Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Allyall wrote: »
    Old Nokia plug, external 3.5" Hard Drive or DC 5V 2A/2000mah charger 5.5mm
    Sound man, I actually have all three of those somewhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭rotorhead

Full Marx wrote: »
    Sound man, I actually have all three of those somewhere :pac:

The original power unit s 12v 1500mA .I would not recomend using a 5v charger it could possibly damage the box. I bought 2 of these for my boxes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=2PLWJIK85A5HM&K=A3QPASIXTOLB0D&R=1COP0BXVXCDG5&T=C&U=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fdp%2FB017YW2BYO%2Fref%3Dpe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1&A=EAMKQPRAVCYVUY1FRR9HGYWBJZMA&H=CIOXDPCFAHHJHWTJW2Y1GKBBZMMA&ref_=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

This one has been bugging me and I haven't been able to find a solution other than to manually do it.

If I delete something from the library that is on an external device but is always connected a library update will not remove it from the library for me, have it set to scan at start up. It will pick new stuff up fine.

I discovered that if you use the clean library option it will actually remove the source as a whole and not just the missing files if using a USB drive :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tyres

Looking for opinions/help/suggestions/advice/pretty much anything you got as I am pretty clueless with this stuff......I am looking at buying 2 new Wetek Play's with DVB S2 tuner for Satellite dishes along with the SD card preloaded with OpenELEC and remotes but before I pull the trigger I want to make that it will suit systems that are in place in both houses.

​House 1 :
    *** dish with CAT 6 connection point at back of TV along with Broadband speeds of up to 45mbs.
    House 2 :
    *** dish with wireless router and pretty brutal broadband speeds of 2.5mbs on last Speedtest.

The fact that I am buying SD Cards with OpenELEC is it just a case of inserting SD cards, connecting to internet, connecting relevant antenna leads and my system is up and running???

Thanks in advance,
    tyrestyres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

tyres wrote: »
    Looking for opinions/help/suggestions/advice/pretty much anything you got as I am pretty clueless with this stuff......I am looking at buying 2 new Wetek Play's with DVB S2 tuner for Satellite dishes along with the SD card preloaded with OpenELEC and remotes but before I pull the trigger I want to make that it will suit systems that are in place in both houses.

​House 1 :
    *** dish with CAT 6 connection point at back of TV along with Broadband speeds of up to 45mbs.
    House 2 :
    *** dish with wireless router and pretty brutal broadband speeds of 2.5mbs on last Speedtest.

The fact that I am buying SD Cards with OpenELEC is it just a case of inserting SD cards, connecting to internet, connecting relevant antenna leads and my system is up and running???

Thanks in advance,
    tyrestyres

What do you want to do with these boxes?
    Will you be running an enigma 2 based os or android as default os? why buy openelec on the mSD cards when you could just flash openelec on to the nand storage or launch kodi from the android os?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It's cheaper to buy 2 Wetek OpenELEC's http://webshop.openelec.tv/

But if you hold on, you *may* be able to get in on the group buy.

Aquos76 has a preliminary order for 75, there are over 90 people in the queue at a guess, but so far not everybody has come back.
    It may be worth watching how that goes this evening.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057523594&page=96
    ​House 1 :
    House 2 :

Thanks in advance,
    tyrestyres

I'm guessing you are buying these off someone else?
    Why are you buying two preloaded OpenELEC SD cards?

MicroSD Cards
    Wetek OpenELEC installer

It also depends on what setup the person you are buying from has preloaded it with.
    You are after finding this thread yourself, I suggest a quick glance through it, and it may answer any questions you have. Also may help you decide to go at it yourself without any preloaded build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

ur prob looking at buying direct from wetek's website,
    they ship the box with androin on NAND (internal memory)
    and there is the option to buy a micro sd with openelec installed on it,
    129 euro + extra for sd ect

the idea there is u can boot to android on the box itself
    or pop in the sd card and power on into openelec
    giving u 2 options
    89 euro or 63 from the group buy

the one in the group buy is from openelec web and ships with openelec on NAND

the box comes with certain apps installed
    but you can istall what u want pretty easy

