Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options
  • 20-11-2009 9:50pm
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So after a year of my previous log, I've decided it's time for a new one. Fresh start and all of that, as they say :)

I've decided to focus on the shorter stuff for the rest of this year and the first half of 2010, mainly because I could really do without the stress and the recovery time of a marathon in the second semester of my masters. My current plan is to try and bag some PBs over the shorter distances in the first half of 2010 and build my mileage slowly to a solid 35-40 miles per week average before starting a good intermediate program for Dublin next year.

-- Stats --
    25/female
    5'6"/67kg (this needs to come down a bit!)

-- PBs --
    5k 26.22 (March '09 - MSB St Patrick's Day 5k)
    5 mile 42.35 (July '09 - Irish Runner 5 Mile)
    10k 53.55 (September '09 - Pearl Izumi Run Like An Animal 10k)
    10 mile 1:37:44 (August '09, this is soft as I was recovering from an injury at the time - Frank Duffy 10 Mile)
    HM: 1:58:55 (September '09 - Dublin Half-Marathon)
    Marathon: 4:24:56 (October '09 - Dublin Marathon)

-- Planned races for 2010 --

Raheny 5 - late January
    St Patrick's Day 5k
    Great Ireland Run - April
    Women's Mini-Marathon (or Cork relays, depends what way things go) - June bank holiday weekend
    Clontarf half (maybe)
    Adidas race series
    Pearl Izumi 10k (purely because it's at my back door really!)
    Dublin Marathon

-- Goals --

Get the weight into the 58-60kg range... *puts chocolate away*

Sub-25 for 5k at the Jingle Bells 5k in a couple of weeks from now (My first 3 miles of the Irish Runner 5 mile was done in 25.10-ish, so I think I'm good for a sub-25 now!), and to have a 5k PB that starts with a 23 by the end of 2010

Any PB for 5 mile at Raheny, and sub-40 in the summer over 5 miles.

Sub-50 for 10k at some stage next year (this is going to be tough)

1:25 10 mile

1:50 HM

The biggie: I want to go sub-4 in Dublin next year. This is probably going to be the hardest of the lot, because McMillan currently predicts 4:11.

And to start the log: A very pleasant 7.5 miles this evening (9.30/mile pace). Best evening of the week to be out by a long shot, and my longest run since DCM. Happy kirby is happy :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck with the new log RK. You have set yourself some challenging goals there (that said I fancy you will go sub 24 in jingle bells;)) but I am sure you will achieve them all and more as you have in the past....

Happy Birthday.
    I also got out for my first proper long rung sinc DCM tonight and it felt great!!

Give me a shout if you need a lift down to the Jinlge bells race BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Onwards and upwards RK - you are a true role model to anyone starting out running. Look forward to seeing your progression BUT you have done so well thus far, don't get disheartened if and when you plateau. Be happy with what you have achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Best of luck with the new log and goals RK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Best of luck RK, they're nice goals to line up for the next year. I think if you do get a nice run of training and achieve your weight loss goals they're all well within your range - looking forward to tracking the journey.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Best of luck with your new log, and your new goals. I know youll do them, once you set your sights on something, its as good as yours. :)

Will watch your progress with interest, and envy, most likely!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck with the new log RK. Really enjoyed the other one, so looking forward to this one! Best of luck with all your goals, reckon you'll hit every one without too much difficulty:)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Got out for 3 miles (9.20/mile pace) this afternoon in a break between the lashings of rain. Windy as hell, but felt good to get out because after looking at the weather forecast I didn't think I'd get out this weekend at all!
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    Onwards and upwards RK - you are a true role model to anyone starting out running. Look forward to seeing your progression BUT you have done so well thus far, don't get disheartened if and when you plateau. Be happy with what you have achieved.

If I plateau - so be it. I'll still have fun finding that point though!

"Shoot for the moon, and if you miss you'll be one of the stars" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

RK - very best of luck with this log and your future goals. You have had a phenomenal year. We will no doubt cross paths next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck with the new goals Rainbow. I have no doubt you'll achieve them:cool:
    most of your current pbs are my targets for next year :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck with the new log RK.

• Advertisement

6 miles this evening (9.18/mile average pace). Started off easy, it started raining after 4 miles so I picked up the pace. Did the last mile at 8.18/mile average pace, and did the last km in 4.53 - only the third time in my life I've run 1km in less than 5 minutes :D

Felt really good to get out this evening, had a rather stressful start to the day because I got stuck in traffic really badly this morning on the way to a Java exam in Blackrock (which I completely owned :D ). Then pigged out on cake when I got back to Belfield, so I really needed to get out and minimise the cake-related waistline damage!

