Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

Options
  • 11-01-2012 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Well here it is the third installment of my training logs, here are the other two for anybody interested:

Keen to see what the future may hold
    Swim, bike, run...if only it were that simple!

Five Year Plan

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans" - Woody Allen.
    I am very aware of this quotes but I still feel it's important for one to get where they want they need to have some sort of a plan. So this is my (rough) five year plan:

Year 1 Olympic/Sprint
    Year 2 Olympic/Sprint
    Year 3 HIM
    Year 4 HIM
    Year 5 IM

So that might dispel the usual talk at the end of each season regarding the following seasons goals :) So according to this I will be 35 when I try my first Ironman event, that will mean I have 7 years of triathlon under my belt.

My Reasoning and Some Hopes and Dreams

Well I feel I haven't reached my potential at sprint/olympic yet and I would like to do that before moving on. This will also provide me with a solid base for moving up in distance, so it's about a progression, however life may/will dictate what actually happens over the next few years.

The main reason is trying to reach my potential, put simply I guess I want to get as close as possible to 1 hour for a sprint triathlon (currently 1:04) and as close as possible to 2:05 for an olympic (currently 2:10). It's to do with an obsession for speed and getting faster. Another thing that would occupy time in my mind is wondering what it would feel like to actually win a race, to be no. 1, to break the tape and have a title to defend the following year. Only a tiny tiny percent of people will ever experience that feeling and I want in on that club. There are a few on here that are in the winning club so some day, some day, who knows? I started thinking like this at the end of 2010, I'd even make myself every medal ceremony going just to keep me motivated! It works. Every time I see others getting presented with medals (or whatever) it makes me want it even more :) Now in 2011 I did podium once and I was walking on a cloud for the rest of that week, even though it wasn't a NS race, still I was battling it out with the best of the west and it gave me great self belief. This is just me and my hopes. I have great respect for anybody who just decides to get off there couch and get out there and do something, anything and indeed I am very supportive of many of those people in my everyday life and try to help them where possible.

The biggest motivation is however to do with the title of my log. Drunk and hardly even able to see my computer screen, on the 26th of June I was already googling and searching for ways to get a faster run - I'd need this if I was to get what I really wanted - a European AG Champ Medal. I think I have stated before that I would not go to these AG champs again unless I thought I was in with a good chance of getting a medal. Now when I sat down with my coach in Sept and stated my goal it was met with a raised eyebrow but I went onto explain why I thought the goal was attainable. Last year in Pontevedra I raced the wrong race. I was poised for a great sprint race but I was in the olympic distance race. It only dawned on me about 2 weeks before the race I realised that I had no prep for a 10km run, whereas I just PB'd in a 5k after about 3 weeks of speed work on the track. Then looking back at the sprint distance times I am very sure I would have finished 5th or 6th in my AG (half my oly time and minus 1 min). Coach seemed to come around to what I was saying but interjected with "you need to be faster at everything". Of course he is right, it ain't just about my running.

Ok, and what if I fail? Well then I fail, no problem. At least I will have tried something special. The worst that could happen? I become the best triathlete I can be along the way - cool, I'll take that as a consolation :cool:

So there I was, 2am, Linda fast asleep, we had been out with the Irish team and I was searching... Even when I was out that night I wasn't in the moment, all I could think about is how do I get one of those medals. It was that night that my heart went out of my second A race of the season - Galway 70.3. Although I enjoyed that experience I was just mad for the winter so I could get my head down and get on with the training. SO why not the Euro's 2012? I wouldn't be ready and it's on too early in the year and in Israel :eek: (much as I'd love to visit that country). SO I am giving myself plenty of time. As far as I am concerned 2012 is about experimenting, getting consistent with training, strengthening my weaknesses and getting up there domestically - try to break into top 10 of NS races. As far as I am concerned my next A race is in Turkey on the 14th of June 2013 :) For the purpose of this year I have picked races to peak at so I can practice the art of peaking (my first peak will be roughly around the same time of year as ETU 2013).

So for this season...

2012 Season

Now to discuss my races, goals and objectives for 2012.

