Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

Keith186 wrote: »
    I got the flat version and I find it great, don't think I'd be too bothered about getting the edge although it would have more memory at 64gb vs 32gb if that's important to you.

The phone itself is better than I thought it would be. Good camera and screen and the battery is fine which was my biggest concern.

They still need to sort out the RAM, it's quite bad switching between apps sometimes.

You must be paying a hefty monthly bill to get it for free, make sure it works out better value that way rather than buying sim free and getting a monthly contract for €15-35 depending on who you go with.

Yeah bill is pretty hefty, but needed. Was costing more than current bill on lower price plans and still saving upwards of 200e each month! Use the phone a lot for work so this price plan includes everything + 16gb of data for 75e

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mundane

Other than putting a different SIM in my S6, is there any way to know if it's unlocked or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Finally a-z sorting for the apps,thats all I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Mundane wrote: »
    Other than putting a different SIM in my S6, is there any way to know if it's unlocked or not?

If you key in #7465625*638*# in the dialler, it should indicate if it is locked. If it's locked it will look for an unlock code. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

clacks wrote: »
    If you key in #7465625*638*# in the dialler, it should indicate if it is locked. If it's locked it will look for an unlock code. I think.

Yup looks for unlock code

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

My trusty S5 is still serving me well. It does freeze and stutter the odd time but other than that its great. Battery life is an issue though, I always have to charge it! I think that's just my usage though!! :)

Techmaster wrote: »
    My trusty S5 is still serving me well. It does freeze and stutter the odd time but other than that its great. Battery life is an issue though, I always have to charge it! I think that's just my usage though!! :)

I think the battery has a shelf life, mine was great in the beginning - now charging once in the middle of the day! Same usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Mines supposed to be sim free but looks for unlock code. What's the story with that?

I've no other nano sims to try in it at the moment.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Mines supposed to be sim free but looks for unlock code. What's the story with that?

I've no other nano sims to try in it at the moment.

My other half note 4 is locked to emobile but it's unlocked cause I tried a phoney phone sim in there and it worked also tried that code and got what you got so won't hold a candle to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I think the battery has a shelf life, mine was great in the beginning - now charging once in the middle of the day! Same usage.

That;'s how batteries go unfortunately. The first time its charged, you get 100% of 100% of the batteries potential and this just dwindles from here!

My S4 is still holding in there but I do charge it quite often, usually overnight and then a top up during the afternoon. Now, I'm a heavy user so I don't have any issues with its performance being like this. Would love a full day battery but I use my phone for work so its on and in use from 8.30am to 6pm!!

--

Would people recommend upgrading to the S6? It would cost me €300 on my current plan which has put me off. And, the only issue I have with my S4 is storage so the lack of expandable storage on the S6 has me looking at the M9 instead. Advice? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭midger

For the second time in the last 3 days,I've had to soft reset my S6 edge. Is there a fix for this bug?

Factory reset I'd imagine

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah, good to know. Mine is looking for a code so I guess it is locked to Vodafone.
    Squaredude wrote: »
    Finally a-z sorting for the apps,thats all I wanted.
    Excellent! Good spot! Didn't notice much change with the 5.1.1 update but that is something that I'm glad has made an appearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Tony H wrote: »
    Downloading 5.1.1 update from 3 now .
    I am 5.0.2 on 3 (it say's I've latest software?)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I am 5.0.2 on 3 (it say's I've latest software?)

If say your device is unlocked/ Sim fee same as mine (Vodafone). For some reason Samsung has given the update to the networks before the unlocked devices.
    I
    've mainly has HTC devices and 3 months in i i still miss sense. I still dislike touchwiz. There phones itself is great it's just the overlay i dislike and the speaker quality. In saying that I have yearly upgrades. So not to long before i can change it. We'll see what next year's phones will surprise us.

Update downloading now for meteor/emobile

All done and dusted phone is slightly Laggy but I'll give a while see if it settles and then throw it in the bin

moggser wrote: »
    Update downloading now for meteor/emobile

Downloading now for my unlocked S6. Don't forget to wipe cache partition after updating ;)

I didn't. .. what difference would it make

It helps remove any glitches that might be there after the update. It won't delete any app information out reader your device

• Advertisement

That;'s how batteries go unfortunately. The first time its charged, you get 100% of 100% of the batteries potential and this just dwindles from here!

