Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keen to see what the future may hold!

Options
  • 18-02-2010 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Well I've decided to keep a log then. Thought it would be cool to look back this time next year just to see what i was thinking, doing, hoping for and where it got me. Also felt it would be nice to get my thoughts on paper as it were, and give my girlfriend a break from listening to me go on!

I got into triathlon last year, mainly because a friend of mine had been doing them for 7 years and he loved it! He regularly finishes in the top 25% and higher in tri's, he to me, is the carrot on the stick. Perhaps this year i will finish added of him hehe!

I always wanted to be able to swim properly so i decided to put that right first and if it went well then i'd add cycling and running. I had done some road runs previously and i had and still was playing junior soccer. Loved the soccer and the lads, grew up playing with them and had been playin with the team since i was 17. However i was always a little envious of my friends that played handball (big in the village im from!). Envious in the sense that they only had themselves to rely on. I found with the soccer that only a few of us were committed, the rest just went with the flow. I wanted to win something! We eventually did and i got that monkey off my back.

It was then i started to think of doin a triathlon, and i did. Last may, tri limits sprint in dungannon. I finished in a time of 1 hr 19 min, 4 mins behind my mate. I was buzzing that day! I loved it. I had only planned on one but i ended up doing 10. 4 of those were National Series and upon advice from my friend i applied for a place on the Ire age group team for Athlone 2010. I got my place, i was so delighted and really looking forward to that this year.

Even before i got my place on the team i had decided that i really want to push on in 2010 and improve. This lead me to my second posting on boards, here it is....http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055645249 I got loads of great advise from there. When i look back now (and it was only 6 months ago!) i see how naive my "plan" was! I intend to go back to this thread in Sept 2010 to tell people just "how much one can improve"

So here is what i did...

1) Got the Tri Training Bible (well the girlfriend did!)
    2) Read it from cover to cover (i now know what periodization is!)
    3) Bought a Turbo Trainer
    4) Decided to do two sessions a day 5 days a week
    5) Read as much as possible and listen to others.
    6) Ordered a TT bike (Giant Trinity 0, god bless cycle to work scheme!)

I found that endurance was my big limiter, becomes very apparent in my runs.
    Here are my Season Goals:

1) Obtain 650 points-Top 20 in Age Groups
    2) Finish in the top 30% in Hell of the West 2010
    3) Finish in the top 30% in the Euro Champs Age Group

Here are my Training Objectives:

1) Do a 20k TT in under 32 mins
    2) Feel stronger climbing hills by May
    3) Run a 90 min half marathon
    4) Run a 45 min 10k in a triathlon

My A races are:

1) Hell of the West
    2) Euro Champs Age Group 2010
    3) Half Iron man* (Kenmare or Groomsport)

So I started Base 1 on Mon the 18th of Jan.

Monday Swim (Technique)/Turbo (Delboys Intervals, thanks delboy!)
    Tuesday Weights/Run (Liffy Valley AC)
    Wednesday Swim (with coach)/Turbo
    Thursday Weights/Run (Liffy Valley AC)
    Friday Swim (with coach)/Long easy run, 1hr 30min(ish)
    Saturday Cycle (with Swords CC)
    Sunday Rest/Race (every second week or so)

It was going quite well until I got an infection in my wisdom tooth last week, so no training. This week was scheduled as a rest/easy week, so we booked into a nice hotel in Cavan to relax (the joys of being a teacher on mid term!). So Base one was 3 weeks and i've now had 2 weeks rest :mad: o well i just have to adapt, these things happen. Also only got out once for my long cycle on Saturdays for one reason or another. I hope this chances, i am confident it will. I have also decided to keep the competitive edge by doing one mountain run and one duathlon per month (Jan to April) This will also break up any boredom and keep me motivated. The idea of the mountain runs is to toughen me up because the Hell of the West and Beast of the East were like hell on earth for me last summer.

