Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that is a long run...The continuing adventires of Hunny Monster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

That would be great! If you drop Steff an email (address on the blog or pm me) then she can send you / your friend the press release.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

RQ ;)If you are planning an overnight you will need to provide your own accommodation (unless you are tall, blonde, drop dead gorgeous and have the morals of an alley cat)

1 outta 4;)......but which 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Looking forward to following this adventure.

I'm in awe. Best of luck HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

That would be great! If you drop Steff an email (address on the blog or pm me) then she can send you / your friend the press release.

Thanks!

bottom, she's only gone on holidays :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Thanks for the good wishes. It's getting scary now. it's amazing the dreams/nightmares (delete as appropriate) that the prospect of a week of being sweaty with amadeus conjures up! Poor guy, I think it came a bit of a shock to him when he got the crewing document and realised just what is involved. I have to say both Amadeus and more especially Mrs A have done so much work for this you would not believe the number of emails, phone calls and lists that are in existence.

Thanks also to the boardsies who have donated to the Carers association. I know they will use your donation wisely.

Anyway, it's all serious now. If you've offered to help out at any stage along the route, and have not yet received an email from Mrs A or myself with details, could I please, please ask you to drop me a pm with your email address, contact number and the part of the country you are in and I will get the details to you straight away. If your granny lives along the route, if you know the local farmer or even that ex boyfriend that ended badly is in the area's we're passing, could you ask them them to come out and give us a cheer. It's all too easy to give up when noone is looking. Not so easy when a friendly face is cheering.

• Advertisement

it's amazing the dreams/nightmares (delete as appropriate) that the prospect of a week of being sweaty with amadeus conjures up!

Let's get physical baby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

wow! What an incredible challenge! so brave!! Best of luck, will be following your progress!!! Will see if i know anyone en route who i can get cheering!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi HM, any insight on how you have prepared for this massive undertaking 'delightful tip-toe through the tulips' from Malin to Mizen? What do you think will be the greatest challenge?

I really don't know. Last time I did a really long distance, it was nutrition that floored me. I just couldn't keep anything down. Le Cheile has been very generous with his expertise in this area this time and I think we have a pretty good feeding plan if all goes well but that's my big worry. Mind you it's never what you think will get you that gets you in the end. Things I've tried to consider include

hypothermia - I get cold as soon as I stop moving so that crew have enough warm gear for a polar mission

hip - I did something to my hip in the Limerick marathon and it's not happy when still. It is fine a couple of miles into a run but who knows what 5-6 days of ultramarathons will do to it

route: we;ve tried to get the shortest route possible but this means a lot of back roads: will the camper van fit under bridges? will we get lost? will amadeus stop in a chipper and never be seen again? Anyone who knows the areas we're passing through, fee free to send us info

becoming "difficult": I know I'm going to be cranky and demanding and an all out cow when tired. I just hope it doesn't ruin a good friendship with amadeus and MrsA.

Hi Guys,
    Can I send out another rallying call for some more support runners for Saturday? I'd really appreciate some friendly faces out there.

again the map is
    here

Saturday 22nd May
    leave Enniskillen first thing (5:45)

8am Bannlinamore
    11:45 Longford
    13:30 Clogh
    15:30 Rathmore (start bypassing Athlone)
    17:15 Ballinahone
    Staying in Athlone Saturday night

• Advertisement

route: we;ve tried to get the shortest route possible but this means a lot of back roads: will the camper van fit under bridges? will we get lost? will amadeus stop in a chipper and never be seen again? Anyone who knows the areas we're passing through, fee free to send us info

becoming "difficult": I know I'm going to be cranky and demanding and an all out cow when tired. I just hope it doesn't ruin a good friendship with amadeus and MrsA.

If I'm following the route correctly it goes past Harry's Fish and Chip shop close to where we cross the border, about 200 yrds from where my Granny used to live and it does *excellent* chips. It will be an early test of my resolve to see this through.

And HM will not be at all cranky, demanding or cow like, at any point. Cos if she is
    I'll pee in her lucozade :D
    Shhhhh don't tell her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

massive respect to you again

Any idea what day/time you'll be between Newport and Herbertstown?

