Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Quite fitting that the old thread closed as a mark of repsect to POC.

Thank you Paul O'Connell...a legend to take into my old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Interesting that they have replaced the other two but still no replacement for Payne. I wonder if they will hold off on replacing until after the next round as insurance against Murray / Reddan going down on a short term injury. If Earls is ok and with Fitz playing well there is no real rush to fill that gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Interesting that they have replaced the other two but still no replacement for Payne. I wonder if they will hold off on replacing until after the next round as insurance against Murray / Reddan going down on a short term injury. If Earls is ok and with Fitz playing well there is no real rush to fill that gap.

This wouldbe seriously high risk. Assuming Sexton is out for this weekend, that leaves us with the bare minimum of both scrum-halves and out-halves.

If someone picks up a twinge in the warm-up, or twists a knee in the captain's run on Friday, then we have to go into the world cup quarter-final with no-one on the bench in a key position.

Assuming Sexton will be back for the semis (if we're still there), the logical call-up is Boss. I think they are waiting to see how serious Jonny's injury is, but would expect an announcement by tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Assuming Sexton is out for this weekend, .

I'd say they have a fair idea already if Sexton will be available this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

This wouldbe seriously high risk. Assuming Sexton is out for this weekend, that leaves us with the bare minimum of both scrum-halves and out-halves.

If someone picks up a twinge in the warm-up, or twists a knee in the captain's run on Friday, then we have to go into the world cup quarter-final with no-one on the bench in a key position.

Assuming Sexton will be back for the semis (if we're still there), the logical call-up is Boss. I think they are waiting to see how serious Jonny's injury is, but would expect an announcement by tomorrow.

I suspect it is the Sexton injury (or some other niggle) that is preventing Payne being replaced.

As others have pointed out, you don't want to replace Payne with say Trimble only to discover two days later that sexton is out for one to two weeks and you have a tough call to make on whether to replace him or not.

Bottom line is that we don't really need a replacement outside centre in the camp for the next few days (assuming henshaw, fitz and cave are fit (and earls may also be fine) as there is already at least one fit centre who wouldn't make the match day squad this Sunday

However, it's very possible we realise on Tuesday or Wednesday we need Isaac boss or someone to go over.

It's also possible someone has an injury that we have no idea about, maybe Healy picked up a small knock and is a doubt. Do we really want Furlong benching at loose head?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Would it not make sense to call up a 3rd scrumhalf now? If Sexton is out we have Madigan and Jackson to cover 10. If Murray or Reddan were to pick up a knock in the captain's run or warm up, Madigan has to cover 9 and 10, which is far too risky. If Jackson picks up a knock early on he has to play 10, which means the other 9 playing 80 and praying he doesn't get injured either, and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

padser wrote: »
    As others have pointed out, you don't want to replace Payne with say Trimble only to discover two days later that sexton is out for one to two weeks and you have a tough call to make on whether to replace him or not.

Replace Sexton with who though? We have our 3 best OH's there already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

so the question becomes ian keatley vs. marmion/boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I suspect it is the Sexton injury (or some other niggle) that is preventing Payne being replaced.

Bottom line is that we don't really need a replacement outside centre in the camp for the next few days (assuming henshaw, fitz and cave are fit (and earls may also be fine) as there is already at least one fit centre who wouldn't make the match day squad this Sunday

However, it's very possible we realise on Tuesday or Wednesday we need Isaac boss or someone to go over.

It's also possible someone has an injury that we have no idea about, maybe Healy picked up a small knock and is a doubt. Do we really want Furlong benching at loose head?

Yeah, exactly. Trimble is the best player currently in Ireland, but he is not what the squad needs. It would require three injuries for Trimble to be needed, it only requires one for Boss to be needed.

Although Earls was icing his arm on Sunday too, so who knows, we might have to call them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Going to match on Sunday - very lucky the QFs fell as they did. Looking forward to Irish RWC match number 4!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

whats the story on Sexton ?

My guess , he's out Sunday , but back week after (hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

thebaz wrote: »

I think we'll find out either way after they complete training today. Maybe around the same time we hear about SOB.

Also keen to hear about Bosch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

thebaz wrote: »

Listened to the BOD podcast and he seems to think that Sexton could have carried on in the match but he was pulled because they already knew they would be playing in a QF even if they lost and it would be better to protect Sexton for the next match.....

Hopefully BOD is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm supremely confident about Sunday, even more so if Bosch is out. Our defence has been very very good, as long as we keep our discipline we will be ok, especially if they're missing their long goal kicker.

