Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

We should start taking bets on how much they will rip us off by.

Although many of the cheap passes in the UK on eBay came from people buying the box to sell on for dodgier uses - they seem to have cut down on this so we might now see much fewer UK cheap passes, and we won't get them at all in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Really? Is it that simple?

Yep. You can only select UK as your billing address, so I just used parcel motel postcode but my own Irish debit card, no issues.

And there is 100% no need for VPN or DNS - the only channel that is geo-blocked is ITV encore.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Yep. You can only select UK as your billing address, so I just used parcel motel postcode but my own Irish debit card, no issues.

And there is 100% no need for VPN or DNS - the only channel that is geo-blocked is ITV encore.

I think the time of not hiding your location is coming to an end,

A simple search is all thats needed to wipe out all parcel motel address accounts, you're also completely giving away your location as being in Ireland by the ip address you're using, when the service officially launches here you'll either be converted to an Irish service or just blocked or cancelled, theres no way they're going to allow irish IP's get access to the UK service which will no doubt be cheaper.

I would suggest using a DNS, while at this point in time it will work without a DNS they launch here soon so do you really want to know what will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I still buy from ebay.

rogercross wrote: »
    I think the time of not hiding your location is coming to an end,

A simple search is all thats needed to wipe out all parcel motel address accounts, you're also completely giving away your location as being in Ireland by the ip address you're using, when the service officially launches here you'll either be converted to an Irish service or just blocked or cancelled, theres no way they're going to allow irish IP's get access to the UK service which will no doubt be cheaper.

I would suggest using a DNS, while at this point in time it will work without a DNS they launch here soon so do you really want to know what will happen

Meh, they could have done any or all of that at any point in the last couple of years but they didn't.

The guy asked for an 'easy set-up'. Jumping through all these hoops for something that may or may not happen at some point in the future is not an easy set-up.

Again, worst case scenario, your account is blocked, you just log out and create a new one.

• Advertisement

Meh, they could have done any or all of that at any point in the last couple of years but they didn't.

The guy asked for an 'easy set-up'. Jumping through all these hoops for something that may or may not happen at some point in the future is not an easy set-up.

Again, worst case scenario, your account is blocked, you just log out and create a new one.

Little defensive aren't we, your choice anyway, personally i think a little caution is no harm and i have been found on several occasions due to my ip address and or mailing address. The DNS services aren't perfect but they provide better protection than nothing at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Little defensive aren't we, your choice anyway, personally i think a little caution is no harm and i have been found on several occasions due to my ip address and or mailing address. The DNS services aren't perfect but they provide better protection than nothing at all

Boards mods caught you ? :D:D:D:D

Boards mods caught you ? :D:D:D:D

Knock Knock, crap!!! :-)

Well, two months ago a load of posters using DNS, yourself included, found their access cut off. People using regular IPs did not. So it's just bad advice.

People in Ireland have had their access cut off when they've actually contacted Now TV to complain. Little tip: if you're breaching T and C, don't voluntarily draw attention to it.

Whatever cost saving you're making on the UK price vs the as yet unknown Irish price is going to be eroded by the fiver or tenner per month you're paying for DNS or VPN.

Finally, if we're being cautious, routing all your web traffic through some dubious third party is an interesting approach.

Well, two months ago a load of posters using DNS, yourself included, found their access cut off. People using regular IPs did not. So it's just bad advice.

People in Ireland have had their access cut off when they've actually contacted Now TV to complain. Little tip: if you're breaching T and C, don't voluntarily draw attention to it.

Whatever cost saving you're making on the UK price vs the as yet unknown Irish price is going to be eroded by the fiver or tenner per month you're paying for DNS or VPN.

Finally, if we're being cautious, routing all your web traffic through some dubious third party is an interesting approach.

Time will tell how it all goes anyway if straight irish ip or "dubious" third party wins out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

If you're paying that much a month you're going to the wrong shop!!

If you're paying that much a month you're going to the wrong shop!!

I know right, I'm actually paying nothing, lifetime dns subscription, and that cost me $20, 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

http://www.nowtv.com/ie

15 quid movies & 15 quid ent, both a rip off vs UK pricing with the ent pack pure theft. Sports less of a rip off for day & week passes vs UK but monthly is a rip.

So SKY continue to milk Ireland, no shocks there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I was waiting for it to be official before passing judgement - but based on the pricing on that web site, it's a total rip off. Almost twice the price it is in the UK for the same content (minus ITV Encore).

Also, no Now TV Smart box or Kids pass from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sky can go bite the bark from the length of my big fat log if they think I'm paying that much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ah, the Irish tax strikes again.

Sky can fcuk right off with those prices.

Wow, they are shocking prices. I was expecting a bump from the UK price but that is crazy.

€15 at current exchange rate is £12.72.

So £12.72 for the entertainment pack vs £6.99 in the UK. Mental.

Sports passes are not as bad, only a small differential.

Yea that price is awful, I see the Irish now tv box has the tv3 player listed.

http://www.nowtv.com/ie/tv-box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

They're fairly charging for their boxes as well! If anyone wants to pick up some cheaper, I found a source that might be useful. Probably best to PM though.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I see it's the older box they are selling too. Shower of Shytes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Yeah, it's the only irish catch up service currently on ROKU, RTE can't even manage a chromecast facility so I'd imagine the ROKU Channel is a ways off but who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.

Dave..M wrote: »
    Yeah, it's the only irish catch up service currently on ROKU, RTE can't even manage a chromecast facility so I'd imagine the ROKU Channel is a ways off but who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.

I think you have to pay for the 3 player on roku too, so I'd wonder if they tried the same on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

The Cinema pass isn't a complete rip off but the Entertainment pass actually gives me a burning sensation in the seat of my pants.

I can't see any demand at all for the entertainment pass at that price, even from those with no knowledge of the UK prices. EUR 15 per month for some basic channels and box sets won't fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

I assume once officially launched here passes bought online cheaply won't work on account converted to Irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I assume once officially launched here passes bought online cheaply won't work on account converted to Irish ?

Keep the UK account going as long as its working. EBAY passes are literally a fraction of what they will charge Irish customers.
    If they shut me down they won't get me opening up an Irish account at those prices. Can happily survive without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0426/870441-sky-launches-monthly-subscription-service-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Sports passes are not as bad, only a small differential.

Sports at €50 per month?

Sports at €50 per month?

Yeah, it's a lot, but that's "only" a 25% increase over the UK rate, compared to an 82% mark-up on the entertainment pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Does anyone know is the Sports channels pure live like sat or would there be a few seconds time delay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Keep the UK account going as long as its working. EBAY passes are literally a fraction of what they will charge Irish customers.
    If they shut me down they won't get me opening up an Irish account at those prices. Can happily survive without it.

The carling sports passes are apparently 3 per account these days tho.

Same restrictions might apply to promotional passes on other passes.

Advertisement