Races

Races 2012

Jan Sun 15th

Tuam AC 8k Already a race gone due to knee

Feb Sat 18th

Ballinrobe Duathlon

Mar Sun 18th

MSB Paddy Weekend 5k

April Sat 21st

Sportsman Duathlon

May Sat 12th

Valentia island Sprint (NS+NC)

June Sun 3rd

TriAthy Sprint (NS) A Race

June Sat 9th

Crooked Lake (NS) A Race

Then 5-6 days Euro 2012

June 20th Weds

Bray Aqua

June 23rd Sat

HOTW (just love this race and a good mate is coming home from Oz to race it)

So the A races: TriAthy Sprint, Crooked Lake Triathlon and Blacksod (Sept).

Goals

I guess my goals are simple. Try to prepare as best I can, be committed and consistent, for my A races. Then try to execute the race plan as best as I can and have a feeling after the race that I couldn't have pushed or tried harder.

Objectives

Swim

400m TT sub 6:10 (6:34 set last June)
    1,000m TT sub 17

Bike

20k TT sub 29min
    40k TT sub 61min

Run

Run a sub 17:30 5k by years end (currently 18:14)
    Let 4:20/km be my easy pace by years end (currently 4:30-4:40/km)

Limiters

After last season I identified 2 limiters:

Weight and Diet

I was too heavy and big for what I wanted to do. Already I am well on my way to fixing that. Just before christmas I was 76.3kg- lowest since I was a teen! More about losing weight it has to be about reducing body fat and gaining/maintaining lean muscle. Now I am sure I've lost muscle since Sept but with the big gear work and buoy and band/paddle work I think I will gain lean muscle that is more geared toward triathlon. That along with core work and working on my weakness should see a different shaped El D for this season :)

Helping me do all of this is Matt Fitzgeralds "Racing Weight". The foods I now eat are of a higher quality and I've learned the importance of eating the right type of food and the right time. I've also learned to plan my diet with the next session/or two in mind. Over christmas however all bets were off ;)

Consistency

I felt I had to be more consistent with training as well and if this meant less racing and more training then so be it. Since going with the coach my consistency has really improved making 97%+ of sessions.

Where I am Right Now

Much better shape now than this time last year :rolleyes: 10kg lighter and still more to come off, so I feel I am starting 2012 with a head start.

Swim Although I have no TT's I do feel that I am a better and faster swimmer already than the end of last season. The drills I am doing are really helping and as the season draws closer I am sure I will add the extra bit of speed needed for a 750m swim.

Bike I've done one FTP test but the numbers that came from that cannot be trusted although I am working the HR numbers that came from it. So I'm not too sure where I stand currently but one thing I can say for sure is that my quad size has noticeably increased :P so maybe.... I'll see how I feel in my first duathlon in Feb.

Run Well I was only 2 months with the coach, a lot of easy running and some fast and build work, that coupled with the weight loss and i knocked over 30 sec off my 5k PB time! That was before christmas and I have certainly gone back a bit since, that doesn't worry me as it was christmas and all that goes with that. What does worry me is this IT problem. More on that during the week when I confirm it as an actual IT problem.

For those who think I am a dreamer (which I am ;))

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

So now the hard work begins, here goes....520 days to go :)

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11657

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Good luck with the training and the log chief
    Btw - "Crooked Lake (NS) A Race" - I see sub 60 for sprint distance right there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Oh to be young enough to have a 5 year plan.............

Best of luck with this, I forsee many podium places in your future young man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Good luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Worth waiting for! :cool:

Best of luck with the goals. Lofty goals but heh if you don't try you'll never know. I believe you have the right work ethic and with the right coaching I don't see why you can't achieve those goals.

Hope the physio session went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Thats oddly similar to my plans for the year, with concentrating on getting faster this year, with a late Summer 2013 main goal.

Best of luck with it. Nothing wrong with lofty ambitions. Its something to picture in your mind during the hard times, like when your legs are on fire and your arse is in bits after 80minutes on the turbo. No? Just me then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Galway Cope with better weather also should get you under the hour - although I dont know if it is even being run this year. You stopped your event list in June - are the following months open to change. Good luck with the training!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice one El D! Fair play to you too for pushing the Coach on his stall. Lofty Goals and I feel we only have a taster :)

Best of luck and health.

Quick question, what are the QF races for Turkey as I'm interested in that myself? (I can't access most of the TI site at work)

Quick question, what are the QF races for Turkey as I'm interested in that myself? (I can't access most of the TI site at work)

I'm open to correction on this but I believe they havent been selected yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Excellent stuff ElD, lofty goals for sure but with your work ethic and attitude there is no reason why these goals are not attainable.
    I have my own 5 year plan as well albeit over Long Distance and hopefully ending with me getting to wear a grass hula skirt at some stage:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck. I know where you're coming re watching medal presentations. No reason it can't be you or anyone else here. Hard work is required that's all, that's what gets you on the podium. Not lofty in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

The blockbuster we have all been waiting for.