​House 1 :
    House 2 :

Thanks in advance,
    tyrestyres

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

rotorhead wrote: »

A lower voltage adapter is very unlikely to cause any damage. The 12v were added after some European users with specific setups had asked for them. I can't remember the reason.
    You will still find many wetek plays being sold with the 5v adapter. The higher voltage is actually more likely to cause damage. The lower may not get enough power to the tuners, but seems to for any I've heard of so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone using iptv stalker paid service?
    Wondering if its worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Dcully wrote: »

Can't discuss anything of this nature on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Dcully wrote: »

Anything paid for on Kodi is a blatent ripoff and bound to disappear after they have your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

What is the EPG like? Currently using Amiko A3 and EPG is a big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

sibersha wrote: »
    What is the EPG like? Currently using Amiko A3 and EPG is a big let down.

Using crossepg here and its spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Could not for the life of me get crossepg to download. Just started and stopped straight away, how'd you sort yours wiz?

Anyone else transferring files to kodi and a connected storage device from a pc to kodi over wifi?

I'm getting around 200-300kbps over ftp or ssh , i can transfer at full speed to another windows PC on the network here so looks like a bottleneck on the kodi end :confused:

EDIT: Also another annoyance is if I want to access/enable a samba share in Kodi without using other add-ons I have to use the confluence skin. The option to ebable that is in under openelec settings there, which it seems gets turned off and is inaccessible if you use others :(

RossieMan wrote: »
    Could not for the life of me get crossepg to download. Just started and stopped straight away, how'd you sort yours wiz?

I'm using pbeniga image,installed crossepg from the plugins menu,

Then menu-setup-system-epg ,first time click on crossepg it crashes,box reboots go back in,set it use the USB extra folder,the chose opentv as the EPG provider and click the sky UK option,green to save and that's that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Will give it a go later. Cheers for that wiz!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Anyone else transferring files to kodi and a connected storage device from a pc to kodi over wifi?

I'm getting around 200-300kbps over ftp or ssh , i can transfer at full speed to another windows PC on the network here so looks like a bottleneck on the kodi end :confused:

EDIT: Also another annoyance is if I want to access/enable a samba share in Kodi without using other add-ons I have to use the confluence skin. The option to ebable that is in under openelec settings there, which it seems gets turned off and is inaccessible if you use others :(

the openelec settings should be showing up as a program addon for you

you should see there what speed the wifi is connected at.
    the card is AP6210 & from a quick look on google it's 65mbps max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Guys,

Have ordered the DVB-S2 version and am doing some research before it arrives. I have just been using an Android Box up until now so Linux and satellite set ups are new to me.
    To be honest I’m all over the shop between different forums and websites but struggling to nail down what I am looking for so hoping some knowledgeable people on here might have the answers…

Looking for help on getting this set up properly and questions I have are:

What does the box come pre-programmed with – Openelec and Kodi?

What is better to use for Kodi – OpenElec or Android?

Can this box be changed from Openelec to Android?

Is it possible to install “theblackbox” build in Kodi while running Openelec?

Would you recommend installing Enigma 2?

Are there better alternatives to Enigma 2?

Does the box come with VDR preinstalled?

Is tvheadend better than VDR?

What mods will you be doing to this box yourselves to get the most out of it?

New to all of this so appreciate your help if you can spare a few minutes…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭padair

Guys,

Have ordered the DVB-S2 version and am doing some research before it arrives. I have just been using an Android Box up until now so Linux and satellite set ups are new to me.
    To be honest I’m all over the shop between different forums and websites but struggling to nail down what I am looking for so hoping some knowledgeable people on here might have the answers…

What does the box come pre-programmed with – Openelec and Kodi?

What is better to use for Kodi – OpenElec or Android?

Can this box be changed from Openelec to Android?

Is it possible to install “theblackbox” build in Kodi while running Openelec?

Would you recommend installing Enigma 2?

Are there better alternatives to Enigma 2?

Does the box come with VDR preinstalled?

Is tvheadend better than VDR?