4 miles this afternoon (9.10/mile pace), wind in my face the whole time. Now to try and get some bloody work done...

And another 4 miles this evening (9.18/mile pace), bit cooler tonight than it has been but overall not too bad :)

Gotta love procrastination runs... the ones where you know you've a ton of work to do, but you just want to get out anyway!

You sure are still racking up the mileage since dcm! I find it nice these days, running in the cold. Oh, and thanks for telling me Im not slow, but its all relative isnt it?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck with the new log and your goals for next year Rainbow. The amazing progress you made in the past year is nothing short of inspirational. Will see you again at the DCM and hopefully at a race or two before:)

Oryx wrote: »
    I find it nice these days, running in the cold.
    Ditto! Cold (0-5C), calm, dry weather is probably my favourite running weather (once you're properly dressed for it). :)

And just to back up my previous point... 6 miles @ 9.24/mile pace this evening :)

I honestly don't know what's happened to my running lately, but whatever it is I'd like to bottle it and save it for the rough times!

6 miles this morning, 8.54/mile average pace, and it didn't feel like a crazy huge effort. 3C and sunny out, loving it! :)

I honestly don't know what's happened to my running lately, but whatever it is I'd like to bottle it and save it for the rough times!

6 miles this morning, 8.54/mile average pace, and it didn't feel like a crazy huge effort. 3C and sunny out, loving it! :)

Totally agree with you there Rainbow. All of a sudden my runs seem to be getting faster, feeling easier and just going really great. Long may it last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

I'd say part of it could be that you've recovered from the marathon and your body has recovered from the race and leaving you with the benefit of the heavy training. Perfect time for a couple of short races to record where you are then start into another cycle.

• Advertisement

jlang wrote: »
    Perfect time for a couple of short races to record where you are then start into another cycle.
    You read my mind, Jingle Bells 5k this weekend :)

4 windy, rainy miles this afternoon (9.04/mile pace). Wind felt like it was in my face the whole time - but they do say that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? :pac:

No running tomorrow, because I'm *finally* graduating! Me in a suit and robes is a rather weird thought...

4 windy, rainy miles this afternoon (9.04/mile pace). Wind felt like it was in my face the whole time - but they do say that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? :pac:

No running tomorrow, because I'm *finally* graduating! Me in a suit and robes is a rather weird thought...
    Just want to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! on this and everything else youve achieved this year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hey RK, you're running up a storm these days. Congrats on the graduation and take care of those feet. What are the odds you'll get more blisters from the heels than from DCM :D

littlebug wrote: »
    What are the odds you'll get more blisters from the heels than from DCM :D
    Pretty high actually! I only got 2 blisters on my toes from DCM... but I can't walk in heels at all. This is going to be interesting :eek:

Congratulations Graduand!
    Best of luck this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Congratulations on graduating RK and best of luck this weekend.

Stupid heels! After my graduation, I was left with some small blisters on the tops of my middle toes.

I'd intended on getting out for 9-10 miles today, but after 4 miles the seam of my socks started rubbing the top of those little blisters. Decided to head home at that stage rather than risk much further damage (especially with the Jingle Bells 5k on Saturday), so that's 6 miles for today (9.10/mile average pace).
    Feels like I'm never going to get back into double-figure long runs - though looking at the average pace I really went out way too fast for a long run (LSR pace for me should be about 10 - 10.30 min/mile)!

Also, if anyone cares, this is me looking all graduate-y :D

-- PBs --
    5k 26.22 (March '09 - MSB St Patrick's Day 5k)24.04 (December '09 - Jingle Bells 5k)

Jingle Bells 5k this morning...

Great day for it, rain managed to hold off, not too breezy and not too cold either - no repetitions of the Aware 10k weather from last year! Jogged up from the clubhouse to warm up, and got talking to menoscemo there (and he agreed to pace me for a bit :D ). Lined up in the sub-24 section and still ended up passing lots of people through the first kilometer. Did my best to hold onto the pace meno was dragging me along at, before finally letting him go on just after the 3km mark. Felt like my breakfast was about to make a return coming up the hill near the finish line, but that soon passed. I blame that special kind of burn you only get from a 5k! Crossed the line with 24.40 on the clock and 24.04 on my watch (which I started at the start line - so 7.45/mile average pace). I'm absolutely delighted with that. :)

Also, McMillan now predicts a sub-40 5 mile time for me... *cough* Raheny *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

well done again. As I said to you today, you are in good enough shape to break all your 2010 goals right now!!

Advertisement