So this week (scheduled rest week) i did an easy spin on sunday on the turbo (by the way i love my turbo, i get a chance to catch up on box sets, Lost season 5 at the mo)

An easy 7 k this morning, 4:50/km pace.

Anyway here goes logging, i hope to update it every evening.......all constructive criticisim/feedback welcome, that is if anyone will read this!

*Haven't decided on HIM yet, going to wait and see how i feel, not pushed yet on doing long distance tri's, this is only my second year after all and im not in it just to do it, i want decent times too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck with it Director, my wifes a teacher too, I sometimes wish I could have her hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks Catweazle, i must admit the teaching does give time to train especially during the summer. Finishing at 3:45 each day helps to especially during the winter, still have a couple of hours of day light.

Did the same easy 7 k this morn, 4:53/km pace. Feeling very sluggish, i am putting it down to the inactivity for 10 days.

Glad i've decided to do a bit this week before Base 2 starts next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great to see another tri log. The best of luck with the training. So does this mean we can correct your spelling? lol.

What plan are you following?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice one El Director good man starting a log. If there were more jobs going I'd consider teaching myself so I could skirt off to the hotter parts of the world for longer that 10 days :rolleyes:

Good solid goals you have there too. What AG are you?

BTW I started doing hillrunning once a week with the IMRA types around may and continued util I fell on a descent in July (haven't been back yet) but I can definitely say they helped me for sure at Kilkee and at Carna where the runs were very hilly and very tough.

Best of luck for the season and I'll see you in Athlone :)

Feel free to correct my spelling Macanri lol. I do have a touch of dyslexia actually, thats why I'm a maths/science teacher I guess!

I designed my own training plan based on the guidelines in the Triathletes Training Bible, the bible is quick to point out that no one training plan will fit all, you have to work it around your own circumstances.

I'm in the 25-29 AG Shotgunmcos, are you on the team also? What AG? Really looking forward to that!

Thanks for the best wishes guys!

• Advertisement

Feel free to correct my spelling Macanri lol. I do have a touch of dyslexia actually, thats why I'm a maths/science teacher I guess!

I designed my own training plan based on the guidelines in the Triathletes Training Bible, the bible is quick to point out that no one training plan will fit all, you have to work it around your own circumstances.

I'm in the 25-29 AG Shotgunmcos, are you on the team also? What AG? Really looking forward to that!

Thanks for the best wishes guys!

30-34 yeah looking forward to it, need to get my sh!t together by then though. Are you part of the 40% or whatever of Maths teachers that RTE were claiming are unqualified last night :rolleyes: I think the issue of the leaving cert Math results was more a result of society issues than teaching competencies if you ask me!

I'd say its a tough job being a teacher these days actually. A different world to when I sat in a Maths class thats for sure

To be honest I love the teaching, it gets easier with time, I'm in my third year. I did have to bust a drug deal going down in the class room once! With regards Maths, well I am frequently met with "can't do", "im just not good at Maths" attitude. It is very frustrating and I think this attitude can sometimes seep down from the parents, this sometimes becomes apparent at PT meetings. Also many teens these days (god i feel old for saying that!) are plain LAZY. So many are overweight, the only exercise they get is in PE once a week. Not enough IMO. I am fully qualified though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sounds like another intresting tri log in the making. Best of luck with your goals for the year.

Where are you at currently on your swim, bike & run targets?

Thanks p.

Swim
    Well i have two coached sessions per week and i leave it to my coach as to what we work on. My base pace at the moment is 2 min (for 100m). I started the coached sessions just before christmas and the week before i got my infection i was noticing significant improvements. Such a shame that was nearly two weeks ago now, but hopefully I'll get back to it next week. I will describe the sessions in more detail as they happen.

