Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poseur cyclists who won't use designated cycle lanes

Options
  • 23-10-2015 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭

These people drive me bananas. Where I live, there are decent cycle lanes...however there's a class of cyclist out there who dresses in all of the gear, who refuses to use them, and would instead prefer to hold up the traffic. This really has to stop. As I have said before, there is less and less room for cyclists on the road now, so they need to consider cutting down on it, and at least using cycle lanes where they exist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Road tax. Just getting that out of the way early.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They are the biggest cunce going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I was on a stag and one of the lads was a cyclist so I asked him why they don't use cycle lanes. His reply paraphrased:

Because they're ****e. Drivers don't watch out for them so if there's a cycle lane crossing a side street a driver will pull all the way out obstructing it and the cyclist will either be at risk of being hit by them or will have to go around them and have to cycle out in front of traffic to do so.

We all dragged the **** out of the bus and got the driver to go over him. It was only when I started looking out for these things that I realised he has a point. Ah well, 1 down...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Yeay. Another cyclist bashing thread! I love these.

On my commute to work there is a cycle lane that is shared with pedestrians. The pedestrians always walk in the cycle lane. Said cycle lane is also always full of glass and any time I've cycled in it I've got a puncture. Therefore I cycle on the road.

Cycle lanes are not compulsory for cyclists to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Poseur driver getting needlessly irritated by 5 seconds of overtaking a bike.

If there is 'less and less room' on roads, then stop being selfish and have consideration for other humans on the road.
    These threads always start off as the cyclists or pedestrians fault, maybe if the angry drivers took their head out of their hole and had some empathy or consideration for other people they wouldn't be so angry about life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I was only thinking yesterday we were overdue one of these threads. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Ally Dick wrote: »
    These people drive me bananas. Where I live, there are decent cycle lanes...however there's a class of cyclist out there who dresses in all of the gear, who refuses to use them, and would instead prefer to hold up the traffic. This really has to stop. As I have said before, there is less and less room for cyclists on the road now, so they need to consider cutting down on it, and at least using cycle lanes where they exist

There are lots of reasons cyclists don't use cycle lanes, including poor maintenance, dangerous design and just plain riskier than being on the road in some cases. Given that legally cyclists have a choice of road or lane that's perfectly legal and allowed. If you're travelling within speed limits in most areas where there are cycle lanes then you shouldn't have a significant hold up due to a bicycle. There will of course always be inconsiderate road users of all varieties but in general a short bit of patience and overtake safely when road conditions allow is the way to go.

As an aside I have had a chuckle in the past at a motorist getting annoyed at me being on the road and not a cycle lane-I was in a bus lane that they were illegally proceeding down at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You know the site has a search function, OP? You could have used it to find out that your stupid, pointless topic has been done to death umpteen times before. If you need to vent, open a window and let a roar at the world.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

endacl wrote: »
    You know the site has a search function, OP? You could have used it to find out that your stupid, pointless topic has been done to death umpteen times before. If you need to vent, open a window and let a roar at the world.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the patronising comment. I'm aware of other cycling threads. We need to keep getting the message out there so that cyclists change their ways, or give up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Thanks for the patronising comment. I'm aware of other cycling threads. We need to keep getting the message out there so that cyclists change their ways, or give up

So you want cyclists to stop doing something that's perfectly legal as opposed to addressing the various example of illegal actions by all forms of road users?

Riiiigggghhhttt.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Is there "less and less room for cyclists on the road now"? :confused: When did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Road tax. Just getting that out of the way early.

It's not road tax, it's ahhhhhh.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Is there "less and less room for cyclists on the road now"? :confused: When did this happen?

Obesity crisis? If we get Rockall and it's full of gas the 'Muricans might come and free us and we'll have deadly big roads. That's be cool.

Bang of entitlement off this. Entitlement or trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Ha ha ha ha ha I live in the Netherlands. Cyclists are second only to god and the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Your opening post has been kicked to death and you're still arguing even after your errors have been catalogued. Getting the message out there doesn't appear to be working with you. Are you assuming cyclists are more intelligent than you are?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Never understand why cyclists reply to these threads.

Never understand why cyclists reply to these threads.

Deep down, we find it fun. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Tarzana2 wrote: »

Cars are getting bigger and bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm aware of other cycling threads.

Including your own, no doubt.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97021197
    I think it's worth exploring whether cycling needs to be banned in certain areas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Maybe everyone needs to change their ways?

Here are some reasons for not using cycle lanes:
    - not mandatory
    - traffic light pole in the middle of the lane
    - ESB pole in the middle of the lane
    - A lane that disappears
    - A lane that leads you into a bush, not partially, but fully into a bush.
    - Debris that will give you punctures
    - Horrible surfaces
    - potholes
    - pedestians walking in them
    - motorists parking in them
    - motorists driving in the solid white lined ones
    - they dont always take you where you need to go

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Every so often some idiot will overtake me with his window down, having some kind of whinge about how to use the roads while he's driving in the middle of the road (usually on a solid white line) paying more attention to me than what's going on ahead of him.

I usually just give them a smile and a thumbs up. Unless you're a Garda, go and fnck yourself, please. You wouldn't listen to me if I told you how to drive so why would I listen to you.

Even if you are a Garda, I will disagree with you when you're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

Why can't cyclists just get the bus like other people who aren't able to afford a car?

It's really strange that we have this 18th century anachronistic form of transport allowed on our modern highways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ah would you stop.

What about if everyone was more considerate of everyone on the road rather than everyone thinking everyone else is a retard and they are the only perfect one on the road?

That would go way further.

It's a bike ffs, just around him. Heaven forbid you are so important and get delayed 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I would say there is plenty of room for cyclists. There does appear to be shortage of space for those ridulous 4x4 huge yokes that seem to be all the rage this last few years. The only off-roading those things do is when they drive up on the footpath to park them as they lift little seamus from school to begin their long half mile trek back home, through jungle, desert and snow coverered landscapes it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

FOok off ya little thanks whore repeating your own fooking repeated ad fooking nauseum poxy threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I also think you should give up.

Why can't cyclists just get the bus like other people who aren't able to afford a car?

It's really strange that we have this 18th century anachronistic form of transport allowed on our modern highways.

You're a funbo! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Driving through the city centre there last week and came up to a set of lights,cyclist comes up on the inside of me,stops and proceeds to push my passenger mirror in so he could move up another two foot...light turns green and I say fcuk this and take off after him and pull the van in at a angle in front of him,roll down the window and literally roar at him to fix the mirror back to the way it was....some absolute tits on bicycles going around the city!

• Advertisement

Driving through the city centre there last week and came up to a set of lights,cyclist comes up on the inside of me,stops and proceeds to push my passenger mirror in so he could move up another two foot...light turns green and I say fcuk this and take off after him and pull the van in at a angle in front of him,roll down the window and literally roar at him to fix the mirror back to the way it was....some absolute tits on bicycles going around the city!

Some absolute tits using various forms of transport going around the city.

Advertisement