Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mentored thread for Conn Ultra training

Options
  • 29-10-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Like myself, there were a few people talking about stepping up to Conn 2011 as their first venture into the mystic world of ultra running.

There was also some mention of one of the more experienced ultras running a mentor thread for the newbies?

Any takers?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This would be great if it happened. I would definately join the mentored group.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

That would be fab...Im in also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'd be up for this if it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey lads i think this is a great idea. Hope you dont mind me changing the thread name just thought it might invite some of the more experienced ultra guys and girls to read it rather than just the people who are looking to be mentored

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

No better mentor on this thread than the man... Mick Rice. I'll pop him a PM to see if he's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

*RQ really wishes people would stop mentioning this race and making RQ want to run it*

*RQ really wishes people would stop mentioning this race and making RQ want to run it*

But you're the one that sold it to me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Question for those who have run both - For a first timer which would you recommend Dingle or Conn?

gerard65 wrote: »
    Question for those who have run both - For a first timer which would you recommend Dingle or Conn?

Connemara is easier and has am incredible atmosphere. There is something really, really special about that race.

Dingle needs a couple more years to build up. Really enjoyable run but moe lonely and you really need to dig in to push yourself through it. In a few years dingle will be incredible in a few years.

You making the step up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

You making the step up?
    I'd like to try one at some stage, need to tick it off the list. Maybe not next year but sometime. But I'd need to change the type of training I do - big time:)

• Advertisement

If I can do dingle with no nutrition plan, 8 weeks training(well 5 really according to my log) and 2 60 mile weeks. You can do it with ease. My way is the fun way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Same here. I'll never break 3 hours in a marathon if I keep doing those damn ultras. If only they weren't so addictive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

gerard65 wrote: »

For a first timer the best one would be one that you haven't mentioned. This is the Portumna 50K. It is 10 laps of a flat 5k course with no traffic and loads of support. So all you have to do is turn up and run. Easy really.:D

Of the other two Connemara is definitely the easier of the two; obvious really as its 39.3 vs 50. There will also be more people doing it so you will have more company. It is also easier to get to as they run buses from Galway city.

Of course you could do the Longford Ultra this year. It is 39.3 miles and is on the same day as the marathon. It is a very flat course as well. They also give a great free feed at the pasta party in St Mels the night before. Very easy to get to and very well organised also.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For a first timer the best one would be one that you haven't mentioned. This is the Portumna 50K. It is 10 laps of a flat 5k course with no traffic and loads of support. So all you have to do is turn up and run. Easy really.:D
    I'd actually be tempted to give that a go next year :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

There is nothing special about ultras that requires magical mentoring. There just races, like half marathons, marathons etc, only longer. scale up your training runs a bit, and run the races a relatively slow pace.

In my experience no amount of mentoring/coaching can get anywhere near the amount you will learn by simply getting out there and doing the runs. Don't use your first ultra as a big make or break target. Use it as a learning exercise and put your experience to use on your subsequent one. Make that one your main "target" race.

Beware of falling for the "progression" trap. Just because 50km, or 39.3 miles isnt too far beyond the marathon doesn't mean that they'll be the easiest ones to do, or the best ones to experiment with fo ultrarunning. Some people (quite a lot in the ultra world) would find these much harder to do than, say, a 24 hour race, as they are so "short and fast" in comparison.

Its no more necessary to build up through ultra distances (50km.. 100km .. 24 hours etc) than it is necessary to build up to a marathon by starting to race 100metres and building up through the distances until your finally "ready" to run a marathon. Indeed, if you were a natural marathoner then trying to train fo and compete at sprints would probably only convince you that running wasn't your thing.

A real world example of that would be Tony Mangan, who is a legendary Irish ultrarunner. His marathon PB isn't particularly impressive. Even his 100km pb isn't all that spectacular. However only 2 Irish men have managed to run further than him over 24hours, and he holds world records at 48 hours.

So just pick a race you'd like to do, and don't be afraid to go much longer than you've done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Thanks Enduro...

I take your point, but the original purpose of the thread is to gather a bunch of like minded individuals who are attempting the Conn Ultra for the first time.
    Looking at some of the mentored threads for DCM, these had a real benefit for the contributors.

It would be good if there was a seasoned Ultra-type who could chime in and act as the mentor for the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

I'd be prepared to offer some guidance here. I'm not sure that I'll be on the thread every day, as my time is a little limited by circumstances at the moment. I'm also not the world's leading expert on ultras by any stretch but I hope I'd be able to offer basic advice and reasurance.

What I'd suggest for anyone who's aiming for the Connemara Ultra race is that they set out very briefly what they've done at longer distances over the last couple of years, what their current traing is like and what their ambitions for the race are.

I'm very conscious that there's a limit to what can be done on a thread like this but I suppose that shouldn't stop us trying to help each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Cheers Mick,

A discussion thread for the Conn Ultra newbies with some input from time-to-time from some of the veterans would be great.

Background for me:

14 Marathons (PB 3:26 in 2004)

Connemarathon 3;48.
    Main objective was Ironman Switzerland, which was done in 12:07, with a 4:06 marathon split.
    Was one of the 4:30 pacers for DCM.

For the Ultra, no idea what to expect beyond the 26.2, but hoping the IM activity will be a good starting point.

Cheers Mick.
    I am a relative running newcomer. Started running in february 2009. Trained for DCM 2009 off the HH Novice 1 plan. My race series results suggested sub 4 should not be a problem but I bonked over the last 8 miles and came in at 4:15.

At The start of this year I had no intention of doing a marathon again, but I set out a series of goals over shorter distances for the year. I had achieved them all by june so followwed P&D 55 MPW programme to a 3:32 DCM this year. It was a much more enjoyable experience and I even negative splitted :D I have covered over 1500 miles for the year, so far injury free, so Intend to ramp it up a notch in 2011. The Conn ultra seems to fit into this plan well.

I also intend running the Barcelona Marathon in March and am wondering should I go for a sun 3:30 PB or just run it as a training run? My goal in Conemmara is Sub 6 hours (I have money riding on this outcome :pac:).

Go for sub 3:30 in Barca. I see no reason why you can't train for a fast marathon in Barca and then go into Connemara. Krusty and myself both did that last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Does anybody have any insights on the value of back to back long runs as training for an Ultra?

The Hal Higdon comrades plan places a lot of store on back to back long runs of up to 4 and 5 hours as part of the training. I did it for my first Conn Ultra in '08 but probably didn't do enough of them. ie I did two weekends of them (24 and 30 miles) 4 weeks out from the Ultra.
    Other than that I was just doing long runs at the weekend like a normal marathon program. Admittedly these would have been longer than the normal ones but only by 4-5 miles.

At the time I wasn't doing much speed work as I just wanted to be sure that I would finish it. I did it in 6:43 but I had been aiming for 6:30 running at 10 min pace.
    The plan was to run 3 2:10 halfs back to back. I tried to run the whole thing but had to go run/walk after 30 miles and I probably shouldn't have run the hill out of Leenane. I was 4:20 for the 26.22 which was bang on but I didn't realise how much was already gone out of me.
    The last two years I haven't done as much training for it. Longest runs were 20 miles as I knew that I could get around with a run walk fairly comfortably.

I might try for the 6:30 again this year.

I've run the Connemara Ultra 3 times and I'm happy to pass on anything I've learned over the years but I wouldn't be comfortable to "mentor" a whole gang of people, especially with the likes of Mick around who has run this a) about 3 times as often and b) almost an hour faster than me.

But if anyone wants my opinion on anything related to this race, I'm happy to pass it on.

Disclaimer: at this point in time I am not planning on running this race next year

Does anybody have any insights on the value of back to back long runs as training for an Ultra?

The Hal Higdon comrades plan places a lot of store on back to back long runs of up to 4 and 5 hours as part of the training. I did it for my first Conn Ultra in '08 but probably didn't do enough of them. ie I did two weekends of them (24 and 30 miles) 4 weeks out from the Ultra.

Judging from my training for Connemara and Dingle this year, I would be wary to do too many back-to-back runs.

For Connemara I trained like a marathon runner but with longer long runs (the longest being 1x30 miles, 1x26.6 miles, 1x25 miles). During the race I felt very comfortable cruising along at 8:00 pace. I fact, I had to hold myself back to run that pace over the first third.

For Dingle I did training that would have been much closer to Hal Higdon's ultra plan, including 7 runs of at least marathon distance over 5 weeks, including a weekend of 32/27 miles and another of 30/26.5 miles, all over very hill territory, up to half of it on Kerry mountain trails.

In theory I should have been much better prepared for an ultra, in reality my "cruising" pace over the first 10 miles was closer to 8:20 and in hindsight even that was a little bit too fast. I also ran the first 39 miles in Dingle in about 5:45, which is half an hour slower than Connemara. I know Dingle featured Conor Pass during those miles and obviously I had to keep enough in store for the final 11 miles, but fact is that I felt more comfortable running a faster pace in Connemara than a slower one in Dingle.

Then again, to find out which works better for you the only thing is to try both and experience the results.

Other than that I was just doing long runs at the weekend like a normal marathon program. Admittedly these would have been longer than the normal ones but only by 4-5 miles.

At the time I wasn't doing much speed work as I just wanted to be sure that I would finish it. I did it in 6:43 but I had been aiming for 6:30 running at 10 min pace.
    The plan was to run 3 2:10 halfs back to back. I tried to run the whole thing but had to go run/walk after 30 miles and I probably shouldn't have run the hill out of Leenane. I was 4:20 for the 26.22 which was bang on but I didn't realise how much was already gone out of me.
    The last two years I haven't done as much training for it. Longest runs were 20 miles as I knew that I could get around with a run walk fairly comfortably.

I might try for the 6:30 again this year.

I'm a big advocate of back to back LSRs. Obviously I did Dingle much slower than you, but I'd never have had the confidence to even try it if I didn't do numerous back to backs. I find it much easier to do 2 x 20 miles than 1 x 30. Just in my head obviously, I always did the second run faster than the first by an average of 15 sec/mile. Act as a good confidence builder. I didn't have the endurance base at all for Dingle though. The time I got to 39.3, even taking into account the Connor Pass, says that. Depends on the person as well. I find the back to back LSR's suit me better than the alternative.

Going by your performance in Dingle and DCM you'll smash 6:30.

Disclaimer: at this point in time I am not planning on running this race next year

Same. I love this race though. The whole atmosphere in Connemara is second to none. Ray O'Connor and his team do a great job with these three races, right down to the handshake as you cross the finish line you feel like you're an important part of the day. Even if I don't run it in 2011 I plan to go back to Connemara a hell of a lot. Only race I've done that pushes DCM as my favourite race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Ill be doing conn ultra next year. Target at the moment is 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

When I ran Dublin in 2008 in 3:23 I thought if I took it down one gear I might be able to run farther so with Connemara Ultra in mind, took November off completely and followed a marathon plan, I added a long run to each of the longer runs i.e. back-to-back runs of 15/12, 18/16, 20/21 etc.
    I treated it in 3 half-marathons and targetted it around 8min pace.
    Had a wobbly moment around 32miles but got on with it and finished under 5:30
    It`s a fantastic race! I love it, love it, love it (I`m a bit biased as my first ever marathon was Connemara in 2006 in an amazingly fast time of 4:37...:o ) and I`m signed up again for 2011 Ultra!!

So who`s in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I started running from scratch in April 08.
    1st marathon April 09 followed by three more that year.
    7 marathon this year and a 50k and the 24 hour ( 137km)
    The longer the better as I am quite slow but love being out there for ages.

Am down for Comrades next May and will be doing Connemara Ultra as a training run. Am nervous about this especially as not many hills were I live. Will follow the New Zealand Ultra runners 100k training programme.

In training for the 50k I did 10/10 or 26/10 milers every alternate weekend for about 8-10 weeks. I would like to try occasional long runs 5-7 hours rather than back to backs all the time as I think there is too much recovery time between them to be able to manage the leap to major hours on the feet on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

First timer here also, doing Connemara Ultra and would also like to do Portumna 50k.

11 marathons in the bag with 3:09 PB in Dublin 2010.

Plan is to re-build the base miles over November/December then ramp it up in Jan/Feb. Hoping to do weekends of back-to-back LSRs (to total 36+ miles each weekend), and maybe alternating these with weekends with an extra-long run (so maybe a 10m + 26/27m).

Have also joined a gym and plan on doing at least some leg strength work. I assume the trick is to learn to deal with running when tired. So maybe brief treadmill warm-up, followed by weight session, followed by more treadmill. Will see how it goes.

All new territory so mostly I am looking forward to the challenge / experience.

edit: hot to trot - do you think a really long run is beneficial in training? I guess you are talking about 35+ miles at once. Speaking from no experience of such things... but are you not then actually doing the race (more or less) as part of your training, rather than learning to run when tired, which is what 20 miles the day after another 20 miles is all about (or a 10 miler the day after a marathon as a training run).

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

It’s great to see so many enthusiastic potential Conne Ultra people for 2011. It really is a special race in a special place and a great place to test the ultra waters. We also seem to have quite a few other experienced ultra-heads with Magnet and TFB contributing. Between us, I think we can help anyone who's contemplating this race to get over any unnecessary worries or anxieties. The necessary ones they’ll have to work on themselves :-) As well as having run quite a few ultras at different distances between us, we’ve also got a good deal of experience out on the course and, in Connemara at least, that counts for a lot.

When I started running ultras and casting around for guidance, one of the things that struck me most was the dearth of decent advice. The people who were actively engaged in the sport tended not to take the time to coach or advise. The advice that I did to find was useful to some degree, but often only covered broad principles and sometimes boiled down to ‘set off slowly and taper off from there’, which wasn’t what I was really looking for.

One obvious thing to say is that there are no ‘one-size-fits-all’ programmes for training for an ultra. Even ‘baby’ ultras like Connemara present an individual challenge for each and every starter. In deciding how best to train for a race like this you have to stop, look around yourself and consider what will suit your own needs and capabilities best, rather than how best you can adapt to somebody else’s training programme.

Having said that there are of course broad principles that will apply to everyone. The foundation of every ultra-marathon training regime will be miles. Quite how many miles, and in what configuration is where the individualization begins. What each of us need to work out is how best to cover as many training miles as we’re able while still enjoying the process. I’ve never liked or advocated prescriptive training plans because they’re so often counter productive. When people deviate from a set plan they often consider that they’ve failed and so lose heart. If we start from the point of view that we’ll do our best, given the hand that we’ve been dealt, there’s a much better chance that we’ll feel good about our training. Given that I would assume none of us are going to break world records, or claim gold medals in London in 2012, the most important is that we enjoy and are satisfied with the running we do, therefore it follows that anything we can do to help our selves enjoy the process is a good thing.

What I’ll do over the next few days is to look more closely at the individuals who’ve contributed to the thread and then come back with something a bit more specific. In some cases I’ll use PMs and more often I’ll post here directly. For the moment I think the best thing that anyone who is training with the Connemara Ultra in the back of their mind could do is to start working out, and putting into practice, how they can comfortably build mileage.

More soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Wally Runs,

I paid up last night for the Conn Ultra. It is to be my first, so all advice welcome. I will list out my experience and needs below.

Running History:
    12 Marathons since 2007
    Slowest, 5.48 (Medoc 2007) and fastest 3.48 (Brussels 2010)

Target for Connemara:
    To finish and not be taken off the course. Enjoy the day and training and live to repeat it.
    Expect to finish in around 6:45?

Concerns:
    Not so much the distance or time on my feet but nutrients and energy beyond 26.2 miles.

Would like to know:
    Source materials, books, web sites and the like, I plan to use an extended marathon plan, throw in some VLSR etc. but I have to research some more. Not into hardcore running thanks, no Palaeolithic diets for me please! and advice for the day in due course, packing bags etc.

Advertisement