Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession, Me Arse

Options
  • 09-09-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it's hard to believe there's a recession happening when so many places still give really bad customer service. I've had a few occurances over the last while, but today's took the biscuit...

I ordered some paper last week from a company in Dublin - 50 rolls of A1 size sheets for a printer. The delivery guy arrived today & started to unload the boxes, leaving them propped up against the wall just inside the gates leading to my office / studio.

After a few minutes, I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office. He said that he only delivered to the "point of entry" & I would have to bring them there myself.

The storeroom is about 20 foot away from the gate.

I told him again that I wanted them put in the storeroom, that I didn't have time for this malarky & that I'd paid his company to deliver the paper to my office & not drop them against a wall beside the gate.

He looked at me with a big, thick head on him & said, "well, de ye bleedin' want 'em or naat - coz I can leave 'em here or take 'em back?"

I told him to take them back.

So he did. And drove all the way back to Dublin with them. A 400km round trip drive for nothing.

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot.

Recession, me arse.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Meh, I don't like people telling me my job either.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

did ya want him to put them in the printers aswell and log on to the pc and print off your work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Why wouldn't you go 20ft? He went 400km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

what's flutterin gonna wipe his arse with now??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Did you offer him a cuppa after his big schlep?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

20 feet away?

Couldn't you have just moved them yourself? The delivery man did his job by delivering them to you. So what he didn't place them in the place you wanted, how was he to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Why didn't you just bring them into the storeroom? That guy is only paid to do his job and what you were asking wasn't not in his job description. Looks like you'll have to order that cheap second hand bog paper from now on, sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Sometimes it's hard to believe there's a recession happening when so many places still give really bad customer service. I've had a few occurances over the last while, but today's took the biscuit...

I ordered some paper last week from a company in Dublin - 50 rolls of A1 size sheets for a printer. The delivery guy arrived today & started to unload the boxes, leaving them propped up against the wall just inside the gates leading to my office / studio.

After a few minutes, I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office. He said that he only delivered to the "point of entry" & I would have to bring them there myself.

I told him again that I wanted them put in the storeroom, that I didn't have time for this malarky & that I'd paid his company to deliver the paper to my office & not drop them against a wall beside the gate.

He looked at me with a big, thick head on him & said, "well, de ye bleedin' want 'em or naat - coz I can leave 'em here or take 'em back?"

So he did. And drove all the way back to Dublin with them. A 400km round trip drive for nothing.

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot.

Recession, me arse.
    Down with that sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Well there was probably a good reason for that, I would say the company has some health and safety requirements etc in place in case the guy makes an injury claim should he fall down the stairs to your storeroom.

Adam wrote: »
    what's flutterin gonna wipe his arse with now??
    You wipe your arse with Printing Paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You had me up to this bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

A delivery man's job is to deliver the item to the front door and that's it. Whenever I've worked in a business that would take deliveries it was always to the front door and then it was the staff's responsibility after that.

It was incredibly lazy of him under the circumstances to not move them 20ft to avoid a wasteful 400km round trip, but then again it's also not his duty to deliver them to the stockroom, only the front door of the premises. IMO you're both to blame here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Wheres that tiny violin gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Gaudizeit wrote: »
    did ya want him to put them in the printers aswell and log on to the pc and print off your work?

No - that's my job. I know how to do it & don't expect someone else to hold my hand while I'm doing it.

That was my point.

You wouldn't go to a restaurant & have the chef cook you a dinner, but tell you that you have to plate it up youself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Meh, he's just gonna fake your signature and dump them in a ditch. Now you'll spend hours complaining to some low paid bitchy accountant for the next two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No - that's my job. I know how to do it & don't expect someone else to hold my hand while I'm doing it.

That was my point.

You wouldn't go to a restaurant & have the chef cook you a dinner, but tell you that you have to plate it up youself.
    No, but what happened is not comparable to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Realy, delivering to point of entry is pretty standard
    Have you got public liability insurance on your premises?

Lift the delivery the final 20ft yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

That was my point.

Buffet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

That was my point.

All you can eat buffet?...........................no recession with you so!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well if the postman doesnt bring my letters and packages to my kitchen table, which is all of 10 feet from my front door, I tell him take them back, lazy fcuking bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Recession, me arse.

In fairness, you could have helped him bring half the boxes to the storeroom.

Reminds me of this.:)
    Job Responsibility
    by Charles Osgood

There was a most important job that needed to be done,
    And no reason not to do it, there was absolutely none.
    But in vital matters such as this, the thing you have to ask
    Is who exactly will it be who'll carry out the task?

Anybody could have told you that everybody knew
    That this was something somebody would surely have to do.
    Nobody was unwilling; anybody had the ability.
    But nobody believed that it was their responsibility.

It seemed to be a job that anybody could have done,
    If anybody thought he was supposed to be the one.
    But since everybody recognised that anybody could,
    Everybody took for granted that somebody would.

But nobody told anybody that we are aware of,
    That he would be in charge of seeing it was taken care of.
    And nobody took it on himself to follow through,
    And do what everybody thought that somebody would do.

When what everybody needed so did not get done at all,
    Everybody was complaining that somebody dropped the ball.
    Anybody then could see it was an awful crying shame,
    And everybody looked around for somebody to blame.

Somebody should have done the job
    And Everybody should have,
    But in the end Nobody did
    What Anybody could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That was my point.

Whenever I go to a restaurant, they give me a white jacket and a big hat, and drag me into the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'm with the OP on this one. Feckin stinking attitude from the delivery guy. I would complain to the company you ordered them from and see what their response is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

He should not have used that toner voice.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Whenever I go to a restaurant, they give me a white jacket and a big hat, and drag me into the kitchen.

They only do that to me when I "forget me wallet" but I piss in the soup, so it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

It's not really a black and white situation

Trekker09 wrote: »
    It's not really a black and white situation
    Considering it's paper, and not Ink, I would agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I'm with the OP on this one. Feckin stinking attitude from the delivery guy. I would complain to the company you ordered them from and see what their response is like.

They rang me when their delivery guy got back & they were well p*ssed off with what happened. Not only did they not get paid for the paper, but wasted money paying the gimp for his time & the diesel.

I probably should have explained earlier too, that it had been raining, so the ground he was leaving the paper on was wet & as I was in the middle of a meeting with a client when he arrived, I didn't have time to help him unload the boxes, which I would normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

customer service has dropped big time since the recession, you still can't get anyone to do a job (tiling, plumbing etc) these days and when you do get someone they f**k you over and its not just confined to ireland, i was over in las vegas in march and that city has been one of the worst affected in the states, yet customer service in many establishments is terrible compared to even 3 years ago when business was booming there

• Advertisement

They rang me when their delivery guy got back & they were well p*ssed off with what happened. Not only did they not get paid for the paper, but wasted money paying the gimp for his time & the diesel.

I probably should have explained earlier too, that it had been raining, so the ground he was leaving the paper on was wet & as I was in the middle of a meeting with a client when he arrived, I didn't have time to help him unload the boxes, which I would normally do.

Thread fail turnaround attempt fail :pac:

Advertisement