Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times reports that all pistols are to be banned

Options
  • 18-11-2008 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Just heard on the local radio (Corks 96FM) news at 10 this evening that the Government has indicated a blanket ban on the issue of all legally held handguns, which could be imminent.

No link as yet but I have just spoken to the newsdesk to confirm I was hearing right.

Is this the beginning of the end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1118/breaking63.htm

The Minister also told the Dáil tonight that he plans a major clampdown on the number of handguns licensed within the State.

“That situation is clearly unsatisfactory and I will be bringing forward effective proposals to deal comprehensively with it,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Also on the RTE News page-
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1118/surveillance.html
    Handgun crack down
    In the Dáil this evening Dermot Ahern signalled a crack down on licensed handguns.
    Mr Ahern was responding to Opposition criticism of the Government's tackling of organised crime.

Mr Ahern said there had been no legally held hand-guns until a number of judicial decisions in 2004, and that he would not tolerate a proliferation of such weapons
    Must be seen to be 'doing something', I suppose. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just on midnight news on Newstalk:
    "Over 1700 Glock pistols have been licenced in the last year."

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm actually surprised it took so long for this craic to start. Anyway, now we get to see if Irish shooters can be arsed to engage in meaningful lobbying to save their sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

DONG, DONG, DONG...
    Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!

Handgun crack down
    In the Dáil this evening Dermot Ahern signalled a crack down on licensed handguns.
    Mr Ahern was responding to Opposition criticism of the Government's tackling of organised crime.

Mr Ahern said there had been no legally held hand-guns until a number of judicial decisions in 2004, and that he would not tolerate a proliferation of such weapons.
    The murder of Shane Geoghegan in Limerick prompted this evening's private members debate, with Fine Gael calling for new measures to crack down on crime gangs.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1118/surveillance.html

Just f*kcing sick of it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭.270 remington

the minister will probably pull the same stunt as they did back in 1972 it is as legal now as it was back then.
    i wonder will we get any compensation for our guns/equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

From the Irish Times:
    Minister plans to bring in handgun ban
    MICHAEL O'REGAN

A BAN on handguns was signalled by Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern .

He said that the increasing prevalence of handguns had not come about as a result of any deliberate policy decision by the Government or the House.

"That situation is clearly unsatisfactory and I will be bringing forward effective proposals to deal comprehensively with it," he added.

"There is simply no excuse for the type of gangland activities which we have witnessed. Members of gangs bear complete responsibility for their deeds."

He said he had previously made clear his concern at the number and type of handguns being licensed and a review of the firearms laws was at its final stages.

"My bottom line is this: while I recognise that the vast majority of handgun owners are responsible people, as Minister my concern is the safety of the public, particularly at a time of concern about gun crime," said Mr Ahern.

"I will make a detailed statement in the near future on this matter." He asked if they wanted "as a country to go down the road of America, Finland and others, where there is a proliferation of handguns".

The Minister was speaking during a debate on a Fine Gael Private Members' motion calling for action on crime, following the recent murder of Shane Geoghegan in Limerick.

Mr Ahern said that from the early 1970s, in the light of the Northern troubles, all handguns were banned in the Republic until a few years ago.

Following a series of judicial decisions, that was no longer the case, although there was no public policy decision to lift the ban, he added.

Mr Ahern said that in the longer term, they risked condemning future generations if they did not face up to the deep-seated social problems which had beset parts of Limerick.

He said that work was ongoing on the Criminal Justice (Forensic Evidence and Sampling) Bill providing for the establishment of a DNA database for criminal investigation purposes. He expected to be able to publish the Bill in the new year.

Proposals for a covert surveillance Bill had been approved by the Government earlier in the day, he added.

Fine Gael justice spokesman Charlie Flanagan said that criminal gangs would not prosper in the State if they did not have easy access to drugs.

"The Government likes to point the finger at Foxrock and abdicate its own responsibility in this regard," he added.