Best of luck El D. No reason why you can't achieve your goals. You are focused and have a great attitude to training and racing.

I hope the recent injury set back is your one and only on your road to the Euro's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks guys :)

@Interested sub 60? I'd love it but perhaps not this year. Really have to work on transitions to have them perfect for that. Have you done it before dude? Flat, fast course?

@grif100 thanks dude, certainly hope you are right! It won't be from a lack of trying and if it's to be, if not then at least I tried. Don't want regrets nor do I want to be one who thought a target was out of reach so never bothered trying and then belittled that target. A bitter old man...it wouldnt sit well with me :)

@BTH Can you spill the beans on that late summer 2013 target? I tell you one thing, I'd be extremely interested in a log by you. Getting on with things nice and quiet, I'm sure there is big things for you if you continue with it.

@CW Just finalising what to do after June but Blacksod is in Sept and is A race number 3. That a tough one but a great challenge. Cope was to be A race no. 2 but not on the calendar. However I was talking to Seb (race organiser) he says it is going ahead but in July. Sub 60 there would be very very difficult IMO. A sea swim, and costal bike and run-almost always windy. In saying that it is one of my fav courses.

@MCOS thanks dude. The qualification races have not been decided as of yet, I am keeping an eye out for them but I will prob just ply based on NS points and should get it no probs (I hope).

Again thanks guys, I know a lot of back slapping goes on here sometimes but it is nice to have support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

However I was talking to Seb (race organiser) he says it is going ahead but in July. Sub 60 there would be very very difficult IMO. A sea swim, and costal bike and run-almost always windy. In saying that it is one of my fav courses.

Balls July is getting too close to Swinford for me, he will be going up against the Aquathon as well then more than likely. Theres an early race by Tri Lakes in Cong in May (The Quiet Man Triathlon) - that cold water will kill the fillings in my teeth but I may have to look at that instead. Although running through the Ashford castle grounds will be nice. An Ashford Castle visit was always early in the rotation for courting in my playboy days :D

You did a 1.04 in a hurricane the last time!

catweazle wrote: »
    Balls July is getting too close to Swinford for me, he will be going up against the Aquathon as well then more than likely. Theres an early race by Tri Lakes in Cong in May (The Quiet Man Triathlon) - that cold water will kill the fillings in my teeth but I may have to look at that instead. Although running through the Ashford castle grounds will be nice. An Ashford Castle visit was always early in the rotation for courting in my playboy days :D

You did a 1.04 in a hurricane the last time!

It's actually Cope who decide when the tri is run, Seb just organises it for them afaik. Tom O Dowd, the winner, did 1:04, I did 1:07 :)

@Interested sub 60? I'd love it but perhaps not this year. Really have to work on transitions to have them perfect for that. Have you done it before dude? Flat, fast course?

I went 1.04 there a few years back, splits were 9.53, 30.18, 20.57 respectively. Its a fast course alright ;) but is arguably short in *ahem* one or two spots imho. As I said, I see sub 60 for you there this year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

interested wrote: »
    but is arguably short in *ahem* one or two spots imho. As I said, I see sub 60 for you there this year. ;)

Hah, yes. IIRC the bike is about 17km and the run 4.2

@BTH Can you spill the beans on that late summer 2013 target? I tell you one thing, I'd be extremely interested in a log by you. Getting on with things nice and quiet, I'm sure there is big things for you if you continue with it.

I have considered it, but I'm not sure. I don't think Interested would appreciate the weekly bad mouthing he would receive if I did start a log, and I dont know how he would feel about his training secrets broadcast so publically.

Tipping along nicely, although I do feel a bit behind where I should be running wise. As for summer 2013, whats the hurry....;)

I have considered it, but I'm not sure. I don't think Interested would appreciate the weekly bad mouthing he would receive if I did start a log, and I dont know how he would feel about his training secrets broadcast so publically.

Please feel free to publish the sets I provide on Monday evenings chief. Ive absolutely no secrets when it comes to publishing training approaches. What works for one person may not work for another - and then there's the 'coach' factor - having someone watching your log or on the bank of a swimming pool is arguably more beneficial since we're all human and need ... well ... encouragement/public humiliation from time to time. Congrats on the promotion by the way.

interested wrote: »
    Congrats on the promotion by the way.