My S4 is still holding in there but I do charge it quite often, usually overnight and then a top up during the afternoon. Now, I'm a heavy user so I don't have any issues with its performance being like this. Would love a full day battery but I use my phone for work so its on and in use from 8.30am to 6pm!!

--

Would people recommend upgrading to the S6? It would cost me €300 on my current plan which has put me off. And, the only issue I have with my S4 is storage so the lack of expandable storage on the S6 has me looking at the M9 instead. Advice? :confused:

Ah I know, I just don't have the opportunity to charge it where I work which is a bother. It has also gotten into the habit of dropping all network coverage randomly at least once an hour!
    Getting my s6 tomorrow hopefully - will let you know what it's like. I wouldn't mind spending the money on a phone that will last.
    Was speaking to someone who works with one of the phone companies today and he said something about Samsung Kies, basically samsung's version of a cloud I think - looks pretty cool. Has anyone tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Ah I know, I just don't have the opportunity to charge it where I work which is a bother. It has also gotten into the habit of dropping all network coverage randomly at least once an hour!
    Getting my s6 tomorrow hopefully - will let you know what it's like. I wouldn't mind spending the money on a phone that will last.
    Was speaking to someone who works with one of the phone companies today and he said something about Samsung Kies, basically samsung's version of a cloud I think - looks pretty cool. Has anyone tried it?

I've used the Kies desktop backup. Useful for storing info but runs pretty slow on my laptop. I'd put it in the same bracket as iTunes - clunky but effective. Eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

New update brings back time until your alarm wakes u did not miss that

What I've noticed is that battery drains rather quick as I'm writing this it's dropped 2% disaster ha ah well guess it all wouldn't be good news with updates

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mobilephone235

You said the samsung phone performance is really good!

Me??? I've been 50/50 on this device would never give it 100% backing as I'm fussy and if there's a flaw I'll find it and be vocal about it

Forgive me if this is a "stupid question" but my S6 Edge is my first foray into the Android world after spending some years on planet Apple.

I'm with Tesco Mobile and my phone is network locked. As I understand it, I must wait for Tesco to roll out 5.1.1 before I can update (when I check for update I'm told 5.0.2 is up to date).

If I get my phone unlocked (but kept the Tesco SIM) would I still rely on Tesco for updates or would my phone start to check with Samsung?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

If your phone has tesco software then you'll have to wait for tesco, unlocked or not.

If your phone has BTU (standard) then you get the update whenever that is updated.

Check your phone by by downloading Phone info (samsung) and checking your Original CSC code.

You can always flash BTU firmware for your phone and after a full reset you'll get BTU updates instead of tesco.

If you don't know what BTU is then google it :)

TBi wrote: »
    If your phone has tesco software then you'll have to wait for tesco, unlocked or not.

If your phone has BTU (standard) then you get the update whenever that is updated.

Check your phone by by downloading Phone info (samsung) and checking your Original CSC code.

You can always flash BTU firmware for your phone and after a full reset you'll get BTU updates instead of tesco.

If you don't know what BTU is then google it :)

Thanks TBi, my original CSC is listed as being TSI. Guessing this leaves me at the hands of Tesco?

As I said I'm a complete novice with regard to Android, is flashing BTU firmware a complicated process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Mundane wrote: »
    Thanks TBi, my original CSC is listed as being TSI. Guessing this leaves me at the hands of Tesco?

As I said I'm a complete novice with regard to Android, is flashing BTU firmware a complicated process?

Piff simple. Download the btu rom from sammobile, flash with Odin and then do a factory reset. It's factory software so won't trip Knox.

If you search on xda for note 4 and btu you'll find a guide. All you have to do is use the s6 rom instead of note. It's quite easy if you follow the steps. I did it on my note 4.

Lastly, you can root 5.0.1 without tripping Knox. You can't if you flash to 5.1.1. That's why I'm staying on old software for now.

Advertisement