Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy has 16 weeks to save his career

Options
  • 01-09-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

http://www.herald.ie/incoming/embattled-tubridys-got-just-16-weeks-to-save-his-two-jobs-2864318.html

Ryan Tubridy has between now and Christmas to save his career.

His radio listenership has plummeted to a point where the man himself has been forced to admit he's in trouble.

And if it wasn't for the recession stopping a huge chunk of the country going out on a Friday night, the Late Late Show would probably be in a similar position.

So the pull-out by Sinead O'Connor from tomorrow's season opener is the last thing Tubridy needs.

And any bravado about no publicity being bad publicity is, in this case, bull***t.

Tubridy desperately needs to start the new season with a show that will get people talking. Sinead O'Connor chatting about her highly publicised search for a mate might have made for car crash television.

It might have been uncomfortable (for the host as well as the viewers) or felt intrusive or been plain entertaining.

Fluffed

But it would have got people watching -- and talking about the show that in its heyday set the agenda for the Sunday papers.

Last time that happened was for all the wrong reasons.

Tubridy let pop music's former Mr Clean, Ronan Keating, off the hook by avoiding the one question everyone at home was shouting at the telly -- why did you do the dirt on Yvonne?

It was a golden opportunity -- and Tubridy fluffed it.

There was also the interview with Mark Pollock. He fell from a balcony but Tubridy never asked the circumstances of him falling. Was he just embarrassed? Or is it that he couldn't give a hoot about viewer curiosity; that's he above all that?

So he's going back to the Late Late studio tomorrow still smarting from the criticism over the last few seasons.

Back against the wall, he now must also live up to his very public commitment to take his radio show by the scruff of the neck and turn it round.

As if that wasn't enough pressure, RTE bosses have finally shown that they're willing to pass over the 'stars' if they think someone else can do a better job.

The Voice is a long way from the flagship that is the Late Late. But RTE's decision to plump for Kathryn Thomas for the show rather than Grainne Seoige as presenter is significant. The general consensus was that the job was Grainne's -- and in the pre-Noel Curran/Steve Carson management era, pre-recession, more comfortable environment, it might well have been.

Not any more.

The long-cherished tradition of someone having a right to a gig because they've been around longer, or are paid more, or did well in the past, is breaking down.

Obscene

Then there's the issue of how much the RTE stars are paid.

In the heady days, when ad revenue was rolling in, and we got used to paying our politicians and public servants mad money out of the public purse, the station could justify obscene salaries to its stars on the basis that they could be lured away by rivals for bigger salaries.

That justification collapsed round about the time the economy did.

The replacement of Marian Finucane with Claire Byrne for nine weeks this summer should send another shiver along the spines of the big earners.

Byrne did a spectacularly successful job -- making the show her own for those couple of months -- and on a fraction of the salary Finucane is paid.

Most of the big-name broadcasters are on contracts which come up for renegotiation every couple of years.

None of them -- including Tubridy and Finucane -- are going to be able to take for granted that they'll remain in the big money league.

RTE can't afford to devote a prime morning radio slot, five days a week, to a show that's bleeding listeners at a near fatal rate.

In these pressurised days, they're going to find it hard to give Tubs more than a few months more before they're forced to step in.

One way or another, as he tucks into the turkey on Christmas Day, Tubs is going to know whether he has done the job or not. And that's a ferocious amount of pressure.

Is he up to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭jmcc

No. Give the Late Late to Grainne Seoige. At least she's not a dork.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

These big long holidays our overpaid RTE stars are taking has got me thinking are they even worth it. Tubridy is OK just. I'm not in the hate Tubridy camp though. Finucane is not great... Byrne is doing as good a job if not better. I think Philip Boucher Hayes is very good and could easily do Pat Kenny's job.

Dunphy is another one on the long break this year. I don't mind him although i wouldn't miss him is he stayed off. The only one I miss really is good aul Vinnie from TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Tubridy wont change. Hopefully this season will be the last we see of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

How did he do in the Uk on BBC radio 2 in the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Minstrel27 wrote: »

And then what nob will we have to endure?