Bad news travels fast......

Bad news travels fast......

I sent an email at 3.13 yesterday afternoon guessing that one ;) The People's Choice. Enjoy. So anyway ... now that Im not preventing you from logging your training and all ..... ;)

• Advertisement

Well time to put some actual training in this training log. Despite being a week of uncertainy, almost no running and a physio visit I still got quite a bit done.

Monday 9th Jan

Very unusual for me to feel tired in the morning swim, I'm usually well up for it. So struggled a bit. The fast 50's at the start were coming in on 43/44. The easy/steady 200's were c.3:40. The 100 mod - 1:38/40. The fast 50's dropped off a bit from earlier in the session to 48/50.

Dist 2,400m
    Time 1:10

Weakness/rolling/stretching

Time 0:35min

Tues 10th Jan

Felt much more like myself this morning and got myself into a busy lane were I know they are serious triathletes, there for one reason only-train. This helped to push me more. The NAC back to 50m format. 50 descend: 50, 49, 46, 45. The 100's: 1:51, 1:51, 1:52, 1:50, 1:49. The fast 50's at the end: 46, 46, 47, 48. An enjoyable session and feeling better about the swimming. The more I spend in the pool the better I feel.

Time 1:10
    Dist 2,200m

Weakness/rolling/stretching/core

Time 1:00

Weds 11th Jan

Stretches and physio - reckons it ain't that bad and i have really strengthened things up since last he saw of me. Gave me stretches to do 3/4 times a day and said to go for a run this weekend, it should be fine if not come back in and he will work it some more. If I do have to come back he would prefer me to be in a state of fatigue so hour run then come in. Weak glutes could b a cause as well as country roads (running were the road falls off to the left/right). Swimming and cycling is no harm at all.

Time 1:20

Thurs 12th Jan

Bike/turbo - Only got in 40 min, ave cad was 93. No problem from knee. Enjoyable, thank god I can still do some biking and swimming or I'd be seriously depressed.

Time 40min
    Dist 17km

Weakness/rolling/stretching/core

Time 1:30

Fri 13th Jan

16x 50 as in (4x 50sw/4x 50bc) X 2 off 10 sec rest. Then 5x 300sw off 6min: 5:33/5:40/5:41/5:25/5:18 took 3 sets until I go the pace right, next time coach says I should be taking them off 5:35/5:40. 3x 100k off 1:30. Then 200bc. First time down at the club since before Christmas and I enjoyed it, always a great atmosphere there, a strong work ethic that rubs off.

Time 1:15
    Dist 2,800m

Rolling/stretching/weakness

Time 1:00

Sat 15th Jan The 3 Counties Spin - West Version

One of those lovely winter mornings in the west. This was an easy spin as I did not want to stress the knee, therefore I wasn't too concerned about HR zone. After 10k I felt fine and hit lap to split the spin to see if I could ease into Z2, easy. I did and even some steady effort too. The second hour the HR went up, the speed down and cadence down, I'd say this was more because of the strong enough head wind I had in my face. A lovely day to be out, it had been over a month since I was outside cycling. I really want to get out there every weekend more consistently from now on every weekend. I feel my biking should be better and it will be if I can add this long outdoor cycle EVERY weekend. More detail here

Time 2:30
    Dist 64km

Stretch/rolling

Time 20min

Sun 15th Jan

Another lovely day. A lot better than last sunday's 30 min test. Started off very very easy in Z1. I just kept concentrating on form which I must do more often because my form felt great. My fitness however-thats a different story. But first things first, I came through this with no issues and for the last 7 min I pushed on a bit, into high easy, Z2, effort. Very happy but still very cautious and not fully confident yet and I won't be until I have a week r two of easy running under my belt. So easy as we go for now. More detail here

Time 30min
    Dist 6.24km

Stretch/rolling

Time 20min

Base 3 Week 1 Summary

09 Jan-15 Jan|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|13|13:10|94.81
    Swimming|3|03:25|7.4
    Cycling|2|03:10|81.01
    Running|1|00:30|6.4
    Strenth/Core|7|06:05|N/A

Steady As She Goes - Cautious Week - That goes for bike as well as run.

