Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Playstation 3 has been "jailbroken" *MOD NOTE POST 220*

Options
  • 19-08-2010 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Took this of a message board guys

http://psjailbreak.com/index.php

To quote from their page (linked above) on the PSJailBreak Specifications:

- PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.
    - Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.
    - Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA
    - PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.
    - Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)
    - Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.
    - Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.
    - Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.
    - Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.

PSJailBreak F.A.Q.:

Q: Is PS Jailbreak easy to install?
    A: Yes, it is a plug and play solution. It takes 1 second to fully install, without modifying or opening your console.

Q: Does it permanently modify my console?
    A: No of course not, once you unplug it from the usb port it is completely disabled.

Q: How do you install PS Jailbreak?
    A: Please consult our downloads page for our instruction manual. We have done our best to make it as thorough as possible to answer all setup and troubleshooting issues.

Q: What is the warranty?
    A: PS Jailbreak is sold with a 1 year warranty. All our resellers will take care of warranty issues.

Read more:
    Code:
    http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-hacks/psjailbreak-playstation-3-jailbreak-ps3-consoles-arrives-112034.html#ixzz0x1nICkoE

Is this bull or what????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Hmmm ....... I think i'll leave my skeptical hat on for a bit longer with regard to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭theothers108

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Seems too good to be true.

Will wait for more videos to surface before buying into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

reading a couple of sites, and seems so far to be the real deal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Bullplop don't believe it for a second !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

ps3news took the forum down :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Ugh, I hate the use of the term 'jailbreak'. Is 'hacking' a dirty word now thanks to Apple fans? It actually fills me with rage! /pedantry

Dunno if I'd bother hacking my PS3 if this is indeed real. It depends on what kind of homebrew comes out for it. It's not like most games take that long to load anyways, but I guess it would give your disc drive a rest.

You'd need a monster hard drive to take ps3 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

Just see this report there is it true ?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/19/ps3-modchip-claims-to-finally-allow-backing-up-games-without-inv/

Is it possible.....

Can it be....

Hell Yeah I hope so.

Your thoughts and words.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ChuckNorrisgod, please check to see if there's another thread on the topic before starting a new one. It was the first thread on the front page.

Oh, and please no promoting of piracy in this thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

as per the comments on YT, you can hear the discs being swapped at 1.23.

if it is true, im very surprised that the music and intro screen when the disc is highlighted takes the same amount of time to load as off a disc.

not believing this myself until further proof is provided

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

as per the comments on YT, you can hear the discs being swapped at 1.23.

if it is true, im very surprised that the music and intro screen when the disc is highlighted takes the same amount of time to load as off a disc.

not believing this myself until further proof is provided

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=8IDaGne0u-4

Second vid with ps3 always in view.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,866 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man i remember doing this on the orignal xbox and it was brilliant

rizzla wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=8IDaGne0u-4

Second vid with ps3 always in view.

touché
    Headshot wrote: »
    Man i remember doing this on the orignal xbox and it was brilliant

still have my hd loader on ps2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Where can you buy this? http://psjailbreak.com/ ain't working for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

From what i've read about it is that this only works on Debug PS3s, if you look at the vid at 44 seconds you can see "Install Package Files" which is a Debug only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Seems too good to be true.

Can I ask why people hold this view?

I would have thought this is somewhat bad news in the sense that development houses are going to be looking into a (potentially) massive drop in revenue, resulting in some going out of business etc?

jenno86 wrote: »
    Where can you buy this? http://psjailbreak.com/ ain't working for me!

http://www.ozmodchips.com/

I wouldn't get it just yet. Wait until it's 100% confirmed to work and comes down in price abit. $170 Australian is about €120 not including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Ya, I'll wait a while alright. They have it overpriced I'd say anyway, Take a look at the price of the NDS Cards :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Fizman wrote: »
    Can I ask why people hold this view?

I would have thought this is somewhat bad news in the sense that development houses are going to be looking into a (potentially) massive drop in revenue, resulting in some going out of business etc?

