Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim, Bike, Run....if only it was that simple!

Options
  • 08-01-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Well time to put pen to paper and start my second training log. I'm not going to go on about 2010 here as I've already summarised that in my last log. In a sentence, it was up and down but ultimately very pleasing.

I am already 6/8 weeks down on training compared to this time last year, not concerned by that because my season will be 6 weeks longer this year. Since finishing last season I haven't been up to much at all. Tried getting back into the swing of things on Nov 1 and planned a solid 6-8 weeks. This didn't materialise. This was mainly due to a lack of motivation and life issues and illness. I now feel really rested and dying to get back at it. So without further a do here are my goals, objectives, training periods and a quick note on how I plan to organise the log.

Season Goals (Chronological Order)

1. Euro Triathlon Championships, Pontevedra, Spain 25/26th June Top 25% in AG
    2. Galway 70.3 Top 25% in AG
    3. Dublin Marathon Sub 3hr 10min

Training Objectives

Overall

-Consistency is key - make 95% of sessions by the end of each training period
    -Weight - currently 88kg, target for A priority race day >80kg

Swim

-Get my 1,000m T-time down to under 16mins
    -Hold this pace by Galway 70.3 for a 30min swim

Bike

-Improve my FTP by 15% by Galway 70.3
    -Bike split in Euro's - sub 62min (if relatively flat course)
    -Do a sub 30min 20k TT

Run

-Get 8 PB's

- 800m - 2min 15sec
    -1500m - 4min 45sec
    -3000m - 10min 30sec
    -5k - 17min 59sec
    -8k - 29min 59sec
    -10k - 37min 59sec
    -Half Marathon - 1hr 29min 59sec
    -Marathon - 3hr 09min 59sec

All stand alone.

Training Periods

Starting Mon 10th Jan - Transition week - 11.5hrs
    -Just get back into a routine
    -3 double training days, the rest single

Base 1

-3 weeks/1 easy
    -Swim - 3 club sessions/week
    -Bike - 2/3 turbo sessions/week - cadence interval stuff
    - 1 60-90k cycle
    -Run - 2 club sessions/week
    - 1 LSR 12-20k run/week
    - 1/2 short runs off the bike/week

On the 4th week (easy week) testing time using these guidlines
    http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/05/quick-guide-to-training-with-heart-rate-power-and-pace.html

Base 2 and 3

-The same more or less as Base one except:
    - The long bike rides and LSR will increase slightly in distance
    - Will build to include 2 FTP sessions/week on the bike by Base 3
    - Test again at end of Base 3

Build 1

- Here I will start doing hill sessions on the bike at the weekends

Build 2

- Swim - 2 club sessions/week
    - 1 OW session
    - Bike - 1 turbo session
    - 1 short intervals session
    - 1 TT session
    - 1 Hill session
    - Run - contin. with club sessions and LSR

Test again at end of this period

Peak 2 weeks, start taper

- Same no. of sessions but shorter in duration
    - every 3 days do a race pace session

Race Week of A race

Then, after a transition week it's back to Base 1 for Galway 70.3.

So that's it. I know there will be twists/turns and lots of changes along the way. Here's the most important bit IMO-you guys and ye're opinions. Please let you opinion be known, I really appreciate constructive criticism.

Here's to 2011 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I can see a lot of thought and planning went into that El Director. You have set some good stretchy targets there!

I think you have the leg speed (and focus) for most of the running ones although the 3k and 1500m make the Half Marathon one soft in comparison?

40kmh for 30 mins is doable too but will take a mighty effort and decent conditions on the day on a fair course. If you hit this objective I think the top 25% in your AG at Galway will be firmly in play :)

The one that stands out for me is holding 1:34/100m pace for a HIM swim. Thats ambitious :eek:

Caz printed out a pic of myself, yourself and Bambaata holding up the Irish Flag in Budapest and stuck it on the fridge for motivation! She is my secret ingredient to helping me achieve my goals. Its testament though to you that even withy the ups and downs of last year you still went out and smashed your objectives.

Nice 2011 objectives and good plan, looking forward to following the log with interest. Good man and best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Subscribing to this log and will no doubt read with interest!!! Couple of nice stretching targets there for the year, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks shotgun. Looking forward to the new season now.
    I think you have the leg speed (and focus) for most of the running ones although the 3k and 1500m make the Half Marathon one soft in comparison?

Perhaps you are right here, I mean according to the McMillan calculator I should manage a sub 3 hour marathon. This calculation however doesn't take into account that I've never done a marathon. I am pretty confident in my speed but I feel I may not have the endurance/muscle endurance to do a sub 85 min half marathon. We will see, and nearer the time I will make a decision on my half marathon pace.
    40kmh for 30 mins is doable too but will take a mighty effort and decent conditions on the day on a fair course. If you hit this objective I think the top 25% in your AG at Galway will be firmly in play :)

Ya this will be an interesting one. It's a training objective so what I might do is find a suitable stretch of road to do it.
    Caz printed out a pic of myself, yourself and Bambaata holding up the Irish Flag in Budapest and stuck it on the fridge for motivation! She is my secret ingredient to helping me achieve my goals.