Bike Last year biking was prob my strongest discipline. Got my first bike last march, now i have a TT for this year. To be honest the biking isn't going as i would have wished. Haven't been out for the last 3 Saturdays, I have kept up the turbo training though. I got fitted on Monday for both my bikes and i am feeling more confident already. I have also found that the squats I've been doing in the gym are really paying off in the hills (in running too).

Running This was my weakest discipline last year but i have worked hard on it and i posted a sub 40 min 10k just before christmas. Gone back a little since (32.30 for Raheny 5) but i am happy that i will be much better this year. Doing the Larne Half Maraton next month so that will be an excellent test.

Thanks again for the interest.

Well today was my last day in Farnham estate in Cavan, lovely relaxing stay. Beautiful run routes by the way through woods and around two lakes.

Any got in a run early in the morn. Decided to do something high intensity as I have the Naas Duathlon on Sunday.

4 k warm up,

Hill Repeats

Hill 1 378 m-1 min 26 sec (steep)
    Recovery 550m
    Hill 2 214m 47 sec (very steep)
    Recovery 763m
    Hill 3 371m 1 min 28 sec

2 k Warm Down

My HRM is battery less so no idea how high my HB went but something tells it was very very high! Not lookin forward to Naas.

• Advertisement

Well missed my long cycle again, 3rd Saturday in a row! It was my decision, the last time I was out with the club i fell twice, both times on my right hip-because of icey roads. That morning I just couldn't keep on my bike, the other, more experienced, cyclists seemed to have no prob! Anyway wasn't chancing it this morn. But I did have a plan B. I really needed to test drive my new TT bike before Naas tomorrow so i took the opportunity this afternoon. A 20k TT.

20K TT

Warm-Up 4K 100+ RPM Spinning

20K TT 38min 23sec

Cool-Down 5K 100+ RPM Spinning

Well as you can see I'm a long way off my target of a 32 min 20k. At least I know now where i stand. I will repeat this TT in 6 weeks time.

I should keep in mind that i am in my maximum strength phase of my weights, big weights on the quads, I am aware my times will suffer for the next 5 weeks until I reach strength maintenance phase. At that point I will replace one of my weight sessions with a biking session.

Note Never do a TT in the phoenix park on a Saturday afternoon, too many kids, dogs and people walking on the cycle lane.

Tomorrow Naas-I guess if I had a goal for tomorrow it is to break the hour mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Bets of luck for the race tomorrow! Looking forward to the report. Hope the race is on for ye all, the weather seems to be taking a wintry turn!

Well the duathlon was cancelled today. Kinda happy as I didn't sleep at all well last night. I suspect the restless night was because I knew I wasn't prepared. Anyway hopped into the pool for my first session in 11 days, decided to do a test, I've read it is recommended to do these tests every 4-6 weeks to keep an eye on progress.

7 X 200m Test (As suggested in Triathlon 220)(Even Spilt/Desending)

Warm-Up 300m freestyle
    100m Pull

200m 3min 47sec, 24 sk/25m, HB 126, Efficiency Index (EI) 40
    200m 3min 48sec, 24 sk/25m, HB 144, EI 41
    200m 3min 49sec, 26 sk/25m, HB 156, EI 42
    200m 3min 45sec, 24 sk/25m, HB 162, EI 40
    200m 3min 54sec, 26 sk/25m, HB 163, EI 42
    200m 3min 55sec, 24 sk/25m, HB 174, EI 41
    200m 3min 55sec, 26 sk/25m, HB 174, EI 41

Cool-Down 50m back crawl.

Food for thought here. Felt unfit in the pool this morning, to be expected though. As my coach said, I have only two gears slow and fast (like most tri's according to him). So my pacing is all over the place, this was supposed to be a descending set! Anyway now I know were I stand. Pool backed this morn too, not used to Sunday morning swims.

Did this session for another reason, tomorrow morning is Hell of the West Reg opening (one of my A races) so I had this session planned for then but now its done.

