Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I think that when the duplicate Mux 1 channels are switched off things should settle down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I think that when the duplicate Mux 1 channels are switched off things should settle down.

How will removing 3 channels from Mux1 sort out the reception of Mux2 for people with inadequate aerial installations? It'll only make thing worse if people haven't sorted their reception problems when RTÉ1 is removed next week possibly.

The Cush wrote: »
    How will removing 3 channels from Mux1 sort out the reception of Mux2 for people with inadequate aerial installations? It'll only make thing worse if people haven't sorted their reception problems when RTÉ1 is removed next week possibly.
    I was referring to the problem galtee boy was having with his tv looking for "new" channels not people having problems receiving Mux2.

I was referring to the problem galtee boy was having with his tv looking for "new" channels not people having problems receiving Mux2.

I'm wondering if galtee boy's problem is a reception related issue also? Mullaghanish Mux2 signal appears to be stronger than Mux1.

I'm wondering if galtee boy's problem is a reception related issue also? Mullaghanish Mux2 signal appears to be stronger than Mux1.
    That seems to be the opposite of most peoples problems, with many saying that Mux2 is lower power. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

watty wrote: »
    It's basically impossible to have Mux1 and not Mux2 with any sort of reasonable equipment.

In any decent signal area I agree.

In fringe areas due to a number of factors it could just so happen that one MUX is just above the 'digital cliff' and the other MUX just below with the existing aerial.
    It would not be any different (RF wise) to the situation with analogue where more often than not in difficult areas one channel was a better picture than another (even though all received in the same band, from the same TX site, and at least on paper all the same ERP).

Saorsat is best avoided if at all possible for a number of reasons, so in this country there would be a greater percentage of viewers using Terrestrial in 'Fringe' reception areas than in the UK who would have FreeSAT (a far better alternative to terrestrial than Saorsat here).

BTW
    Here's a report in a Cork Free newspaper about the retune with contribution from a poster in this forum:
    http://thecorknews.ie/articles/saorview-users-advised-carry-out-simple-retune-12624

That seems to be the opposite of most peoples problems, with many saying that Mux2 is lower power. :confused:

Mullaghanish is the opposite, I posted about it here earlier, higher Mux2 signal strength readings on various TVs/STBs in family members houses. Many of the other reception problems posted here don't appear to be lower Mux2 power but problem aerial installations such as set-top aerials, attic aerials and aerials pointing at the wrong transmitter.

Mullaghanish is the opposite, I posted about it here earlier, higher Mux2 signal strength readings on various TVs/STBs in family members houses.

With what type of aerials?
    Have a read of this for a possible explanation with the 'reflector' on many being too small for Ch 21 - but OK for Ch24 +)
    http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/whatsat-short-reflector-syndrome.pdf

aerials pointing at the wrong transmitter.
    You could add to that aerials with wrong polarisation too !

Antenna wrote: »
    With what type of aerials?
    Have a read of this for a possible explanation with the 'reflector' on many being too small for Ch 21 - but OK for Ch24 +)

My own is a Blake DMX10A. The others are using standard Gp A contract aerials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I have no problems with reception, at least picture wise, crystal clear, no pixilation etc. I get excellent reception from both Mullaghanish and Mitchelstown, but Mitchelstown is much stronger even though its a low power transmitter as its only about 5 miles away as the crow flies, whereas Mullaghanish must be about 50 miles. Its just this new channel message that's annoying, but as peking97 said, I can turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Ok got to look finally at moving aerial to kippure no joy but it did pick up mount leinster at 23 and 26. Signal level same as cairn hill though. My major problem though as as people had speculated was the rg6 cable connection at the masthead amp was almost destroyed with rust. The cable was wet but the actual balun was bone dry on the aerial itself up above. I speculate water was leaking down the cable. Replaced it all to the amp with wf100 and self amal tape on fconn. Signal level still the same whoch is to be expected but ber rate now 0 perfect.

re. test channels on MUX2
    * Hidden but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control

Not possible at all to see the 'Hidden' test channels on the Walker WP645TS-HD Saorview combi receiver. I tried entering the channel numbers you listed on the remote. The receiver will jump to the nearest (numerically) unhidden channel, as it does any time any invalid channel number is entered.
    (maybe there is some 'secret' way of showing them, anyone know how?)
    Only when doing a scan do you see brief evidence of the existence of hidden test channels, see attached pictures of scans on UHF channel carrying MUX2 I did on one on Monday night. (this was on UHF Ch 49 from Spur Hill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Not possible at all to see the 'Hidden' test channels on the Walker WP645TS-HD Saorview combi receiver. I tried entering the channel numbers you listed on the remote. The receiver will jump to the nearest (numerically) unhidden channel, as it does any time any invalid channel number is entered.
    (maybe there is some 'secret' way of showing them, anyone know how?)
    Only when doing a scan do you see brief evidence of the existence of hidden test channels, see attached pictures of scans on channel carrying MUX2 I did on one on Monday night.