Ya I must say my GF is very supportive too, if she wasn't I wouldn't be able to train with a clear mind.
    Nice 2011 objectives and good plan, looking forward to following the log with interest. Good man and best of luck :)

Thanks dude, it will be very challenging but I'll give it my best shot! :)
    Subscribing to this log and will no doubt read with interest!!! Couple of nice stretching targets there for the year, best of luck with it.

Thanks Jacky, I actually just started reading your log today too! Best of luck with the up coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Nice to have you back logging. Plenty of Tri logs to read now.

Nice target races aswell. I'm sure the girlfriend didn't take too much convincing to go to the euro's. I'd say a crack at sub 3 is well in you for dublin. Have you joined a tri/swim club?

The one that stands out for me is holding 1:34/100m pace for a HIM swim. Thats ambitious :eek:
    Jaysus I may have to adjust my swim target for the HIM, hopefully swinford is 1,850m's again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Excellent stuff. Thats very clear and concise aobjectives - obviously alot of thought has gone into them. I hope you hit them all.

Welcome back to the training logs and all the best for the new training year.

• Advertisement

Forgot to address this one earlier. If shotgun is saying this then I must pay heed! Maybe it is too ambitious but I will stick with it for now and see nearer the time. I think the wetsuit helps a lot, but sea conditions will play a major part.

Also I mentioned that I wanted to say a word on how I will organise my log. If MCOS doesn't mind I'd like to steal the "Planned\Actual" part - I feel this gives a focus on each session and also the week end, Sunday night summary table.

Thanks again guys for ye're interest and comments.

nomadic wrote: »
    I'd say a crack at sub 3 is well in you for dublin. Have you joined a tri/swim club?

Thanks Nomadic. Sub 3 for Dublin is definitely not an aim. I've never done a marathon, never ran more than 13.1 miles either, so mustn't be flippant and respect the distance (even 3:10 is going to be a push me thinks!)

Really thought long and hard about joining a tri club but just don't really see any major advantage from bring in one, apart from meeting people and the social thing....but that ain't why I'm in the sport. I am sticking with the running, swimming and cycling clubs from last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Hey El D,

Looking forward to following your log.

Great objectives and hopefully you will meet them all.
    I like the stretching goals, so best of luck.

Hopefully see you on the start line for some of the events (You can wait for me at the finish though :) )

NT

Hey El D,

Looking forward to following your log.

Great objectives and hopefully you will meet them all.
    I like the stretching goals, so best of luck.

Hopefully see you on the start line for some of the events (You can wait for me at the finish though :) )

NT

Thanks man, but don't sell yourself short, you'll have a top season I'm sure of it!

Sun Morn 9th Jan

Plan An episode and a half of The Wire, Z2 turbo
    Actual An episode and a half of The Wire, Z2 turbo

Dist 34.5km; Ave Cad 79; Ave Watt 150; Ave Hr 127; Time 1hr24min 30sec

Followed by

Plan 9k Z2 run
    Actual 9k Z2 run

Dist 9.38km; Time 59min 42sec; Ave HR 152; Pace 6:22/km

Yes you read correctly, to keep it in zone 2 I was reduced to walking at times, granted it is a hilly enough route but still, come on!

Not looking forward to the next 3/4 weeks :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Beat you I got two episodes in.

I have just started season 2, fantastic stuff!

Yes you read correctly, to keep it in zone 2 I was reduced to walking at times, granted it is a hilly enough route but still, come on!

Not looking forward to the next 3/4 weeks :o

Hey El D have faith man. I had serious cardiac drift after just 30 mins when I started this journey but it has vastly improved since. I remember feeling dismayed at ho bad I though my base fitness was but it comes along quickly as long as you are disciplined. 4 out of my last 50+ runs have been outside of base. The base heart rate pace improves trust me :)

Hey El D have faith man. I had serious cardiac drift after just 30 mins when I started this journey but it has vastly improved since. I remember feeling dismayed at ho bad I though my base fitness was but it comes along quickly as long as you are disciplined. 4 out of my last 50+ runs have been outside of base. The base heart rate pace improves trust me :)

100% agree with this El D you should see some massive improvements in just a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

at last - been waiting for the launch of this log for a while now ;) Great to see you back El. D. Some pretty clear targets for the coming year should keep you entertained. Hopefully see you at the pool some stage soon eh ;)

interested wrote: »
    at last - been waiting for the launch of this log for a while now ;) Great to see you back El. D. Some pretty clear targets for the coming year should keep you entertained. Hopefully see you at the pool some stage soon eh ;)

Thanks Jacky & shotgun, it has to improve no two ways about it.