Mon Feb 22nd (My birthday! :))

Yesterday saw the start of Base 2. Usually this would mean an early morning swim but i did that yesterday so i could register for kilkee.....didn't happen, could not find the link even though i was looking/checking since 7:45 this morn. Not to worry i'll get it next time around.

After school - Turbo Session

Turbo Session no. 25, 60 mins (interval sesions made available to me by delboy on boards, let me know if anyone wants it, i'm sure he won't mind me spreading the wealth)

Tuesday Morning-StrengthTraining

Maximum Strengtg Phase

Session 3 of 12, strength programme is from Joe Friel's Triathletes Training Bible.

Feeling strong this morn and will be upping weights on Thursday morning.
    Terrible sleep last night, may affect running training tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Belated Happy Birthday. Hope it was a good one!

Wasn't anything special P, work, train, grinds in that order! I did however have a bottle of heino(might explain restless night!)

Tuesday Evening-running intervals

Warm-Up 3.38 km

738 m 2 min 41 sec

748 m 2 min 40 sec

716 m 2 min 36 sec

730 m 2 min 36 sec

Cool-Down 2.27 km

Felt good, felt strong in last 100 m which was up hill-good sign. First home on all 4. Rotten night but glad to have gotten through it x

good session there El D' rotten night alright out there. Belated happy birthday man.

Wednesday Morning

Must admit negative thoughts entered my head this morning at 5.30, getting back to my first coached session in two weeks. As usual...delighted now that i did.

Warm-Up 200m

TT 750m; 14 min 40 sec; sk/25m 25; Speed 117sec/100m; EI 42

75m X 12 (25m kick/50m freestyle) 10 sec rest for kick; freestyle off 1:05; averaged 50sec for the 50 freestyle

50m X 9 off 1 min; averaged 48 sec

Cool-Down 50m backcrawl

Toatal Distance 2,450m

Felt much better than i thought. Glad to get back to some serious swimming.

Thanks mcos!

• Advertisement

Weds After School

60 min turbo session (no. 26)

Feeling fine doing these turbo sessions, very anxious to get back out on the road for my long cycle on saturday. Band of Brothers keeping me entertained at the moment, top class TV if you haven't seen it already, my second time watching it :)

Thursday Morning-Strength Training

Maximum Strength Session 4 of 12

Upped some of the weights today, kept reps to 6 to 8.

As per my first post I was not sure if I was going to do a half iron man this year......my mate (i mentioned in first post) got onto me about it.....I was called a pussy....so a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.....I'm in. August 22nd, Groomsport, Co. Down. Found this on their website....early morning inspiration :rolleyes:
    Not for the faint of heart,
    not for the weekend warrior
    type, and not for the arm
    chair athlete. The triathlete
    is a special breed of athlete.
    No mountainous muscles
    or intimidating features, the
    triathlete stores their true
    power deep within. To look for evidence of such power, one only needs to
    look deep into the eyes of these warriors of the elements just before and after
    the beginning of competition. Then, nothing else matters. They have no
    past, there is no future and life means nothing except the distance that
    needs to be travelled. All that is regarded as living is suddenly redefined
    into a simplified existence within each arm stroke, each breath of air, and
    each step. But even then the true triathlete, regardless of their level finds the
    euphoria of the Triathlon not only by its finish, but from the Zen like
    state that comes, that gives them the superhuman ability to break any and
    all limitations - that keep men
    simply men and women
    simply women. They are
    super athletes proving their
    worth only to themselves for
    the satisfaction to have said
    “I did it”…….again…
    The Triathlete.

Looking forward to running session tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

As per my first post I was not sure if I was going to do a half iron man this year......my mate (i mentioned in first post) got onto me about it.....I was called a pussy....so a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.....I'm in. August 22nd, Groomsport, Co. Down.

Congrats. Lovely run by the sea in store for you ;)

Please tell me interested that you are not being sarcastic! have you done it before, if so-what's it like?