Something is not right as when you show the pic as you said is Mux 2
    I saw Network name as RTENL1.
    Mux 1 is RTENL 1
    Mux 2 is RTENL 2
    I checked TSReader and see no channels numbering in the 247, 248, 251, 260-265 range, see NIT info here

The hidden channels can be viewed on the Saorview approved Walker PVR except the SSU "channels" 249/250.

Souriau wrote: »
    Something is not right as when you show the pic as you said is Mux 2
    I saw Network name as RTENL1.
    Mux 1 is RTENL 1
    Mux 2 is RTENL 2

Just did a rescan on a Walker PVR and Mux1 appears as RTÉNL2 and Mux2 as RTÉNL1 from Mullaghanish.

• Advertisement

Just did a rescan on a Walker PVR and Mux1 appears as RTÉNL2 and Mux2 as RTÉNL1 from Mullaghanish.
    That is strange, TSReader says otherwise but then I am getting my signal from Clermont Carn.
    Maybe someone else can check and see what it says on their TV or STB.
    Maybe there will be a total change over as it not reach my tranmitter.
    Is this the reason why some having problems because some transmitters have wrong Network ID name?

I checked TSReader and see no channels numbering in the 247, 248, 251, 260-265 range, see NIT info here

Those 'Prg' numbers were it seems generated by the Walker STB not by the network, as doing a second scan a couple of minutes later on the same MUX (see second picture) a set of higher numbers appeared. I also tried entering some of those numbers on the remote but nothing as before.

Those 'Prg' numbers were it seems generated by the Walker STB not by the network, as doing a second scan a couple of minutes later on the same MUX (see second picture) a set of higher numbers appeared. I also tried entering some of those numbers on the remote but nothing as before.
    Do a factory reset, wipe everything out and start afresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is there capacity for the launch of tv3 utv and tg4 all in hd on the 2 muxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭swoofer

UTV is a distant dream.... in that it will never happen. I think each mux has 20mbs transmiiting space, and psuedo hd is 6mbs so that gives about 2 hd channels per mux. On occasions the rate can go up so spare needed. So in other words we will need a 3rd mux in 2015.

• Advertisement

On another note, and this may have been answered elsewhere but I cant find anything, I use Maghera and today scanned in mux1 and mux2 using a Sony Playtv usb tuner. It said I found 35 services but when I check signal strength on mux1 its 88-90, however on mux2 it fluctuates between 45-70. And mux2 sgnal seems to go up and down a lot.

I am using a uno box with BH2.0.7

I also have a spare edision mini 2 in 1 and rescanned that but signal is the same for both muxes ie 84% level

I also have another ican box and that shows 85 on mux 1 and 52 on mux 2.

Is there a simple explanation? And will it all be normal when those duplicates are switched off? Or does the edision have a built in booster?

I use a loft aerial with a booster bought for digital sometime ago and so long ago I dont know where I even bought it from. Is it feasible the aerial can be slightly out of alignment or even the wrong type??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    Is there a simple explanation?

Yes. The signal strength/quality indications on equipment are pretty meaningless. % of what? They never say. Each manufacturer has a different threshold.

Equipment does not have built in boosters as boosters are designed to overcome the loss of a long run of coax cable and must be fitted at the start of the run. That is why amplified set top aerials are so useless. PVRs have a very small booster to overcome the splitting loss to 2 tuners. This will be fitted before the splitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is there capacity for the launch of tv3 utv and tg4 all in hd on the 2 muxes?

Not all in HD.
    But 3 Muxes split over 4 or 5 Broadcasters with 10 or 12 channels is little extra cost.

AFIAK 2RN can easily have 4 muxs running by 2015 and that is slightly less transmission cost than the 4 analogue channels closed in 2012!

I discussed this in person with the then RTENL. There is no problem having 4 muxes if the content exists.

AFIAK 2RN can easily have 4 muxs running by 2015 and that is slightly less transmission cost than the 4 analogue channels closed in 2012!

There was report previously that the BAI said a 3rd PSB Mux could be made available if required (http://cce.gno.ie/news/2012/10Oct/11dso.php) .

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    UTV is a distant dream.... in that it will never happen. I think each mux has 20mbs transmiiting space, and psuedo hd is 6mbs so that gives about 2 hd channels per mux. On occasions the rate can go up so spare needed. So in other words we will need a 3rd mux in 2015.

utv is launching a station in the republic in 2015

Not all in HD.
    But 3 Muxes split over 4 or 5 Broadcasters with 10 or 12 channels is little extra cost.

I discussed this in person with the then RTENL. There is no problem having 4 muxes if the content exists.

I take it that with a twin tuner you will still be able to record one station and watch another station on a different mux?

Indeed. Just like Satellite has very many "Transponders" (approximately same as a Mux nowadays).

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Woodie40

With the new Mux, we wont get Sky News, ITV3, 5* or 5USA on Freeview from Divis, Is this correct? Can you see this changing?
    Many Thanks

Woodie40 wrote: »
    With the new Mux, we wont get Sky News, ITV3, 5* or 5USA on Freeview from Divis, Is this correct? Can you see this changing?