Thanks interested and ya you will be seeing me 3 times a week from now on.....read on to see this mornings excuse ;)

Mon Morn 10th Jan

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Nothing

I usually set the alarm for 5:20, hit snooze for an extra 10 then up and in pool by 5:45. This morning however I hit the off button and woke up at 7:30 :mad: This cannot happen again, consistant training is going to be a coner stone of this season for me so......get to bed early and no more snooze button!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Mon Morn 10th Jan

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Nothing

I usually set the alarm for 5:20, hit snooze for an extra 10 then up and in pool by 5:45. This morning however I hit the off button and woke up at 7:30 :mad: This cannot happen again, consistant training is going to be a coner stone of this season for me so......get to bed early and no more snooze button!

ahh ... the dreaded snooze button. You need to invest in an old school alarm that doesnt have such a facility :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

How early is early bed wise for 5.20? 5.20 is hardcore, here is me worrying about getting up at 6.50 to cycle into work. The amount of times i ll prob wuzz out of that even

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Good luck with the training El D

I really do enjoy reading these logs

Is this swim club up in the NAC?
    I'll have to start the pre work swims from next week so could be interested in a bit of that.

• Advertisement

Mon Morn 10th Jan

Plan Club Swim Session
    Actual Nothing

I learned a valuable tip for those early morning sessions and most of the time it works. Try and move the alarm clock to the other side of the room so you have to actually climb out of the bed and walkover to turn it off:)

I learned a valuable tip for those early morning sessions and most of the time it works. Try and move the alarm clock to the other side of the room so you have to actually climb out of the bed and walkover to turn it off:)

A Better suggestion to making sure you get up. Put the alarm under her pillow :D

A Better suggestion to making sure you get up. Put the alarm under her pillow :D

Jeez i would not dare in fear of picking up an injury.

Ha! Funny stuff there lads. The GF hates when I am getting up early so I don't want angering her more! Moving the alarm to the far side of the room is what I am going to try anyway, we'll see.

Nomadic it's not in the NAC it's my local swim club and school indeed, PM me if you want more details.

Hi KB3, I find when getting back into getting up that early it's all about getting in the habit of it. Therefore the first 2 weeks are the most difficult, so I am going to aim to be in bed for 9 asleep by 9:30. Then after that you can (well I did last season) get away with 10 and asleep at 10:30.

Mon Eve 10th Jan

Plan 1hr turbo, session 20 (interval/cadence work)
    Actual 1hr turbo

Cad Max/Ave 147/93; Watt Max/Ave 260/153; HR Max/Ave 163/134; Dist 25km

Felt grand, fading a small bit in the last 5 mins before the cool down.

Now what do ye reckon of this lads/ladies. My 30th is coming up and my GF has put away a few euro (way too much IMO) for a presie for me. She has suggested a top of the line wetsuit, Helix/2XU Project, or an IPad! Now swimming is my weakest discipline but would a really expensive wetsuit make that much of a difference? An IPad, granted it is cool and I love...love my gadgets but I have an IPhone and laptop so I don't see the point. What do ye think??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thats about a grand or so for an Ipad that you arent that interested in. Why dont you suggest a foreign triathlon somwehere nice for that money that you could both go to. You have July free why not Alpe Duhez maybe the standard distance - would be great motivation for the turbo knowing those 21 bends are ahead of you in July

Although what state is your wetsuit in after the Salthill Cope?

catweazle wrote: »
    Thats about a grand or so for an Ipad that you arent that interested in. Why dont you suggest a foreign triathlon somwehere nice for that money that you could both go to. You have July free why not Alpe Duhez maybe the standard distance - would be great motivation for the turbo knowing those 21 bends are ahead of you in July

Although what state is your wetsuit in after the Salthill Cope?

Thanks CW, I actually thought an IPad was half that, it depends on which hard drive I guess. I love that suggestion about Alpe Duhez, will check it out.

As for my own wetsuit-blueseventy reaction (3 years old) well it has numerous patches at this stage but still, I had no intention of changing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just spotted this now dude. Nice to see you have a new log up. Some nice targets there. Best of luck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

A race away would also be my suggestion. Possibly Austria 70.3 :P Must get my own flights booked actually!!

Bambaata wrote: »
    A race away would also be my suggestion. Possibly Austria 70.3 :P Must get my own flights booked actually!!

Ha! Not likely dude! Good to hear from you man and I am going to take this oppertunity to call for the "Bambaata Tri Log" - give the people what they want :D

• Advertisement

Coolmine is it? I've just paid my membership up in the NAC and I don't think I'd ever use it if I wasn't swimming up there so I'll stick with it for a while. I am contemplating doing some of the masters sessions up there though.
    Ha! Not likely dude! Good to hear from you man and I am going to take this oppertunity to call for the "Bambaata Tri Log" - give the people what they want :D
    +1 to that.

Advertisement