Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭SteM

bd250110 wrote: »
    If the ONE X and ONE s have a better camera than an iPhone 4s, this will be the best camera on Android by a country mile. The 4s is capable of taking stunning photos, with incredible quality, Im looking forward to seeing what the ONE series brings.

The Nexus does not have an SD card slot, I think this is the way Android might be going. Surely performance will always be better from on-board memory than an SD? As I recall ICS does not handle SD cards particularly elegantly, something to do with how Android 3.0 differs from earlier versions? That said, I think the ability to expand via SD is a feature with keeping and is great for lower priced handsets, to keep costs down. Also for tablets, which are likely to need that bit more memory. The current race is for thinner phones, with better battery life and bigger screens. The removable battery and SD cards are two of the sacrifices for these improvements, I suspect many of these phones will move to micro-SIM's too.

I understand the reason for moving away from Micro SD but if I'm travelling I like to load my phone up with videos, music and podcasts for the trip. I think on board memory may be too constraining considering I may want to use the camera to take photos or videos while I'm on my trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

The 25GB of dropbox storage HTC have included with the One series for 2years will also help for storing photos etc. And with my "all u can eat data" 3 contract I'll get good use out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

jmal wrote: »
    The 25GB of dropbox storage HTC have included with the One series for 2years will also help for storing photos etc. And with my "all u can eat data" 3 contract I'll get good use out of it!

It's all well and good if you are in Ireland or a 3-like home country, if not it could be more of an issue, unless free WiFi is fairly prevalent. I think only offering 16GB is a pity, the option of 32GB would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

ofcork wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea when o2 will have this?

There stocking it anyway, Link, probably won't have it until around April, nobody knows yet when the carriers will have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,012 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://forums.meteor.ie/t5/HTC/HTC-One-X/td-p/28511
    We'll be selling the One X but I don't have a date for it yet!

Steven

Well, that is certainly good to hear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

jmal wrote: »

Or anyone can get the free 50GB available if you download the Box app, doesn't have instant upload feature, but I plan to transfer between dropbox and box

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Now we know how the HTC devices handle the legacy menu anyway.
    Black bar(with just the menu button) appears at the bottom of non ICS apps.
    Seems pretty space wasty
    menubuttonone.png
    http://android.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/this-is-how-the-legacy-menu-button-appears-on-t-r361

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭SteM

bd250110 wrote: »
    It's all well and good if you are in Ireland or a 3-like home country, if not it could be more of an issue, unless free WiFi is fairly prevalent. I think only offering 16GB is a pity, the option of 32GB would be nice.

The One X has 32GB.

http://www.htc.com/uk/smartphones/htc-one-x/#specs

The One S only has 16GB which is a pity because it's probably the phone I'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Seems pretty space wasty
    Really don't like that. Just seems broken.

Why Google ever removed the Menu and Search buttons in the first place is a mystery to me... two buttons I'd previously used all the time. And no Search?! It's Google! Strange one.

But, at least on my GNex I was able to install a custom rom and get those two buttons back -- it's just software. Works great now, and it's not like there's a shortage of space for them!

The hardware buttons on the HTC One would actually put me off buying it, tbh. It's a "small" thing compared to other features and specs but one you're going to notice every single time you pick up the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

SteM wrote: »
    The One X has 32GB.

http://www.htc.com/uk/smartphones/htc-one-x/#specs

The One S only has 16GB which is a pity because it's probably the phone I'd go for.

Same. It is a bit of a pity. At least you get a choice of capacities on the other platform. Android seems to be taking queues from iOS and iOS taking as many from Android. Unfortunately I don't think some of the elements Android and/or OEMs are taking from iOS are necessarily the better ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Seems pretty space wasty
    -
    http://android.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/this-is-how-the-legacy-menu-button-appears-on-t-r361

It does just look strange alright. I've ICS (IceColdSandwich version 4) running on my DHD, and as it does have the hardware button this doesn't show up thankfully! Just seems to be a very odd design decision by HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It does just look strange alright. I've ICS (IceColdSandwich version 4) running on my DHD, and as it does have the hardware button this doesn't show up thankfully! Just seems to be a very odd design decision by HTC.