"However, the bottom line is Ireland is internally seen as a soft touch when it comes to the importation of drugs. With one Customs boat, one mobile X-ray scanner and a handful of sniffer dogs, this is no surprise."

Mr Flanagan said that while that gross oversight remained, criminal gangs would prosper, innocent victims would be murdered and the Government would have failed the Irish people.

Labour spokesman Pat Rabbitte said that senior Garda appointments should be taken out of the domain of party politics.

"This single decision would give more impetus to the dynamic for genuine change than any of the reforms to date which have met with such mixed success," he added.

© 2008 The Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I just watched Oireachtas Report

Wheras Mr. Ahern did say that the proliferation of hanguns was not to be tolerated - in context he was talking about illegally held handguns - at no time did he mention legally held handguns.

He spoke about bringing in legislation as highlighted by 'Justice Such and Such' lately - I assume - the criminal justice bill.

I think the papers are just stirring a storm in teacup again.

B'Man

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

the minister will probably pull the same stunt as they did back in 1972 it is as legal now as it was back then.

I doubt they'll do that. A TCO can only be valid for a month. They are unlikely to make that mistake twice. A ban would probably take the form of an amendment to the Firearms Acts to explicitly allow for it.
    i wonder will we get any compensation for our guns/equipment

Unlikely. The coffers are empty. I imagine they'd simply revoke the licenses on whatever they banned and then your options would be to either turn it into the Gardai or give it to a firearms dealer to be sold on your behalf.

civdef wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised it took so long for this craic to start. Anyway, now we get to see if Irish shooters can be arsed to engage in meaningful lobbying to save their sport.
    Now is about four years too fecking late, and we were saying so here in '04 when the CJB first came to light.

Happily, B'man's comment indicates that this is the press being the press. On top of which, the restricted list being commenced would easily fulfill what the Minister was quoted by the press as promising anyway.

I wouldn't say pistols were safe - but they're not dead yet. However, if there was ever a time to bite down on idealism and be as pragmatic as possible, this is it. One idiot running around saying they have right to walk down grafton street with a .45 strapped to their thigh in tactical holster (with matching tactical underpants), or going in to find a table to pound away on in the DoJ while asking if the Minister or Commissioner have "lost it"; and even I'll be giving my little self-disassembling air pistol back to the local Super. And if that happens, I'll be looking to have a few choice words with the chap who decided he'd screw over the rest of us like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Looks like this is the upgraded article.And it dont smell good!:mad::mad::mad:

wwww.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1227026417220.html

Why did I feel this was coming since that Judge Charlton statement in July???:rolleyes: After reading that I think we are codding ourselves to think the minister is talking "out of context".Unless we stand up and fight NOW,we can definately see pistol shooting go silently into the dark night here in Ireland.
    So methinks folks anyone who wants to keep pistol shooting for Ireland[although why you would want to repersent a country that treats it's lawabiding citizens so shoddily,beats me] had better think about moving their stuff to friendlier climes in the EU or US.

Actually I am ASHAMED to be Irish today and ASHAMED that Irish gunowners didnt take a more proactive role in defending a section of their sport that was making great progress after a 32 year sleep.
    I am ASHAMED that we have such an incompetant Govt and police force that took the soft option in "crime fighting" and jumped on the law abiding Irish shooter as a boogeyman and scapegoat for their mishandling of a crime problem that now WILL get worse and more viscious.
    And I am ASHAMED that there are such animals running loose on our streets,equipped with the most state of the art firearms,without a fear of man ,law or God and we are lumped in with them.
    Rant over .I'm going to bed
    In disgust.
    Grizzly

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

That link doesn't work Grizzly, I think you meant this story:
    Cabinet agrees to blanket ban on licensing of handguns
    CONOR LALLY MICHAEL O'REGAN and

THE CABINET has agreed to a blanket ban on the licensing of handguns. Criminal justice legislation already being drafted will be amended to include provisions that will ban the granting of handgun licences under any circumstances.

Gun owners who already have weapons will not have their licences renewed, forcing them to sell their guns or face criminal prosecution.

The Government's decision to ban the weapons comes after a period in which their use has grown exponentially in the Republic, reaching 1,900 licences at present. In 2004, the High Court overturned a 30-year-old "temporary custody order" banning the licences.

Figures obtained two weeks ago by John Deasy TD (FG) revealed major inconsistencies in the way gardaí across the State were interpreting laws around the granting of handgun licences.

Some Garda districts have granted no licences for handguns while others in more sparsely populated areas have been much more liberal, issuing between 50 and 100 licences a year.

Speaking last night during a Dáil debate on a Fine Gael private members' motion calling for action on crime, Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern said he would bring forward legislation to deal with the handguns issue.

Informed sources said the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill would be amended to ban the guns.

The matter was discussed at Cabinet yesterday where Mr Ahern secured agreement for a ban.

In July, Mr Justice Peter Charleton said there was "a pressing need" for drawing together into a clear law the multiple "piecemeal" rules on the control of handguns here.

He said reasonable people were "entitled to feel alarmed" about a recent large increase in the number of pistols licensed for private use. He made his comments during a High Court case in which a man challenged the Garda's refusal to grant him a gun licence.

Mr Ahern said the increasing prevalence of handguns had not come about as a result of any deliberate policy decision by the Government.

He had previously made clear his concern at the number and type of handguns being licensed.

"My bottom line is this," Mr Ahern continued, "while I recognise that the vast majority of handgun owners are responsible people, as Minister my concern is the safety of the public, particularly at a time of concern about gun crime."

Last night's debate followed the murder last Sunday week of Shane Geoghegan in Limerick. He was killed when members of a gang in the city shot him close to his home in Dooradoyle after mistaking him for a rival criminal.

© 2008 The Irish Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Looks like this is the upgraded article.And it dont smell good!:mad::mad::mad:

wwww.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1227026417220.html

Why did I feel this was coming since that Judge Charlton statement in July???:rolleyes: After reading that I think we are codding ourselves to think the minister is talking "out of context".Unless we stand up and fight NOW,we can definately see pistol shooting go silently into the dark night here in Ireland.
    So methinks folks anyone who wants to keep pistol shooting for Ireland[although why you would want to repersent a country that treats it's lawabiding citizens so shoddily,beats me] had better think about moving their stuff to friendlier climes in the EU or US.

Actually I am ASHAMED to be Irish today and ASHAMED that Irish gunowners didnt take a more proactive role in defending a section of their sport that was making great progress after a 32 year sleep.

To be honest, theres only so much that can be done in the face of kneejerk stupidity and scape-goating. Theres just insuffecient numbers to create a large lobbying bloc to protect against this sort of thing and even then, theres no guarantee that the need for a sacrificial victim wouldn't outweigh commonsense.

Mind you, its cold consolation to be depressed as oppossed to ashamed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

In fairness to the minister, 'serious curtailment' and 'total ban' are two different beasts altogether. If he was going to ban everything, wouldn't he have just said it outright last night?
    This doesn't mean I'm not concerned about the nearly 3 grand of pre-recession money and a year's training I've invested in my sport :eek::eek:

I'm doing up my mail to him at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Depressing news for sure. But to be honest not surprising anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Typical of our government, pick on the law abider again, and he know's it wont help the bad situation that's out there, he's only pulling the wool over the eye's of the gullible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

bigred wrote: »
    I'm doing up my mail to him at the moment

I sent one to him last night begging him to spare the sports shooters, i.e. the ones who train and compete.

I've been on the phone since early morning with club members who are beside themselves with worry.

We've invested so much time and money and heart into our clubhouse and range that the prospect of being told we can't shoot anymore is like hearing a relative has a serious illness.

All because of criminal activity in Limerick being the darling of the press this month. To law abiding sports shooters the situation is so frustratiing it's almost unbearable, the complete and total injustice of it all.

If there is a total ban it will be very unfair and surely fairness is at the heart of civilisation. The minister hasn't banned anything yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

tbh, it's a bit like the insurance industry where it swung from insuring young drivers to not insuring them and back again.

We've had no pistols for years, then we've had anything goes and now it apears to be swinging back towards none again.

Halting the swing is going to be extremely difficult and at this stage if anything can be salvaged it'll be a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sharps

Just heard on the radio news at 9;00 that all hand guns are now banned for everyone due to the rise of pistol use in crime. No licences will be renewed in july, an outright blanket ban for All pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Well concealment is the reason, I have no problem with it frankly. Rifles and shotguns are still legal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

As a non shooter;

Where do you practise with your pistols?

Is the problem people having their legit guns stolen for use by criminals?

Is 1700 Glocks not a lot for what's a fringe hobby?

If you have proper managed clubs could a compromise not be that the guns are not taken home?

And when they come for your rifles and shotguns ..Will you have a problem then????:rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sharps

Well its now offical, on radio news at 9.00 this morning it was announced that All pistols are now banned for everyone due to the gun crime in limerick, licences will not be renewed in July, this is not a maybe or a might happen, it has happened, pistols are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Its not like all guns have been banned, just ones that are easy to hide.

No next will be shotguns and rifles that they dont like the look of.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Only a matter of time before rifles etc. go the same way now that the anti gun lobbyists have the bit between their teeth:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

nipplenuts wrote: »
    As a non shooter;

Where do you practise with your pistols?

Is the problem people having their legit guns stolen for use by criminals?

Is 1700 Glocks not a lot for what's a fringe hobby?

Good questions nipplenuts

Firstly there are a number of authorised clubs around the country, coincidentally where the most licences have been issued. Who'd have thunk it ;)

Secondly, one of the things I've learned from this episode is just how inaccurate the news reports are. And I mean really way-out off the wall inaccurate.

I heard that '1700 Glocks' on Newstalk last night and nearly crashed the car!

There simply aren't. There are about 1850 licensed pistols in the country including air pistols, small calibre pistols, humane killers, starting pistols etc.

I honestly don't kow how many Glocks there are, but its not that many. Possibly 100 or so, maybe even less.

Another famous misquote was Paul Reynolds on RTE news at one saying that the Garda Commissioner told the Public Accounts Committee that 800 legally held firearms had ben recovered from criminals.

He actually said 'illegally held'. :mad:

As for leaving firearms in clubs, well that's just not very secure. These are places that are not inhabited for long periods of the day and therefore security would be compromised. As it is the requirement for a pistol licence involves gun safes, monitored alarm systems and properly lockable windows and doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kevin7898

well i dont own a pistol but a good few do it worng wath there done the never get a way with it or well they there a sad crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

kerryman12 wrote: »
    Depressing news for sure. But to be honest not surprising anymore.

I agree, I smelt this coming for a while. It is a very disappointing decision for the decent, law abiding, regulated legally held pistol owners in Ireland, who enjoy their discipline, who go through such rigorous background checks, implement huge costs to ensure the safe keeping of the said handgun by installing the likes of a monitored house alarm, safe etc.

Now it is to be stripped away again because of, in my opinion, a knee jerk reaction by people who don't really have an iota of what the sport is about and proceed to associate legally held handgun owners with a minority of street thugs.

Yet again, the innocence suffer because of these handful of street thugs, which the Government appear to be unable to control, but yet they target the easy ones, the majority, the law abiding decent member of the public.

I am not a hand gun owner, I am a hunter and I will stand united with anyone in the shooting fraternity in helping to reverse this decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Trojan911 wrote: »
    I am not a hand gun owner, I am a hunter and I will stand united with anyone in the shooting fraternity in helping to reverse this decision.

+1

Advertisement