Thurs Eve - Polo Grounds, Speed Work

Warm - Up 4.15 k

300m x 10

300m 58 sec

300m 57 sec

300m 56 sec

300m 59 sec

300m 57 sec

300m 54 sec

300m 56 sec

300m 56 sec

300m 55 sec

300m 53 sec

Cool - Down 3.26 km

Felt strong through out. Lead home all 10. I'm surprised that my fitness isn't worse after my infection. Week 1 of Base 2 Training.....so far so good :)

Friday Morn - Swimming Coached Session

200m Warm - Up

100m x 10 50 kick/50 FS; off 2min 10sec

50m x 3 MAX/Sprint; off 2 min; they ranged between 37 sec - 40 sec

100m x 15 Pull; off 2 min

50 x 8/Cool - Down FS; concentrating on stroke; off 1min 5sec

Shoulders felt sore early on, more to do with poor technique than anything else. Need to remember:

1)keep shoulders relaxed
    2)keep stroke long
    3)tighten stomch muscles
    4)time and stroke should not change - unless getting tired

Long, easy run after school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Please tell me interested that you are not being sarcastic! have you done it before, if so-what's it like?

you've done the hard part chief of entering ... you'll be fine and delighted you took the chance on entering when you get through it

I did Ireman the year before last and personally think its definitely worth the trip. Its a very well run event with the Triangle club having alot of experience running the race. The year I did it they held a couple of 'intro' days where they'll bring you on a guided tour of the bike loop and a tour of the run route - which can be useful. The Groomsport area is very nice to be honest and the race is kinda towards the end of most peoples seasons so its as good a place as most to cut loose after the seasons final race.

Because the bike route is on open roads there are some areas of the route that need to be taken with caution since they bring you through one or two built up areas. Its very flat though apart from a couple of drags.

The run is as advertised and mix of cross country, coastal track, beach and road. Its actually a nice run though - plenty to take your mind off things. Since Im a crap runner I really took things handy but it was hot that day and alot of good runners suffered so I guess my advice is hold a little back for the last km back into town to the finish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

interested wrote: »
    you've done the hard part chief of entering ... you'll be fine and delighted you took the chance on entering when you get through it

I did Ireman the year before last and personally think its definitely worth the trip. Its a very well run event with the Triangle club having alot of experience running the race. The year I did it they held a couple of 'intro' days where they'll bring you on a guided tour of the bike loop and a tour of the run route - which can be useful. The Groomsport area is very nice to be honest and the race is kinda towards the end of most peoples seasons so its as good a place as most to cut loose after the seasons final race.

Because the bike route is on open roads there are some areas of the route that need to be taken with caution since they bring you through one or two built up areas. Its very flat though apart from a couple of drags.

The run is as advertised and mix of cross country, coastal track, beach and road. Its actually a nice run though - plenty to take your mind off things. Since Im a crap runner I really took things handy but it was hot that day and alot of good runners suffered so I guess my advice is hold a little back for the last km back into town to the finish ;)

I did the same year...loved the overall set up...some comments...

Swim: 2 laps and getting out of the water. Bit of a swell and slow times all round. Some people were muttering that the course was "long", but aside from the crap time, I couldn't tell how far it was.

Bike: Nice and flat, but a few roundabouts, junctions and a couple of villages to deal with - a few of the speed merchants were unhappy, but it didn't bother me dawdling off the back:)

Run: This was tough. Found the beach and eh, rock climbing sections very hard. The heat of the day was also having an impact on most of the punters at that point.
    How anyone can manage an IM run on that course is beyond me.

Afters: Didn't hang around too long, but took advantage of the local ladies providing a cracking afternoon tea in the local town hall. Fantastic!

• Advertisement

mmmmm.....thanks lads, I do like a challenge (don't we all) so this will be the toughest thing I've done to date. Hoping I'm not jumping the gun my doing it in only my second year in tri. Looking forward to it now....bring it on.

Advertisement