Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm currently using a loaner phone, a mighty Nexus 6, but am handing it back in September.
    Previously I was very happy with the first gen Moto G, will the new version be out by September this year?
    I've never been as happy with a handset as I was with the Moto G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wang King wrote: »
    Used to follow this thread and bought a moto g because of the recommendations here for my wife.
    Fantastic phone, no complaints at all until this week. Phone was working perfectly, and suddenly the battery doesn't hold its charge anymore. Charge it at 11pm, and without any usage the battery is at 5% by 9am.
    Has anyone come across this before, and would a factory reset perhaps help? Thanks in advance.

Probably a bogus app, check battery in settings to see what it is.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Doge

Right, f*** this. I've had enough.

I'm rolling back to KitKat this week so I can actually use the phone again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Doge wrote: »
    Right, f*** this. I've had enough.

I'm rolling back to KitKat this week so I can actually use the phone again.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Brasso

Wang King wrote: »
    Used to follow this thread and bought a moto g because of the recommendations here for my wife.
    Fantastic phone, no complaints at all until this week. Phone was working perfectly, and suddenly the battery doesn't hold its charge anymore. Charge it at 11pm, and without any usage the battery is at 5% by 9am.
    Has anyone come across this before, and would a factory reset perhaps help? Thanks in advance.
    If you can't solve that problem I would probably just bring it back to the shop and get it repaired under warranty.

With regard to the update to version 5, I've had it for a couple of days now and Chrome was always crashing before no matter what I tried and it doesn't anymore so that's a positive. I don't use that many apps but so far it's been an almost identical experience to KitKat for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

jgbyr wrote: »
    How?

Not easy last time I looked, especially if its an original moto.

Im back on Kitkat 4.4.4!

However there is a display glitch bug that happens everytime you boot if you downgrade to KitKat from Lolipop, but im willing to live with it.

As you can see in my video there is a horizontal line moving from top to bottom, and a flicker.

To get rid of this you just turn off / lock the screen manually. This will need to be done at each boot.

Check out how fast it boots in comparison to Lolipop though!

Heres the guide, with a link to the EU Stock 4.4.4 Firmware:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g/development/rom-stock-motorola-rom-collection-t2854688

I'll go through the steps more clearly in my next post.

Everything else is working perfectly.

To downgrade you will need to have your Bootloader Unlocked and have a Custom Recovery Flashed.

You can skip this post if you already have a custom recovery installed.

I'm using TWRP 2.8.7.0 touch recovery, its very user friendly.

353544.jpg

Download the Stock version of the recovery here, (unless you specifically have the Google Play Edition Moto G)....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g/development/recovery-twrp-2-8-2-0-touch-recovery-t2980621

Extract the .img file.

I used Moto Tool to flash the file as its the easiest.

Once thats done to boot into Recovery, turn off the moto g, hold down volume down + lock key for 3 seconds and release.

Press volume down until recovery is highlighted, press volume up to enter.

You need to copy the Retail EU Stock 4.4.4 firmware zip file and FOTA_disabler.zip to the Moto G from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g/development/rom-stock-motorola-rom-collection-t2854688

I chose the firmware under XT1032 as im using the 1st Gen Moto G.

If you want to root, copy the latest Super SU zip file also:
    http://download.chainfire.eu/641/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.40.zip

If youre already in recovery, simply tap Mount, and tap USB Storage and copy the files over with the usb cable connected. Otherwise you can do it with the Moto G booted.

Go back to the main recovery menu and tap Wipe.

Make sure Dalvik, Cache and data are selected.
    Swipe right to factory restore.

Go back to the main menu and tap Install.

Flash the files in this order:
    Firmware Zip File (be patient!)
    FOTA_disabler zip
    SUPER SU zip (optional)

If the screen locks notice that the swipe from to left right isnt the greatest.
    Dont swipe the lock in the middle, swipe from the left edge to the right edge.

Once the 3 zip files are installed just reboot your phone and youre done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I got my older brother to buy the MOTO G $G version in Tesco UK earlier this year. The network kept dropping off on the new phone so I sent it back to my brother who sent it to Tesco for a replacement/repair.

Tesco sent a new phone that booted correctly at my first attempt of turning on the phone. When I turned it off and was turning it on again the Motorola logo that usually ripples did not ripple and did not change to the animation afterwards. The phone can load into the Boot Menu but whenever I try to select Factory Reset the same thing happens. It is stuck on that Motorola Logo and eventually goes black. How long should the warranty last? I'm not at home so I don't have the details infront of me.

I am not really looking forward to sending this phone back to my brother again. The cost for posting the phone twice is really pilling up on the cost of this phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭inigo

red_bairn wrote: »
    I got my older brother to buy the MOTO G $G version in Tesco UK earlier this year. The network kept dropping off on the new phone so I sent it back to my brother who sent it to Tesco for a replacement/repair.