I think Argentina are the only team I haven't seen play (I missed the NZ match as I was travelling). Can someone explain why people are talking them up so much?

Sangre wrote: »
    I think Argentina are the only team I haven't seen play (I missed the NZ match as I was travelling). Can someone explain why people are talking them up so much?

They were impressive for 40 minutes against New Zealand, they really fronted up and scored a good try. NZ were definitely rattled. However the second half NZ were almost taking the piss, throwing the ball around like a league team needing a score off its final tackle. Like I say the first half performance was good, but given how off colour the Kiwis looked subsequently, I'm not sure how much weight can be put on it.

Against the weak reams in the group, the Pumas scored some cracking running tries from deep but they will not be afforded that space against ireland. I'm not underestimating Argentina, I just think we are a better team with a better coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah they are an excellent team but I feel a bit like France we have potentially been talking up the Argentinians a bit too much. They played wonderfully for 40 mins against NZ but they hammered a knackered Georgia with 14 men, conceded some soft tries against Tonga and Namibia was a training game for a mostly second team against depleted and exhausted minnows

I would like to think they may be slightly undercooked due to how easy their group turned out to be

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    They were impressive for 40 minutes against New Zealand, they really fronted up and scored a good try. NZ were definitely rattled. However the second half NZ were almost taking the piss, throwing the ball around like a league team needing a score off its final tackle. Like I say the first half performance was good, but given how off colour the Kiwis looked subsequently, I'm not sure how much weight can be put on it.

Against the weak reams in the group, the Pumas scored some cracking running tries from deep but they will not be afforded that space against ireland. I'm not underestimating Argentina, I just think we are a better team with a better coach.

They beat South Africa away from home also earlier this year. They are a good team, and the game will come down to how well we contain their pack and if we allow them freedom to run with the ball in the backs. They counter from pretty much anywhere and have solid goal kicking options.

With the decimation to our forwards we could struggle. I'd say if Argentina were in the 6N they would more often than not be top 3. They do suffer from inconsistency.

Thanks lads.

How is their scrum looking these days? Still a weapon?

They beat South Africa away from home also earlier this year. They are a good team, and the game will come down to how well we contain their pack and if we allow them freedom to run with the ball in the backs. They counter from pretty much anywhere and have solid goal kicking options.

With the decimation to our forwards we could struggle. I'd say if Argentina were in the 6N they would more often than not be top 3. They do suffer from inconsistency.

Yeah I agree with all of that. I'm not sure they will counter from deep as much as we saw the previous games but who knows. I'm really not too worried about the loss of POM and presumably SOB. I have the utmost faith in Henry and whoever else in the back row. O'Connell will be missed but our general play shouldn't suffer too much tbh. Like IBF said, Bosch missing for Argentina is as much a blow to them as any of the injured are to us.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

How is their scrum looking these days? Still a weapon?
    It's good yeah but I'd be confident we can get parity and that's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Mike Mac called up for POC according to the Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm not sure I'd put too much heed on any medical reports from the camp. I'll believe Sexton is fit when he jogs out on Sunday just before the anthems with a 10 on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

All these injuries will have really lowered the chances for surprise or debate around the team selection this week. The only real spot up for grabs is 1/17 and 16/in a suit. Of course there will be changes based on whether some people are available for selection, but once that has been established, the team picks itself. (I'm not considering 13 as up for debate anymore because there is basically no reason to cause even more disruption and Earls has done well).

I'd say the coaches might be including 13 in their discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I'd say the coaches might be including 13 in their discussions.

Possibly, and I wouldn't be upset to see any of the 3 starting on Sunday. I just think it's unlikely unless Earls is injured.

All these injuries will have really lowered the chances for surprise or debate around the team selection this week. The only real spot up for grabs is 1/17 and 16/in a suit. Of course there will be changes based on whether some people are available for selection, but once that has been established, the team picks itself. (I'm not considering 13 as up for debate anymore because there is basically no reason to cause even more disruption and Earls has done well).

There is probably a question around whether you start Ryan and move Henderson to 6.

I wouldn't do so myself but it's an option depending on what type of game plan joe wants to employ

I'm not sure I'd put too much heed on any medical reports from the camp. I'll believe Sexton is fit when he jogs out on Sunday just before the anthems with a 10 on his back.

Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement

There is probably a question around whether you start Ryan and move Henderson to 6.

I wouldn't do so myself but it's an option depending on what type of game plan joe wants to employ

I really doubt it. Henderson did great at 5, and we have backrows ready to come into the team/bench. We also need cover at lock on the bench, if you start Ryan and Hendo then who provides that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement