Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: International Experience Class (IEC)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 corkbai

H Rambles wrote: »
    I had the same issue when i went to pay the fee, its grand at 110. Everyone on here (including myself and my mate) has had no problem with paying that amount, it'll get accepted!

thanks for the quick reply h rambles really appreciate it, so ye just paid the 110 visa fee and presume the 'international payment application form' from aib which is 20e and ye wer grand?? if ye did do this form do u remember in the CHARGES SECTION do you select the ' SHARED' or 'SENDER' charging option, this was the banks problem today that with the sender option that they dont no how much additional charges may be...sounds like shared from yer experience and ye wer okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Beethoven365

Argghhh just received my second refusal e-mail, what the hell is wrong with them?

Probably forgot to dot an I or something :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boeing100

Hello everyone!
    My girlfriend has been waiting for about 6 weeks and a half now for the final decision of the high commission on her IEC application when they told her the delay was 6 weeks. Tried to call the embassy, just a boring automated service, tried emailing using the dedicated form and never got the confirmation email to say they've received the enquiry...

From this thread, looks like other people are in similar situations. Anyone still waiting for the final answer from London? did you manage to get in touch with the embassy to see what is the hold up?

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 H Rambles

corkbai wrote: »
    thanks for the quick reply h rambles really appreciate it, so ye just paid the 110 visa fee and presume the 'international payment application form' from aib which is 20e and ye wer grand?? if ye did do this form do u remember in the CHARGES SECTION do you select the ' SHARED' or 'SENDER' charging option, this was the banks problem today that with the sender option that they dont no how much additional charges may be...sounds like shared from yer experience and ye wer okay

Yeah well i did it online and forget what the aib charge was. As far as i can remeber there is no way to incur these charges yourself that they warn against the french bank charging. Just pay exactly 110 to the french bank and you will get through no problem.

boeing100 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    My girlfriend has been waiting for about 6 weeks and a half now for the final decision of the high commission on her IEC application when they told her the delay was 6 weeks. Tried to call the embassy, just a boring automated service, tried emailing using the dedicated form and never got the confirmation email to say they've received the enquiry...

From this thread, looks like other people are in similar situations. Anyone still waiting for the final answer from London? did you manage to get in touch with the embassy to see what is the hold up?

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

They said there was a delay of a further 6 weeks?

Thats crazy, I'll have been waiting 6 weeks this thursday, its kiilling me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boeing100

H Rambles wrote: »
    They said there was a delay of a further 6 weeks?

Thats crazy, I'll have been waiting 6 weeks this thursday, its kiilling me.

No sorry, I meant that the original time they required to analyze the application was 6 weeks, but as I said that's past now :(

Looks like she is not the only one in this situation though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I'm currently on a Working Holiday Visa in Australia which doesnt run out until late December. I'm not sure if I want the 2nd year here yet, and am considering Canada as an alternative. I am a hockey fanatic and it would be a dream to live in Montreal during the Stanley Cup, and I really want to experience a Montreal winter with all the various winter sports, ice skating on the lakes etc.

From glancing through this thread it appears the process to get this visa looks absolutely painful. For Oz it was all sorted within 30 minutes, for Canada it seems dreadful in comparison.

What I am wondering is

1) Do I need to be in Ireland when applying for this visa? Or can I do it from Oz?

2) How long does the entire process take?

3) I would be looking at going very early 2012. Can you apply at any time like for Oz or is it a case of all applications open on a certain date and its first come first serve?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

04072511 wrote: »
    I'm currently on a Working Holiday Visa in Australia which doesnt run out until late December. I'm not sure if I want the 2nd year here yet, and am considering Canada as an alternative. I am a hockey fanatic and it would be a dream to live in Montreal during the Stanley Cup, and I really want to experience a Montreal winter with all the various winter sports, ice skating on the lakes etc.

From glancing through this thread it appears the process to get this visa looks absolutely painful. For Oz it was all sorted within 30 minutes, for Canada it seems dreadful in comparison.

What I am wondering is

1) Do I need to be in Ireland when applying for this visa? Or can I do it from Oz?

3) I would be looking at going very early 2012. Can you apply at any time like for Oz or is it a case of all applications open on a certain date and its first come first serve?

Thanks in advance.

Apply to it , what have you got to loose, you wil need your police certificate from ireland id say, if u have not lived in oz for more than 6 months so they say. Process takes 8 weeks in total, id say you wil need a medical b/c your in oz also. Medical processing takes 8 to 10 weeks plus 4 weeks on top 12 in total round about. Apply ASAP.

Also if your application is 100% correct and legible with no errors, this can shorten the process. Read it over and over good few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

What I am wondering is

Thanks in advance.

1. No, you don't need to be in Ireland when applying for the visa.
    2. 8 weeks minimum, start to finish.
    3. First come, first serve. The programme opens in January and continues until the allocation of five or six thousand visas has been finished, and then it will close until the following January.

It's not that painful of a process, the worst bit is all the waiting. You really need to read the requirements carefully. Most people who were rejected made dumb mistakes such as leaving out documents or forgetting to sign declarations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

2 questions that might seem silly but ill ask anyway

my cv is fairly blank, havent work since i left school 3 years ago and was in college for 6 months. will that matter?

and

the proof of funds, you have to have the 2400 in your bank acc. before even sending the app?

hi-did you put down that you are in college

• Advertisement

can2011 wrote: »
    hi-did you put down that you are in college

You should put down that you're in college.

Put the CV in chronological order and make sure it matches the application form exactly for the years and months you were working and in college, as well as college names and employer names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BarryOR

Hi all: just a quick question regarding the IEC.

My girlfriend and I applied at the same time for the IEC and both got the email confirming proof of payment.

The next day I got the email stating my file was sent to the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada in the UK.

My girlfriend has not as of today (2 weeks since proof of payment email was received) received the same email.

I am wonder what is the most likely reason for this.
    Rgds Barry

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    1. No, you don't need to be in Ireland when applying for the visa.
    2. 8 weeks minimum, start to finish.
    3. First come, first serve. The programme opens in January and continues until the allocation of five or six thousand visas has been finished, and then it will close until the following January.

It's not that painful of a process, the worst bit is all the waiting. You really need to read the requirements carefully. Most people who were rejected made dumb mistakes such as leaving out documents or forgetting to sign declarations.

So is it a case that I cant get a head start in applying for the visa until January 1st? Does this mean that realistically I wouldnt be able to head over until probably around April, as I wouldnt want to book flights until the visa is sorted? (if it takes 2 months then that would be around the start of March).

I'd be heading back to Ireland and London for a few weeks in August 2012 for the Olympics, so I'll hardly be there a few months before I'd be needing holidays from whatever work I find.

Its certainly not as flexible as the Oz WHV where you can book anytime, and receive the visa within 30 minutes. Was really hoping that if I could do Canada that I could head out there Januray/February 2012. But they obviously have a stricter limit on how many they want to let in which is fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

So is it a case that I cant get a head start in applying for the visa until January 1st? Does this mean that realistically I wouldnt be able to head over until probably around April, as I wouldnt want to book flights until the visa is sorted? (if it takes 2 months then that would be around the start of March).

I'd be heading back to Ireland and London for a few weeks in August 2012 for the Olympics, so I'll hardly be there a few months before I'd be needing holidays from whatever work I find.

Its certainly not as flexible as the Oz WHV where you can book anytime, and receive the visa within 30 minutes. Was really hoping that if I could do Canada that I could head out there Januray/February 2012. But they obviously have a stricter limit on how many they want to let in which is fair enough.

If you apply now your LOI will be valid for 12 months
    So 8 weeks from now is June you could use your letter of introduction any time up to June next year

red menace wrote: »

If you apply now your LOI will be valid for 12 months
    So 8 weeks from now is June you could use your letter of introduction any time up to June next year

But I thought the programme only opens in January? How can I apply now if it opens in January each year? Very confused :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

The programme opens in January and runs until the visas are all allocated.
    It is still open for 2011 , the letter of introduction is valid for 12 months from date of issue

red menace wrote: »
    The programme opens in January and runs until the visas are all allocated.
    It is still open for 2011 , the letter of introduction is valid for 12 months from date of issue

Thanks for that. It appears I dont need a medical either as Australia isnt on their list of designated countries.

Just filling out the Download Certificate here and its asking for my Province of current residence. Should I put down Melbourne for that? Or Victoria (which could then get confused with teh Canadian Victoria), or should I put down Dublin as I am not an Australian resident. Is it the place I am currently residing that I put down? Bit confused. Dont want to be tripping up at the first hurdle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

What company are people using for insurance?

Thanks for that. It appears I dont need a medical either as Australia isnt on their list of designated countries.

Just filling out the Download Certificate here and its asking for my Province of current residence. Should I put down Melbourne for that? Or Victoria (which could then get confused with teh Canadian Victoria), or should I put down Dublin as I am not an Australian resident. Is it the place I am currently residing that I put down? Bit confused. Dont want to be tripping up at the first hurdle here.

Yes, it's the place you're currently residing.
    Put down "Victoria, Australia" as the province. No need to complicate things.

Don't put down Dublin unless you're currently living in Dublin.

But there is barely enough space available for me to write "Melbourne". I wont be able to fit "Victoria. Australia" into the space allocated. I'd only be able to fit "Victoria" in, and that could then get confused with Victoria in British Columbia. Maybe I should just put in Melbourne as thats less confusing??

• Advertisement

But there is barely enough space available for me to write "Melbourne". I wont be able to fit "Victoria. Australia" into the space allocated. I'd only be able to fit "Victoria" in, and that could then get confused with Victoria in British Columbia. Maybe I should just put in Melbourne as thats less confusing??

Also do all the forms need to be completed by typing into the Adobe documents or can they be filled out by pen?

I'm certain I am going to make some stupid mistake filling out these forms or get confused about something and make some innocent error.

Is it acceptable to get the Garda Certs and the Bank stuff and proof of funds sent over to me by fax or scanned, or do they have to be originals, in which case they'd need to be posted to me in Australia, further slowing the process?

EDIT: Just seen that it takes approx 8 weeks for a Garda Cert to be issued, and you can probably add a week to that to post it to Australia. That makes a 2 month process now 4 months. I might aswell forget about it. All the Visas will be gone by the time I have the bleedin cert!

Seriously doesn't matter.
    Also do all the forms need to be completed by typing into the Adobe documents or can they be filled out by pen?
    Type them. Although they said they will accept handwritten forms, I wouldn't chance it.
    I'm certain I am going to make some stupid mistake filling out these forms or get confused about something and make some innocent error.
    Get people to check it.
    Is it acceptable to get the Garda Certs and the Bank stuff and proof of funds sent over to me by fax or scanned, or do they have to be originals, in which case they'd need to be posted to me in Australia, further slowing the process?
    Garda cert has to be an original.
    Proof of funds - they said a copy *may* be acceptable. Personally, I wouldn't chance it.
    EDIT: Just seen that it takes approx 8 weeks for a Garda Cert to be issued, and you can probably add a week to that to post it to Australia. That makes a 2 month process now 4 months. I might aswell forget about it. All the Visas will be gone by the time I have the bleedin cert!
    It can take less than 2 weeks for the garda cert. The visa application takes about 8 weeks start to finish. If you make any mistakes it could take twice as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Montreal is one of my favourite Canadian cities, really nice there! was there a few times and once over Christmas, didnt get to a hockey game but played once...gfs family friends rented out an arena for the night, great craic!

not sure you would what to be on the street if the Canadians go far in the stanley cup though, riots are of the order! :D

best of luck with the visa application process and keep up the log regarding the track races downunder, good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

jk86 wrote: »
    What company are people using for insurance?

I've heard people say http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/ is popular. Seems decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Du

Quick question about the insurance needed for IEC.

If we're just staying for the summer period, do we need to pay for the whole year or just for the three months?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Yumee

Hi all,

I am currently filling out the IEC forms and put down Munster as my Province..!! I have since cicked Validate-- is that wrong? If so, is there anything I can do? Also, why would I have to fill out the Section 3 'other forms' I'm not sure if they are applicable to me!!

Thanks, feel really stupid but finding the whole process confusing!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

Hey, probably a stupid question you're sick of answering but my friend can't figure it out at all! I came over to Toronto on usit's student programme last year, when I printed out the forms to send to the consulate it said that usit were my employers/sponsors in Canada, something like that! But in the IEC forms that section is blank! Do you need to have employment sorted before leaving Ireland if you want to bypass usit? If not, what goes in that section now? Again, sorry to ask what's probably been asked a thousand times :o

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stephencillian

has anyone with any dependants been accepted and arrived in canada with their LOI??

I'd Like to say thanks to everyone on this thread. It was invaluable in filling out me and my friends applications direct to the IEC. Out LOIs Arrived this morning. It was seven weeks since They arrived in Paris tomorrow so my heart was starting to race a little. To everyone still waiting I wish you a very sincere good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭velnias2010

Hey quick question I got my receipt of Acknowledgement of Receipt on April 19th From paris but haven't heard anything since then i.e to pay the fee before going to london is this timescale normal ?

Advertisement