Tesco sent a new phone that booted correctly at my first attempt of turning on the phone. When I turned it off and was turning it on again the Motorola logo that usually ripples did not ripple and did not change to the animation afterwards. The phone can load into the Boot Menu but whenever I try to select Factory Reset the same thing happens. It is stuck on that Motorola Logo and eventually goes black. How long should the warranty last? I'm not at home so I don't have the details infront of me.

I am not really looking forward to sending this phone back to my brother again. The cost for posting the phone twice is really pilling up on the cost of this phone.

Sounds pretty much what happened to me with my 2nd gen 3g about 6 months after I bought it. I brought it back to argos and got my money back as they don't to repairs and didn't have it in stock. I got the same one on amazon.co.uk. No issues so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Ever since the 5. update anytime i go to landscape with a video it freezes, have to reboot, then it goes through 5 mins of "optimising" my apps, right pain in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

red_bairn wrote: »

Motorola use SBE Ireland for manufacture repair here. Give them a ring, explain that you cannot send the phone to the UK for repair due to An Post not allowing batteries to be sent via post, and they'll take care of it for you. If I remember correctly it was a 6/7 day turnaround. Warranty is two years for any phone purchased in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Probably a bogus app, check battery in settings to see what it is.

She updated to lollipop without telling me, going to do a factory reset and see if it helps a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Doge wrote: »
    I'm back on Kitkat 4.4.4!
    (...)
    Everything else is working perfectly.
    Thanks for the posts and links, Doge, very helpful. My 16GB XT1032 doesn't have any problems with Lollipop, but it doesn't seem any smoother/zippier than on KitKat, either. If anything the battery life is not as good as it was (I used to get two full days no problem; it's more like a day and a bit since the upgrade) Do you notice a big improvement there, post-downgrade? If so I think I'll give it a whirl...

peckerhead wrote: »
    Thanks for the posts and links, Doge, very helpful. My 16GB XT1032 doesn't have any problems with Lollipop, but it doesn't seem any smoother/zippier than on KitKat, either. If anything the battery life is not as good as it was (I used to get two full days no problem; it's more like a day and a bit since the upgrade) Do you notice a big improvement there, post-downgrade? If so I think I'll give it a whirl...

Is their not a cyangen one or the like rather than going back to that?

peckerhead wrote: »

The idle battery life is insanely good on Kitkat.

With light use i managed to get 3 full days (til midnight) out of it.
    I stress light use though, wifi only always on, not using data.

You should surely get 2 days out of it as long as youre not using data excessively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

That sounds like what I remember, all right. Enough to make me go ahead... cheers again!

Edit: ...and we're done. Happy days.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My missus got the lollipop update, no real issues as of yet (about 4 days since the OTA) mind you she (like me) has not got many third party apps installed....

Seems exactly the same as my stock N5 tbh....

I installed the update for maps the other day and it used a third of my battery on the N5, I had to roll back the update for that app but its fine other than that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where's the best place to get current the Moto G now? What are peoples thoughts on how it stacks up against other phones currently. I am still on the original which I loved until I updated android and it's a bit slow and laggy now but looking to by one for my mother as a first smartphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Where's the best place to get current the Moto G now? What are peoples thoughts on how it stacks up against other phones currently. I am still on the original which I loved until I updated android and it's a bit slow and laggy now but looking to by one for my mother as a first smartphone.

Argos unlocked is where I got my old moto g. Its an old phone hardware wise and better options out there. Moto g 3rd generation is not far away but its not going to blow you away spec wise. Bigger faster and cheaper phones to be had. The big bang for your money moto g madness is an old memory now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

Moto G is still a decent phone except for the battery life. The bigger the screen the faster the battery dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Hi all,

I bought this phone in a Meteor store but the first SIM card I used was my 48 months SIM card meaning that the phone locked to the 48 network.

I am looking to get the phone unlocked and I'm struggling. I have tried 2 different eBay sellers of unlock codes and both of them were unable to provide an unlock code for my phone.

Is there anything I can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Pov06 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought this phone in a Meteor store but the first SIM card I used was my 48 months SIM card meaning that the phone locked to the 48 network.

I am looking to get the phone unlocked and I'm struggling. I have tried 2 different eBay sellers of unlock codes and both of them were unable to provide an unlock code for my phone.

Is there anything I can do?

unlock.ie €12.00, worked fine for me last month.

Anybody put cyangenmod on theirs?

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Falcon_Info

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    unlock.ie €12.00, worked fine for me last month.

Cheers. I ordered a SIM unlock code. We'll see if it works :)
    Anybody put cyangenmod on theirs?

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Falcon_Info

Yes, I am running CM 12.1 (nightly release).

Pov06 wrote: »

Yes, I am running CM 12.1 (nightly release).

Is it worth the hassle of doing it?

Is it worth the hassle of doing it?

Not really to be honest even though there is not much hassle doing it.

I installed CM to see if the issue of the keyboard minimising in Chrome would disappear. I heard it was an issue with RAM leaks so I got CM.

Haven't had any issues so far and I hope it was sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm actually considering putting CM on my gf's Moto G.
    Her one keeps slowing down and freezing and stuff.

