Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ive done both for the last 3 years..
    Yes, if you can do the WW200, you can do the Marmotte. BUT if you intend enjoying the Marmotte, you should be able to do the WW200 and feel fairly fresh at the end! If you finish the WW200 and your dead on your feet, then you could be in trouble in July.

Also, I wouldn't sit back and relx after the WW. get back out to Wicklow the next weekend and do a lumpy 150K each weekend until the end of June.

Where u staying RB? I am going as well and ur post summed up exactly want I wanted to know!
    Lapierre, what advice would you have for training between now and then? I have entered the big italian cycle up north, Wicklow and heading to mt Teide in April, all in preparation for la marmotte. Weather at the minute means I am on te turbo this past two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Lapierre, what advice would you have for training between now and then? I have entered the big italian cycle up north, Wicklow and heading to mt Teide in April, all in preparation for la marmotte. Weather at the minute means I am on te turbo this past two weeks!

Its all about Endurance, but at this time of year, just getting out on the bike is enough. The first sign of Frost/ice, stay at home, you dont' want to risk a broken collar bone!

Start thinking about increasing your distance (100k+) around February/March ... the more hills the better.

Doing events like the Wicklow 200, Mt Teide etc. is great preparation and good motivation too.

The link below has good advise, training tips etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057044244

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Did the W200 for the first time in 2013, was dreading it before the day and didn’t sleep well (my training longest distance was ~80Km with 4000ft climbing and I was dead on my feet), Flogged myself around with the wrong gearing (Alfine hub) and had to walk parts of both the shay elliot and the one next to it. Good weather and lots of drafting though, I knew all the route from mtbing/commute except the last 30km, lost my head at glenealy thinking I was nearly back and broke my head when I saw there was still 20km left or so a bit further down the road, that savage bumpy road out of ashford killed my hands and that short sharp climb in kilcoole? broke me some more. Managed to get around in 10 hours 50mins and was in bits, but with a medal, more sleepy tired than exhausted, but still exhausted.

Swore never again as I lay there in bed at night my right hand twitching uncontrollably.

Did it again in 2014 – hadn’t trained any longer distance (time constraints) but was doing 150km a week commute, had lost weight, stopped drinking for 3 months and felt ready to hit my target of the previous year’s average 10 hours, with slighter lower gearing on the Alfine (dropped to a 20T from a 18T on the back). Then I saw the weather – I’ve always started to early and missed the queue at the first feed station, but I remember getting to Laragh and seeing the black clouds over the top of the gap and nearly everyone turning left to Rathdrum. I was sooooo close and then thought “I’ve put all this effort in, I’m not turning left now”. I don’t recall a tailwind up the Gap, but it’s grand in my lowest gear to grind up. I do recall 5 of us working together well on the N81 section trying to hit 25kph (the year before we had zipped along at 35kph) and struggling, I also recall the start of the first climb up shay elliot/slieve maan when the rain was so heavy it was like cycling in the shower, not daring to move my head in case the torrent of water decided to run into my eyes . I was well off my timeline, ave speed down around 18-19kph, ( I preferred the 2013 system of a marker every 10Km rather than the 2014 system) and struggled on, I did have to walk the bottom section of the climb out of glenmalure but managed the other climbs, slowly but managed them all. Then I got to that long descent past the tree place (Irelands arboretum?) got caught up in a fast group with the wind at our back and absolutely mullered the relatively level route back (which avoided the washboard route out of Avondale) , chuckled at the speed camera van and got back dead on 10 hours (9.15 rolling), which was nice.

Swore never to do it again.

Just signed up for 2015 (will also be signing up for the ROK to tick that box), as it’s a great motivational tool in the spring time, I’ll struggle to do 150km a week this coming year but I’m hoping for better weather to keep my time in and around the 10 hour mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for the post saccades, I just signed up for this. It will be my first ever event, only been on the bike a couple of months, so it is good to hear that it can be done. And yes, I know I have filtered out all but the positives from your post, but that's just the way I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Recommend you do at least one sportive in Wicklow if possible prior to doing the W200. It will give an idea of what the hills are like and allow you to gradually build up your distance. Last year I did the Skoda Tour of Wicklow in April (110k) and the Orwell Randonee in May (140k). There are several other events that cover the same terrain should those two not suit.

• Advertisement

Lissard - great advice, will stick them on my list of to-do's, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

Thanks for the post saccades, I just signed up for this. It will be my first ever event, only been on the bike a couple of months, so it is good to hear that it can be done. And yes, I know I have filtered out all but the positives from your post, but that's just the way I am!

do the three peaks challenge if you can.... great training sportive for the W200
    this was from last june http://www.southeastroadclub.com/2014/03/serc-3-peaks-challenge-2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

zindicato wrote: »
    do the three peaks challenge if you can.... great training sportive for the W200
    this was from last june http://www.southeastroadclub.com/2014/03/serc-3-peaks-challenge-2014/

The above event is on in April and just to second the above comment great route really let's you know how you winter training has gone .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

/me puts on list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Let's hope there's a tailwind on the Wicklow Gap this year....

http://youtu.be/5Ys3ixek-0g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Any news on the route for 2015? Perhaps same as last year or will they change it?

I see the website doesnt have the details yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bazermc wrote: »
    Any news on the route for 2015? Perhaps same as last year or will they change it?

I see the website doesnt have the details yet

Same as 2014.

