Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon - Boards Relay Chat

Options
  • 05-02-2010 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

As some of you will know two Boards teams entered and completed the Marathon Relay last year and had some fun in the process. I've PM'd Woddle who led the initiative last time. He is a bit busy at present but he, as I'm sure a lot of us would, would like to see the same happen again.

So I'm starting the thread but will then back out as I'm entering the full monty this time. But these are my suggestions.

1. We need volunteer captains who will be responsible for all their team's admin including getting properly entered, liaising with team members and getting the team out on race day. Not a straightforward task.

2. The 'A' team to be made up of Boards AC members only and have runners who will be able to target a sub-3 time.

3. Other teams to be made up of any posters who wish to take part. Depending on the response there need be no limit to the number of boards teams.

4. How about at least one all-female team?

OK, over to everyone to put their names down, either as team captain or team member.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'll put my name down for the Boards AC team straight away. I should be able for doing two legs again if needed, assuming the distances don't change too much, but that kind of thing will all depend on how many and who we get in the team I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

Still trying to decide whether to go to Cork or do the women's mini-marathon, but if I decide to go for Cork I'd be very interested in being part of an all-female team :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Count me in also, had a very enjoyable time last year minus the speeding fine and penalty points :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and here is the reports from the Boards AC team from last year:
    http://boardsac.blogspot.com/2009/06/cork-relay-and-team-wore-from-boards-ac.html

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the presence of the Brazillians again, but with our time last year of 3:03:31 we had the impressive finishing place of 18th out of 1100+. Great opportunity to claim some bragging rights about finishing so high up a marathon field and with a time that you may struggle to get doing the whole distance on ones own, just leave out the details about it being a relay and everyone will be impressed, Brazillians especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

robinph wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the presence of the Brazillians again
    If you could guarantee the babes again they'd all do it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Buoyed by my recent 35:27 at the raheny 5mile, I'll put my name down for this. hopefully by then I'll be capable of a 33:xx 5 mile. I am a Boards AC member but would be happy on a B/C/D team too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Woddle wrote: »
    Count me in also, had a very enjoyable time last year minus the speeding fine and penalty points :D

I kinda feel guilty now for breaking-up last years relay team :o.
    Sorry about that guys.

But menoscemo seems to be an able replacement (similar time targets to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I will put myself down as a possible at this stage as doing Edinburgh 2 weeks beforehand and until the new route and relay changeovers are confirmed, i'll hold fire. Would love to be able to do the relay once the body is ok.

Was on Ken Egan's weather website today (the NZ guy) and he claims that the last week of May and first week of June will be warm this year so perhaps another heatwave for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Can you count me in for this also, BAC member - would love to try out for the A team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Ah damn it! I wont be able to do this! Looks like a great idea, but I'll be in Buffalo NY that week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Put me down as a maybe on a (reasonably) slow relay team, was thinking about doing the full but robinph did his best to try to talk me out of it on Saturday night... Can't remember if it was the fact that it was the wrong time of year or the promise of a pint the night before...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

For info:

The 2009 relay changeover points have not been changed. The modifications to the course, however, mean that the distances between the relay points have changed.
    The shortest leg is now the fifth and final stage, at about 4.5 miles long. It’s about a mile longer than the 2009 short leg, but to make up for that you get honour of the wonderful finish on St Patrick’s Street! The longest stage for 2010 is the third stage, from Ringmahon Road to Victoria Road, measuring about 5.8 miles on a very flat surface.

The relay stages are now as follows:

Stage 1: St Patrick’s Street to Silversprings: 5.5 miles

Stage 2: Silversprings to Ringmahon Road: 5.5 miles

Stage 3: Ringmahon Road to Victoria Road: 5.8 miles

Stage 4: Victoria Road to Model Farm Road: 5.2 miles

Stage 5: Model Farm Road to St Patrick’s Street: 4.6 miles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If theres a team short a member or two I can hop in. I'm doing Edinburgh two weeks beforehand and still deciding on whether to do the full in Cork or not, so, if I'm not doing the full I can 'help' fill a team(selfless aren't I?):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Still hoping to do it myself, just can't seem to get over this injury, getting quite frustrating now but I really want to make the Cork and Wicklow way relay teams.