Mon Morn 16th Jan

Plan NAC LC Coach Prescribed Session
    Plan NAC LC Coach Prescribed Session

NAC LC: I like to swim in the lane next to the NUIM guys and Ire development Squad, why? Well it pushes me a bit more and I get glimpses at their form. I noticed one girl while doing kick set and she was practically "on" the water...know what I mean? She seemed to be gliding over it kind of, if that makes sense? So anyway I tried it and I got the sensation, I just made myself feel "taller" in the water, hard to explain but it did feel better.

Main Set - 150m as in 50 fast/100 cruise, 20 sec rest then 50 fast

Set 1:150m - 2:43, 50m - 0:44;
    Set 2: 150m - 2:37, 50m - 0:45;
    Set 3: 150m - 2:44, 50m - 0:43.

Fast 50's: 45, 47, 48, 45. Well felt good but times not great and can do better I think.

Time 0:50
    Dist 2,200m

Cannot wait to have more metics when it comes to swimming. 910xt is on it's way from the US anytime soon :)

Rolling/Stretching/Weakness

Time 0:30

Mon Eve 16th Jan

Plan 1hr Turbo Easy
    Actual 1hr Turbo Easy

Steady as she goes this week. The 3 different HR readings are because I eased into this. I upped it slightly every 20 min and felt fine in Z2 for the last 20.

HR 109(94/116/127); SPEED 26.1km/h; CAD 92; WATT 177

Time 1hr
    Dist 26.1km

Body Composition Monitoring

Weight

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11719

Body Fat %

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11720

Muscle Mass

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=11721

Well despite Christmas and injury my weight and BF% are still fine and downward or at least the same for the last two weeks. Now keeping a closer eye on muscle mass as I want to ensure that it's fat, not lean muscle that I am losing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cannot wait to have more metics when it comes to swimming. 910xt is on it's way from the US anytime soon :)

Nice. Let us know how it works out. No need for me to upgrade from the 310 but I like shiny gadgets.

Nice. Let us know how it works out. No need for me to upgrade from the 310 but I like shiny gadgets.

I will. My 305 is no longer so I was due an upgrade - cannot wait :)

Tues Morn 17th Jan

Stretch/Rolling/Core/Weakness

Time 1hr

Tues Eve 17th Jan

Plan 30 min easy run
    Actual 31 min easy run

Well still being very cautious so disregarded my HR zones for the first 20 min. For the last 10 min I got into my easy zone (on Sunday I only spent the last 7 min in my easy zone). So I think I will try to get into easy zone for 20 min or perhaps 15 next on the next run - Thurs. So 2 runs down and so far so good.

First 21 min: Hr 133; Pace 4:51/km; Dist 4.4km:
    Last 7 min: Hr 150; Pace 4:37/km; Dist 2.08km:

I have to admit here though that it is depressing that I am back to roughly the same level of fitness as I was Oct 3rd when I started this journey. I do remind myself however that it only took 2 months of (90%) easy running to get me to near sub 18 5k shape. I have 4.5 months to my first A race. Just hope I have no more set backs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You'll bounce back very quickly. I generally find it takes about 2 to 3 weeks and its like nothing happened. It certainly wont take months

Good swim this AM??

Good swim this AM??

I really did - where were you???

Weds Morn 18th Jan

Stretch/Roll/Weakness

Time 0:25

Plan NAC LC: Coach Prescribed Session
    Actual NAC LC: Coach Prescribed Session

6x 50sw, 1-3 (des): 54/54/49; 4-6 (fast): 46/47/48.

Main Set, 200p steady/100sw mod-hard/2x 50 fast;

Set 1: 3:40/1:45/0:49/0:45;
    Set 2: 3:43/1:42/0:48/0:48;
    Set 3: 3:33/1:45/0:49/0:49;
    Set 4: 3:51/1:51/0:51/0:51.

So set 4 was considerable slower all round, I'm sure more of this and that will became better as I get fitter. Really enjoyed the session.

Time 1:15
    Dist 3,100m

I really did - where were you???

I was two lanes over from you. That band around your arm is a big give-away.

how was your swim? you seeme to be going well, doing plenty of metres anyway. Ya the band is a give away alright, I find it very difficult to recognise others while in their swim gear!

• Advertisement

how was your swim? you seeme to be going well, doing plenty of metres anyway. Ya the band is a give away alright, I find it very difficult to recognise others while in their swim gear!

Good swim alright although my lane was a little more crowded than yours. Getting a solid 3 swims a week. Was keeping an eye out for a club mate I met last Wednesday morning when I spotted you. Usually in a world of my own in the pool.

Advertisement