No. And if they launch a 3rd Mux on Ch 29 that could wipe out the 3rd commercial mux from Divis - http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=IJ287750

Get Freesat like most people in Ireland have to get. :)

Suffering NI MiniMux or no RTE reception in NI? Get Saorsat :D

• Advertisement

I checked another STB, Tesco Freeview HD and Mux 1 is RTENL 1, Mux 2 is RTENL 2 from Clermont Carn. I wonder why is yours is different?

I checked another STB, Tesco Freeview HD and Mux 1 is RTENL 1, Mux 2 is RTENL 2 from Clermont Carn. I wonder why is yours is different?

The 2 boxes where we discussed this earlier are Saorview approved, also a Lidl Sivercrest non-Saorview TV displays the same as the Saorview boxes. Don't know the reason why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

Im in NW Co. Mayo, I see no significant difference in strength / quality between the new and old MUXs.

Dooncarton / Glengad hill - 27 (old) 32 (new)
    Achill island - 44 (new) 47 (old)
    Castlebar - 22 (old) 25 (new)

4 Test cards on the hidden channels on Mux 2 showing now
    Channel 12 with clapper board and sound to match is on both audio, main audio, stereo, English and 2nd audio, mono, NAR
    Channel 14 with colour tone and fixed tone sound is on both audio, main audio, stereo, Irl and 2nd audio, mono, NAR

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Get Freesat like most people in Ireland have to get. :)

Suffering NI MiniMux or no RTE reception in NI? Get Saorsat :D

Or pay Sky or Virgin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The DOG display was back on RTE One during Ear to the Ground this evening. No mention of HD.

pity dog was back, tv looked good without it, actually watched a few progs.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    The DOG display was back on RTE One during Ear to the Ground this evening. No mention of HD.

Yes, I noticed that during the programme, had just replied to another post and mentioned about no DOG on RTÉ1. Had to edit the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Jpmarn wrote: »

I saw the DOG when Donal Skehan was on at 7pm. We would probably still wait longer for going into HD though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭jimbo2007

4 Test cards on the hidden channels on Mux 2 showing now
    Channel 12 with clapper board and sound to match is on both audio, main audio, stereo, English and 2nd audio, mono, NAR
    Channel 14 with colour tone and fixed tone sound is on both audio, main audio, stereo, Irl and 2nd audio, mono, NAR

Are you able to get a screengrab of the test cards at all? is it the Philios 2RN one like on saorsat or different? Are these SD or HD? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

After rescanning parents TV in north Tipp, it seems its getting Mux 1 but not Mux 2. Ch 1 is just a blocky RTE 1 HD and 11 is RTE 1 (With the message on the guide to rescan blah blah)

Any idea how we can fix this? Are there any special setting to do with the frequency I can put in manually?

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    Are you able to get a screengrab of the test cards at all? is it the Philios 2RN one like on saorsat or different? Are these SD or HD? Thanks.
    I had already taken via TSReader.

channel 12
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2102 (0x0836)
    H.264 Video: Resolution 1440 x 1080 Interlaced: 1

channel 13
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2103 (0x0837)
    H.264 Video: Resolution 544 x 576 Interlaced: 1

channel 14
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2104 (0x0838)

channel 15
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2105 (0x0839)

After rescanning parents TV in north Tipp, it seems its getting Mux 1 but not Mux 2. Ch 1 is just a blocky RTE 1 HD and 11 is RTE 1 (With the message on the guide to rescan blah blah)

Any idea how we can fix this? Are there any special setting to do with the frequency I can put in manually?

Blocky RTÉ1 HD (Mux2) = Signal problem. What type of aerial are they using, indoor/outdoor?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭jimbo2007

I had already taken via TSReader.

channel 12
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2102 (0x0836)

channel 13
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2103 (0x0837)

channel 14
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2104 (0x0838)

channel 15
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2105 (0x0839)

Thanks for that. Will be interesting to see what happens on Monday if that is indeeed the day that RTE1 SD closes on DTT. Any clues yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

HI i did a scan during the week for parents on their saorview/freesat triax box and I got all the channel but I did I rescan again and all the extra channels are gone. I'm in the mitchelstown area and its an outdoor aerial.

• Advertisement

HI i did a scan during the week for parents on their saorview/freesat triax box and I got all the channel but I did I rescan again and all the extra channels are gone. I'm in the mitchelstown area and its an outdoor aerial.

Why did you do a rescan again is everything was OK?
    What extra channels are gone?

Why did you do a rescan again is everything was OK?
    What extra channels are gone?

I did the rescan again and got the channels back. Rte has moved the channel 12 but It getting very choppy. it might be the cable because when i touch the back the reception is fine but I leave it go and its get choppy again. I had the hold the cable doing the rescan to get the channels back.. I have it fixed now but I swear i must give off some kind of electrical current cause if go the near the tv. the reception will go weird.

I have it fixed now but I swear i must give off some kind of electrical current cause if go the near the tv. the reception will go weird.

Are you using an indoor aerial?
    How old is the cabling?
    Is the connector loose on the cable?

Are you using an indoor aerial?
    How old is the cabling?
    Is the connector loose on the cable?

Thats the thing. The cable is only a couple of years old and its an outdoor aerial

Thats the thing. The cable is only a couple of years old and its an outdoor aerial

I have also to my dad on this he may need to get it professionally looked at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement