Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lycamobile Unlimited Calls Texts & Data (9Gb) for €20/month with double credit offer.

Options
  • 18-10-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Lycamobile Unlimited Calls, Texts and Data bundle is usually €29, but they have a double credit offer on now. So with this double credit offer you can buy the Unlimited bundle with just a €20 top up, and still have €11 to spend on international calls, etc ... Also works with 350 minute bundle, for example, top up by €10 and buy the €19 bundle.

Thanks to Kristopherus for posting this originally about the 350 minute bundle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Just an update on this. Lycamobile have extended the offer until 30/11/2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just an update on this. Lycamobile have extended the offer until 30/11/2012.

Problem as I see it is that for as long as Lycamobile persist in this "one month to the next" extension of offers people won't move to them as there is no certainty and most people don't want to be swapping providers regularly.

Let them extend an offer for 12 months and let people make a decision that has stability guaranteed for a decent period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Whats the network like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

on the O2 network I think

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Don't they have free calls between the network regardless of how much they top up by?

• Advertisement

Problem as I see it is that for as long as Lycamobile persist in this "one month to the next" extension of offers people won't move to them as there is no certainty and most people don't want to be swapping providers regularly.

Let them extend an offer for 12 months and let people make a decision that has stability guaranteed for a decent period.

Well if you look at their .co.uk site its much the same. I'm guessing its a marketing tactic to try to attract a decent market share if they can. Then we might see more long term plans.Certainly if they made their bundle offers permanent, they'd be on a winner imo.

They piggybank on the O2 network, so reception should not be a problem. I got a sim a month ago and I've been all over the place and had full bars everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Just so I get this right, Im on an O2 bundle @40e a month which only gives me 350mb per month. I regularly hit 50e+ on my bill due to data usage (very little voice and text). the next O2 package up @50e / month wont save me from this. ie, Ill still go over.

Am I right in saying that If I get a lyca sim, pop that into a cheapass phone at home which can generate a wifi field, I can tether my O2 iphone off that for data usage. The lyca phone has unlimited data usage for a 9e per month contract.

thoughts on that? I'm not worried about carrying extra phone around.

Just so I get this right, Im on an O2 bundle @40e a month which only gives me 350mb per month. I regularly hit 50e+ on my bill due to data usage (very little voice and text). the next O2 package up @50e / month wont save me from this. ie, Ill still go over.

Am I right in saying that If I get a lyca sim, pop that into a cheapass phone at home which can generate a wifi field, I can tether my O2 iphone off that for data usage. The lyca phone has unlimited data usage for a 9e per month contract.

thoughts on that? I'm not worried about carrying extra phone around.

Yep. There's no reason you can't do that unless O2 has blocked tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I suppose thats the trade off; if you're getting unlimited calls, texts, 9Gb data, plus an extra €11 to spend on international calls, all for €20. Its the best value available in terms of benefits per top-up.
    If they stop offering the double credit you can switch. Plus all the networks are now offering online number porting, so the switching process should be quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Has anybody tried this network. What is the data reception on it like.Is it 3g and will it allow tethering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I have tried this network and I am pleased with them.

I have 5 full bars of 3G, I am able to watch movies on my iPhone, I have also tethered it to my laptop.

With speedtest I have gotten speeds from .02mps to 2.15mps download speeds.
    0.02 is when I am at home, I have no problem with this as I use wifi when I am at home and also I have gotten **** 3g from all the networks.

Its cheap again that's why I use it, I topped up by 5e last week and I got 150min calls 500 txts and 9GB of internet. Beat that offer and I will give you 20e.

The only offer close to this is 48months which has a crap internet offer of 3GB.

This is a no brainer.

It looks like that they are doing double top ups in the month of november. Does this mean then that you were able to buy €5 top up, they gave you €5 and then you could buy the 9e bundle from this?

The reason I ask is because I know that some companies dont allow you to buy a bundle from the free credit you receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

kala85 wrote: »
    It looks like that they are doing double top ups in the month of november. Does this mean then that you were able to buy €5 top up, they gave you €5 and then you could buy the 9e bundle from this?

The reason I ask is because I know that some companies dont allow you to buy a bundle from the free credit you receive.

yes thats exactly what I did.

nice one . i wonder how long those offers will last??

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Don't they have free calls between the network regardless of how much they top up by?

Yes! They do have free calls and sms within their network if you have a minimum balance of 20 cents, at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

i signed up to them and i am awaiting a sim, my reasoning is, i would make at the most 10 short calls each week, no texts or data, this is costing me 20 a month, i can get the same from this crowd for about a fiver a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

flutered wrote: »
    i signed up to them and i am awaiting a sim, my reasoning is, i would make at the most 10 short calls each week, no texts or data, this is costing me 20 a month, i can get the same from this crowd for about a fiver a month.

You can get that for a fiver from anyone:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Fantastic offer for only €9.
    I don't think I would use much more than 150 minutes.

If the offer sticks around past the promotional period, I'll definitely be switching asap but I'm just after buying a new phone on o2 so that may be some time.

flutered wrote: »

You just need to have a minimum balance of 20 cents in your account, at the moment, to make free calls within Lyca; there is no need for a €5 recharge per month. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Some great deals on there alright, How long have they being going on for? is the double credit just for this month. That package for 9e is perfect for me.
    I picked up a sim today to test and check data speeds. It's a pity it only seems to be month on month with these plans otherwise i'd switch over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Some great deals on there alright, How long have they being going on for? is the double credit just for this month. That package for 9e is perfect for me.
    I picked up a sim today to test and check data speeds. It's a pity it only seems to be month on month with these plans otherwise i'd switch over.

The plans aren't month to month, just the double credit offer is. To be fair Tesco Mobile don't guarantee they'll continue offering double credit on top ups either:
    (f) Tesco Mobile reserves the right to withdraw the Double Value Credit offer generally and from any particular customer at any time or vary or amend any element of the promotion without further notice....

From reading the site it looks like for this month you just need to top up to get unlimited data and sms so that 9e bundle is only getting you the calls.
    Are the unlimited bundles always available?

From reading the site it looks like for this month you just need to top up to get unlimited data and sms so that 9e bundle is only getting you the calls.
    Are the unlimited bundles always available?

The €9 bundle INCLUDES unlimited texts & data as well as calls to any network in Ireland.

The €9 bundle INCLUDES unlimited texts & data as well as calls to any network in Ireland.

Have these bundles been around a while?

Have these bundles been around a while?

I'm with them only since early October. I think those bundles first came out in Sept. Hopefully they'll last to next Sept.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lovephones

Anyone know where you can buy a lycamobile sim, I've ordered one online but says it takes 7 days and looking for one soon so I don't have to top up on Thursday and waste the month

Lovephones wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can buy a lycamobile sim, I've ordered one online but says it takes 7 days and looking for one soon so I don't have to top up on Thursday and waste the month

Well it took mine a week to arrive, but then a friend ordered one online last week on Monday and had it on Wednesday. I hope you are in the same boat as him:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I ordered mine on saturday and it came today. Haven't had a proper chance to test it yet, I don't want to port my number over if the reception is bad, but I loaded up a few websites and the data seems plenty fast. Youtube did have to pause to buffer but I'd rarely use that out and about.

Can't argue with the price anyway, topped up €5 online, they doubled it so I got the €9 bundle.

Lovephones wrote: »
    The website says sims are available in Centra, Gala, Supervalu, etc., but some stores may not sell it nor they know about Lyca at all. So, if you are specific about which city, someone may tell the exact shop. Like, I know few shops in Cork City who sell the sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Is this similar to the tesco network on, ie limited to 3g speeds or is it full HSDPA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement