Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Just ordered the Moto dual sim version from amazon. When it comes should I upgrade it to lollipo or not as there appear to be a number of issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sunup123

Went back a good few pages. Has anyone rooted this phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

The little one dropped the missus's moto g and the screen is cracked,got a replacement screen but need a torx t4 driver. Any brick and mortar store sell this driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

EDIT: its not. They opened one for me. Single only.

Can anyone confirm if this is dual sim. Got one recently for someone and it was, but no mention of it here and I need a dual sim.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3794856.htm

If not could anyone reccomend a dual sim android in a similar(ish) price bracket.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Just ordered the Moto dual sim version from amazon. When it comes should I upgrade it to lollipo or not as there appear to be a number of issues with it.

Lollipop messed up my moto G. I wouldn't upgrade until Motorola are pushing the 5.1 upgrade. Avoid 5.02 for now. My phone is a bit of a dog now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Thanks Stereosound. I currently have 4.4.4 and it wants me to upgrade to 5.0. It keeps annoying me asking if I want to update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

vkid wrote: »
    EDIT: its not. They opened one for me. Single only.

Can anyone confirm if this is dual sim. Got one recently for someone and it was, but no mention of it here and I need a dual sim.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3794856.htm

If not could anyone reccomend a dual sim android in a similar(ish) price bracket.

Thanks

4G Moto G is not dual sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

ardmacha wrote: »
    4G Moto G is not dual sim.
    XT1068 is a dual sim version of the 5" (2nd gen) 4G Moto G. I've no idea what brick and mortar stores here might have it but expansys do http://www.expansys.ie/motorola-moto-g5-black-265662/ (no affiliation/recommendation, just first place I checked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Thanks. The last one I bought in Argos was 4g and dual sim so I knew they were around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

My screen glass is well smashed up on my 16gb moto g

Would I be better off upgrading rather than fix the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

My screen glass is well smashed up on my 16gb moto g

Would I be better off upgrading rather than fix the screen.
    I was quoted 70€ for a replacement screen for my moto g, it might be worth pricing around to see can you get it done for less?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭SM01

I'm in Edinburgh at the moment and struggled to find anyone to replace my shattered screen. Eventually i found someone to do it for 75 pounds. Very expensive but I was happy with my how my 6 month phone is set up and if I was to get a new phone it would just be a moto g again. I got it repaired and the phone is like new again (apart from sh1tty lollipop).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

I'm running the latest Lollipop update on this device.

What bothers me about the update is how much control anyone who picks it up has over the phone despite it being locked such as being able to turn on / off the wifi or bluetooth, adjusting screen brightness and volume or being able to turn the phone off.

Is it an easy process to switch back to the previous update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

minitrue wrote: »
    XT1068 is a dual sim version of the 5" (2nd gen) 4G Moto G. I've no idea what brick and mortar stores here might have it but expansys do http://www.expansys.ie/motorola-moto-g5-black-265662/ (no affiliation/recommendation, just first place I checked).

The phone is this ad has no sign of 4G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭inigo

T-Bird wrote: »
    It's a new phone and not working. I'd go to shop where you got it and see what they say. They might take it and send it away. Check shops policy on their website.

Regarding security, they normally ask for it to be factory reset before sending. But you can't do that.

Other option is Motorola Ireland website.

My one was sent away twice last year, they (tesco direct) replaced it the second time.

So I finally managed to get to Argos. I got my money back. I've already ordered another one on Amazon. It was 5-10 euro more expensive, so not the end of the world. Still under 200 bobs.

They don't do repairs in Argos and didn't have the 2nd gen 5" dual sim in black even in the catalogue any more. They did have 2 white ones, which I didn't mind, closest in Portlaoise but they wouldn't deliver to my "local" store. Initially, they said I couldn't get my money back and offered to give me a voucher towards another phone. I asked why, the girl spoke to the manager and I got my money back without any arguments... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

The phone is this ad has no sign of 4G.

The naming is a bit ridiculous on these phones. The link you quoted was the 1st 2nd gen. 5", which indeed does not have 4G and is dual sim. The newer one, the 2nd 2nd gen 5" does have 4G but have never seen a dual sim version.

EDIT: Just for completeness, there is a 2nd 1st gen, which is a 4.5" 4G single sim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

any recommendations for a case for the Moto G 5 Inch 4G version ? Thanks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Tony H wrote: »
    any recommendations for a case for the Moto G 5 Inch 4G version ? Thanks .

Closed Case or Open Face....either way, lots on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

open face , just need an opinion from someone that has bought one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Tony H wrote: »
    open face , just need an opinion from someone that has bought one .

I just bought this for my 4g

http://ie.mobilefun.com/49586-flexishield-moto-g-2nd-gen-case-smoke-black.htm

Decent quality and fit, doesn't degrade wifi (my old iPhone 5 case dulled the WiFi signal which annoyed me intensely), decent raised lip around the screen, wasn't sure about the cut out for the buttons initially but its fine, adds a small bit of bulk (it is a case though!) and perhaps not as grippy as some might want but I prefer the matt finish. I'm sure there are better cases to be found but this site had quite a few photos which was useful. Was looking for black but I went for the smoke finish as I wanted the moto sign visible, I was looking at the Orzly one on Amazon as I preferred the cut out at the back but some of the negative reviews about the buttons put me off. Unless you can actually see a case before buying its always a bit of an unknown but as a suck it and see it turned out just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Phone getting very laggy at times, very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Any word on when a new update is due and whether it will fix the festering mess Lollipop made?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigdaddy2010

Phone getting very laggy at times, very annoying.

I know. I usually go into settings>apps>running apps and close apps which aren't necessary. Shouldn't have to do it but unfortunately no other choice

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Anyone have the looping start up screen?

Have it and can't get a fix. Anyone with a Motorola contact number for repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigdaddy2010

See new 4g version of moto g 2nd generation down to 200 euro in Argos. Happy days

Checkargos.com 3794856

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Any word on when Lollipop is coming to the Moto 4G?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Pizzle wrote: »

Jesus, avoid it like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Still waiting as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Got a 4g from Argos about a month ago & it updated immediately to 5.0.2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

jgbyr wrote: »
    Got a 4g from Argos about a month ago & it updated immediately to 5.0.2.

Prob 2nd gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Jesus, avoid it like the plague.

Fair enough, may hold off for a while so!

When I got my replacement 2nd gen 3g dual sim from amazon, it came with 5.0.2 already installed. I've no issues with the phone or lollipop. It actually feels lightning fast after using my old zte blade for a few weeks!!

Edit: Original phone was from Argos. Got money back and bought same phone from amazon.co.uk

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've had Lollipop on my 2014 2nd gen for 3 months and have had no issues with it whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I bought one off Amazon last week for a family member and it had Lollipop pre-installed, felt smooth and responsive to me when I was setting it up. Nice phone for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭SM01

My experience of installing lollipop has been a very laggy, stuttering phone. I did the reboot and cleared the cache as kindly explained by a previous poster and while the performance subsequently improved, it's still noticeably slower and still lagging compared to kit kat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Lollipop F'd up my second gen, I hate it and wish I never upgraded. Its slow, buggy and I can't use some of my games on full detail anymore since frame rate is killing the experience.

The 3rd gen moto G is approaching soon I would suggest anyone not to buy the current moto G...

Even at €200 for the 4g second gen in Argos is not worth it IMO. Save your €200 for the 3rd gen at this stage.

Lollipop F'd up my second gen, I hate it and wish I never upgraded. Its slow, buggy and I can't use some of my games on full detail anymore since frame rate is killing the experience.

The 3rd gen moto G is approaching soon I would suggest anyone not to buy the current moto G...