Desire HD already has (sensibly) Menu and Search buttons, so there's no need for the transient "menu button bar".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

SteM wrote: »
    I understand the reason for moving away from Micro SD but if I'm travelling I like to load my phone up with videos, music and podcasts for the trip. I think on board memory may be too constraining considering I may want to use the camera to take photos or videos while I'm on my trip.
    i wonder if they're going to make use of USB host mode?

would be nice to have te option so you just needed to get a micro to regular (female) usb adapter so you could connect a USB flash drive up to it and archive off older data if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Goodshape wrote: »
    Desire HD already has (sensibly) Menu and Search buttons, so there's no need for the transient "menu button bar".

Ah yeah, I just meant that it's something that HTC must have consciously had to add in given the lack of hard/soft button, and makes it a very unusual design decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ah yeah, I just meant that it's something that HTC must have consciously had to add in given the lack of hard/soft button, and makes it a very unusual design decision.

HTC are probably looking more towards future designs.
    The newer app design guidelines have everything designed to be main options in the action bar and additional in the overflow(3 dots). Theyre probably hoping thje vast majority of devs update to this standard so their workaround becomes irrelevant

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sweet, I think this will be my new phone. I have the sensation now and although its good, it can be laggy, the camera sucks and so does the battery. I really want a decent camera, I'd love the iPhone 4s camera but I hate iPhones. Is this camera really better than the 4s, Really??? I did not think 0.7 seconds shutter time was all that good. Is that 0.7 seconds between bushing the button and it capturing the photo? A lot can happen in that time when it comes to photography.

I will be interested to see the battery performance. I had the Desire before this, it was staggeringly bad. The Sensation is a little better, but still fairly crap. With moderate to heavy use it has little chance of lasting the day. With such a big processor and screen, its unlikely this will be much better.

Any news of when this is coming out? I tweeted O2 but they said it's still in test and no news of when it might be available..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thinking of picking up this as well,out of contract end of april with vf and have a sensation at the mo like you say i hope the battery is better although at 1800mah it should be even with quad core.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Also out of contract in April. But going to skip this round and wait for the next one. What's being touted from HTC just feels like no major change, and even what's going round about the S3 seems more muted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Any ideas on pricing yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Also out of contract in April. But going to skip this round and wait for the next one. What's being touted from HTC just feels like no major change, and even what's going round about the S3 seems more muted.

What exactly do you want your phone to do?

• Advertisement

Zagato wrote: »
    What exactly do you want your phone to do?
    given his username i think futurama may have raised his expectations a little too high. ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Here is an android phone with Huge battery life: http://allthingsd.com/20120306/a-droid-phone-with-a-battery-that-outlasts-most-talkers - why can't the others do the same? For a lot of people it would be the/a key decided when chosing between e.g the HTC One and the S3 etc. Would be a big marketing tool. The mind boggles.

i totally agree. i don't know why they can't just do it the way they used to where the back case WAS your battery and you could jus slot on a bigger battery if your needs required it, or take the slimmer one if you were only a light user and portability was more important to you than longevity.

News this morning o2 in the uk will have the one x on 5th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Any word on O2 Ireland or any other Irish network, Man they are very slow at testing these phones, sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

http://myandroidchief.com/htc-one-x-and-one-s-set-for-pre-order-at-phones4u-uk/Phone4U in UK are saying that they will have stock in on April 5.

Interesting to see the prices (or not) of the HTC One range in UK. God we really are getting screwed in Ireland :mad:

There giving away a free phone to hd tv adapter for all Pre orders, doubt we will see that in this country but fingers crossed

The prices here may not be too bad although they are talking about 2 year contracts in the uk.

Any sign of any Irish network giving a release date and/or price plans for the one x yet lads

• Advertisement

not sure, but i got an email from expansys today saying they have the one series available for pre-order now on the website.

http://www.expansys.com/s.aspx?sid=34527584&man=HTC&search=one

i pre-ordered and bought the n97 off them and it turned up on my doorstep the day before launch day in the UK, so that was pretty sweet. :)

just a shame it was such an utterly brutal phone. :(

Advertisement