So is CM meant to be the most stable custom ROM? If I stick one on her phone, I'd be looking for something with no fancy features, just plain old clean and 100% stable. Any advice?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'm actually considering putting CM on my gf's Moto G.
    Her one keeps slowing down and freezing and stuff.

So is CM meant to be the most stable custom ROM? If I stick one on her phone, I'd be looking for something with no fancy features, just plain old clean and 100% stable. Any advice?

To be honest if you want the most stable ROM I would go for the stock Google Play Edition ROM which has zero Motorola apps and is pretty much 100% AOSP.

CM has a lot of features added on top of Android and naturally that makes it the opposite of plain. I noticed a bit more lag on CM than on the stock Google Play Edition ROM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Google play is is f2fs btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

This one seems "optimised". Not sure if its any good though.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g/development/rom-stock-motorola-lollipop-rom-t3017510

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

So, who is getting the third generation Moto G?

I was checking out the 2GB RAM version, but it seems to be too expensive in all the Euro and UK stores. Around 290-300 euro. I wonder if it's going to go down to a more reasonable price (around 200-220)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

CyberGhost wrote: »
    So, who is getting the third generation Moto G?

I was checking out the 2GB RAM version, but it seems to be too expensive in all the Euro and UK stores. Around 290-300 euro. I wonder if it's going to go down to a more reasonable price (around 200-220)?

Not seen it on Amazon yet, where are you see it for sale ?

Not seen it on Amazon yet, where are you see it for sale ?

I went to Motorola UK, thought to order it from there, but the final price was too high.

Expansys has a 1GB model available for sale, and it's €235!

http://www.expansys.ie/motorola-moto-g-3rd-gen-black-280677/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

It seems way over priced in europe in comparison to the u.s, does anyone know a way of shipping it from the u.s to ireland through some service?

ieoin wrote: »
    It seems way over priced in europe in comparison to the u.s, does anyone know a way of shipping it from the u.s to ireland through some service?

€179 here in a few days.

What is it in the US?

$179.99 8gb 1gb ram
    $219.99 16gb 2gb ram
    'free shipping and returns'
    however not sure if that includes tax of not

have they given a price in ireland in terms of euros yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Will the America version work ok here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Will the America version work ok here ?

if it's GSM it will.

€243.64 delivered off amazon.fr if anyone is interested

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% sure, however these are the specs according to the u.s motorolla website

Networks
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE, UMTS/HSPA+, 4G LTE, CDMA
    Bands (by model)

Moto G - GSM (XT1540)
    LTE (2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17)
    UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 1700/AWS, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Moto G - Sprint Prepaid, US Cellular, Virgin Mobile (XT1548)
    LTE (2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 25, 26)
    UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 1700, 1900 MHz)
    CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)
    TD-LTE (41 TD2500)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

if it's GSM it will.

Do Amazon.fr delivery to Ireland?

If they do and If it drops to €220 delivered, I'll go for it.

$179.99 8gb 1gb ram
    $219.99 16gb 2gb ram
    'free shipping and returns'
    however not sure if that includes tax of not

have they given a price in ireland in terms of euros yet?

Irish times says new Customisable Motog will be starting at €179, out early August in Ireland.

MotoX, new models, 5.7inch, thats an awful size, maybe their that size already but i didn't think they'd go bigger than the already abit big 5.5.

Motog is waterproof to a meter.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/motorola-looks-to-undercut-rivals-with-budget-handsets-1.2300982

Irish times says new Customisable Motog will be starting at €179, out early August in Ireland.

MotoX, new models, 5.7inch, thats an awful size, maybe their that size already but i didn't think they'd go bigger than the already abit big 5.5.

Motog is waterproof to a meter.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/motorola-looks-to-undercut-rivals-with-budget-handsets-1.2300982

Hopefully, she didn't just copy-paste that price and change $ to €.

If the price is correct, I wonder what's going to happen to the first gen and the second gen Moto G handsets now? They are still available, so are they going to drop in price? If they do, then what about Moto E?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Do Amazon.fr delivery to Ireland?

If they do and If it drops to €220 delivered, I'll go for it.

The one I linked is the 16gb with 2gb ram. They will delivier it to Ireland yes, but amazon.de won't
    Hopefully, she didn't just copy-paste that price and change $ to €.

I have a feeling she did. With the euro being weak to the dollar and since both amazon fr and de are selling 8gb at €199 and 16gb at €229, I'd say they're the RRP's

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

if it's GSM it will.

The 16gb is only available for pre-order on Amazon.fr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

if it's GSM it will.

That is crazy money for a phone still with a 410 chip. Not affordable whatsoever. Much better phones for much less money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Techmaster wrote: »
    That is crazy money for a phone still with a 410 chip. Not affordable whatsoever. Much better phones for much less money.

which ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

which ones?

Smart Ultra 6 and any of the Chinese phones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Techmaster wrote: »
    Smart Ultra 6

By the time Vodafone stocks that, it won't be a bargain anymore. And it seems like it has a lot of bugs if you actually can get it.

I agree though, the value isn't there anymore with Moto G considering how low the specs are and how high the price is.

Advertisement