Those relay legs are more even distances this time which is good. It does make doubling up on doing two legs not as attractive a prospect though, so teams of 5 are better if we can manage that. I would still be happy to do the two legs of 4 & 5 if really needed though, but a team of 5 is better.

Potential Team Members
    robinph - BAC
    Woddle - BAC
    menoscemo - BAC
    RAL3 - BAC
    xebec - ?
    chinguetti - ?
    TheLargerBowl (RK) - F
    RacoonQueen - F

Not certain who above is BAC members or not, but we need more F people to make up a Team Ms. boardsie if possible. We have 8 names already though which is what we had last year so we can aim for two teams of 4 already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oh if I do two legs, I too want 4 & 5 as I want all the glory. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I'd be up for doing the ladies relay. I'm also running Edinburgh two weeks before but should be ok for it.

Yep Robin i'm a signed up member of BAC but have Edinburgh 2 weeks beforehand so if the legs hold together i would do a leg (boom boom). The first leg looks nice from memory of last year but tis a bit away yet.

I don't mind going in the B or C team if we end up with one. Does anyone know when the sign off day is for entering, early May perhaps?

Potential Team Members
    robinph - BAC
    Woddle - BAC
    menoscemo - BAC
    RAL3 - BAC
    xebec - ?
    chinguetti - BAC
    TheLargerBowl (RK) - F
    RacoonQueen - F
    Purpleskye - F

The closing date for entries is 10th May, but the prices start going up from the 31st March.

Team entry
    unti 31st March - €90
    1st - 30th April - €100
    1st - 10th May - €110

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Put me down as 100% on this. Since limerick is out and im back running in april - any of these legs will be grand and handy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

I will probably be interested in taking one of these legs...

Not two and hopefully not the same heat as last year..

I'll stick to the slower team wouldn't want to ruin your sub3 marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Put me down for the slowest of the teams. I am a BAC member. Its 3 weeks after the Connemara ultra but I should be back running by then.

Potential Team Members
    robinph - BAC
    Woddle - BAC
    menoscemo - BAC
    RAL3 - BAC
    xebec - ?
    chinguetti - BAC
    TheLargerBowl (RK) - F
    RacoonQueen - F
    Purpleskye - F
    ULstudent - ?
    blind_hurler - ?
    mithril - BAC

Well that's 12 of us so far which is enough for three teams if people are willing to double up on legs. Better if we can get a couple more people interested, and a couple more F types to have an all female team.

So are people willing to admit to a recent 5mile or 10k time? We could either stick all the faster people in one team and go for the win, or spread everyone all out amongst the teams evenly and make a race of it?

I've got 29:11 from Raheny 5 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

robinph wrote: »
    ..... and go for the win.....

2007 - 2:19:51
    2008 - 2:23:38
    2009 - 2:19:44

......Nice going!

We may need to trip a few people up along the way. :D

Did 33 mins and change in Raheny but as i'm doing Edinburgh 2 weeks before, i can't guarantee the speed will be there. I miss the 3 mile sectionall of a sudden.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Should be able to get around 1 leg if you need people. Wont know for a few more weeks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

36 and a bit in Raheny - out injured at moment but hopefully back in the saddle soon

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

39:xx in Crookstown 10 k in December but struggling with injuries since then and I think I have gone back a bit.

I will be running both an Ultra and full marathon between now and then so there is a reasonable possibility of aggravating what injuries I have and not making the start line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

35:27 in Raheny 5 mile. That was a big PB for me and I plan continuing the improvement over the coming months. Niggling injury at the moment but it's not too serious and I am plannng the MBC 5k and the Great Ireland run over the next month or so.

Advertisement