Even at €200 for the 4g second gen in Argos is not worth it IMO. Save your €200 for the 3rd gen at this stage.

What will be different in the 3rd gen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just shattered my bloody screen on my original, still works fine though. Anyone replace theirs?

Or best option for a replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just shattered my bloody screen on my original, still works fine though. Anyone replace theirs?

Or best option for a replacement?

Think there's a few posts here somewhere. From what I remember, the screens are very cheap and easy to do. Order a set of tools for the job as well if you ordering from China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

inigo wrote: »
    What will be different in the 3rd gen?

speculation here http://motog3.com/
    not sure if they actually know more than anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

thats just someone hoping for clicks so they can make money from the ads.

Its a load of speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

T-Bird wrote: »
    Think there's a few posts here somewhere. From what I remember, the screens are very cheap and easy to do. Order a set of tools for the job as well if you ordering from China.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082234&page=44 see post #1737 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Hey thinking of buying the 4g version from argos for 199 with 5inch screen.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=3794856&authToken=

Is lollipop guaranteed to mess it up? I'm switching from a 4s cause it seems tiny. Heard great things about this for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Lollipop seems to be hit and miss for some people. Most of the complaints seem to come from those who upgraded from KitKat. The one in Argos should come with Lollipop already installed, so hopefully you won't have any problems.

Lollipop seems to be hit and miss for some people. Most of the complaints seem to come from those who upgraded from KitKat. The one in Argos should come with Lollipop already installed, so hopefully you won't have any problems.

Cheers for the reply. I think I'll go with it then. From what I read it could be awhile since the new one comes out. Been awhile with apple but looking forward to switch to this for the price. Plus no more itunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

I have both the 2nd gen Moto E and Moto G which ship with lollipop. On paper the specs seem decent enough but the lagginess and bugs experienced pretty much nullifies that. The original Moto E and G were genuinely good phones for their time but their successors has been lazy, incremental rehashes and HTC, OnePlusOne are catching up very quickly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Catching up? They're in a different league spec wise. The moto range were budget handsets. The price of the 5 inch being over 200 euro was a joke for the "upgraded" spec. The next one needs an actual upgrade with the CPU and 2gm of ram of its pointless. No point comparing them with a OPO though, miles apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

RossieMan wrote: »
    Catching up? They're in a different league spec wise. The moto range were budget handsets. The price of the 5 inch being over 200 euro was a joke for the "upgraded" spec. The next one needs an actual upgrade with the CPU and 2gm of ram of its pointless. No point comparing them with a OPO though, miles apart.

I was more talking about HTCs mid range handsets but I saw something saying that the next (unverified ) Moto G was accidentally published on an Indian website before being removed and it had a snapdragon 610 CPU with 2 gigs of RAM which would be sweet. I'm a big fan of the Moto handsets as they are a way to access basically the stock android experience with acceptable levels of performance, at prices that people can afford to buy out of contract.

I'm with meteor and the prices they are charging for top end handsets these days are eye watering, so the Motorola phones are a happy medium . That said, they dropped the ball a bit with the 2nd gen handsets so hopefully they'll get back on track with future models.

magoo84 wrote: »
    I have both the 2nd gen Moto E and Moto G which ship with lollipop. On paper the specs seem decent enough but the lagginess and bugs experienced pretty much nullifies that. The original Moto E and G were genuinely good phones for their time but their successors has been lazy, incremental rehashes and HTC, OnePlusOne are catching up very quickly .

The spec on the oneplusone looks class. especially the camera compared to the 2nd gen. butou jump up to 300 it becomes a bigger commitment on something when i don't actuallyneed a new phone.

magoo84 wrote: »
    I saw something saying that the next (unverified ) Moto G was accidentally published on an Indian website before being removed and it had a snapdragon 610 CPU with 2 gigs of RAM which would be sweet.

Hey did it mention a release date?

• Advertisement
Advertisement