Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Slutwalk

Options
  • 05-10-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

There's due to be a slutwalk in Galway this afternoon (despite the stormy wind and torrential rain) organised by NUI Galway's Feminist society and the Rape Crisis Centre.

As you probably know, the first slutwalk took place in Toronto in April in response to comments by a police officer that women dressing "sluttily" reduced men's responsibility for rape, to an extent, and it was followed by others around the world.

A ridiculous idea from the police officer of course, and though I have mixed feelings about the effectiveness of the slutwalk as a form of protest, I understand why it took the form it did and the idea behind it.

Now the thing is, today's slutwalk (Ireland's first) isn't in response to any particular comment, and its stated aim is to drive home the point that the way women dress doesn't excuse rape.

Again, a laudable idea, but I'm not sure a slutwalk here is such a good idea. Seeing as it's not based on any high-profile case, I think it's going to send mixed messages at best. I think lots of people who come across it won't get the idea behind it. It made sense shortly after the cop's comments, but now I think most people won't get it.

What do you think? Do we need a slutwalk in Ireland, and will it be effective?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Coppers is the non stop slut walk isn't it (I'm led to believe this is the case judging by AH lore)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Do we need a slutwalk in Ireland

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I love the idea behind it but have found that the public as a group are moronic and will totally miss the point or even worse get it backwards and think it's a protest again women dressing sluttily. Wait and see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

A slutwalk is a girl in a raggedy dress walking home at 8 o'clock on Sunday morning after spending the night with some guy she just met.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Classy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Slutwalk - is that the new name for the liffey Boardwalk:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

skregs wrote: »
    A slutwalk is a girl in a raggedy dress walking home at 8 o'clock on Sunday morning after spending the night with some guy she just met.
    thought that was the walk of shame?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You stay classy, Galway

Slutwalk - is that the new name for the liffey Boardwalk:confused:

Nah that's junkie promenade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

skregs wrote: »

no thats the walk of shame.

bonus points if shes carrying her shoes and/or crying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

mike65 wrote: »
    Coppers is the non stop slut walk isn't it (I'm led to believe this is the case judging by AH lore)

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure we believe you!

Slutwalk though. It's sexist. Where's the bro-walk! Where we get to drink beer and high five each other. In a purely hetero way. Although gays are not excluded. But they do have their own march. So.........where was I?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope they have umbrellas, it's torrential out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

SOS

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

chin_grin wrote: »
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuure we believe you!

Slutwalk though. It's sexist. Where's the bro-walk! Where we get to drink beer and high five each other. In a purely hetero way. Although gays are not excluded. But they do have their own march. So.........where was I?
    That's every stag party Friday night down Shop street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The title isn't very appropriate to the cause really? Raises a few eyebrows. Anyway, the way a woman dresses is no excuse. She could dress like a nun and still can happen. There are countless of reasons why it happens but still no excuse for it to happen and it can happen at any age, doesn't matter the person's status, can happen to either men or women.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

If only I lived in Galway, I'd pop along for a good lech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Oh jesus...Slutwalk girls...

I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

biko wrote: »

I really hope they don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Matthew23

jaysus no danger of rape for any of the munters in the wiki link photo. havent seen a troop of elephants like them since hannibal crossed the alps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

From your link OP
    On January 24, 2011 Constable Michael Sanguinetti spoke on crime prevention at a York University safety forum.[7] He said: "women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized.

But is there not an element of risk management?
    Maybe I'd love to walk down dark alleys while drunk but if I get jumped and mugged I didn't take all the precautions I could. And I'd get little sympathy around here.

It's not an ideal world and there are bad people out there and dressing in a certain way can provoke a reaction.
    For example wearing heels means you may struggle to run away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Sexy Slut Victim. :eek: Ima gonna be sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

thought that was the walk of shame?

Or stride of pride!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

doovdela wrote: »
    The title isn't very appropriate to the cause really? Raises a few eyebrows. Anyway, the way a woman dresses is no excuse. She could dress like a nun and still can happen. There are countless of reasons why it happens but still no excuse for it to happen and it can happen at any age, doesn't matter the person's status, can happen to either men or women.

It's taking the power out of the word. The bad connotations behind it were put there by society; and most specifically women.

Anyway I'm not in Galway so I won't get to see it, but then even if there was one in Dublin I'd still miss it due to work. And the fact that I couldn't wear my slut gear in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

biko wrote: »

I know you Biko. No umbrellas or no walk!

mikemac wrote: »
    But is there not an element of risk management?

Don't be talking sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Matthew23

TheZohan wrote: »
    Sexy Slut Victim. :eek: Ima gonna be sick.

It really is this kind of thing that give women such a bad name...and the fact that their dopes! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Are there any actual stats to say a woman is more likely to be assaulted if she is dressed in such a manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I'm wholeheartedly in favour of anything which brings more sluts to the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

doovdela wrote: »
    The title isn't very appropriate to the cause really? Raises a few eyebrows. Anyway, the way a woman dresses is no excuse. She could dress like a nun and still can happen. There are countless of reasons why it happens but still no excuse for it to happen and it can happen at any age.

Who said it was an excuse? This is basically women protesting against common sense. :pac:

Advertisement