Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry cyclists, there's no room for you anymore

Options
  • 15-09-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭

I feel I am stating the obvious here. There are now so many cars in Ireland that it is dangerous for cyclists. Sorry cyclists. There is now no room to accommodate you on Irish roads, so it's time to retire the bike until the cycle lanes are built and roads widened to fit you in. Otherwise, you are taking your life in your hands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

Jaysis, that's just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

you must be bored

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I use to cycle from Tallaght to the City Centre and back for work every day and I hated cycling through Rathmines as far up as Terenure since all the cars are always parked on the cycle lanes meaning you have to cycle in the middle of the road... absolute nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Get rid of cars from our streets before we get rid of bikes. I don't cycle myself but I drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

oh joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

eviltwin wrote: »
    Get rid of cars from our streets before we get rid of bikes. I don't cycle myself but I drive.

I can't imagine Eddie Stobart with a 40 foot container on his push bike though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Having them all go round on monocycles would free up a bit more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Ally Dick wrote:
    I feel I am stating the obvious here. There are now so many cars in Ireland that it is dangerous for cyclists. Sorry cyclists. There is now no room to accommodate you on Irish roads, so it's time to retire the bike until the cycle lanes are built and roads widened to fit you in. Otherwise, you are taking your life in your hands

Really worth it's own thread? Even with all the existing threads on this topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Having them all go round on monocycles would free up a bit more space.

Having them all go round on motorcycles would free up as much space and also give them a decent turn of speed with which to take up their position on the road and refrain from getting in grown-ups' way. Not to mention the added benefits of brake-lights, indicators and a hooter. And compulsory, proper helmets, and tax, and a license and... and...

So here is this afternoon's missive - I call for an immediate Pedalling-Bicycle Amnesty, whereby any and all who voluntarily surrender their infernal contraptions can therefore and henceby avail of a subsidised Honda CBF125 and IBT lessons.

Yours in road-safety,

Most Rev. James Daniel Ignatious Aloysius Kirkpatrick St. Jude Goose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Banning private cars off the roads is the most effective way of making the roads safer, cleaner and cheaper. Even the leftiest greens in the world wouldn't touch that one though. Pussies.

Banning private cars off the roads is the most effective way of making the roads safer, cleaner and cheaper. Even the leftiest greens in the world wouldn't touch that one though. Pussies.

Couldn't agree more. This would have the added bonus of sending V8 Range Rover sales through the stratosphere. You could go lantherin' across the fields home of an evening after a skinful a' the stout-ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

I'm wondering how long it will be before this turns into an 80 page crapfest about why cyclists should be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Goodbye bike to work scheme.

Hello zipline to work scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

everything should be banned only yoghurt is allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I worry about some of their antics at times and have witnessed several ugly incidents. Word of advice try not to lose the rag and hit someones backwindow with a drink bottle, you could really get a nasty beating.

Having said that some motorists do have a bad attitude towards them, for instance blasting the horn and shouting abuse out the window is not acceptable behaviour. Try to remain calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Obviously, in the grand old tradition of Internet discussion, you are all varying degrees of totally, absolutely, and entirely wrong. And I am right. Also, I am smug.

Therefore /thread.

eet fuk wrote: »
    I'm wondering how long it will be before this turns into an 80 page crapfest about why cyclists should be banned.

Waste of time. We need to ban buses so we can get scobies and foddeners off their backsides and onto CBF125s as well. Don't thank me, I'm a Humanist. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That's my point. I get annoyed when I see the government strategy on cycling. You'd swear driving a car was on the decline. If anything, it's the opposite. Then you have the prats who wear the professional looking cycling gear and they are cycling two and three abreast on busy roads. It's all an accident waiting to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I feel I am stating the obvious here. There are now so many cars in Ireland that it is dangerous for cyclists. Sorry cyclists. There is now no room to accommodate you on Irish roads, so it's time to retire the bike until the cycle lanes are built and roads widened to fit you in.
    Get a smaller car or use a motorbike.
    Use just one lane, don't waste road space.
    Park off-street.
    Don't make unnecessary journeys.
    Instant licencse ban and seizure of vehicle/bike for all road traffic offences.

If we use the space more efficiently, there will be plenty of room for everyone.

Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Really worth it's own thread? Even with all the existing threads on this topic?

I think it's worth exploring whether cycling needs to be banned in certain areas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I don't think they should be banned, I think they should be lined up against the wall and shot personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Horse drawn carriages FTW. Can't bate the sound of shoe'd hooves on cobblestone. Giddyup there Nelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I think it's worth exploring whether cycling needs to be banned in certain areas

Or ban the cars. They're the ones that actually cause the most accidents.

Oh, wait. They'res plans for that.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cars-banned-dublin-city-centre-2152917-Jun2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

time to retire the bike until the cycle lanes are built and roads widened to fit you in

The problem with this thinking is that as soon as cyclists put away their bikes to wait, the motorists will be "why are you building cycle lanes for? There are no cyclists".

Rather than "build it and they will come" it has to be "they are already here, now ****ing build it"..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Here's a discussion that's never been had.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Boll0x to it, we just need hover-cars.

"We we're going, we don't need roads" - Albert Einstein

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Here's a discussion that's never been had.

Originality is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I think you're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Horse drawn carriages FTW. Can't bate the sound of shoe'd hooves on cobblestone. Giddyup there Nelly.

Actually on second thoughts maybe we'd be better off strapping cats to our feet. More comfortable, versatile, and less methane production.

Advertisement