Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Mercedes seem to be showing everyone else the way at Jerez.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wouldn't surprise me at all if there's an even bigger gap between them and the rest of the field this year. Hopefully not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

An hour in and everyone that took to the track are still going. Compare that to last year. Ros was on medium and Ric was on hards.

Dying to see/hear the Honda McLaren!!

Where's the best site to follow this, Autosport?

• Advertisement

Ricciardo suffers an engine failure.

Live timing here.

http://en.f1i.com/live/#

Merc doesn't sound as muffled as last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9NBUZZM3Jw

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

12:30 - Gregory Demoen from F1i FR was keeping count of all of Rosberg's lap times from that long run: out lap, 1:24.662, 1:24.774, 1:24.857, 1:25.032, 1:25.238, 1:25.471, 1:25.811, 1:25.568, 1:25.484, 1:25.863, 1:25.998, 1:26.512, 1:26.966, 1:26.308, 1:26.028, 1:26.326, 1:26.612, 1:26.409, 1:26.410, 1:26.607, 1:26.455, 1:26.385, 1:26.434, 1:26.270, 1:26.338, 1:26.499, 1:27.037, in lap.

Looks like Merc are going to have a huge amount of data to work out tactics and suss out performance benefits of any changes.

On a side note - I wish RB would keep that livery for the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Looks like Merc are going to have a huge amount of data to work out tactics and suss out performance benefits of any changes.

On a side note - I wish RB would keep that livery for the season!

I love the black and white of the RB ... just make the bull on top red and hey presto, car sorted :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I love the black and white of the RB ... just make the bull on top red and hey presto, car sorted :D

It wouldn't work on TV i'd say

That's it for the day. Interesting indeed. Can't wait for some detailed analysis.

Sebastian VettelFerrari 1m22.620s2
    Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1m22.777s +0.1573
    Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m23.106s +0.4864
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 1m23.338s +0.7185
    Valtteri Bottas Williams 1m23.906s +1.2866
    Carlos Sainz Jr Toro Rosso 1m25.327s +2.7077
    Fernando Alonso McLaren 1m40.738s +18.118

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭lolie

It wouldn't work on TV i'd say

Yeah would it not be just a blurry mess on tv and people might get fed up of it after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The McLaren isn't looking as bad as I first feared. Reminds me a bit of the A Team van.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The McLaren isn't looking as bad as I first feared. Reminds me a bit of the A Team van.

Relevant.

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/561905880070127617

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/561914918086410240

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Last year at the end of day one, Raikonnen and Ferrari were top of the timesheets. This year its Vettel in the Ferrari. I wonder how much better they are this year.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the cars properly (hopefully) on Sky's roundups tonight from 9.

From the few clips I've seen on Youtube the Merc sounds a lot louder and raw compared to the other teams.

This sounds like a big hairy chested 80's turbo. Last year it sounded muffled right from the 1st test so hopefully this will stay as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I see there's some report on the first day of the test at 9pm on sky f1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The colours on Marcus Ericssons helmet certainly do match those on the Sauber:

28701.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Linky to autosport http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/814

Redbull testing without the front wing!!

Rather strange, also does anyone else think the redbull paint job is specifically designed to help hide minor aero body parts

1422871889.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Linky to autosport http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/814

Redbull testing without the front wing!!

Rather strange, also does anyone else think the redbull paint job is specifically designed to help hide minor aero body parts

1422871889.jpg

Kyvat damaged the only front wing they have. They're waiting for a new one to be flown out.

Adrian Newey said yesterday that the livery is to help disguise some of the things they've done. Make of that what you will.

Vettel in the Ferrari is 1.4 seconds faster than the best time of testing in 2014. Hopefully Ferrari (or someone!) have made a step to bridge the gap to the Mercs. Unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That is usually the reason for this type of paint job. Very difficult to pick out detail. It could just be a bluff to give a bit of extra work to all the other teams in terms of trying to capture details off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

From the few clips I've seen on Youtube the Merc sounds a lot louder and raw compared to the other teams.

This sounds like a big hairy chested 80's turbo. Last year it sounded muffled right from the 1st test so hopefully this will stay as is.

Can't hear a big difference with the other cars; This is how they sound for real, when you are at the side of the track. It is indeed reminiscent of the old turbo engines, if a bit more "tame" due to all the 21st century refinement.

I'll reiterate again, it's the TV broadcast.Most YT videos out there, taken with a mobile phone, have actually better sound than the official footage; For the entire 2014 season they didn't manage to get their act together with the sound filters - which essentially ended up eliminating most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

OSI wrote: »
    I seem to remember reading that the engine made for very difficult sound engineering for the TV crews because they fell into the same range as other noise meaning you couldn't pick them out easily.

Heard the same explanation, I can understand the difficulty.

Yet, if a camera phone video has better sound than the broadcast, maybe just removing the filters might help? Broadcasts from the '80s were certainly much less refined, technically wise; Sometimes you could hardly hear the commentator, but the engines...those, you could hear :D

Rumours Force India will miss the season opener as well as the testing.

You can make the argument that Marussia and Caterham didn't really add anything to the show of F1 other than being moving chicanes but Force India scored 155 points last year and at times looked like beating Mclaren. If this turns out to be true F1 is in big big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Rumours Force India will miss the season opener as well as the testing.

You can make the argument that Marussia and Caterham didn't really add anything to the show of F1 other than being moving chicanes but Force India scored 155 points last year and at times looked like beating Mclaren. If this turns out to be true F1 is in big big trouble.

I wouldn't like to be a Force India employee with all those rumours of the teams health going around.

I just hope those rumours are untrue and that FI will make it to the first race of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

veganrun wrote: »
    Last year at the end of day one, Raikonnen and Ferrari were top of the timesheets. This year its Vettel in the Ferrari. I wonder how much better they are this year.

Continuing to improve on times too... here's hoping it's at least an indication of Ferrari being more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Come back Eddie and save/resurrect the Jordan team!

Come back Eddie and save/resurrect the Jordan team!

I'm sure EJ could find more sensible things to do with his money than buying an F1 team, like setting it on fire :pac:

According to a quick google EJ is worth 475 million dollars. Even if he was given the team for nothing he's still unlikely to be making enough money from his other business interests to cover what most f1 teams are losing. It's just not feasible for a private individual to own an F1 team without a net worth of atleast a billion dollars and even at that it's going to be a serious chunk of their income.

• Advertisement

Not to mention that EJ doesn't own a raft of companies that he can plaster all over the car as if it's got proper third party sponsors.

Advertisement