What mods will you be doing to this box yourselves to get the most out of it?

All of the above information would be great.
    Finding this box a royal pain in the hole

• Advertisement

Right I'll try answer some of these..
    Guys,

What does the box come pre-programmed with – Openelec and Kodi? Yes correct openelec is a light linux OS designed to only run kodi

What is better to use for Kodi – OpenElec or Android? Designed and apparently "optimised" to run openelec so try that out 1st, if only using kodi then openelec is better as you have less background memory hog apps running

Can this box be changed from Openelec to Android? Yes Android can be installed on the NAND memory but be careful doing so

Is it possible to install “theblackbox” build in Kodi while running Openelec? Yes it is just a kodi build

Would you recommend installing Enigma 2? it is worth trying out at least as you can run it off a mSD

Are there better alternatives to Enigma 2? The main Enigma 2 images are openatv and pbnigma check them here - http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-play/enigma-2

Does the box come with VDR preinstalled? not sure as have only used openatv

Is tvheadend better than VDR? not sure as have only used openatv

What mods will you be doing to this box yourselves to get the most out of it? running openatv with xmltvimport for EPG (inc. rytec extensions) and autobouquets e2

Hi

Just to help the ~70-80 newbies who will be coming here soon for info on Wetek play box below are some of the most useful sites and forums I have found

Not directly related to wetek but general satellite box sw and plugins

tommycahir wrote:
    Just to help the ~70-80 newbies who will be coming here soon for info on Wetek play box below are some of the most useful sites and forums I have found

Thanks mate appreciate it

Anyone know what the set up is on this video and are they using a satellite subscription?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43EDWPcnE8k&feature=youtu.be

Anyone know what the set up is on this video and are they using a satellite subscription?

TVHeadend running on OpenElec and a satellite subscription imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

that crowd have also been mentioned before for poor service ect

wiz569 wrote: »
    TVHeadend running on OpenElec and a satellite subscription imho

Looks like a good set up, thats what I will be hoping to achieve as long as its stable and doesn't freeze, buffer or drop out at all as that would crack me up.

Have to admit Im a bit lost at the minute, tons of information out there to digest :confused:.

I literally only start reading about Satellite and Linux set ups two days ago so a LOT to learn.

I'm probably gonna get lashed for this but if you dont ask you'll never know...

Apart from the ability to play Kodi and run as an Android box, for satellite viewing, how does the Wetek compare to other satellite boxes on the market such as the Amiko™ Alien 2+ Triple Tuner or Edision™ OS Mini (DVB-S2 Tuner) which are being fully set up by the likes of http://www.freetv.ie/ . Understand these are more expensive but just thought Id ask the question..

Looks like a good set up, thats what I will be hoping to achieve as long as its stable and doesn't freeze, buffer or drop out at all as that would crack me up.

Have to admit Im a bit lost at the minute, tons of information out there to digest :confused:.

I literally only start reading about Satellite and Linux set ups two days ago so a LOT to learn.

The following guide is aimed at openatv on zgemma boxes but alot of the same steps can be taken for openatv on the wetek play via mSD card.

http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-2s/84949-bare-bones-openatv-new-setup-guide.html

• Advertisement

I'm probably gonna get lashed for this but if you dont ask you'll never know...

Apart from the ability to play Kodi and run as an Android box, for satellite viewing, how does the Wetek compare to other satellite boxes on the market such as the Amiko™ Alien 2+ Triple Tuner or Edision™ OS Mini (DVB-S2 Tuner) which are being fully set up by the likes of http://www.freetv.ie/ . Understand these are more expensive but just thought Id ask the question..

From what I have read they would not have the performance power or stability of those common boxes, some of those boxes would also have the ability to add more tuners via slots rather than via the usb tuner route.
    The better the processing power the smoother the interchanges between screens and menus etc will be.
    In short you get what you pay for. the wetek is a great little starter box or one to get familiar with the different options available and I am using it for that to get familiar with enigma2 os configuration etc. before buying a more powerful box for the main sitting room. The wetek will then become the kodi box and my rpi2 will get moved to the bedroom.

Advertisement