• Advertisement

I think they should be looking to give a chance to a new presenter. I am sure there is plenty of newcomers that could do the job better than Tubridy. The Late Late Show is formulatic nonsense at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Stephen Hawking could do a better job than Tubridy. Even through his evil robot voice you can tell he has a bit of personality.Although,wouldn't say he'd fair very well on the Toy Show,but at least he'd be surrounded by batteries in case there was an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I don't know about his radio programme, but the LLS has improved its ratings since he took over presenting.

It could be put down to more people staying in on Fridays, because for the life of me I don't know why people would watch TWO hours of that drivel.

I don't blame Tubridy for that, to an extent. Just the guests are terrible and when you can watch Graham Norton with Hollywood stars on it (and you get a laugh), I really fail to see how the show still tops the ratings.

Maybe they get a lot of viewers that are watching to see if Tubridy makes mistakes....some are probably on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I don't know about his radio programme, but the LLS has improved its ratings since he took over presenting.QUOTE]

Really?

I thought they'd fallen, normally if they go up RTE are jumping up and down to tell everyone about it.

giftgrub wrote: »
    I don't know about his radio programme, but the LLS has improved its ratings since he took over presenting.QUOTE]

Really?

I thought they'd fallen, normally if they go up RTE are jumping up and down to tell everyone about it.

Nope they're up. The Toy Show got its highest viewership for 15 years last year. Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I think Philip Boucher Hayes is worth a shot, he took over from Duffy on Liveline last summer for a week or two and was excellent. He is also doing a good job on Drivetime at the moment, so why not give him a shot at the TV slot too.

Tubridy is a total disaster at the Late Late, he is useless at hard interviews, he is best suited to the Saturday night slot he had with light entertainment.

The Late Late needs to have less guests but more quality, a bit more debate on topical issues would be better, as the article above says, the kind of debate that will get into the Sunday papers.

bijapos wrote: »
    I think Philip Boucher Hayes is worth a shot, he took over from Duffy on Liveline last summer for a week or two and was excellent. He is also doing a good job on Drivetime at the moment, so why not give him a shot at the TV slot too.

Tubridy is a total disaster at the Late Late, he is useless at hard interviews, he is best suited to the Saturday night slot he had with light entertainment.

The Late Late needs to have less guests but more quality, a bit more debate on topical issues would be better, as the article above says, the kind of debate that will get into the Sunday papers.

Nooo..they need to drop the topical debates/serious section. Leave that for Prime Time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

bijapos wrote: »

I would prefer to see Philip stay away from the light entertainment. He is more suited to politics, current affairs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Tubridy is a yes man and thus is a relic of Fianna Fáil style nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Ryan "The Plank" Tubridy is more wooden than Pat Kenny. At least Pat Kenny has found his niche with The Frontline, the sooner the wooden tubs is off Irish screens and airways, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

charlemont wrote: »
    Tubridy is a yes man and thus is a relic of Fianna Fáil style nepotism.
    Good lord jaysus, how did you manage to link FF and Tubridy !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭jmcc

s8n wrote: »
    By looking at his family? Somehow I don't think that the Beeb is quite so interested now.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

s8n wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Tubridy

Tubridy was educated at Blackrock College[21] and University College, Dublin (U.C.D.), where he studied Arts. He was a member of the Kevin Barry Cumann of Fianna Fáil while in UCD and was active in the UCD Students' Union and Belfield FM, as well as the Dún Laoghaire branch of Ógra Fianna Fáil. Two of his first cousins, Barry Andrews and Chris Andrews, were formerly Fianna Fáil TDs, with the former being a Minister of State for Children in the coalition government of Brian Cowen. His grandfather, Todd Andrews, was a prominent associate of Fianna Fáil founder Éamon de Valera and held[citation needed] a number of posts in semi-state companies. On the Tubridy side of the family, Ryan is the grandson of TD Seán Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Tubs is a complete yes man, never wants to rock the boat especially during interviews!

He is dull and needs replacing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭terrlobe

Don't worry about Tubs as his job is safe. Just saw him interview Downey Jr and must say find his vain attempts at rapport with guests a little off the mark. Prefer his interviewing style when he is more intense but always have the impression he is ill prepared since he can ask the most banal things... He'll never be able to ad lib like the top TV presenters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

jmcc wrote: »
    No. Give the Late Late to Grainne Seoige. At least she's not a dork.
    So not only do you want to kill the Late Late but you want to drive a stake through it's heart? Grainne is certainly more pleasant to look at on the telly than Tubs but, by God, she's dull. She's already had a show where she did interviews and it tanked.

