Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well this certainly relevant given the mess that is the 49ers front office, from Bill Walsh's book on coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wait doug marone has left the bills ? I thought he had a three day window built into his contract, where he could leave but I got the impression he wasn't leaving. Right then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

He was doing a good job with the Bills. Surprised by the move and I think it leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth if he is to jump to another NFL team now.

edit: although in fairness maybe the new owners let him know he wasn't there man going forward.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Rumor that Chip Kelly wants out of the Eagles.

One of his most trusted advisers, Tom Gamble was recently fired, and the speculation is that it is part of a power struggle within the front office.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/2/7482259/chip-kelly-rumors-eagles-tom-gamble-49ers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tristram wrote: »

Not a good move on the Eagles part IMO. How many coaches have ever successfully pulled off such a double role? It's a very short list. It appears that they got wind that he was seriously considering leaving and have just given him the keys to the house to ensure he stays. A crazy and somewhat ridiculous amount of power for a second year head coach in the NFL.

Also, Chip said the following in January 2013 as per @mikemccartney7: "I'm not a GM. I'm not a salary cap guy. I don't want those titles. I just want to coach football". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

How would people rank the coaching candidates for this years jobs? I really don't think it's that good a class compared to previous years.

Gase and Quinn have superb players to make them look good.
    Mc Daniels is still not HC material IMO.
    Teryl Austin has huge potential but it could be too soon for him with only one year NFL co-ordinator experience.

That leaves Bowles and Rex. I think Rex to the Falcons would be a great move for him. Matt Ryan is a top QB and pretty much runs the offence which would leave Rex to sort out the mess of a defence which I'd have no doubt he could do.

I'd like the 49ers to give Fangio the HC role and promote tomsula to the DC position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Gase and Quinn have superb players to make them look good.
    Not blowing the trumpet for Gase - I want him to stay as the Broncos OC - but Gase has had to make major adjustments to the Broncos offence during the season and has done so very effectively. Manning is not the player he used to be and Fox and Elway messed up the OL. Gase deserves credit for making Denver a team that will actually be able to compete in the play-offs (being my usual optimistic self).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet ·
    Gary Kubiak has not interviewed yet, but from people close to him, he may not. He loves #Ravens, has friends there, isn’t looking to move

I approve :) Hoping Kubiak stays in Baltimore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Rex Ryan is the new head coach of the Buffalo Bills

paulie21 wrote: »
    Rex Ryan is the new head coach of the Buffalo Bills

Stupid move from Rex, it's going to be Jets Mark II all over again in Buffalo, stellar defence with poor QB play holding them back. He had the chance to work with a franchise QB in Atlanta but he's just going down the same route again here. Can't see it being a success unless he hires a great OC and can find a starting QB somewhere :rolleyes:

Stupid move from Rex, it's going to be Jets Mark II all over again in Buffalo, stellar defence with poor QB play holding them back. He had the chance to work with a franchise QB in Atlanta but he's just going down the same route again here. Can't see it being a success unless he hires a great OC and can find a starting QB somewhere :rolleyes:

Was he offered the Atlanta (or any other teams) job though? Maybe he was, I haven't checked myself being honest. I would definitely have thought he would have gone for Atlanta if it was a straight choice, but maybe they indicated to him that he wasn't going get an offer?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah seems an odd decision for him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not looking good for having a great oc, reason the bears weren't interested in him was he wanted Marc Trestman as his oc. Now, he had a good first year running our offense but it fell off a cliff this year.

Paully D wrote: »
    Was he offered the Atlanta (or any other teams) job though? Maybe he was, I haven't checked myself being honest. I would definitely have thought he would have gone for Atlanta if it was a straight choice, but maybe they indicated to him that he wasn't going get an offer?

It was strongly believed that he was Arthur Blank (the owner's) first choice all along, apparently he interviewed very well and made a good impression back when Mike Smith was hired. Reports also indicated he was being brought back for the final round of interviews with the Falcons this time around. Strange indeed.

Falcons really need to hire Todd Bowles now IMO or I'd start to get worried about the quality of the other candidates left.

Not looking good for having a great oc, reason the bears weren't interested in him was he wanted Marc Trestman as his oc. Now, he had a good first year running our offense but it fell off a cliff this year.

Yeah if he follows through with this, he really will be pinning all his hopes of success in Buffalo on Trestmann. Stupid hire by the Bills aswell, they already had the D set with Schwartz who had a terrific first season. Wonder will those two big personalities (Rex and Schwartz) be able to co-exist. Surely an offensive minded coach like Gase made most sense for the Bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Reports on Twitter suggest Rex was offered the job late last night, told the Falcons about the offer giving them time to respond but they didn't bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Seems like an almost identical situation to what he had with the Jets, no QB and a good defense. Even his bravado will have to work double time to convince FA agents to come to Buffalo.

Unless he strikes gold in the draft with a QB without a 1st rounder nonetheless, I don't see how it doesn't turn our much differently to his tenure at the Jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Reports saying Rex will be bringing in Greg Roman as OC and keeping with Schwartz too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭nerd69

Yeah if he follows through with this, he really will be pinning all his hopes of success in Buffalo on Trestmann. Stupid hire by the Bills aswell, they already had the D set with Schwartz who had a terrific first season. Wonder will those two big personalities (Rex and Schwartz) be able to co-exist. Surely an offensive minded coach like Gase made most sense for the Bills.

well rex is definitely going to want to implement the ryan defense i can see schwartz leaving after year 1

@AdamSchefter: Bears prepared to make a major push for Ravens OC Gary Kubiak, per source. Kubiak now free to talk with teams about HC vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Paully D wrote: »
    @AdamSchefter: Bears prepared to make a major push for Ravens OC Gary Kubiak, per source. Kubiak now free to talk with teams about HC vacancies.

Interesting. Wouldn't have expected us to go for an offensive guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Very interesting move. But didn't Kubiak say he wasn't interested in any of the HC roles? Or was he waiting for the Bears to call? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I think it could be a really good hire for the Bills. Like him or not Rex is still arguably the best coach available and despite having the axe hanging over him for the last three years he was still able to get his players to play for him. I think that it's easy to look at it and say that he's repeating the same mistakes of the Jets because he's going to a defence dominated team without a QB but when you take away the pressure of New York you'd have to imagine that the Bills will be a much more relaxed environment for a coach.

Todd Bowles to have a second interview with the 49ers. Interesting.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Todd Bowles to have a second interview with the 49ers. Interesting.

I'd like to see what he could do with that awful Falcons defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

so apparently Greg Roman is going to be Rex's OC in Buffalo! LOLZ

LOL Indeed. At least he wont be in SF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

paulie21 wrote: »
    Reports on Twitter suggest Rex was offered the job late last night, told the Falcons about the offer giving them time to respond but they didn't bother

It's not that the Falcons didn't bother

Arthur Blanks mother died and the hiring process in Atlanta got stalled.

Rex Ryan decided not to wait for Atlanta

Advertisement