Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap Fair city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

what a load of sh*t.

just because you're mates with a few Fair City actors you think you're superior to the rest of us.

Said actors who are knobs in real life

Jimmy - already gone there, a scumbag
    Carol - lying bitch
    Rita - a pig
    Lana - most annoying person ever

I know none of these people but why aren't they in the tabloids????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Rita - a pig

I lol'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Overunder wrote: »
    Do You know what people, When the lighting is bad or to bright, the actor looks bad when the dialogue in the script has been written by an idiot who cant write to save is life, the actor looks bad, when the make up is patchy, the actor looks bad, when the director doesn't know how to direct, the actor looks bad...there is a lot of narrow minded critics in this forum who know nothing about television production, sure maybe RTE doesn't either, but stop blaming the actors, yes i do know some of them and I also know that 90 percent of them have years of experience in film and theatre, who dont get the talented directors lighting and scripts they are used to...for fair city actors its just a gig! So why not take a good look at the production elements on this show and criticize them...

Right so it's the lack of good writing/directors/make-up artists who make the actors wooden and not in any way believable? Sorry but that is completely rubbish. Those things certainly add to the overall crapness but you can't blame those things for the complete lack of acting ability many of them show.

Then of course there are the odd few who actually are decent enough actors despite the things you listed, such as Niamh, Keith, Jo, Heather and Renee. If they can do why can't the rest of them if they are so talented?

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt9LWqwqd0U&feature=related LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Then of course there are the odd few who actually are decent enough actors despite the things you listed, such as Niamh, Keith, Jo, Heather and Renee. If they can do why can't the rest of them if they are so talented?

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt9LWqwqd0U&feature=related LOL!

You are joking about Heather, right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

It's pretty obvious even reading the posts here that what's wrong is the quality control. Some of the acting is brilliant, some of it are lousy. Some of the dialogue is brilliant, and some of it is a slow-motion car crash. I presume the same goes for lighting, make-up, and all the other things I know nothing about.

If it was always as good as it has been for the last couple of weeks, I would call myself a Fair City fan. Is there even such a thing? Look at the title of this thread for example. When you tell someone you watch the programme, they look at you as if you escaped from somewhere. Then they check it out on one of the bad nights, and you know you look like an idiot for recommending it.

• Advertisement

It's pretty obvious even reading the posts here that what's wrong is the quality control. Some of the acting is brilliant, some of it are lousy. Some of the dialogue is brilliant, and some of it is a slow-motion car crash. I presume the same goes for lighting, make-up, and all the other things I know nothing about.

This is the case with most Prime Time soap operas. We have a tendancy to be down on Fair City without really looking at the unbelieveable story lines of Emmerdale, the down right depressing Eastenders and the dragged out Corronation Street (3 days for one character to tell her partner that she lost their baby, they played it for "dramatic effect").

All soaps have bad actors, some bad make up and some terrible storyline. Generally it not some of the time it is most of the time.

Ros Na Run is a far better soap but some of the acting in that in resent years has a lot to be desired.

man1 wrote: »
    You are joking about Heather, right??

I think she's quite good (and I love that ad she's in where she's in the family sports day!)

Niamh's younger sister is woeful though. I'm mesmerized by the amount of head-bobbing she does when she's talking. Almost as captivating as Ursula's ears and Leo's ill-timed hand movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I think it should be scrapped and all the actors should be sold as slave labour, they're all brutal!!! Im ashamed to say my aunt was in it a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I think she's quite good (and I love that ad she's in where she's in the family sports day!)

Yeah that ad is an absolute howl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I know of someone who was in Fair City for a while. They don't do an awful lot of rehearsing from what I've heard. As long as you can say your lines and not bump into the furniture, it'll be broadcast. Some actors won't appear in the show because it'll be a blot on their CV rather than something to further their careers. Funny that!

• Advertisement

BJC wrote: »
    Im ashamed to say my aunt was in it a few years back.

Cool. Who did she play?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If you don't like don't watch it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

Has anyone on the show ever pulled that Jo up on how many times she says 'Look It' It's a source of comedy in my place, many a bet put down on how many times she will say it in an episdoe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I just cant take Fair City at all seriously when there is an actor that is as dire as the one who plays Leo. He is like the irish equivalant of the guy who plays Dev in Corrie but a lot lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

Niamh's younger sister is woeful though. I'm mesmerized by the amount of head-bobbing she does when she's talking. Almost as captivating as Ursula's ears and Leo's ill-timed hand movements.

Ursula's ears!!!! :pac: lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Delliemcc

mateo wrote: »
    Ursula's ears!!!! :pac: lmao

No its ERRRSULAAA as Delores pronounces it!!!

I LOVE Fair City cause of its utter crappness!! Check out my blog here

www.bebo.com/Jujjidellie - all about fair city!! In a kinda funny way though - its pure long though!!

Ursula fallin down the stairs was my fav EVER though!! And her lying on the dtreacher roaring I dont like hospital Delores!!!!:D:):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

the camera angles are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Delliemcc

Overunder wrote: »
    Do You know what people, When the lighting is bad or to bright, the actor looks bad when the dialogue in the script has been written by an idiot who cant write to save is life, the actor looks bad, when the make up is patchy, the actor looks bad, when the director doesn't know how to direct, the actor looks bad...there is a lot of narrow minded critics in this forum who know nothing about television production, sure maybe RTE doesn't either, but stop blaming the actors, yes i do know some of them and I also know that 90 percent of them have years of experience in film and theatre, who dont get the talented directors lighting and scripts they are used to...for fair city actors its just a gig! So why not take a good look at the production elements on this show and criticize them...

Get over yourself!! There BAD!! Have you SEEN Rita??? My dear god every sentance that woman uttered also included juttn her neck out like she was a jack in the box!!!!

And name dropping people from Fair City is HILARIOUS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

Delliemcc wrote: »
    No its ERRRSULAAA as Delores pronounces it!!!

I LOVE Fair City cause of its utter crappness!! Check out my blog here

www.bebo.com/Jujjidellie - all about fair city!! In a kinda funny way though - its pure long though!!

Ursula fallin down the stairs was my fav EVER though!! And her lying on the dtreacher roaring I dont like hospital Delores!!!!:D:):pac:

Haha great blog! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

What's wrong with Mags? She's slurring her words for a long time now and it was very noticable tonight. Stroke?

• Advertisement

I have been informed that her grandson asked about her slurring, Charlie informed him that she is having trouble with her teeth.

Hard hitting social realism hits Fair City. Of course they are only copying Corronation Street's storyline about Deirdre breaking her Glasses.

Elmo wrote: »
    Hard hitting social realism hits Fair City. Of course they are only copying Corronation Street's storyline about Deirdre breaking her Glasses.

In fairness, both storylines are obviously derived from that devastating moment in King Lear when Edgar bangs his thumbnail on the door-post and it goes a bit black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Delliemcc wrote: »

Best Ever. That scene is why I watch Fair City. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What were the producers thinking with ther Floyd and Heather story-line? Was it actually needed? Did it effect their ratings at all i wonder :confused: (good or bad)

Tuesday 512,000
    Thursday 459,000
    Wednesday 476,000
    Sunday 425,000

If it had anything to do with the Floyd and Heather storyline, they kept their veiwers for the summer months. 512,000 viewers is excellent for July.

EastEnders top Episode had 408,000
    Corronation Street top Episode had 422,000
    Emmerdale's top episode had 253,000
    Home And Away had 165,000

Weekending the 13/07/2008, when did Floyd die?

Ok now I havent seen it in a little while but where the hell did Rory reappear from?! Himself and Carol are still going out? Or did they get back together? I'm incredibly confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What about joe (lookit) Durmetts wife? She is forever whinging and moaning about silly things. Instead of taking her to the pub to try and stop her whinging he should take her to bed and give her a good hard riding to shut her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Elmo wrote: »
    Tuesday 512,000
    Thursday 459,000
    Wednesday 476,000
    Sunday 425,000

If it had anything to do with the Floyd and Heather storyline, they kept their veiwers for the summer months. 512,000 viewers is excellent for July.

EastEnders top Episode had 408,000
    Corronation Street top Episode had 422,000
    Emmerdale's top episode had 253,000
    Home And Away had 165,000

Weekending the 13/07/2008, when did Floyd die?

maybe it has something to do with the times they are on,the later the show the more viewers they get

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

did i hear right that 'carol' is getting it rough from the Criminal Assets Bureau ?

seriously hope so and about time too if it's happening

• Advertisement

maybe it has something to do with the times they are on,the later the show the more viewers they get

Perhaps but I haven't included BBC1's or UTV's viewership for Emmerdale, Coronation St., Or EastEnders. (50,000 to 120,000 extra viewers).

Advertisement