Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options
  • 25-02-2012 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All,

We're planning on heading to Canada via the IEC in 2013 for the year, hubby myself and kids - our big adventure!

I want kids to start school at beginning of term, so I'm thinking arriving in June/July is best to allow us time to settle in too.

Obviously we have lots to sort out as kids need study visas along with our own working visas so I want to give ourselves plenty of time with our applications in case there's any problems with paper work etc.

If there are visas remaining, I was thinking of applying this year, around end of April. 8 weeks processing time would mean, if accepted, that we should get letter by end June. From what I understand, this would allow us a year to enter Canada, which would fit in our timeframe.

Am I being naive in my plans!!? Is there a cut off point for applications in 2012, even if visas are remaining? Should I just wait until the 2013 visas are invited in Dec/Jan?

I guess I'm anxious to get it all started so it feels more real, but don't want to feck it all up either!!

Any advice or experience appreciated - thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Not sure but I think someone said Visa's should still be available almost up until November...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

just be wary too...my year to activate my visa last year was dated from when it was received in London and not the final acceptance...therefore I wouldnt reccomend applying in April this year (as it may not be valid for June of the following year) -

I would either wait until after June/July to apply or just wait until next year altogether...alot can happen in year and no point wasting the visa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 canadia

Thanks for the replies. Will probably work on getting all my documentation together and apply when 2013 opens - as you say, a lot can happen in a year! All going well, we'd like to apply for a 2nd year so don't want to waste it. Just hard to keep the feet on the ground now that it's decided :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnymilo

hi.did you apply for visa after ?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

EDIT: Wow, should really look at dates before posting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from defunct US/ Canada Travel forum to newly created Canada forum ***

• Registered Users Posts: 19 slaine27

the 2012 program is closed and the 2013 program isnt open yet, i would say you would be better going for permanent landed residency, with you having a family and all, you would qualify no prbs,, was there a couple weeks ago, and talked a little with a immigration officer in Calgary, family's looking to go over should apply for PLR as the government beleives familys will settle in canada , once one of you can get a job it should be ok, families and high valued job seekers like Dr's etc, apply this way

the IEC is for a working holiday program i dont think they expect families to apply through this, anyway check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Looks like future IEC visas will be for 2 years...

Dont know if "by 2014" means that the length change will also be happening then, or before that

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Taken from the go4less Facebook page this evening:

"Breaking News ** Canadian Working Holiday Visa 2013 will open early Jan with 6350 visas! The Visa Programme is also extended to TWO YEARS !! So once your visa is granted you can stay up to 2 years without having to re-apply for a visa :-) More news to follow. Join the Go4less mailing list for the most updated information."

Exciting news... I wonder will the 18 month rule still apply next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

Ok this is probably not a question but I am following this forum all the time, now that I've decided to move to Vancouver I absolutely can not wait and am counting down the time until I can go! I have my passport in for renewal and my garda clearance requested.
    I reckon the visa application for IEC will open January, and so will skilled migrant. I think I might have enough points to get a skilled migrant one, so would that be better than IEC? Can I apply for both and see which I get?

Realistically it will probably be March before I get my visa back but when I do I'm heading off straight away :-)
    All on my todd, I reckon it will just add to the adventure :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ENNE

Hi all,
    Me My husband and 2 year old daughter really want to go to Canada in January 2013 on the IEC. Is there confirmation that it will be now for 2 years as opposed to 2 one year visas.
    Also my husband has a drink driving conviction from 2003. I have been looking at the Canada.ga website and it says this is an inadmissable offence to Canada. It is over 5 years since he has been back on the road.
    Any information would be really appreciated as I cannot find information on what to do or how to fill up forms and when I call the office in London they wont give me any answers and say all the information is on the website.
    We want to apply as soon as the IEC 2013 becomes available but am so worried now that the conviction will disqualify us from getting the VISA.
    Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Zoe2011

Hi all...

Just like everyone, my husband and me are thinking that emigrating will be the best option for us. We have a 10 months old baby.

Any ideas how much would a tiler would made in Canada???

Would it be worth it to go??

What type of visas are available and how much money should we bring with us?

If we are married should he go first and then me/baby??

We are just a bit confused...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭archicraft

The best way to ascertain what the typical or average wage of a tiler in Canada is, is to spend time searching on relevant job or posting sites like craigslist to weight up the average(ive attached a comprehensive guide which contains many other job sites & agencies).

Visas available are: the temporary work ,which is for 4 years & is employer specific or IEC (international experience Canada) as of 2013 will be for 2 years & is not employer specific

make sure you check out the CIC web site. You need to take your time & navigate the site correctly, everything you need to know is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭archicraft

ENNE wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Me My husband and 2 year old daughter really want to go to Canada in January 2013 on the IEC. Is there confirmation that it will be now for 2 years as opposed to 2 one year visas.
    Also my husband has a drink driving conviction from 2003. I have been looking at the Canada.ga website and it says this is an inadmissable offence to Canada. It is over 5 years since he has been back on the road.
    Any information would be really appreciated as I cannot find information on what to do or how to fill up forms and when I call the office in London they wont give me any answers and say all the information is on the website.
    We want to apply as soon as the IEC 2013 becomes available but am so worried now that the conviction will disqualify us from getting the VISA.
    Thanks for any info.