Personally, I wouldnt use this hack for retail games (all though alot would). Some of the homebrew that came out for a hacked PSP were brilliant, can only imagine what they could do with a PS3. And lets not forget, having every SNES game on an emulator at your finger tips isn't a bad thing either.

I can see where you're coming from all the same. All the positives come with their negatives (piracy, cheat exploits, etc.). If this is true, Sony will do everything in their power to stop it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I have no idea what this means. Does it mean you can install games and not need the disc in future? Or something completely different?

As you can see, I am technologically....dumb.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I have no idea what this means. Does it mean you can install games and not need the disc in future? Or something completely different?

As you can see, I am technologically....dumb.

Right now it just looks like you can back up your games to a hard drive and play them with any PS3 game in the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

rizzla wrote: »
    Right now it just looks like you can back up your games to a hard drive and play them with any PS3 game in the system.

Ah right. How do people take advantage of that then, just buy/rent/loan games and return them, and then they have the full copy on their machine yeah?

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ah right. How do people take advantage of that then, just buy/rent/loan games and return them, and then they have the full copy on their machine yeah?

Exactly. However if this does work expect future modders with their foot in the door to fully open the PS3 to all kinds of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

On the whole discussion of jailbreaking or hacking, am I right in thinking its an age thing? Or maybe a "means" thing?

For example, I had a modded original Xbox (which I still have), and in the past have acquired materials of questionable origin (<-- thats lawyer-speak) for it, but it was shortlived. I dont see the thrill or temptation in it anymore, Id much rather support the industry as I respect the amount of work and effort that goes into developing a game. I also have the "means" to purchase games, so thats another tick in the box of reasons not to indulge in illegality.

Also, I think with the recent competition between Xbox and PS3 and the subsequent price drops, its become a lot fairer. I always use the beer index when Im weighing up the value of something: The price of a game is now comparable to about 10 beers; will I get more or less enjoyment out of the game or the 10 beers?

Thoughts?

Also, I think with the recent competition between Xbox and PS3 and the subsequent price drops, its become a lot fairer. I always use the beer index when Im weighing up the value of something: The price of a game is now comparable to about 10 beers; will I get more or less enjoyment out of the game or the 10 beers?

Thoughts?

Well if you want fair then I guess the PS3 should have to deal with piracy too much like the Xbox 360 does. It's only fair ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

"Homebrew" yea, that's what's causing all the excitement. :rolleyes:

Personally I hope Sony sue the living **** out of all of them.

id love to be able to back up the games i have to a hard drive, was so handy on the ps2 and i didnt have to worry about the lens getting worn out (other than to initially load the loader disc). this is more a convenience and hardware longevity gadget for me than a piracy tool. I certainly wont be purchasing at the current cost.

on the renting / copying games issue, i rent my games for a month for €10, in which time ill have usually platinumed it so dont ever feel the need to go back to them. Very few games anymore seem to demand my attention longer than that (possibly gt5 will be the only one i can think of). Doubt im contributing very much to the industry as it is, esp as the last game i bought on release date for full price was GTA4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

gizmo wrote: »
    "Homebrew" yea, that's what's causing all the excitement. :rolleyes:

Personally I hope Sony sue the living **** out of all of them.

Didn't Apple lose a case regarding the jailbreak software available for their handsets? Could that set a precedent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »
    Didn't Apple lose a case regarding the jailbreak software available for their handsets? Could that set a precedent?

And Nintendo won one, which is more of a precedent than a that dealing with a phone. it's also illegal in most countries to even try and bypass any from of security, if all that stop piracy on the ps3 was a simple password "123" and you knew it without the having a good reason (job) then that would be illegal. the last ps3 firmware allows it to be partially updated and no longer requires the full firmware, so Sony can update it as often as they like now.
    "The fact that a device may be used for a purpose which does not involve infringement of copyright does not mean that the sole intended purpose is not the unauthorised circumvention of a technical device."

Advertisement