The 2015 Wicklow 200/100 will take place on Sunday 7th June 2015
    The route will be the same as 2014.

http://www.wicklow200.ie/the-2015-event/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Feck it I'll give it a go home county and all that.

Distance will be weather dependant though I'd say. I came home from a spin today looking like a drowned rat although I'm a stubborn F'er.

Has anyone got his on strava or somewhere I could download the route to a garmin.

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Has anyone got his on strava or somewhere I could download the route to a garmin.

You should be able to download the .gpx from the link below and upload to your Garmin.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/greystones-l/2015-wicklow-200-route-151364415

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

It was really nice down there today. The Sally Gap section is stunning (sun helps) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Signed up for the Lap de Gaps 100k in may today in preparation for this. Can't wait now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Signed up for the Lap de Gaps 100k in may today in preparation for this. Can't wait now!

Just signed up there myself hope the weather is like last year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Guys, any idea what time the Ireland vs. England match would be on at?
    It's the same day as the WW200. And I'd really like to watch it as I have a ticket.
    I'd say I'd be about 8-10 hours doing the 200.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's the same day as the WW200. And I'd really like to watch it as I have a ticket.

The time isn't written on your ticket?

KO @ 2000h according to BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/england/fixtures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

I'm really tempted to do the 200 as it seems like a nice event and nice way to see Wicklow but not sure if I'd be ready by June. The toughest cycle I've done so far is the Tour of Waterford 160km route. The catch is that that is always on August so I had a whole summer of cycling to build up to it. I'm not sure how much harder it would be to have a big event in June. I haven't done much cycling or other exercise this winter so far.
    Can anyone say how the Wicklow 200 compares to the Tour of Waterford 160km route? The extra 40k is obvious but are the hills a lot worse too? I've never cycled in Wicklow before. There are 4 substantial climbs on the SKT of Waterford but there's also a lot of flat stuff. I'm guessing there is less flat in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

If you can do the SKT you can almost certainly do the W200. It's 2200m of climbing vs 2700m of climbing. Prior to doing the W200 last year the most I'd done was 140k and 2100m. The worst part of the W200 for me was the last 40km as the legs were nearly gone and it's still pretty lumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

The time isn't written on your ticket?
    It's a season ticket.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    Thanks, I can do the WW200!
    lissard wrote: »
    If you can do the SKT you can almost certainly do the W200. It's 2200m of climbing vs 2700m of climbing. Prior to doing the W200 last year the most I'd done was 140k and 2100m. The worst part of the W200 for me was the last 40km as the legs were nearly gone and it's still pretty lumpy.

Do lots of pushups, so you can support your bodyweight as you descend.

Thanks, I can do the WW200!

I think you have your priorities backwards. Surely you mean "I can watch the match"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

LAds, I really want to do this.

I've said it to a few friends of mine, some of whom are MTB'ers to do it with me and the one seasoned roadie that I did ask gave me an outright no and the MTB'ers are still laughing at me.

I can lash out a 130k cycle no issues (biggest ride so far)

I can climb albeit with a bit of suffering.

Biggest climb I've done in a day was on the Mountain bike and that was over 1200m.

How hideous are these climbs? Are they near veritcal or are they gradual given that they're over 200KM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

MugMugs wrote: »

I've said it to a few friends of mine, some of whom are MTB'ers to do it with me and the one seasoned roadie that I did ask gave me an outright no and the MTB'ers are still laughing at me.

Biggest climb I've done in a day was on the Mountain bike and that was over 1200m.

How hideous are these climbs? Are they near veritcal or are they gradual given that they're over 200KM ?

i did it last year and the climbs are long but not super tough. There are short climbs near my home which are 15%+ but i don't think we encountered anything like that. its all about pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

MugMugs wrote: »

I did this a few years ago, climbing then was about 2,500m in total, I would imagine it's similar this year. If you're able to do 130km spins with 1,200m of climbing you'll be grand. Personally, I found it mentally challenging to go the extra distance, and found myself getting hungry as I always find it hard to eat on long spins. I'd suggest practicing eating for long rides, maybe try out energy gels, bars, whatever works for you. You'll also probably find a suitably-paced group on the day and that will help you get through the difficult bits.

Any tips for training for this, or milestones to hit while training. Most I have done in a day is 100km. So I'd like to know what targets I should be looking to hit between now and then to give myself a decent shot of avoiding a coronary on the day if at all possible. Or worse, blousing out and only doing the 200.

Re climbing, I'm up Stocking Lane/Cruagh Road a fair bit, (I don't like it but) I can do them a couple of times in a row and recover ok and keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

get out and do some of the climbs involved in the 200, none of them are bad at all in isolation, its the fact that you have to string em together in often brutal weather thats tough.

did it the past couple years and always did the lap de gaps 100 and then the mick byrne 160 as preparation leading up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭billyhead

Any tips for training for this, or milestones to hit while training. Most I have done in a day is 100km. So I'd like to know what targets I should be looking to hit between now and then to give myself a decent shot of avoiding a coronary on the day if at all possible. Or worse, blousing out and only doing the 200.

Re climbing, I'm up Stocking Lane/Cruagh Road a fair bit, (I don't like it but) I can do them a couple of times in a row and recover ok and keep going.

You will be able to manage the WW200 no probs. I only averaged 150km total cycling per week and did it in 8.5 hours last year in my 1st ww200 in pretty horrible weather. Its more a mental thing then physical in completing it. You should try and do the Orwell Randonee in early May which is harder but shorter in distance. If you can do that without any major problems the 200 will be no bother to you.

Advertisement