Quick question enne, did he apply for his garda clearance cert yet ? Reason I’m asking is that they may not even put it on the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ben2026

Hi all
    Myself and my gf are planning on moving to Canada in the summer of next year. Does anyone know when the 2013 IEC application forms will be available. Also, we are pretty flexible on where we will relocate to at this stage so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Well ben they should be available at start of dec but the iec wont open till jan 2013:D..visas this year are vailid up to 24months which is great:D..its best to off to go in to ur local gardai station this week and fill get ur clearance form:D..thinking calgary meself seems to be a lot of work it all really depends what field of work your in:D

Thanks for reply justross. I was thinking Calgary as well, i currently work in factory but there's not much work any more. Just hope there is jobs available for someone outside of the construction industry in canada. Thanks for advice on garda clearance form i will get that sorted asap

i see a lot of warehouse jobs advertised check craigslist calgary or seek or kijji :D if you could get experience on a forklift you would probs pick up a job quicker most unskilled labour jobs in cons are 20 doller an hour and anthing from 50 to 80 hours a wek.so the chance to make a quick buck is possible. its better to go and to try i think then to be left to rot on the dole with nothing to look forward to ..thats y iam heading:D

That is my reasons also. Thanks for the advice on the job seeking websites. Do you think it would be ok to arrive in canada without a job offer. Thats my plan anyway, to arrive out and hopefully find some form of general labour work like factory, warehouse or labouring

• Advertisement

Thats what iam doing bud i will be arriveing with no job offer i will be willing to work at anthing just to tie me over but would hope to get a job in maybe the electricial field or even as a labour in fort mcmurry in the oil sands. crazy mulla and crazy hours usually 80 hour a weeks 21 days on 7 off its a camp job they will house and feed you for free and fly you back to either calgary or edmonton for your 7 days off so the chance is really there for a hard worker to make a fortune in a short time:D.. most of the big oil companys are based in calgary and edmonton:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

These two websites are good http://www.moving2canada.com/ and http://workingholidayincanada.com/blog/?p=171 should help with most things ie info about visas and once over there

Thanks for that, just trying to gather as much info as possible

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Well ben they should be available at start of dec but the iec wont open till jan 2013:D..visas this year are vailid up to 24months which is great:D..its best to off to go in to ur local gardai station this week and fill get ur clearance form:D..thinking calgary meself seems to be a lot of work it all really depends what field of work your in:D

For the Garda cert, is it an actual form you fill out at the station or do you write up a letter asking for a cert? I found this on citizensinformation.ie but its not really clear:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/police_certificate.html

Hey mate i think the gardai stations can vary:D i went in and asked for a clearance form and they gave me one just has ur name addres dob and where you were born. fill it out and leave it back in i left mine in on a saterday and had it the following week:D

I just got my garda clearance form today, its basically one page to fill out it looks pretty straight forward. The garda told me to return it to the station and bring a stamped envelope with my address on it and they would post it out to me when it is ready

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

ben2026 wrote: »
    I just got my garda clearance form today, its basically one page to fill out it looks pretty straight forward. The garda told me to return it to the station and bring a stamped envelope with my address on it and they would post it out to me when it is ready

Ye i had to do that last time i got one alldo this time they dident ask for a stamped envelope, you allso need copie of your birthcert and passport and just need to fill out basic info thats the way it was in my local of coolock dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Guys, just checking I filled in the correct clearance form. I asked at the garda station in Limerick, and I filled it in there, gave him a passport photo, stamped addressed envelope. I just had to fill in my details, my address, where I lived before, and that the form was for the purposes of entering Canada. I think that's it? He said it would take 2 to 3 weeks.

I did not get asked for a copy of my birth cert of passport.

What do I do now? When I get it back what do I do? Is it a case of filling in the forms, and crossing the fingers at the beginning of January?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Guys, just checking I filled in the correct clearance form. I asked at the garda station in Limerick, and I filled it in there, gave him a passport photo, stamped addressed envelope. I just had to fill in my details, my address, where I lived before, and that the form was for the purposes of entering Canada. I think that's it? He said it would take 2 to 3 weeks.

I did not get asked for a copy of my birth cert of passport.

What do I do now? When I get it back what do I do? Is it a case of filling in the forms, and crossing the fingers at the beginning of January?

Ye bud it thats about it.it can vary with stations i left mine in on a saterday and had it the following week..what u do now is like all us of us just wait:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

My luck now, that I won't get the flamin Visa!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement