi andrew sorry to disapoint you but I'm from may 08 batch 1 and just completed my pct this morning! However I did have the interview in july.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

Hi andrew sorry to disapoint you but I'm from may 08 batch 1 and just completed my pct this morning! However I did have the interview in july.

I'm from the January 2008 comp - waiting to be called for my med but was told last week that it wouldn't be this side of Christmas, probably around Feb !!!

Tackling Crime – An Absolute Priority

Speaking on the publication of the 2009 Estimates, the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, Mr. Dermot Ahern T.D., said the major focus and challenge for 2009 will be to maintain frontline services in the Justice area.
    The Minister said: "Tackling crime will be my top priority for 2009 and the Estimates package for my Department and particularly An Garda Síochána reflect the seriousness of our intent – notwithstanding the changed economic circumstances."
    "As a Government we are signalling very clearly that policing, crime prevention and tackling crime are priority items in the Justice area in 2009. Funding follows the priorities; that means of course that some Justice agencies will have significantly reduced budgets in 2009. However they will retain funding for their core activities."

Headline Points

Garda Recruitment to continue in 2009
    • The attested strength of An Garda Síochána to increase to almost 14,900 by the end of 2009 from its current attested strength of 14,267. In addition to the almost 1,100 recruits currently in training, four hundred new recruits will be taken on during 2009.

"In circumstances where numbers are being significantly reduced throughout the public sector, maintaining Garda strength is a key indicator of the government resolve to make our country a safer place", the Minister stated. The Minister went on to say that the easy option would have been to maintain overtime spending at a very high level and to cease recruiting. The Minister said that the Gardaí will have a substantial overtime budget of €80m which is down from this year’s budget of €108m. However, the increase in the number of Gardaí, together with the flexibility that overtime gives to the Force, will ensure delivery of a sustainable and real increase in visible policing for all our communities. The increase in Garda numbers in 2009 will more than offset the planned reduction in overtime.

I don't know about you guys but this doesn't make for good reading !!! It clearly states that they're only taking on 400 new recruits in 2009. There's usually 250 per intake..

That does not sound good at all :eek: but surely they must be taking on more than 400? Thats way too low for the amount of people who will apply, if there are 1000 that get through all 4 stages what will they do then???
    Im still waiting anxiously to apply hoping campagne will open in November!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lancerwall

andrew1985 wrote: »
    Hi, i was in batch 1 aswell passed my intervew in July and even meet the local superintendant in july but still heard no word since then:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

tigerman2k wrote: »
    Paolo, your posts are both well informed and insightful.

Can I ask what stage you are at?

I am from Jan '08. Passed PCT last week. Waiting for offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

hi dude best of luck hope you get offer as soon as:) rang hq tis afternoon and was told checks still ongoing and that im looking at feb09 or even may09 if all goes well with med and pct.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 redlane

That does not sound good at all :eek: but surely they must be taking on more than 400? Thats way too low for the amount of people who will apply, if there are 1000 that get through all 4 stages what will they do then???
    Im still waiting anxiously to apply hoping campagne will open in November!!!:confused:

Presumably standards will be upped so that less people get through the first two stages i.e higher score needed in the aptitude test, etc.

I know ! I would hope so too but it says only 400 ad its an official press release ! I'm waiting for my med call...

• Advertisement

I am from Jan '08. Passed PCT last week. Waiting for offer.

Congrats Paolo, hope your not waiting too long :)

Advertisement