A word of warning the route between Newport and Murroe has some really sharp hills so keep something in the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

mitresize5 wrote: »
    massive respect to you again

Any idea what day/time you'll be between Newport and Herbertstown?

A word of warning the route between Newport and Murroe has some really sharp hills so keep something in the tank

+1 HM this section Nenagh to Newport is right by the Silvermines and is VERY hilly with a couple of toughies. Just to echo mitresize5 on it. Particulary the Shalee Upper section. A long drag of 3km with a bite of it at 10+% gradient.

The good news is that I'll be right beside you for it if I can and I'll push you up it if needed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

+1 HM this section Nenagh to Newport is right by the Silvermines and is VERY hilly with a couple of toughies. Just to echo mitresize5 on it. Particulary the Shalee Upper section. A long drag of 3km with a bite of it at 10+% gradient.

The good news is that I'll be right beside you for it if I can and I'll push you up it if needed :D

I run that route quite alot. Nenagh to Silvermines is not t00 bad. Silvermines to newport is a toughy allright esp as you leave silvermines and up that longggggggggg steep hill. One more steep hill after that and it's mostly down hill into Newport. Newport to Murroe isn't too bad, a few drags and a long drag as you come into Murroe.

I'm down to run that bit with HM too, so might see you Mcos

Wibble....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sorry wont be around to see this or read about it till monday week, as off on hols.

But do you have a link to your sponorship website so I can support you?

Www.mycharity.ie/events/every_step_of_the_way
    thanks average runner. You're a star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Wibble....

There'd be worries about your sanity if you weren't nervous at this stage, take it as a good sign. Best of luck, don't set off too fast, if anyone can do this, you can. Remember it all goes downhill according to the map:)

lol, downhill eh, it seems like every conversation I've had over the last couple of days has been "I'll run a bit with you between X&Y, it's a bit of a drag uphill but nothing too bad". THe last time someone said that to me (It was indeed you do'pop) the drag was almost a sheer cliff so I don't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just think of it like this: If you were to take the train, you would have to run from Malin to Derry, hop on a train from Derry to Belfast (2 hours 40 mins), hop on a train from Belfast to Connolly (another 2 hours 40 mins), LUAS from Connolly to Heuston (45 mins), a train from Heuston to Mallow (2 hours 30 mins), another train from Mallow to Banteer (20 mins), and then you'd have to run all the way to Mizen.

So in effect, by running the route, you're cutting about two days off the journey, and saving yourself around €145. :)

• Advertisement

Driving north now to meet HM in the worlds biggest camper van, which I can barely get into because of all her "stuff"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

best of luck on this 1 to jo and her team.....what time are ye kickin off at tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Best of luck Hunnymonster and crew!! I won't be near where you are passing, but I'll be with you in spirit, & I'll keep checking for updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I'll add my best wishes to Hunnymonster and her crew. Looks like a very warm weekend but I'm sure your well prepared. Look forward to following the blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Very best wishes guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Have fun on the road!

Up at 5am on the road at 5:45 :eek:

First a HUGE HUGE thanks to the guys who have thrown money in the pot, it's much appreciated.

I'm knackered - I've had flu for teh last week (was barely functional Sat and Sun / Mon spent in bed) so I need to head and get some rest too. We've eaten now and Jo is in bed resting up, couple of minor hitches today which to be honest we expected. But nothing we'll lose sleep over and nothing that will affect the record attempt. Fuller details are in the blog, we'll try and keep it and this thread updated for anyone interested.

Must... sleep... now... (imagine what I'd be like if I actually ran the bloody thing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Best of luck HM, I'm totally inspired by this. And best of luck to the crew. Won't be near where you're passing unfortunately but will be wishing you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Wibble....

Legend, I nominate that for post of the year!

Best of luck to HM and crew. I'm very tempted to try and steal a few hours to get across monster spotting/supporting at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Good Luck Joanne...!!

Time now to focus on the task in had and leave all other thoughts behind. Try to enjoy some of it if possible. You're starting out on the adventure of a lifetime and you have hundreds of people by your side.

Mick.

Advertisement