RTÉ needs to take a gamble on someone new with actual talent. I doubt they'd recognise talent if they saw it though. The Late Late just needs someone who's genuine, able to conduct an interview intelligently while keeping it interesting, and able to change gears seamlessly between light topics and darker material - all the while not making themselves the centre of the show.

It doesn't sound that hard to do.........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

Anyone notice his day-glow teeth on the LLS? God that show was woeful. Cringeworthy from start to finish. Please fire him. Fire him now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I will do Tubridy's job for a tenth of his wage, and I can be even more bland than him if RTE want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Destroyer666

Something about the man that would make ya want to puck the head of the ****er, but in all honesty does ratings really mean a ****e to these RTE stars. Sure look at Marian Finnucane, 4 hours on the radio a week and she is on 250,000 a week, just a past reputation but rte dont really like freshning up there station do they. Guess what Im saying is we shall more than likely have tubridy for a fair amount of time yet Im afraid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not bothered about who presents the Late Late, because ultimately the problems with the show are not necessarily to be laid at the feet of its presenter - he / she is irrelevant to the show's problems. It's the format that's wrong & I don't blame people for turning off.

It's a jarring, inconsistent mess of a show that would force any casual telly-watcher away to the next channel. One minute you're watching some left-field comedian struggle to engage with the bemused middle-aged audience; the next we're plunged into a current-affairs debate, possibly mixed with some heart-wrenching testimony from a grief-stricken audience member. Blimey. But no! Now we're back to hearing some Z-list celeb tell their funny backstage stories & Tubridy has dispensed with his serious, concerned face, instead replaced with his chatshow schtick.

The series can't make up its mind whether it's a variety-act show, a lightweight primetime chatshow, or a serious current affairs / human interest program. Instead it tries to be all three, with horrible results. So please RTÉ: pick one and run with it, because it's not fun to be one minute watching Pat Shortt mucking about with the audience & his funny wigs, and the next listening to someone talk of being sexually abused as a child. As I said, it's jarring and a complete turn off as light entertainment on a Friday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Baahahahaha, I find it amusing that people think Tubridy is in danger regarding his job.
    The man works for RTE and fronts their most popular show.
    Clowns around those parts wouldn't ever think of actually giving someone with drive and talent a job, apart from the odd fluke.

Doesn't matter, Dara O'Briain will do it after Tubridy leaves...

No, wait...he got far away from that RTE shower a long time ago,
    about the same time he realised he actually had talent.

So, we'll be stuck with Tubridy for a fair few years, unless he is properly poached by the BBC,
    which is a possibility as I don't think the Beeb is doing too well these days either.

In short, Ryan Tubridy shít, Dara O'Briain good, BBC not as shít as RTE.

Neil (used to be funny) Delamere to host Late Late after Tubridy leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

Minstrel27 wrote: »

I agree, I don't think he can change to be honest. I think he just is who he is - not really personable and not someone right for The Late Late Show or radio but I don't think it's really his fault. It's whoever gave him the job - in both cases - who is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Gorteenman

Claire Byrne made Marion Finnucanes programme her own???? Just shows how subjective opinion is!!! I thought she was like pirate radio from he 80/s..amateur time on the radio and cringe inducing!!! Had to switch off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Gorteenman wrote: »
    Claire Byrne made Marion Finnucanes programme her own????

Yeah I'd have to agree.. I dont know of anybody who thinks Claire Byrne did a good job.. she's as dull as dishwater on the show.. Rachael English is a thousand times better....

Regarding Tubridy losing his job.. he certainly wont be fired during the current LLS season.. He's had a poor start to the new season, but it's the same as every other job in the public sector... He wont be fired unless he shoots someone...

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    The replacement of Marian Finucane with Claire Byrne for nine weeks this summer should send another shiver along the spines of the big earners.

Byrne did a spectacularly successful job -- making the show her own for those couple of months -- and on a fraction of the salary Finucane is paid.

She must have changed her ways so. When on Newstalk she was an opinionated know it all.

Advertisement